To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Assist in the Stoke vs Crystal Palace match

A Fantasy Football forum for news on fantasy football games run by the Premierleague (FPL).
Football Hero
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Football Hero »

The winner for Van Aanholt looked like a clear diversion into his path by Shawcross. Will this assist be taken away?

Pulpy
Grumpy Old Man

Re: Assist in the Stoke vs Crystal Palace match

Post by Pulpy »

Try reporting it.

Aldershot Rejects
Dumbledore
FS Record: 5th Metro (2010-11); 146 - Sky (2015-16); 218 - Sky (2014-15); 386 - Sky (2020-21); 636 - FPL (2017-18); last 16 Sky Cup (2018-19)

Post by Aldershot Rejects »

Please leave it as it is, Zaha is currently my only player to score more than 2 pts :(

FranckKessie
Grumpy Old Man

Post by FranckKessie »

Ridiculous, but I think the assist will stand. It was the intention of Zaha to pass PvA, so even though Shawcross touch alters the direction significantly this does not matter.

bigcliff2
Dumbledore
FS Record: Rubbish

Post by bigcliff2 »

I think that's absolutely crazy to give the assist there. Sure he was trying to pass it to him but it was a huge touch that completely changed the direction of the ball.

FranckKessie
Grumpy Old Man

Post by FranckKessie »

bigcliff2 wrote: 05 May 2018, 20:18 I think that's absolutely crazy to give the assist there. Sure he was trying to pass it to him but it was a huge touch that completely changed the direction of the ball.
    Agree, but none the less won't change the outcome. At least there was a chance for PvA to possibly score (though unlikely he would have) had Shawcross not touched the ball. That couldn't be said on the De Bruyne assist (Aguero scoring) earlier in the season. Their definition of "intended destination" needs a review imo.

bigcliff2
    Dumbledore
    FS Record: Rubbish

Post by bigcliff2 »

Yes, it says:

"If an opposing player touches the ball after the final pass before a goal is scored, significantly altering the intended destination of the ball, then no assist is awarded."

I guess it's arguable under that definition but it's certainly not common sense to give an assist in this case. For me, the intended destination was significantly altered there.

dellboy30
    Grumpy Old Man
    FS Record: FISO TFFE league champ

Post by dellboy30 »

I started zaha over shaqiri, I'll take it, but would agree its a flawed rule

hancockjr
    Dumbledore
    FS Record: FPL: Not as good as it was, but still very respectable.

Post by hancockjr »

No - the whole point is that he intended it to go to PVA and it did. Shawcross affected the direction of the ball but not the destination. The assist is completely valid under the rules and also “morally”, for want of a better word.

murf
    FISO Viscount
    FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

hancockjr wrote:No - the whole point is that he intended it to go to PVA and it did. Shawcross affected the direction of the ball but not the destination. The assist is completely valid under the rules and also “morally”, for want of a better word.
    Do they mean intended person or intended position by 'destination'? Bit odd that it is so poorly defined when OPTA are (perceived as?) massive stats geeks.

(Incidentally TFF have tweaked their KC ruke this season to refer to 'intended area' but often forget they've changed it. So Zaha shouldn't get a KC. But probably will...)

hancockjr
    Dumbledore

Post by hancockjr »

The whole reason for saying destination rather than direction is for this sort of thing - where the direction was changed but the destination (PVA in on goal) still happened.

If it’s not a Telegraph KC their rules are inferior.

Sutter Kane
    Dumbledore
    FS Record: Unknown.

Post by Sutter Kane »

If a pass is bad and doesn't reach its destination without a massive deflection then I'm not sure Zaha deserves an assist! But them's the rules...

hancockjr
    Dumbledore

Post by hancockjr »

Not given as telegraph KC.

Klaren
    Treebeard
    FS Record: 0

Post by Klaren »

The ball reached its destination even if not at the exact intended position, so in my opinion it should be an assist. If they didn't award an assist in situations like this, where the ball reaches the intended destination (PVA) but not the intended position, then there would be a significant amount of subjectivity involved. So I think the rule makes sense.

Isalla
    Grumpy Old Man

Post by Isalla »

“Significant deflection”. Wouldn’t every situation “shot on goal - keeper saves - another player gets a tap in” fall under this category as well? Yet, the assist is given to the initial shooter.

reds363
    Dumbledore
    FS Record: FPL 28th 06/07; TFFO 3rd 09/10; TFF 3rd 12/13

Post by reds363 »

Isalla wrote: 06 May 2018, 01:09 “Significant deflection”. Wouldn’t every situation “shot on goal - keeper saves - another player gets a tap in” fall under this category as well? Yet, the assist is given to the initial shooter.
    Because there's a specific rule for shots saved which rebound to a goal :roll:

Crosses or passes significantly deflected will not get an assist, so it's a pretty shocking decision that this one has stood, although thankfully in this DGW he must have like 0.01% ownership amongst relevant teams.

Football Hero
    Grumpy Old Man

Post by Football Hero »

I personally much preferred the old rule that was in place for a couple of seasons whereby as long as the significant deflection occurred inside the box, whether it be for a cross or shot, then the assist was given, but any significant deflection that occurred outside the box was not given.

It meant that more assists were awarded than there are currently, (which is a good thing as it's hard enough for players to score points as it is), and at the same time it was very black and white for what counted and what did not.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Fantasy PremierLeague.com (FPL)”