To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

City for the run in

A Fantasy Football forum for news on fantasy football games run by the Premierleague (FPL).
Finisher1
Dumbledore

Re: City for the run in

Post by Finisher1 »

No Way Jose wrote: 24 Apr 2018, 22:24 Ederson has said he wants a goal “and pep knows it” so he might take a penalty out of left field :lol
Source?

Never heard any goalkeeper saying something that stupid. But I don't doubt it :)

Mr Clarinet
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Mr Clarinet »

carver wrote: 25 Apr 2018, 09:48
No Way Jose wrote: 24 Apr 2018, 22:24 Ederson has said he wants a goal “and pep knows it” so he might take a penalty out of left field :lol
Now this is interesting

Surely he will get to take one

When City got the pen against Swansea, the South Stand were all singing "Give it to Ederson, give it to Ederson" - Ederson was just in front of us, and the pen was at the far end. Of course, Jesus then missed; but all this brought no response from either Ederson (or as far as I could see, from Pep on the touchline) until Bernardo put away the rebound and everyone was happy.

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

Sure I saw Pep interviewed recently and they asked about the possibility of Ederson playing outfield (as some have mooted he’s good enough). He laughed it off and totally dismissed it talking about respecting the league and opposition etc.

Obviously taking a penalty is a different kettle of fish (and not completely unheard of)... but still edges towards the ‘not taking it seriously’ kind of vibe.

V1CAR
FISOhead
FS Record: TFF 12th 2009/10

Post by V1CAR »

I will be binning either Son or Mahrez for Sterling FOR GW37 but can't decide on who would be best to hold onto. :?

Bixer
FISOhead

Post by Bixer »

I'd be astounded if Pep ever let Ederson take a penalty.

Imagine it's saved or rebounded? The other team will be able to run the ball down the pitch and possibly tap the ball into an open net. Pep with egg on his face all for a completely unnecessary and somewhat disrespectful decision.

I'd like to think he's smarter than that!

Stemania
FISO Jedi Knight
Location: On the Iron Throne of xG, the seat of The Crown Prince of the Stat Perverts. Or if not, in the STC!
FS Record: Best: TFF 321st. FPL 129th. FFS Career HoF Peak 2nd (Live 1st). Ability since lost.

Post by Stemania »

So Pep will have Chilaversion to the idea? 8-)

carver
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Top 50k last 4 seasons . Mr Consistent

Post by carver »

Bixer wrote: 25 Apr 2018, 11:31 I'd be astounded if Pep ever let Ederson take a penalty.

Imagine it's saved or rebounded? The other team will be able to run the ball down the pitch and possibly tap the ball into an open net. Pep with egg on his face all for a completely unnecessary and somewhat disrespectful decision.
1. He wouldn't miss . He strikes the ball so cleanly

2. If he did , it wouldnt be that easy to get up the pitch and score . You wouldn't leave an empty net , just stick a defender there to stop any silly 50 yard pot shots

Finisher1
Dumbledore

Post by Finisher1 »

Zimmerman wrote: 25 Apr 2018, 11:15 Sure I saw Pep interviewed recently and they asked about the possibility of Ederson playing outfield (as some have mooted he’s good enough). He laughed it off and totally dismissed it talking about respecting the league and opposition etc.

Obviously taking a penalty is a different kettle of fish (and not completely unheard of)... but still edges towards the ‘not taking it seriously’ kind of vibe.
So was the proposition to play Ederson as an outfield player for the entire match? Well that would be interesting, I hope they do it just for the sake of entertainment! :lol:

Finisher1
Dumbledore

Post by Finisher1 »

Stemania wrote: 25 Apr 2018, 11:48 So Pep will have Chilaversion to the idea? 8-)
He was a great goalkeeper :)

It's a shame Paraguay never got a penalty in World Cup, as I recall no goalkeeper has ever scored in World Cup.

White Tiger
Grumpy Old Man

Post by White Tiger »

carver wrote: 25 Apr 2018, 09:48
Now this is interesting

Surely he will get to take one
Last game of the season, he scores a penalty & wins me my mini-league :D

or...

Last game of the season, he misses a penalty & loses me my mini-league :(

Highlander12
FISOhead

Post by Highlander12 »

Jesus, Sterling & Sane for me. Got all 3 in last week, weirdly happy with having Sane as feels like a differential and I feel like all 3 will get good minutes till the end of the season.

MoSe
Dumbledore
FS Record: FISODAS CUP Winner Season 25
FISO H2H Winner: 15/16 Div2 - 16/17 Div1
FISO Mirror: 16/17 PL Winner

Post by MoSe »

We all know that in case a team during a game has no more GK on pitch and on bench, one outfield player dons the gloves and becomes GK.

Do the rules allow the opposite?
I mean, with the starting GK (Ederson) still on pitch, a team bring on the 2nd GK from bench (in place of an outfield player), puts him between the posts, and moves the so-far GK to outfield?

I mean, but that's mere theory, could Pep not give just a pen, or a cornerkick chance, to Ederson, but let him even play the last 5 or 10 minutes of a sealed game in outfield?

Finisher1
Dumbledore

Post by Finisher1 »

MoSe wrote: 25 Apr 2018, 12:42 I mean, but that's mere theory, could Pep not give just a pen, or a cornerkick chance, to Ederson, but let him even play the last 5 or 10 minutes of a sealed game in outfield?
Maybe Pep will sub on himself and take the gloves from Ederson, allowing Ederson to move OOP?

Imagine all the rage from oldschoolers! :lol:

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

MoSe wrote: 25 Apr 2018, 12:42 We all know that in case a team during a game has no more GK on pitch and on bench, one outfield player dons the gloves and becomes GK.

I mean, with the starting GK (Ederson) still on pitch, a team bring on the 2nd GK from bench (in place of an outfield player), puts him between the posts, and moves the so-far GK to outfield?

I mean, but that's mere theory, could Pep not give just a pen, or a cornerkick chance, to Ederson, but let him even play the last 5 or 10 minutes of a sealed game in outfield?
The great manager that was Stuart Pearce did this (at City coincidentally) when he played David James as an outfield player

MoSe
Dumbledore

Post by MoSe »

I had not heard of that, great anecdote. :)
But did he start James outfield in that game, or James started ad GK then moved outfield underway?

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

I can’t remember. I seem to think he came off the bench straight on as an outfield player.

I could be wrong, but you are only nominated as a keeper (and have to wear the alternative shirt and gloves to signify that). In theory clubs could play swap keeper like we do/used to, when playing 6-aside with friends. Just like there is no rule that Dejan Lovren has to play CB there is no rule to say Simon Mignolet has to play in goal (insert your own disparaging punchline).

Finisher1
Dumbledore

Post by Finisher1 »

Zimmerman wrote: 25 Apr 2018, 13:48 I can’t remember. I seem to think he came off the bench straight on as an outfield player.

I could be wrong, but you are only nominated as a keeper (and have to wear the alternative shirt and gloves to signify that). In theory clubs could play swap keeper like we do/used to, when playing 6-aside with friends. Just like there is no rule that Dejan Lovren has to play CB there is no rule to say Simon Mignolet has to play in goal (insert your own disparaging punchline).
Yeah but MoSe's question was more complicated than that. You don't really answer to his question.

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

Which question?

Did he start? I think I answered it.
Can a keeper go from being a keeper to being an outfield player? I believe I also answered that.

Finisher1
Dumbledore

Post by Finisher1 »

Zimmerman wrote: 25 Apr 2018, 14:29 Can a keeper go from being a keeper to being an outfield player? I believe I also answered that.
So you think goalkeeper can be swapped multiple times during the match without substitutions? I'm really not sure about that. Maybe you are right but I'd require a better source than "I just think".

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

Changing the goalkeeper
Any of the players may change places with the goalkeeper if:
the referee is informed before the change is made
the change is made during a stoppage in play

http://www.thefa.com/football-rules-gov ... he-players

Mr Clarinet
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Mr Clarinet »

MoSe wrote: 25 Apr 2018, 12:42 We all know that in case a team during a game has no more GK on pitch and on bench, one outfield player dons the gloves and becomes GK.

Something like this happened in a match I played in (long ago) when I was at college (but a proper UAU (if that means anything to anyone) game, with proper officials). The opposing team changed their GK at half time, one of their outfield players taking over the gloves while the first-half GK played outfield (no idea why - maybe an injury to one or other). The first time the new GK picked up the ball, the referee whistled up and awarded a penalty to us, for handball. There was much outrage on the part of our opponents but the referee explained they were perfectly entitled to change their GK, but they had to inform the referee of the change, which they had neglected to do. To calm things down (and since we were already well in the lead!), we agreed not to score the penalty, and the match continued...

Billy Bongo
FISO Knight

Post by Billy Bongo »

All they've said is Pep has allegedly said he'll allow Emerson to take a pen. Thats all we know

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

Mr Clarinet
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Mr Clarinet »

Billy Bongo wrote: 25 Apr 2018, 15:32 All they've said is Pep has allegedly said he'll allow Emerson to take a pen. Thats all we know

We do know a bit more than that - since when City were awarded a penalty while well in the lead against Swansea, Pep showed no interest in letting Ederson take it, and Ederson showed no interest at all in wanting to take it. So I suspect this is all mountains out of molehills stuff.

bigcliff2
Dumbledore
FS Record: Rubbish

Post by bigcliff2 »

David James was playing in goal until the last few minutes of that match. He subbed on the sub keeper and put James up front.

Billy Bongo
FISO Knight

Post by Billy Bongo »

Mr Clarinet wrote:
Billy Bongo wrote: 25 Apr 2018, 15:32 All they've said is Pep has allegedly said he'll allow Emerson to take a pen. Thats all we know

We do know a bit more than that - since when City were awarded a penalty while well in the lead against Swansea, Pep showed no interest in letting Ederson take it, and Ederson showed no interest at all in wanting to take it. So I suspect this is all mountains out of molehills stuff.
I agree, its just nonsense

MoSe
Dumbledore

Post by MoSe »

Can't we take on from actual statements, and speculate about alternative options?

A pen is aleatory to come, short of City earning one, Ederson would get no chance to score.

So I *imagined* an alternative scenario, where Pep would even allow Ederson to come seeking that goal upfront in last minutes of a match, say with a header on set pieces.
And took start from there to make sure the chance existed, by inquiring about the rules.
I agree I know of no rule preventing it, sought confirmation

FingerPass
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Pick Quick Champion 13/14 & 15/16, 5AS Europa League Champion (1. FC Köln) 17/18, 5AS H2H Champion (1. FC Köln) 18/19

Post by FingerPass »

Here's a video of the David James experiment...

And a couple of accompanying match reports (that confirm James started the match as goalkeeper):

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 525109.stm

https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... hestercity

I enjoyed this quote: :lol:
I sat at home on Saturday night and thought to myself: 'What shall I do if we're drawing the game late on and need to hit it long?'" explained Pearce. "I've got a good striker in Jon Macken, who is really disappointed, but I wanted to unsettle them and in some ways it did. It unsettled everyone . . . them and us.

Finisher1
Dumbledore

Post by Finisher1 »

FingerPass wrote: 25 Apr 2018, 16:08 Here's a video of the David James experiment...
Well that was such a sketchy performance. He really looked like a pub standard player up front.

Would it be similar if Ederson played up front?

From4corners
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by From4corners »

FingerPass wrote: 25 Apr 2018, 16:08 Here's a video of the David James experiment...

Haha
So did James take the penalty and miss it? :lol: Noticed no difference in the scoreline .

Okay, just read it was Fowler..

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Fantasy PremierLeague.com (FPL)”