To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

STC - Splendiferous Tactical Conversation (17/18)

A forum for comment and discussion on Fantasy PremierLeague.com (FPL) Teams. Post your Rate My Team (RMT) messages here!
dino1980
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: FPL Best, 1,000th 2014-15.

Re: STC - Splendiferous Tactical Conversation

Post by dino1980 »

If you wanted to steal .5 from the defence then changing the 5.5 to Cedric could be the way to go. He looks the best of the 5m defenders for the start of the season.

The Username
Grumpy Old Man

Post by The Username »

dino1980 wrote: 24 Jul 2017, 12:50 If you wanted to steal .5 from the defence then changing the 5.5 to Cedric could be the way to go. He looks the best of the 5m defenders for the start of the season.
I have noticed a few 4.5/4.0 mill defender rotations to shave .5 mill if injury was to happen. Im currently sitting on Naughton and Rangel at Swansea.

Neath boy
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Egg Cup Premier league champions 2011-12 and 2012-13. Fiso H2H PremierLeague champion 2015/16. FISO Super League regular season champion 2016-17.

Post by Neath boy »

Be wary of Rangel. He is likely to be third choice right back as we are looking at signing another right back. Yaidom of Barnsley is quite likely I understand.

fred1266
Dumbledore
FS Record: EFCL Fantasy League & Jurassic League Winner 11/12, EFCL Fantasy League Winner 13/14. EFCL, FISO 5AS The Kangals, Jurassic League, 3DM PRINTERS TT & Trini Gunners Winner 14/15

Post by fred1266 »

MPTree wrote: 24 Jul 2017, 12:02 Hello, all. Nice to see everyone again. I've been lurking with nothing particularly noteworthy to offer, but am just starting to look at some rough drafts.

I have five players locked in, and everything else is pretty much up for grabs. I'm building a team around Kane and Lukaku (with the WBA goalies and Trippier the only other certainties). If one of Aguero or Jesus gets injured then I'll absolutely consider the other, but until that happens I just don't trust Pep enough not to rotate, no matter how it looks like the side is lining up. Injuries permitting, I'm not sure I could ever trust Aguero with the armband under Pep, which rules him out for now.

The emergence of Austin as an option in that 6.5 slot is hugely exciting. I'm looking at a structure along these lines:

WBA goalies
Trippier, 5.5, 4.5, 4.5, 4.5
9.5, 9.5, Willian, 6.0, RLC
Kane, Lukaku, Austin

- Two premium striker slots and two premium mid slots should allow for good flexibility hopping onto early season wagons.
- Kane and Lukaku look (to my eyes) like the two most proven and nailed premium forwards, so it feels reassuring to have them both.

DISLIKES:
- Lack of options in that 6.0 spot. Currently on Chadli, who I quite like given WBA's fixtures. I could always steal 0.5 from the defence (eek!) and have Tadic there. Hopefully someone in that price bracket will emerge as a good pick in the early GWs.
- Flexibility in defence is a bit of an issue - I've ruled out any 6.0 defenders without spending an extra transfer. I'm not overly concerned by this though since transfers in defence tend to be a little less urgent, especially in the carnage of the first few GWs.
- If Austin looks a rotation risk, who goes in that 6.5 slot?

For whatever it may be worth, that's where I'm at right now.
am currently having a similar thought as you

since don't like the 6.0 mid slot downgrade a 9.5 mid to a 8.0 mid i was thinking someone like Mkhit but he didn't look to good in yesterdays game

Austin only other option i think is Gayle at that 6.5 slot

and the defence really hard to know which 4.5 players are worth it

Cliffard
FISOhead

Post by Cliffard »

I was set on a 4-3-3 à la Mav, but couldn't fit Kane into it and be happy with all 11 starters. Now experimenting with a shift to 4-4-2 with a dead A3 and D5. Not very flexible, but all picks I'm confident in. Couldn't get Alonso. Pretty much rules out a 3rd elite fwd before WC. Even a 6.5 A3 would be tough to get.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Notned
FISO Knight

Post by Notned »

MPTree wrote: 24 Jul 2017, 12:02 Hello, all. Nice to see everyone again. I've been lurking with nothing particularly noteworthy to offer, but am just starting to look at some rough drafts.

I have five players locked in, and everything else is pretty much up for grabs. I'm building a team around Kane and Lukaku (with the WBA goalies and Trippier the only other certainties). If one of Aguero or Jesus gets injured then I'll absolutely consider the other, but until that happens I just don't trust Pep enough not to rotate, no matter how it looks like the side is lining up. Injuries permitting, I'm not sure I could ever trust Aguero with the armband under Pep, which rules him out for now.

The emergence of Austin as an option in that 6.5 slot is hugely exciting. I'm looking at a structure along these lines:

WBA goalies
Trippier, 5.5, 4.5, 4.5, 4.5
9.5, 9.5, Willian, 6.0, RLC
Kane, Lukaku, Austin

- Two premium striker slots and two premium mid slots should allow for good flexibility hopping onto early season wagons.
- Kane and Lukaku look (to my eyes) like the two most proven and nailed premium forwards, so it feels reassuring to have them both.

DISLIKES:
- Lack of options in that 6.0 spot. Currently on Chadli, who I quite like given WBA's fixtures. I could always steal 0.5 from the defence (eek!) and have Tadic there. Hopefully someone in that price bracket will emerge as a good pick in the early GWs.
- Flexibility in defence is a bit of an issue - I've ruled out any 6.0 defenders without spending an extra transfer. I'm not overly concerned by this though since transfers in defence tend to be a little less urgent, especially in the carnage of the first few GWs.
- If Austin looks a rotation risk, who goes in that 6.5 slot?

For whatever it may be worth, that's where I'm at right now.
Very similar to where I'm at mate.

Not a fan of the 6m midfield bracket though, so I've shaved a million off the second mid (Sane as it stands) and gone with Ramsey instead. An 8m United mid along with Zaha is another option for the two slots too, and I do quite like Tadic potentially as a fourth mid too.

Slim pickings on the cheaper striker. I'm on Gayle as it stands who seems a solid but unspectacular pick, but would probably switch to Austin if given assurances he is a starter. Kepping an eye on Iheanacho if he gets a move too, albeit that would require a slight tweak elsewhere.

Defence I've essentially gone with Cedric as D3 and a 4m bench warmer rather than the 3 way rotation, but Lindelof could sway me to adopt your strategy should he not look nailed..

PleasedToMichu
FISOhead

Post by PleasedToMichu »

I'll provide my current draft aswell, a 343, with some explanations.

Foster - Myhill

I would love a regular starting 4.0 from another team. A backup from the same team fills up a spot from the actuall team and limits our choosing elsewhere if wanted. Generally speaking ofc, I don't see myself wanting loads of WBA-players regularry. But for now it's them.

Alonso, Cedric, Dawson, 4.5, 4.0

I'll come back to this, but I try out an Alonso-team atm, but it's hard to make the whole team balanced. Cedric and Dawson is due to their starting fixtures, but I expect it to be different post WC (perhaps three rotating 4.5). 4.0-defender deadspot until WC.

Salah, Pogba, Willian, Ramsey, 4.5

The picks is mostly that I want two from 8.0-9.5 bracket and two from the 7.0 bracket. Again I will come back to the structure-problems at the end, but Salah and Pogba is 17.0, and I might want up to 18.5 (even 19.0) for those two spots.

Mane would probably be prefered, but I've read good reports about Salah's involvements so far. And since Mane still is early in recovery after his operation Salah seems a good bet from the start. I generally fancy Liverpool to have a good start offensively. The 0.5 saving also come in handy.

Pogba should be a safe starter at least, and with their fixtures at the start he's involved in my drafts so far. Suspect to changes in friendlies of cource.

Willian and Ramsey could well be other promising 7.0 (Zaha e.g, as I understand it he was dangerous against their friendly against LFC). West-Ham options of Lanzini/Arna/Ayew and Antonio at 0.5 more is also on my watchlist. Tadic is also an option with their starting fixtures. I generally see potential good value between 6.5/7.5 mids and will try to have two spots for them.

M5 position is open to changes, a regular starting 4.5 is prefered.

Kane, Aguero, 6.5

Two premiums here is fairly regular, and like Alonso I would like to see if I can build a team around Kane at the same time. Aguero over Lukaku for now.

Over to my problems with this structure. Ideally I would love to have 0.5 ITB so I'm not forced to early price movements. I'm afraid of what happens if Alonso/Kane hit it from the start, price-wise. I already shaved D5, and I will struggle if I want to upgrade M1/M2 to 9.5 (Alli, Mane or similar). 6.5 striker also have some questionmarks, I have Austin atm. Gayle is probably the other serious contender for now. I don't like the 7.5-8.5 bracket though, think Defoe/King/Benteke is priced to high, Firminho more an enabler for the mids than a 15-25 goalscorer, and Vardy if Mahrez is off seems unwise to me.

Sutter Kane
Dumbledore
FS Record: Unknown.

Post by Sutter Kane »

With Hazard possibly making the start of the season, will the two behind Morata be Haz and Pedro now, in at least one of the first two games?

fred1266
Dumbledore
FS Record: EFCL Fantasy League & Jurassic League Winner 11/12, EFCL Fantasy League Winner 13/14. EFCL, FISO 5AS The Kangals, Jurassic League, 3DM PRINTERS TT & Trini Gunners Winner 14/15

Post by fred1266 »

Sutter Kane wrote: 24 Jul 2017, 18:59 With Hazard possibly making the start of the season, will the two behind Morata be Haz and Pedro now, in at least one of the first two games?
behind or you mean supporting him i expect Hazard and a rotation between Pedro and Willian

PleasedToMichu
FISOhead

Post by PleasedToMichu »

I find these quotes from Klopp interesting;
Asked if Mane’s position would be changing, Klopp said: “In specific games, yes, it’s possible.

“But Sadio could play on the right and Mo could play as the No 10. No problem.

“Mo can even play as the No 9. He was the striker, the second striker, at times for Roma. We have lots of different options."

Joccki_10
Grumpy Old Joker
FS Record: 16/17: 55 OR, 1 FISO Forum, 1 NLD and FISO Cup Winner

Post by Joccki_10 »

It seems like we have A LOT more participants in our STC league the coming season.

22 so far. How nice would it be if everyone introduced himself? Or is it just my curiosity? ;)

Beerfuelledman
FISO Knight
FS Record: FISO 17/18 FPL Cash Draft League Winner

Post by Beerfuelledman »

Joccki_10 wrote: 25 Jul 2017, 09:47It seems like we have A LOT more participants in our STC league the coming season.

22 so far. How nice would it be if everyone introduced himself? Or is it just my curiosity? ;)

If I am provided with what FISO username goes with what name in the league I (or another Mod) can edit them into the second post. I made a start.

Beerfuelledman
FISO Knight

Post by Beerfuelledman »

On an unrelated related matter; and in particular following a lot of Kodi suppliers upping the cost to view matches SkySports have made a somewhat welcome move in creating a Premier league channel for £18 a month. (By Comparison Sportsmania on Kodi were £17 for 3 months last year up to £12 a month this year). Theres another "Football" channel aimed at Championship & La Liga etc which can be had for an additional £4 a month.

Ive just signed up to Premier League Football for £18 a month. Top effort Sky.

Cliffard
FISOhead

Post by Cliffard »

Joccki_10 wrote: 25 Jul 2017, 09:47 It seems like we have A LOT more participants in our STC league the coming season.

I'd love to compete, if there's a spot. Can't find a code though, after very little looking.

As for an introduction, I'm Norwegian, 27 years, been playing since 07/08, finished in the 4k last season for the 2nd time, I browse a lot, and I aim to post more frequently. :D

asm_fanz
Grumpy Old Frog

Re: STC - Superior Tactical Conversation

Post by asm_fanz »

Code is on the first page ;)
Beerfuelledman wrote: 12 Jul 2017, 18:18
TheBigLewandowski wrote:Will there be a league set up for statistical cave dwellers? Hoping to be more active in the thread this season! So many great discussions. :)
Code to join this league: 2179-2129

maradonash
Red & Blue Braces

Post by maradonash »

Beerfuelledman wrote: 25 Jul 2017, 10:55 On an unrelated related matter; and in particular following a lot of Kodi suppliers upping the cost to view matches SkySports have made a somewhat welcome move in creating a Premier league channel for £18 a month. (By Comparison Sportsmania on Kodi were £17 for 3 months last year up to £12 a month this year). Theres another "Football" channel aimed at Championship & La Liga etc which can be had for an additional £4 a month.

But don't you still have to take their Basic Bundle @ £22 per month as well?

If it was £18 full-stop, then I'd consider that fair & reasonable.
But I have no immediate need to have G.o.T in my life. :cry:

Cliffard
FISOhead

Post by Cliffard »

My latest thought is this: Boy does a team look better with a 6.5 fwd.

The bad thing is, we don't know who, if any, we can trust from the beginning. The good thing is, IMO, after GW 1 the usual suspects have extremely nice fixtures. In fact their teams are the top 3 when sorting for attack, in this range, on the FFS ticker.

GW 2-5 fixtures

Gayle: hud, WHU, swa, STK

Austin/Gabbi: WHU, hud, WAT, cry

JRod: bur, STK, bha, WHU

So you can easily make the switch to whoever you prefer, and hope to be set for some time (or up until WC). Of course this hinges upon one of them starting well, or at least starting and not being subbed. And of course it could very well mean having to spend a transfer in this position early on if you get it obviously wrong, whereas with an elite forward the rational might've been to be patient and keep him, thinking there's a better chance he'll come good anyway.

I'll be experimenting with some Austin/Gayle teams today.

fred1266
Dumbledore

Post by fred1266 »

Joccki_10 wrote: 25 Jul 2017, 09:47 It seems like we have A LOT more participants in our STC league the coming season.

fred1266 FC - fred12266

I Am Ville
Red & Blue Braces
FS Record: FPL Best 5,025 (16/17)

Post by I Am Ville »

I am Greg Hill, manager of Payne 'n Niasse

FISO member for just 9 months
Soon-to-be 1st time Dad
FPL addict
Retired Poker Player
Born-again golfer.

Good luck all.

Stemania
FISO Jedi Knight
Location: On the Iron Throne of xG, the seat of The Crown Prince of the Stat Perverts. Or if not, in the STC!
FS Record: Best: TFF 321st. FPL 129th. FFS Career HoF Peak 2nd (Live 1st). Ability since lost.

Post by Stemania »

Gonna be honest, Alonso is continuing to make quite a pre-season case for that premium defender slot. More attacking returns today (a goal) and Alex Sandro still not signed. A bit like the 10.5m striker and 7m midfielder slots, I'm really starting to like the depth there but which individual is going to be the best early bet doesn't seem clear.

(Perhaps in the 7m slot Willian is still heavy favourite, though I did notice Morata played with Bats when he came on today rather than instead of - maybe just because Pedro is out though.)

fred1266
Dumbledore

Post by fred1266 »

Stemania wrote: 25 Jul 2017, 14:40 Gonna be honest, Alonso is continuing to make quite a pre-season case for that premium defender slot. More attacking returns today (a goal) and Alex Sandro still not signed. A bit like the 10.5m striker and 7m midfielder slots, I'm really starting to like the depth there but which individual is going to be the best early bet doesn't seem clear.

(Perhaps in the 7m slot Willian is still heavy favourite, though I did notice Morata played with Bats when he came on today rather than instead of - maybe just because Pedro is out though.)
didn't see the game today how did Willian look

Stemania
FISO Jedi Knight
Location: On the Iron Throne of xG, the seat of The Crown Prince of the Stat Perverts. Or if not, in the STC!
FS Record: Best: TFF 321st. FPL 129th. FFS Career HoF Peak 2nd (Live 1st). Ability since lost.

Post by Stemania »

Oh, I didn't see it (it's a faux pas at work :P ), but noticed Alonso scored (from another shot in the box) and has continued to take some attacking freekicks. Also noted that Morata came on for Boga rather than Bats. :mrgreen:

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

fred1266 wrote: 25 Jul 2017, 14:47 didn't see the game today how did Willian look
A shorter and maybe slightly darker Luiz?

Calvin1979
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Ruined by real life responsibilities

Post by Calvin1979 »

Beerfuelledman wrote: 25 Jul 2017, 10:55 On an unrelated related matter; and in particular following a lot of Kodi suppliers upping the cost to view matches SkySports have made a somewhat welcome move in creating a Premier league channel for £18 a month. (By Comparison Sportsmania on Kodi were £17 for 3 months last year up to £12 a month this year). Theres another "Football" channel aimed at Championship & La Liga etc which can be had for an additional £4 a month.

I pay £50 a year for an excellent sports and movies package - DM me for details.

Back on topic, here's where I'm at:

Foster (Myhill)
Trippier, Cedric, Daniels, 4.5 (4.5)
Mane / Salah + 0.5, Willian, Ramsey (Chabloah, Carroll)
Kane, Lukaku, Jesus

Probably change a few times before the deadline though.

Good luck all!

gingafalcao
Red & Blue Braces
FS Record: FPL : 121th
FPL : 2018/19 : 1st Belgium

Post by gingafalcao »

fred1266 wrote: 25 Jul 2017, 14:08

I am the 27th and delighted to join you
Gingafalcao - Blues_stars

Draft 1: 5-3-2

Foster Myhill
Milner Trippier Lindelof Cédric Dawson
Alli Coutinho Willian Rlc Chabolah
Kane Lukaku Depoitre

Milner may very well become a defender of Chelsea and downgrade Depoitre will bring Alonso.
Alli can become debruyne by downgrading Depoitre.

Draft 2: 5-2-3

Foster Myhill
Milner Trippier Lindelof Cédric Dawson
Coutinho Willian Rlc Chabolah Carroll
Kane Lukaku Jésus

I'm really into the idea of going with one of the two drafts for the first 3 gameweek and maybe even the 7.
Excellent timing for defenders during 7 gameweeks and I could consider my wildcard for the 8th gameweek after the international break.
Five defenders may be a crazy bet, but can prove a winning bet.
Obviously, by the 11th of August many things can still happen so nothing definitive.

PleasedToMichu
FISOhead

Post by PleasedToMichu »

Calvin1979 wrote: 25 Jul 2017, 19:14 I pay £50 a year for an excellent sports and movies package - DM me for details.
Does this work outside GB? In Norway PL via cableTV costs around 45 GBP a month..

asm_fanz
Grumpy Old Frog

Post by asm_fanz »

Chicharito comes in at 7.0m, which I think is a kind price. Too bad his first 2 fixtures aren't great

Stemania
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Stemania »

asm_fanz wrote: 26 Jul 2017, 12:15 Chicharito comes in at 7.0m, which I think is a kind price. Too bad his first 2 fixtures aren't great
Agreed. Is anyone else being inextricably lured towards Austin by the way....?

Beerfuelledman
FISO Knight

Post by Beerfuelledman »

On the one hand - Let the masses buy him now, watch him struggle in GW 1 & 2 then pick him up for 6.9 in GW3...
On the other - he may have a point to prove against Man Utd and be 7.2 by GW3...

And yes - still on Austin here.

asm_fanz
Grumpy Old Frog

Post by asm_fanz »

Stemania wrote: 26 Jul 2017, 12:20
asm_fanz wrote: 26 Jul 2017, 12:15 Chicharito comes in at 7.0m, which I think is a kind price. Too bad his first 2 fixtures aren't great
Agreed. Is anyone else being inextricably lured towards Austin by the way....?
Oh I very much am, he hasn't left my last 300 drafts so that's rather telling :mrgreen: IF we get some kind of confirmation he's the main striker at Southampton rather than Gabbiadini, I think he's too good of an option to pass up on given fixtures and price

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “FPL Team Diaries & RMTs”