To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

2018/19 Sidegames - Are you up for running a FISO competition?

A Forum for all Fantasy PremierLeague.com (FPL) Links, Mini-Leagues and Side Games (i.e. inter-FISO competitions run by FISO users)
MoSe
Dumbledore
FS Record: FISODAS CUP Winner Season 25
FISO H2H Winner: 15/16 Div2 - 16/17 Div1
FISO Mirror: 16/17 PL Winner

Re: 2018/19 Sidegames - Are you up for running a FISO competition?

Post by MoSe »

RPG, I took on using the online Google Sheet because it was the only mean I had to update it each evening during the weekend.
Then, as capturing and attaching screenshots from excel tables is a bit more taxing, I let it as the only source for info, except for the HoF between rounds.
I know that tables attached as images on posts would be better (discontinuing them was partly the consequence of what I have explained Vid via PM) . But I came to feel that some features are even easier and cooler to do with online sheets.
The detailed tables for 5AS are great, and Live Score a game-experience changing tool.
But I for instance regret I can't access past weeks details or season data. Which can be done in my game online Sheet ;)

Anyway, the purpose of this post was to object I wouldn't want to go against Andybarrel for instance, who moved his game tables and info on a website.
Maybe such tool best suits him, indeed it is imho a step up from when he linked to images taken from excel. And he is always responsive to correct and tweak it, and to keep it up to date.

MoSe
Dumbledore

Post by MoSe »

fred1266 wrote: 06 May 2018, 21:55
Tacalabala wrote: 06 May 2018, 16:28
fred1266 wrote: 06 May 2018, 15:54 there was a competition name Fiso what If haven't seen it for a while wouldn't mine running it if still available
I'm sorry Fred, what do you mean?
there was a competition named What If (If am not mistaken)

the premise of it was if you played the right person from the bench you get his points (it was so long ago i vaguely remember iit)
Wasn't it from bspittles?
Or someone else with initial b
It was just a comparison between your team and the ideal one, had you made all the right choices with your XV. Of course the ranking was by your "ideal" team points, as if you were a perfect manager ;)
EDIT-----------
No, it was actually tenpinterry!
One of his many merits
viewtopic.php?f=82&t=116979
I figure that figuring out the ideal team couldn't be automated. It had to be done manually for each team week in week out!
A sizeable commitment :o

RomynPG
Dumbledore
FS Record: FPL 134 overall 06/07 ... never close since

Post by RomynPG »

MoSe wrote: 06 May 2018, 23:14 RPG, I took on using the online Google Sheet because it was the only mean I had to update it each evening during the weekend.
Then, as capturing and attaching screenshots from excel tables is a bit more taxing, I let it as the only source for info, except for the HoF between rounds.
I know that tables attached as images on posts would be better (discontinuing them was partly the consequence of what I have explained Vid via PM) . But I came to feel that some features are even easier and cooler to do with online sheets.
I fully understand your reasons for doing it the way you do - taking screenshots etc is the thing that takes most time for me in 5AS - once the season is set up each GW literally takes seconds on a button push ... and then comes the 10 image captures, uploading and posting. I love to be able to fully automate it on a backend while still presenting it within the game thread. (For 5AS the inline visuals have always been important - logos etc)
MoSe wrote: 06 May 2018, 23:14 The detailed tables for 5AS are great, and Live Score a game-experience changing tool.
But I for instance regret I can't access past weeks details or season data. Which can be done in my game online Sheet ;)
True. It's never been available in 5AS although the data is all still there somewhere. It's something I'd like to improve - although it's more likely that Sharagoz could do it more easily than me. If the iframe embed idea off the ground it would be even easier.

Keep up the great work :D

jeffmcgow
Dumbledore
FS Record: FPL - FISO Mirror League 1st 2015-16 | Sun - Cheap as Chips Conference 1st 2014-15 & 2015-16

Post by jeffmcgow »

The Decimation League will be back next season. I also have plans for another competition, The Tortoise and the Hare, inspired by a comment made by MoSe after he'd watched the Winter Olympics biathlon.

I know they are not side games, but I'll also be doing a couple of cash leagues: one at £10 and one with an entry fee still to be decided. Poll Here

bspittles
Dumbledore

Post by bspittles »

I ran a coach driving comp many years ago, until personal circumstances took me away from the forum. I'd love to do that again, but don't have the time.

My favourite game of all time was based on the London Underground map, I think that was using UFPL.

I also really like the idea of using a weekly score as a dice throw, and setting up a monopoly or backgammon game. Something to ponder in the Summer.

Aldershot Rejects
Dumbledore
FS Record: 5th Metro (2010-11); 146 - Sky (2015-16); 218 - Sky (2014-15); 386 - Sky (2020-21); 636 - FPL (2017-18); last 16 Sky Cup (2018-19)

Post by Aldershot Rejects »

I'm loving the creativity and the ideas on here.

MoSe
Dumbledore

Post by MoSe »

bspittles wrote: 07 May 2018, 14:13I also really like the idea of using a weekly score as a dice throw, and setting up a monopoly ... game.
it could have
- Big Chances
- Community Shield
cards!
the Jail is a Ban
and so on
:D

RomynPG
Dumbledore

Post by RomynPG »

bspittles wrote: 07 May 2018, 14:13 I also really like the idea of using a weekly score as a dice throw, and setting up a monopoly or backgammon game. Something to ponder in the Summer.

Snakes and Ladders could also work well for a dice based game - could have fun visuals.

While I'd really like to bring the Global Challenge back it's a bit heavy for me for next season but there were two aspects to that that could work in something else - one was that it had distance and direction elements and the other that it was map based - Google Earth in the case of the Challenge but Maps is also a possibility.

For distance/direction I'm thinking Snail racing - start at the center of a circle with the aim of getting to the edge and for Maps something that uses the various EPL team locations/grounds.

Games where doing well in FPL doesn't automatically translate to doing well in the sidegame are always good candidates as that keeps interest up when you're having a not-so-good season.

There are also possibilities for games that are short - a couple of weeks or months - that contribute to an overall table. That would allow people to run games without having to commit a huge amount of time. If there were enough of those it could be a season long league with a big variety of mini-games. Working title - Monkey Tennis - ahaa

Apart from the games themselves there's also the players - and the sidegames need more prominence in the main forum. To that end I think my Fixture Grid sticky should be expanded to cover useful links and sidegame announcements (in a style similar to FPL Mini Leagues & Side Games 08/09 - News & Announcements ). I hoped to do this this season but didn't get round to it.

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

Bingo would be easy to do.... but not sure if we’d get a winner.

A ‘card’ is draw up in August (say 20 numbers chosen at random).

We all play the same card.

As the season progresses if your GW ends on one of those number you scratch it off.

Send the royalties to my Seychelles account.

bspittles
Dumbledore

Post by bspittles »

I launched a Snakes and Ladders game but not many signed up. If I remember correctly, prime numbers were ladders and square numbers were snakes.

Tacalabala
FISO Knight

Post by Tacalabala »

MoSe wrote: 06 May 2018, 19:05 It would be a pity to see FISO H2H discontinued.

Mostly what's needed is to rearrange divisions and collect registrations,
set up the H2H leagues, then HERD those who registered to actually JOIN them.
Then frantically deal in a couple days with those who registered but failed to show up 10 days later, and further replace them. Luckily there's usually a long enough waiting list to replace those id...

That's mainly a pre-season effort, then you sit back and forget.
Like the game historical admin did last season... Stemania posted the topic in his place, but I subsidized for all the legwork, and don't think I'll take it on again.
MawoL said 2 seasons ago he wanted to pass on the game to another admin, then last season he said no I'd keep on but work is still preventing my commitment, this season who knows but I wouldn't count on him... (?)
fred said two season ago he'd step on, but last season when someone was needed he must have completely forgotten his offer
Just having a think about this, I think a lot of the hassle is because we're trying to shepherd people into joining up in a very short amount of time and to a tight deadline.

FPL opened on July 12, the season started on August 11. That's a little over four weeks. Ideally, you want to have the divisions filled in sequence, so you know if vacancies have to be filled. I think a week is a reasonable time window to give people, it only take 10 minutes to sign up after all. Our problem is that there are five divisions if I've counted correctly, too many. Therefore, maybe we'd have to think about this:

Format changes - three tiers, 'Premier League' of 20 with 6-10 to be relegated, 'EFL' of 20 with 6-10 promoted and 10 relegated, +3 'National Leagues' of max 20 teams each with champions and best performers across the NL promoted

Week 1 - Premier League to join
Week 2 - EFL to join, vacancies in Premier League available on a first come-first served basis
Week 3+4 - National League to join, managers can choose any of the NLs not already at the maximum of 20, vacancies in EFL available to returning managers from 2017/18 on a first come-first served basis

Not saying it's perfect, but it's a workable compromise.

MoSe
Dumbledore

Post by MoSe »

hhmmm... so you'd stagger the deadlines....
I took it on last season just as MvL was doing it usually, some days late even on his schedule.

I think the deadline was common to all divisions not as much because a vacancy in PL would leave everybody hanging (in wait to know wheter a ripple-effect was needed to fill up a top spot), but just because MvL thought it left enough time to create the leagues and PM everybody to join.
In the end, at his set deadline there always were enough new entrants to fill up the exixting players vacancy and form all 5 Divisions, with some left out in a waiting list. So the deadline was not to wait for lack of entrants, but to give returning players who were on holidays a resonable time to show up.

Forcing to close the PL list earlier would give the admin some leeway, but it will NOT solve the problem imho of those who sign up even for top tiers, KNOWING they'll have to be around few days later to join the actual league before the season start, and then regularly fail to show up.
If you don't want to play the game fine, but if you say you'll play you should have the decence to be vigil and don't go awol for the only moment you're required an action (Join a league)
Last season there were 7 out of 120 IIRC.
Closing the lists earlier would make seeking the replacement a little less frantic.
But I don't think staggering the deadlines woul really help in that sense, just set an earlier than usual deadline for all and set a snapshot at that moment for all tiers

MoSe
Dumbledore

Post by MoSe »

I remember discussing the tight schedule via PM with Stemania

From last season sign up topic, I can gather these dates

viewtopic.php?f=82&t=125049&start=60

3 Aug - signup deadline
4 Aug ~noon - Divisions set leagues created and PM sent with Join code
8 Aug noon - Join deadline - 7 awol - PM sent both to the awol ones and those in waiting list, in Division order
8 Aug midnight - all leagues complete

11 Aug - season start (on a Friday evening)

so, we had signup deadline 8 days before season start
4 days window from the day after at noon to Join your league, up until 3 days before s.s.
this left up to 3 days to complete the leagues before GW1 deadline, luckily it just took us 12hrs

This was for sure a shorter schedule than MvL used to have, we could chek it in the topic from 2 season ago, but I don't think that much shorter
We could set signup deadline 2 weeks in advance of season start, for all divisions, and Join deadline 1 week in advance
or 20 days (~3 weeks) and 10 days
without the need to with no need imho to rehaul the simple Divisions structure, nor to close PL lists earlier.

the big question is:
will MvL be around again?
and stil interested / available to follow the needed steps?

Tacalabala
FISO Knight

Post by Tacalabala »

Just to clarify, the deadlines I'm setting out are for actually joining the league on FPL itself - you'd set up the leagues on FPL on day 1, and then release the codes at the appropriate time.

We have plenty of time though, MvL may want to do it again anyway :)

Talkie Toaster
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Talkie Toaster »

Just a couple of thoughts:

Is there any need to wait until the fpl launch date before starting the recruitment thread or could it be started earlier, possibly allowing the sign-up deadline to be brought forward and allow more time for joining the leagues?

And secondly, could the join codes be sent out as soon as it is guaranteed which division someone will be in? So everyone who qualified for the PL can be sent their codes as soon as they sign up (after fpl has launched). Once you have 40 sign-ups you expect there will be at least 2 divisions, so if you have 15 signed up AND joined in the PL you can send out codes for the Championship league to all but the top 5 from that division that have signed up at that point. This way by the time you get to the sign-up deadline there should be a much smaller number that still need to join their leagues either because they have been absent or there remained a doubt about which league they would end up in.

MoSe
Dumbledore

Post by MoSe »

Practical considerations:
(the apply mostly to FISO H2H, not necessarily to other sidegames)

- you'd require player to first reserve a place, then communicate their team link, then to join the actual league.
One more "contact" when someone already struggled to respect two ;)
Or, you could not require to communicate their team link until they join up. That would be a good deal of trust, we reserve a place to someone we're not sure he has registered an FPL team yet. And despite I'm the sneaky master of who's who, it's not sure we can match a Fisoer with a new team name and manager, requiring anyway to post it.
Tldr: more management

- that would require multiple PMs as new players join a divisions... :? You gain something, you take on a new burden....

It's that usually, even under MvL (I mean, the *active* one :P), the Join deadline was few days in advance of season start. And that made me anxious.
Move that fwd so that it's at least1 week, and have someone else chase replacements, and the problem is solved. :mrgreen:

Tacalabala
FISO Knight

Post by Tacalabala »

As we already know who should be in the Premier League and Championship, you only need them to join the league on FPL, it's not necessary for them to register here as well - just send the PM out on day 1, if they don't join in time, too bad someone else will replace them.

If it's a matter of knowing who is who, I'm going to start recording FPL manager names for Spring League as that is something that can't be changed from season to season, so it should be straight forward even if they change team names.

MoSe
Dumbledore

Post by MoSe »

Look, that's only what MvL did and I maintained.
If someone else takes on he'll manage as he likes. :)
The above were just my considerations from last season experience.

The difference about replacements, is that after registration deadline, you fill up with best teams following the divisions ladder. After joining deadline, you replace with waiting list first come first served.
Anyway, anything can be changed if the admin wants.

RomynPG
Dumbledore

Post by RomynPG »

Hopefully it will be easier to do the cat herding this year as people will hang around a bit more in the off season for the World Cup.

2018/19 Fixtures come out as the World Cup starts and FPL should go live(?) soon after it ends.

RomynPG
Dumbledore

Post by RomynPG »

Couldn't think of anywhere to put this so here is as good as any.....

It appears hotlinked photobucket images are working again :shock: - most anyway - so old threads have got a bit of colour back in them and content back :D

Not sure how long it will last but maybe pb decided that charging $400 a year for hotlinking wasn't working out for them.

:P

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

bspittles wrote: 07 May 2018, 14:13 I ran a coach driving comp many years ago, until personal circumstances took me away from the forum. I'd love to do that again, but don't have the time.

My favourite game of all time was based on the London Underground map, I think that was using UFPL.

I also really like the idea of using a weekly score as a dice throw, and setting up a monopoly or backgammon game. Something to ponder in the Summer.
Weren;t you the only one who understood it?

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

bspittles wrote: 07 May 2018, 16:45 I launched a Snakes and Ladders game but not many signed up. If I remember correctly, prime numbers were ladders and square numbers were snakes.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

As with the Tube one.

I was tempted this season to to AKNel's Higher\lower and could well do next term as it may help me focus etc.

bspittles
Dumbledore

Post by bspittles »

I have an idea for a monopoly-style game based on the London Underground map. I think it would take quite a lot of effort to run it, so would like to gauge interest first.

Moves and income based on GW score, buy stations and charge rent when they are landed on. Any appeal?

Tacalabala
FISO Knight

Post by Tacalabala »

If you search 'Underground' you should be able to find a sidegame I ran for UFPL that is really similar. It was a DIY setup but a lot of people enjoyed it.

bspittles
Dumbledore

Post by bspittles »

Tacalabala wrote: 31 May 2018, 14:37 If you search 'Underground' you should be able to find a sidegame I ran for UFPL that is really similar. It was a DIY setup but a lot of people enjoyed it.
It was brilliant, probably my favourite ever side game :-)

Tacalabala
FISO Knight

Post by Tacalabala »

bspittles wrote: 31 May 2018, 19:05
Tacalabala wrote: 31 May 2018, 14:37 If you search 'Underground' you should be able to find a sidegame I ran for UFPL that is really similar. It was a DIY setup but a lot of people enjoyed it.
It was brilliant, probably my favourite ever side game :-)
:) Thank you, it was a right headache to organise because there are quite a lot of different things that didn't occur to me initially when writing up the rules, so you'll have my undying admiration if you can make a go of a FPL version!

Mystery
FISO Knight
FS Record: 116th in TFF 05/06

Post by Mystery »

Tempting...

Anyway, while I ponder that there's a thread for budding decathletes elsewhere right now.

fred1266
Dumbledore
FS Record: EFCL Fantasy League & Jurassic League Winner 11/12, EFCL Fantasy League Winner 13/14. EFCL, FISO 5AS The Kangals, Jurassic League, 3DM PRINTERS TT & Trini Gunners Winner 14/15

Post by fred1266 »

Tacalabala
FISO Knight

Post by Tacalabala »

I'm going to unsticky this, have edited OP to include a share link to the Rugby Championship concept spreadsheet

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “FPL Links, Mini-Leagues & Side Games”