To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Sterling or Coutinho / Firmino?

A forum for comment and discussion on Fantasy PremierLeague.com (FPL) Teams. Post your Rate My Team (RMT) messages here!

Which mid to go along with Sanchez, Walcott, Milner, Allen (plus Aguero, Lukaku and Austin)

Sterling
7%
Coutinho
24%
Firmino
45%
Lallana
10%
Other
14%

Total votes: 29

scarletjim
Dumbledore

Sterling or Coutinho / Firmino?

Post by scarletjim »

On my WC this week, and all week I've had Sterling in my draft due to the good fixtures coming up, and me not owning KdB (though I do have Aguero)). However, with Sterling set to fall tonight, and Liverpool also having good games, I'm considering taking one of them instead. I already have Milner if that makes any difference. Underlying stats suggest that Firmino looks the most likely to get points, but he is being transferred in at a much lower rate than Coutinho, Lallana (also an option) and Milner, so obviously the masses don't agree. Any thoughts?

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Re: Sterling or Coutinho / Firmino?

Post by blahblah »

Lallana for me, as he seems to be the safest of their actual Midfielders. But you have Milner, so it may not be applicable.

(I can't see the attraction of Milner, btw, as set pieces aren't enough.)

Mav3rick
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FPL: 1082, 1201, 1800, 10203

The stats are dark and full of errors.

Post by Mav3rick »

You can certainly make an argument for giving Sterling a wide berth for now. Triggerlips has done similar and has actually taken Allen as a 4th mid for now with cash in the bank to upgrade. Riding a price train like that isn't the worst idea and you can bring Sterling (or someone else) back in a couple of GWs. The downside is that it (more or less) marries you to a transfer. I guess you could be looking at Son or Alli too although the potential for rotation scares me!

I wouldn't rule out a little punt on Sigurdsson either, with an expected/hopeful bump in form from the new manager, pens, two good fixtures and set pieces. We're expecting him to revert to number 10, but you never know he could play false 9 again too.

I own Sterling and will probably have to keep him through his drop anyway, but I'm not unhappy about holding him. I still think he plays in a team that are likely to put 4/5 past someone soon although SOU, wba isn't the best immediate fixture list in terms of strong opposing defences. However, if I had a luxury free transfer I think I would look at selling him (with a view to getting him back post-drop so keeping cash in the bank) and I think I'd punt on Siggy.

scarletjim
Dumbledore

Post by scarletjim »

blahblah wrote:Lallana for me, as he seems to be the safest of their actual Midfielders. But you have Milner, so it may not be applicable.

A midfielder under £7m who is on pens for a top 6 side should be a shoe-in, but he really does seem to have absolutely no other avenue for points I agree. Hence I'm currently playing with the idea of Lallana and Coutinho... I'm £0.2 short though...

scarletjim
Dumbledore

Post by scarletjim »

Mav3rick wrote:You can certainly make an argument for giving Sterling a wide berth for now. Triggerlips has done similar and has actually taken Allen as a 4th mid for now with cash in the bank to upgrade. Riding a price train like that isn't the worst idea and you can bring Sterling (or someone else) back in a couple of GWs. The downside is that it (more or less) marries you to a transfer. I guess you could be looking at Son or Alli too although the potential for rotation scares me!

I wouldn't rule out a little punt on Sigurdsson either, with an expected/hopeful bump in form from the new manager, pens, two good fixtures and set pieces. We're expecting him to revert to number 10, but you never know he could play false 9 again too.

I own Sterling and will probably have to keep him through his drop anyway, but I'm not unhappy about holding him. I still think he plays in a team that are likely to put 4/5 past someone soon although SOU, wba isn't the best immediate fixture list in terms of strong opposing defences. However, if I had a luxury free transfer I think I would look at selling him (with a view to getting him back post-drop so keeping cash in the bank) and I think I'd punt on Siggy.
Do you mean a short term punt with Siggy? I'm somewhat put off by upcoming games against Man U, Everton and Spurs, but this weekend he does have an excellent fixture. Is he more likely to score heavily than the Liverpool mids this weekend? Who knows... Is he likely to outscore them over the next say 4 to 6 GWs? Unlikely, as Liverpool have excellent games coming up. Dammit, wish I had another day to analyse, discuss and decide! :)

EDIT: You mention being 'married to a transfer' - many people on here advise that you should never end a wildcard with a transfer already planned, as you are almost certain to need it for something else when the time comes - I've had that in mind with this decision. However one of the Liverpool mids might well end up staying in my team, given their fixtures...

Mav3rick
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Mav3rick »

Yes, well two games and then re-assess as Sterling's fixtures are strong after the next 2. I'd probably think about a team with Sterling in it, and then "optimise" down to Siggy for a week or two which gives you two good fixtures and the price drop on Sterling. Siggy could even be a longer term punt, from GW13 he's an excellent option and Man Utd at home isn't scary really.
Last edited by Mav3rick on 22 Oct 2016, 11:04, edited 2 times in total.

Resonare
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Resonare »

blahblah wrote:Lallana for me, as he seems to be the safest of their actual Midfielders. But you have Milner, so it may not be applicable.

Lallana is good value but the Brazilians are worth the extra imo. I think most of us expect Firmino to end up with the highest score, but Coutinho still has the lion's share of chances right now.

But I agree that a Liv mid is better, especially with Sanchez :arrow: Kdb GW 11 on the cards.

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

scarletjim wrote: EDIT: You mention being 'married to a transfer' - many people on here advise that you should never end a wildcard with a transfer already planned, as you are almost certain to need it for something else

I wholeheartedly agree.

Mav3rick
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Mav3rick »

Regarding the "married" thing, I think you just want to avoid thoughts like "I'm going to do Ihenacho to Aguero next week", having a position that you need/want to upgrade in two/three weeks isn't that bad as the second half of the transfer (who you bring in) isn't set. Ultimately if you're happy long term with two Liverpool mids, I'd take that route, but if you're on the fence about Sterling, Liverpool mid, etc and want to keep an option open on him (which you seemed to want to do) then there might be different answers.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Btw: Soton's fixtures are decidedly dodgy.....

scarletjim
Dumbledore

Post by scarletjim »

blahblah wrote:Btw: Soton's fixtures are decidedly dodgy.....
Arghh don't do this to me now. :lol:
I intend to play 3-5-2 some weeks. Plus I couldn't find anyone else at a similar price. :)

Mav3rick
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Mav3rick »

scarletjim wrote:
I intend to play 3-5-2 some weeks. Plus I couldn't find anyone else at a similar price. :)
Try not to make any rushed changes now. If you were only on the fence about Sterling due to his impending drop, then my advice is just focus on that and don't spend any savings that you make in replacing him. I'd trust what you've planned over the last week and just make minor adjustments at this stage!

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Mav3rick wrote:
scarletjim wrote:
Try not to make any rushed changes now. If you were only on the fence about Sterling due to his impending drop, then my advice is just focus on that and don't spend any savings that you make in replacing him. I'd trust what you've planned over the last week and just make minor adjustments at this stage!
I only just noticed Austin, and I had considered him to beef up the midfield, but I couldn't be bothered to burn brain cells on it when I saw their fixtures :lol:

While I don't expect Citeh to keep a CS I doubt they will concede more than one so.....

Definitely a brave\stupid move.

Resonare
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Resonare »

scarletjim wrote: EDIT: You mention being 'married to a transfer' - many people on here advise that you should never end a wildcard with a transfer already planned, as you are almost certain to need it for something else
Depends on time frame and severity of the transfer. Planning a transfer in a couple weeks time gives you transfers in-between to resolve some pressing issues before then, but planning one the week after using WC doesn't. If more than one pressing issue arises then you either didn't WC well or got extremely unlucky with injuries or something like that, not much you can do about the latter.

Mav3rick
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Mav3rick »

blahblah wrote:
Mav3rick wrote:
scarletjim wrote:
I only just noticed Austin, and I had considered him to beef up the midfield, but I couldn't be bothered to burn brain cells on it when I saw their fixtures :lol:

While I don't expect Citeh to keep a CS I doubt they will concede more than one so.....

Definitely a brave\stupid move.
Well, I'm playing Austin this week so I'm going to call it "brave" :lol:

scarletjim
Dumbledore

Post by scarletjim »

Mav3rick wrote:
scarletjim wrote:
That's excellent advice, thanks. I was starting to panic, thinking about completely changing the whole team, but there really isn't time for that. I've gone with Coutinho as he is, as you say, an easy swap to Sterling soon if I want, as I haven't spent the slight saving (well, not all of it - the only last minute change I did do was to keep Holebas rather than switching to Pieters as planned, so £0.1m difference for me, as I got Holebas at £4.5m. For the games where I intend to play him, I actually slightly prefer Pieters due to fixtures, but Holebas will make me some cash, his relevant games are not too much different, and of course I can't ignore the attacking side of his game - I've never seen a central defender with so many shots! Given that either of them would only play 3 of the next 8 games, hopefully at least it is the right move financially, with the projected points side of it being roughly equal I think.

Thanks for your constructive last minute advice all - the FISO element of FPL makes it 100 times more enjoyable to play. :)

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

scarletjim wrote: Thanks for your constructive last minute advice all - the FISO element of FPL makes it 100 times easier to be shite
Corrected :lol:

scarletjim
Dumbledore

Post by scarletjim »

blahblah wrote:
scarletjim wrote: Thanks for your constructive last minute advice all - the FISO element of FPL makes it 100 times easier to be shite
Corrected :lol:
Have you seen my league position this year? I don't need any help from you lot at being shite... :lol:

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

I hadn't but there are always bad FISO banwagons like Janssen.....

Weisenwolf
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: 2,234 points; back when this was considered a good score....

Post by Weisenwolf »

blahblah wrote:I hadn't but there are always bad FISO banwagons like Janssen.....
I missed that one, unusual for me as I'm ever shite'r than Jim :lol:

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Weisenwolf wrote:
blahblah wrote:I hadn't but there are always bad FISO banwagons like Janssen.....
I missed that one, unusual for me as I'm ever shite'r than Jim :lol:
I was bitten early with Mandandandandanda

Weisenwolf
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: 2,234 points; back when this was considered a good score....

Post by Weisenwolf »

So I have Sterling & Walcott. Do I ship one of them for Mane/Coutinho/Firmino/Lallana ?

aiwnjoo
Treebeard

Post by aiwnjoo »

Double up Firmino and Coutinho.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “FPL Team Diaries & RMTs”