To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Blanks, DGWs, and those pesky chips (18/19) - Summary in OP

A Fantasy Football forum for news on fantasy football games run by the Premierleague (FPL).
Hornet boy
Treebeard
FS Record: Distinctly average!

Re: Blanks, DGWs, and those pesky chips (18/19) - BGW31 Finalised

Post by Hornet boy »

Aldershot Rejects wrote:
Hornet boy wrote: 19 Feb 2019, 18:25
Aldershot Rejects wrote:
snout wrote: 19 Feb 2019, 15:41
Does the use of the FH or BB chip count as one transfer? e.g. Do I carryover a second free transfer if I use the FH or BB chips? I'm hoping it's different to the wildcard where you do lose a stored transfer.
BB has no effect on transfers whatsoever so you can play your BB and carry over transfers.
FH effectively uses up your transfer(s), so you cannot carry a free transfer out of a FH.
Just a thought on this...what would happen if, for example, you had 2 free transfers going into say GW31 and used them prior to pressing the free hit chip that week?

When you get to GW32 does your team revert back to your GW30 team with the transfers you made prior to free hitting in GW31 disregarded? Or would it go back to the team you had immdiately prior to pressing the FH button in GW31, i.e. keeping the transfers you had already made?

Sorry if that is a basic question but this is my first season playing properly.
No problem. It goes back to your GW30 team.
Thanks. Thats a shame, I was hoping I could hold 2 transfers and make them with GW 33 in mind but also play the FH in 31. Back to the drawing board...

hancockjr
Dumbledore
FS Record: FPL: Not as good as it was, but still very respectable.

Post by hancockjr »

Does anyone actually enjoy this free hitting wildcard BB TC thinking? I find it a pain, would rather they didn't have chips apart from one wildcard in the season. I think I'll do well out of it, as I'll think hard, but would rather not have to do any of it and it's not what I consider FF is all about.

Have also always thought that TC and BB should only count for the first game a player plays, hence if he has a DGW he doesn't get the second game - would make for a lot more variety in when the chips are played.

Sutter Kane
Dumbledore
FS Record: Unknown.

Post by Sutter Kane »

It's obviously a gimmick to keep people interested - I quite like the chips (AOA aside) but could do without. I wouldn't complain at having more chips either but constraints as to when to use them. Alternatively I'd have no complaints if they stripped the whole thing back and removed all chips, including wildcards. In fact if I had to vote for an option, I'd vote for that! Would be great if you could play the games alongside each other in a season, no chips alongside what we have now.

sunbather
FISOhead
FS Record: Top 60k FPL finish seven years in a row, best result Top 2k

Post by sunbather »

Hornet boy wrote: 19 Feb 2019, 18:42
Aldershot Rejects wrote:
Hornet boy wrote: 19 Feb 2019, 18:25
Aldershot Rejects wrote:
snout wrote: 19 Feb 2019, 15:41
Does the use of the FH or BB chip count as one transfer? e.g. Do I carryover a second free transfer if I use the FH or BB chips? I'm hoping it's different to the wildcard where you do lose a stored transfer.
BB has no effect on transfers whatsoever so you can play your BB and carry over transfers.
FH effectively uses up your transfer(s), so you cannot carry a free transfer out of a FH.
Just a thought on this...what would happen if, for example, you had 2 free transfers going into say GW31 and used them prior to pressing the free hit chip that week?

When you get to GW32 does your team revert back to your GW30 team with the transfers you made prior to free hitting in GW31 disregarded? Or would it go back to the team you had immdiately prior to pressing the FH button in GW31, i.e. keeping the transfers you had already made?

Sorry if that is a basic question but this is my first season playing properly.
No problem. It goes back to your GW30 team.
Thanks. Thats a shame, I was hoping I could hold 2 transfers and make them with GW 33 in mind but also play the FH in 31. Back to the drawing board...
If you make the transfers, those are always permanent though right? So to answer Hornet's question, it will keep the transfers you made before hitting FH rather than disregarding them. Or am I mistaken?

I was thinking about that too, people considering FH32 WC 34 BB/TC 35 can use their free 32 transfer on a good 33 player potentially. I don't know if they let that transfer roll though if you don't use it.

Aldershot Rejects
Dumbledore
FS Record: 5th Metro (2010-11); 146 - Sky (2015-16); 218 - Sky (2014-15); 386 - Sky (2020-21); 636 - FPL (2017-18); last 16 Sky Cup (2018-19)

Post by Aldershot Rejects »

sunbather wrote: 19 Feb 2019, 21:53 If you make the transfers, those are always permanent though right? So to answer Hornet's question, it will keep the transfers you made before hitting FH rather than disregarding them. Or am I mistaken?
You are mistaken. When you hit FH it effectively undoes any transfer you have made that week.

sunbather
FISOhead
FS Record: Top 60k FPL finish seven years in a row, best result Top 2k

Chip strategy poll for final third of 18/19

Post by sunbather »

I've used the useful FFS article for my options, but I can always update the poll if there are more popular options I'm not aware of.

I'm leaning towards the first option personally: I like the idea of going full berserk on DGWs with FH and TC or BB. I also have five players for 31 already, so I don't need to disrupt my team too much to field 9 or 10. I would probably keep Jimenez, Rashford and Pogba on this plan though due to having money tied up in them.
Last edited by Stemania on 25 Feb 2019, 18:41, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added link to article. :p

raoul
Dumbledore
FS Record: Tied for OR 1st worldwide in FPL in GW5 in 21/22 (only to then finish 1m), and ranked 1st in TFF late in season 21/22 (eventual finish 95th). Won an old game called Football Fantastic. Best Fanteam finish 117th and cashed £150. Best FPL finish 2.4K.

Post by raoul »

Chelsea, Arsenal and Southampton will all likely double in GW32 as well as playing in GW33. Watford or CP will become a 4th team in this position. MC and BHA as well if they lose their QF.

So if FH31 is the plan, and not doing WC32 so looking to load up in advance, gradually bringing in players from those 3 teams (plus perhaps Wat and CP given one of them must join this list) would seem sensible.

Or am I missing something?

Stemania
FISO Jedi Knight
Location: On the Iron Throne of xG, the seat of The Crown Prince of the Stat Perverts. Or if not, in the STC!
FS Record: Best: TFF 321st. FPL 129th. FFS Career HoF Peak 2nd (Live 1st). Ability since lost.

Post by Stemania »

I think the Wolves vs Arsenal fixture could reasonably end up in either 32 or 35. In fact, placing it in GW35 is arguably the most sensible. A lot depends on whether a set of rearrangements are announced before GW31, or not.

If announced before GW31, then placing Wolves vs Arsenal in GW35 would have repercussions - it would mean the slots for the not-yet-postponed Man City vs Cardiff game and the postponed Wolves vs Man United game being moved forward to GW32, with the postponed Manchester derby being pushed back to GW35. Why bother? Because this arrangement would then ensure we wouldn't need a fourth DGW should Brighton lose.

Otherwise, assuming the postponed Chelsea vs Brighton game goes in GW32 (which is hefty favourite due to Chelsea/Spurs still being in the EL so being potentially screwed if they require the 4th DGW reliant on Brighton), rather than postponed Brighton vs Cardiff game going there, then we would still actually need a fourth DGW if City beat Swansea and Brighton lost to Milwall - this is because Cardiff would have two games to reschedule (mci, bha) and only one slot, having missed out on GW32

So, as usual, there are reasons to suggest the fixtures might not just fall chronologically. Though, if the rearrangements are all sorted after GW31 then the complete info is available the the FA, and frankly any order could happen. :)

raoul
Dumbledore
FS Record: Tied for OR 1st worldwide in FPL in GW5 in 21/22 (only to then finish 1m), and ranked 1st in TFF late in season 21/22 (eventual finish 95th). Won an old game called Football Fantastic. Best Fanteam finish 117th and cashed £150. Best FPL finish 2.4K.

Post by raoul »

Stemania wrote: 20 Feb 2019, 09:25I think the Wolves vs Arsenal fixture could reasonably end up in either 32 or 35. In fact, placing it in GW35 is arguably the most sensible. A lot depends on whether a set of rearrangements are announced before GW31, or not.

If announced before GW31, then placing Wolves vs Arsenal in GW35 would have repercussions - it would mean the slots for the not-yet-postponed Man City vs Cardiff game and the postponed Wolves vs Man United game being moved forward to GW32, with the postponed Manchester derby being pushed back to GW35. Why bother? Because this arrangement would then ensure we wouldn't need a fourth DGW should Brighton lose.

Otherwise, assuming the postponed Chelsea vs Brighton game goes in GW32 (which is hefty favourite due to Chelsea/Spurs still being in the EL so being potentially screwed if they require the 4th DGW reliant on Brighton), rather than postponed Brighton vs Cardiff game going there, then we would still actually need a fourth DGW if City beat Swansea and Brighton lost to Milwall - this is because Cardiff would have two games to reschedule (mci, bha) and only one slot, having missed out on GW32

So, as usual, there are reasons to suggest the fixtures might not just fall chronologically. Though, if the rearrangements are all sorted after GW31 then the complete info is available the the FA, and frankly any order could happen. :)
all of which is telling me to ignore GW32 for now, because until we get rescheduled dates it is a black hole of who knows what.

Bit like a business planning for Brexit in fact :roll:

Hang on, is GW32 the day after Brexit? Oh the irony...

Stemania
FISO Jedi Knight
Location: On the Iron Throne of xG, the seat of The Crown Prince of the Stat Perverts. Or if not, in the STC!
FS Record: Best: TFF 321st. FPL 129th. FFS Career HoF Peak 2nd (Live 1st). Ability since lost.

Post by Stemania »

Sutter Kane wrote: 19 Feb 2019, 18:38 Just browsing possibility of TC35 and BB36/7, seems doable perhaps. Means I could carry some cheapos like Boruc and Bednarek through from a GW34 WC and not have to over-spend on subs from GW34-38. Of course TC has to be workable in week 35 and I'm not convinced it's going to be.
This is an excellent point that hasn't been brought up. With Brighton vs Cardiff in a DGW36/37 arguably being the strong favourite for rearrangement if there is fourth DGW, then TC35 BB36/37 could be a great option for those with all chips - Cardiff have (ful, CRY) so could offer a nice cheap bench defence - amazingly Etheridge is already the second highest scoring GK in the game (!!) - similarly, Brighton could have (NEW, CAR) if in GW36, which could be amazing. Would be (ars, CAR) otherwise. :D

It is highly likely that both Brighton & Cardiff will already have a DGW35, so could turn out to be deserving of a place in all teams - would be potentially great choices for those BBing in GW35 too, in the knowledge that any slight bench overspend would be earning you an extra DGW from them down the line.

Tall Paul
Dumbledore

Post by Tall Paul »

Stemania wrote: 19 Feb 2019, 08:37 FFS have put up a pretty good article here summarising the same main three strategies recently discussed on FISO (for those with WC & FH left):

Strategy 1:
FH32, WC34, BB/TC35

Strategy 2:
WC32, FH33, BB/TC35

Strategy 3:
FH31, BB/TC32, WC34, TC/BB35

Anyone considering something different?
I'm now looking at FH31, BB32, WC33, TC35.

I only have three players with a game in GW31 and 11 potential doublers in GW32, which can be increased with free transfers to up to 15 for a GW 32 bench boost. Wildcarding in GW33 to enable at least 7 doublers in GW35 with free transfers.

sstaffsw
Grumpy Old Man

Post by sstaffsw »

Tall Paul wrote: 20 Feb 2019, 10:25
I'm now looking at FH31, BB32, WC33, TC35.

I only have three players with a game in GW31 and 11 potential doublers in GW32, which can be increased with free transfers to up to 15 for a GW 32 bench boost. Wildcarding in GW33 to enable at least 7 doublers in GW35 with free transfers.
Good thinking, TP.

I think I might do the same. I've just had a quick look and I reckon I'm in the same boat as you with my existing squad and potential doublers for GW32.

Brightwater
Grumpy Old Man
Location: ***** BrightwaterVilla.co.uk ***** lakeside at Lake Berkley Orlando /parkrunning
FS Record: 21 cash league wins. CYKI 08/09 4th, 09/10 8th. 12/13 Sky 56th, FPL FISO X League winner. 2014 UFPL Beta 7th.

Post by Brightwater »

Looking at GW31 free hit, it would be easy to field a decent team plus the luxury of playing subs -
Fabianski (heaton)
Robertson Rice Chilwell (cook (1) daniels)
Salah (c) Mane (v) Siggy Anderson Fraser
Higuain Vardy (rondon (2))

Finisher1
Dumbledore

Post by Finisher1 »

Brightwater wrote: 20 Feb 2019, 11:10 Looking at GW31 free hit, it would be easy to field a decent team plus the luxury of playing subs -
Fabianski (heaton)
Why do you need playing subs in your free hit team? That's a complete waste of money and points.

Brightwater
Grumpy Old Man
Location: ***** BrightwaterVilla.co.uk ***** lakeside at Lake Berkley Orlando /parkrunning
FS Record: 21 cash league wins. CYKI 08/09 4th, 09/10 8th. 12/13 Sky 56th, FPL FISO X League winner. 2014 UFPL Beta 7th.

Post by Brightwater »

Because there's spare money, and to cover rotation. Probably safe to have a 3.9 keeper and upgrade elsewhere.

Stemania
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Stemania »

I think a specific potential FH31 team discussion would be valuable (maybe deserving it's own thread at some point if anyone is so inclined) - it would be very useful as a yardstick for those building for GW31 with frees too, as essentially we'll be trying to approximate your best efforts. :mrgreen:

No Hazard Brightwater?

Finisher1
Dumbledore

Post by Finisher1 »

Brightwater wrote: 20 Feb 2019, 11:17 Because there's spare money, and to cover rotation. Probably safe to have a 3.9 keeper and upgrade elsewhere.
It's very unlikely that you need your bench players, and like you say it's possible to have 3.9m-4.1m playing subs which is completely enough.

If you take minimum price bench then you can upgrade Mane&Vardy to Hazard&Firmino, or Rice to Alonso or whatever you want to do. There are lots of possible upgrades to do in your squad.

Brightwater
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Brightwater »

Could do Hazard/dunno for Siggy/Higuain. That was a first stab and I was pleased to get a decent starting XI with money to spare. Downgrading bench and just keeping Cook as playing sub would release 2.4m.

Finisher1
Dumbledore

Post by Finisher1 »

Brightwater wrote: 20 Feb 2019, 11:34 Downgrading bench and just keeping Cook as playing sub would release 2.4m.
Yes, that would be a smart thing to do.

For example, if you have Fabianski then Boruc 4.0m is quite an obvious backup goalkeeper for you. And if you could use 0.1m elsewhere, then I'd even take a non-playing 3.9m goalkeeper. It's extremely unlikely that Fabianski would make a no-show without any warning before deadline.

Brightwater
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Brightwater »

Brightwater wrote: 20 Feb 2019, 11:10 Looking at GW31 free hit, it would be easy to field a decent team plus the luxury of playing subs -
Fabianski (heaton)
V2 with 2 playing subs, or bench striker could be downgraded if needed -
Boruc (3.9)
Alonso Cook Rice (diop (1) 3.8)
Salah (c) Mane (v) Hazard Anderson Fraser
Firmino Vardy (4.9 (2))

ajcairns
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Still Decidedly Average.

Post by ajcairns »

it's three and half weeks to the BGW so plenty of time to think about your teams (offline, or at viewtopic.php?f=18&t=129870)

Mr Clarinet
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Mr Clarinet »

Stemania wrote: 18 Dec 2018, 13:46 It's not just the holidays approaching, believe it or not we're now within 10 gameweeks of the first blank of the season! :shock:

Looking back at the OP, would it be reasonable to add

Bournemouth v Burnley
Chelsea v W Ham
Everton v Ars
Hudds v Leics
Saints v Pool

as GW33 fixtures that are definitely ON?

raoul
Dumbledore

Post by raoul »

Mr Clarinet wrote: 20 Feb 2019, 16:59
Stemania wrote: 18 Dec 2018, 13:46 It's not just the holidays approaching, believe it or not we're now within 10 gameweeks of the first blank of the season! :shock:

Bournemouth v Burnley
Chelsea v W Ham
Everton v Ars
Hudds v Leics
Saints v Pool

Mr Clarinet wrote: 20 Feb 2019, 16:59

Bournemouth v Burnley
Chelsea v W Ham
Everton v Ars
Hudds v Leics
Saints v Pool

if you go back 1 page on this thread, you will see our great clarinetting minds think alike :D

Vsz
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Won lots of cash leagues and was once, very briefly, top of TFF. Finished 15th too. Various top 5K and 10K FPL finishes

Post by Vsz »

Just wanted to share my plan with you guys, so please let me think if bonkers or not...I hope this is sort of clear. If I'm honest, not certain of my own plans/thinking, so hard to put down on paper (screen!).

I have all my chips in play.

I'm just within top 5K currently. Had 2FT this week, but already used one which was Digne to Kolasinac.

My team for this week is currently as follows (and please note for strategy going forward):

Hamer (HUD), Ederson (CITY - blank)
Shaw (UTD), Robertson (LIV), Doherty (WOL), Kolasinac (ARS), Bennett (WOL)
Pogba (UTD), Salah (LIV), Son (TOT), Sane (CITY - blank), Schneiderlin (EVE - blank, and never plays, so always blanks!)
Frimino (LIV), Rashford (UTD), Jiminez (WOL)

I can get a team out this week just about. Ederson, Sane and Schneiderlin all blank (re the latter, see above), but I don't know if Hamer will play or not? He played last week but I think not likely again this GW?

My plan then, going forward, is pretty much to get mostly Chelsea and Arsenal players only. Reason being that they play DGW32 AND (importanly) GW33. Plus, they have pretty good fixtures for all 6 of those games between them (Ars have NEW, wol, eve, Chels have car, BHA, WHU).

The problem I have is that I intend on FH31, TC32 (so build for 32), ride out 33 with a hit or two, then WC34 for BB35. Chelsea and Ars both looking decent TC32 options. So for GW33 I currently have 6 players that definitely won't play (3x UTD and 3x WOL!), plus Ederson and Sane that very likely won't. So even though they play GW32 in the double, I will probably need to slowly take out United and Wolves assets (most likely Shaw and Bennett as least value tied up in them compared to Doherty, Jiminez, Pog and Rash).

I'm thinking of getting Leno in for Ederson this week. Then next week, probably get in a Chelsea player. Leaving me with something like:

Leno (Hamer backup)
Kola, Luiz(?), Bennett (will lose soon), Doherty, Robertson
Salah, Pog, Son, Sane, Schneiderlin (boooo)
Firmino, Rash, Jiminez

That's going into GW28. So 4 transfers to get in full DGW compliment for GW32. Haven't checked budget but something like:

Leno
Kola, Luiz, Doherty, Robertson (may lose), someone
Salah, Pog, someone instead of Son like Haz, Sane, someone instead of Schneiderlin
Doubler instead of Firmino, Jiminez

Then remove Sane and one or two of Pog/Rash/Jiminez, Doherty moving into GW33.

Phew! Sorry, massive stream of consciousness, but can someone tell me if that sort of makes sense?! To begin with, Ederson to Leno OK? Then focus on Chels, and probably a third Ars player sooner rather than later? I may even get Lacazette this weekend for Firmino (madness??).

Thanks!

Vsz

Mr Clarinet
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Mr Clarinet »

raoul wrote: 20 Feb 2019, 17:47 if youMy apologies.* I did check back but must've missed it, so posted.
go back 1 page on this thread, you will see our great clarinetting minds think alike :D
My apologies.* I did check back but must've missed it, so posted.

*I'm always having to apologise for posts, which is the main reason I have (mostly) stopped posting.

Stemania
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Stemania »

Opening post edited to add info suggested, I've also added my usual slightly-over-the-top traffic light system to place the teams in categories. :mrgreen:

FranckKessie
Grumpy Old Man

Post by FranckKessie »

Vsz wrote: 20 Feb 2019, 17:51 ...
Thanks!

Vsz
Great thoughts, and like you I am puzzling with idea of FH31,... . I haven't come to a conclusion, but unlike you my thoughts have been centered around BB32 with the idea of TC35. So you could look into this option instead. BB32 doesn't put the same pressure on WC and one could potentially play it in GW33 instead of 34? I haven't decided whether WC33 is an option or not. Maybe others have thought of this?

Some potential problems are:
1. Do you get the DGW players you want?
2. Salah. What do you plan to do with him? Out32, In33? Ideally I'd like to have two transfers going into GW33(WC33 removes this problem), but that is only possible if I sell him in GW30 or prior and his fixtures are pretty good in this period.
3. Is it certain CHE and ARS will have a DGW in 32? I wildcarded early last year and remember that the way I thought games would be re-arranged weren't how things ended.

Pirlo's Beard
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Pirlo's Beard »

Stemania wrote: 20 Feb 2019, 19:02 Opening post edited to add info suggested, I've also added my usual slightly-over-the-top traffic light system to place the teams in categories. :mrgreen:
The return of the Stemplate! :mrgreen:

raoul
Dumbledore

Post by raoul »

Mr Clarinet wrote: 20 Feb 2019, 18:46 My apologies.* I did check back but must've missed it, so posted.
I wasn't complaining! Just highlighting how excellent an idea it must have been (proven further by Stem's actions since your post).

Relax my friend :wink:

No Way Jose
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Fluked first season

Re: Blanks, DGWs, and those pesky chips (18/19) - Summary in OP

Post by No Way Jose »

Can someone give me a brief update of best strategy going forward for someone who hasn’t been paying much attention the last few months?

(I’ve blown my TC)

From what I gather I should be slowly accumulating GW31 players that have fantasy relevance before a GW32 FH and 33 WC where I load up on DGW players and use my BB for 35. Is this close? :lol:

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Fantasy PremierLeague.com (FPL)”