To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Dyche&Ward are this season's Pulis&Matty

A Fantasy Football forum for news on fantasy football games run by the Premierleague (FPL).
Finisher1
Dumbledore

Dyche&Ward are this season's Pulis&Matty

Post by Finisher1 »

Do you guys remember last season when Pulis kept saying "Matty is still a doubt" in every press conference? I think Dyche and "Stevie" are doing it this season.

Tweets from Dec 13 and Dec 14 (from Ben Dinnery) before GW18:

"Stephen Ward will be assessed ahead of the trip to Brighton after taking a whack on the knee last night. If the left-back fails to recover in time, then Charlie Taylor looks poised for his first PL start."

"A final decision on Stephen Ward [knee] will be made on Friday."

Well now it's Jan 18, we are preparing for GW24 and there are no signs about when "Stevie" is going to play professional level football next time.

Tall Paul
Dumbledore

Re: Dyche&Ward are this season's Pulis&Matty

Post by Tall Paul »

Ward was ruled out for 4 to 6 weeks after that injury.

And I've never heard him referred to as "Stevie".

Finisher1
Dumbledore

Post by Finisher1 »

Tall Paul wrote: 18 Jan 2018, 14:53 Ward was ruled out for 4 to 6 weeks after that injury.
Maybe I have missed that, but he was not red flagged in FPL until last week. Do you have any source for this 4 to 6 weeks? I just find it annoying and perhaps a bit bizarre he was initially just "a doubt" right after his "whack" and now we have no idea when he will play professional level football next time.

Like I said, he was not red flagged in FPL until last week, so I'm actually very interested to know what is this source that said he is ruled out for 4 to 6 weeks?

Tall Paul wrote: 18 Jan 2018, 14:53And I've never heard him referred to as "Stevie".
Probably because it was my own reference to how Pulis talked about "Matty" every time he announced he is once again out.

Tall Paul
Dumbledore

Post by Tall Paul »

Finisher1 wrote: 18 Jan 2018, 15:05Maybe I have missed that. Do you have any source for this 4-6 weeks? I just find it annoying and perhaps a bit bizarre he was initially just "a doubt" right after his "whack" and now we have no idea when he will play professional level football next time.
It's not bizarre at all, he was initially a doubt because the injury hadn't been assessed. In every press conference since then, Dyche has said that he's not fit yet. Managers have no obligation to let you know how long their players are going to be injured.

The source was local radio.
Probably because it was my own reference to how Pulis talked about "Matty" every time he announced he is once again out.
That would be Phillips, who has always been referred to as Matty?

If you'd talked about Chris Wood, you might have had a point, he's been described as "touch and go" since the Huddersfield game on 30th December.

Finisher1
Dumbledore

Post by Finisher1 »

Tall Paul wrote: 18 Jan 2018, 15:22Managers have no obligation to let you know how long their players are going to be injured.
Thanks for this wisdom Mr. Pedantic :roll: :lol:

Tall Paul wrote: 18 Jan 2018, 15:22 The source was local radio.
So some local guy said something in some local radio station? I'm suspicious about his credibility, because there has not been red flag in FPL until last week and there has not been any twitter talk or Reddit talk about him being ruled out for 4 to 6 weeks. Usually every single even remotely credible rumour ends up on twitter and Reddit.

Anyway, even if he is credible, he must be an extremely niche source, because no one in twitter or Reddit has cited what he said.

Tall Paul wrote: 18 Jan 2018, 15:22That would be Phillips, who has always been referred to as Matty?
Yes, so I tried to be smart/funny and call him "Stevie" because he reminds me of "Matty" from last season. Have I done something wrong here?

Tall Paul
Dumbledore

Post by Tall Paul »

Finisher1 wrote: 18 Jan 2018, 15:36So some local guy said something in some local radio station? I'm suspicious about his credibility, because there has not been red flag in FPL until last week and there has not been any twitter talk or Reddit talk about him being ruled out for 4 to 6 weeks. Usually every single even remotely credible rumour ends up on twitter and Reddit.

Anyway, even if he is credible, he must be an extremely niche source, because no one in twitter or Reddit has cited what he said.
Yes, so I tried to be smart/funny and call him "Stevie" because he reminds me of "Matty" from last season. Have I done something wrong here?
Sorry, I obviously missed the joke.

Ruth_NZ
Grumpy Old Gorilla

Post by Ruth_NZ »

Finisher1 wrote:So some local guy said something in some local radio station?

Without wanting to get between the two of you, local press and radio often know and report things about their teams that are never picked up nationally. Stoke Sentinel for Stoke, Bournemouth Echo for Bournemouth, Evening Chronicle for Newcastle... It's just that there is much less national interest in those teams.

I remember last season that Bony was out for some weeks with an injury that was covered in the Stoke Sentinel but never even appeared as a flag on FPL let alone a red one. He was low owned and played for a 'small' team so they weren't bothered. I actually asked Mark about it (he advises FPL on flags) and he told me that unless an injury appears in multiple reports or is officially confirmed by the club they won't flag it. And by reports he meant national media, they don't go trawling through local media.

If you want to know you often have to go local.

Finisher1
Dumbledore

Post by Finisher1 »

Ruth_NZ wrote: 18 Jan 2018, 15:56

Without wanting to get between the two of you, local press and radio often know and report things about their teams that are never picked up nationally. Stoke Sentinel for Stoke, Bournemouth Echo for Bournemouth, Evening Chronicle for Newcastle... It's just that there is much less national interest in those teams.

I remember last season that Bony was out for some weeks with an injury that was covered in the Stoke Sentinel but never even appeared as a flag on FPL let alone a red one. He was low owned and played for a 'small' team so they weren't bothered. I actually asked Mark about it (he advises FPL on flags) and he told me that unless an injury appears in multiple reports or is officially confirmed by the club they won't flag it. And by reports he meant national media, they don't go trawling through local media.

Well I'm not expecting local news to break into Sun and Daily Mail.

But like I said, usually the local news are cited in twitter and reddit, if only the source is at least remotely credible. If something FPL-relevant is said in Stoke Sentinel or Bournemouth Echo, you can be damn sure that it will be in Dinnery's twitter feed in no time. But of course if the source is very very niche, it might be that no one hears it.

However, Ward is a very FPL-relevant player, so I'm quite surprised that no one in twitter or reddit have not reported that he was ruled out for 4 to 6 weeks in local radio. Like I said, I think the source is either not credible or extremely niche.

Ruth_NZ
Grumpy Old Gorilla

Post by Ruth_NZ »

Ah, OK. I don't use twitter so I have no idea about that part. :lol:

Finisher1
Dumbledore

Post by Finisher1 »

Ruth_NZ wrote: 18 Jan 2018, 16:25 Ah, OK. I don't use twitter so I have no idea about that part. :lol:
Fair enough.

If you ever want to try I can recommend Dinnery. He's not ITK but he basically tweets anything that is said. I think it would be possible to do reasonably well-informed FPL decisions by solely reading Dinnery, but of course not 100% everything is there and more is always better :)

Tall Paul
Dumbledore

Post by Tall Paul »

Here's some more local news that Dinnery won't have reported.

Heaton is expected to be fit enough to return to action in three weeks time. Source: Tom Heaton

First Sub Podcast
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Twitter @TheFirstSub_FPL

Post by First Sub Podcast »

Rubbishing a local source as it isn’t on twitter or reddit is 2018 Fiso at its best :lol:

To back Ruth and Paul up, local papers/radio stations are much more reliable than twitter/reddit.

Finisher1
Dumbledore

Post by Finisher1 »

The Toon Man wrote: 19 Jan 2018, 08:05 Rubbishing a local source as it isn’t on twitter or reddit is 2018 Fiso at its best :lol:

To back Ruth and Paul up, local papers/radio stations are much more reliable than twitter/reddit.
:roll:

Congratulations on entirely missing my point. I assume you are a conservative man who isn't really familiar with twitter and reddit?

I didn't comment on how reliable twitter and reddit are - that's irrelevant really, and frankly not a reasonable question in the first place anyway. I just said that twitter and reddit tend to forward on all FPL-relevant nuggets regardless of how reliable those nuggets are. So, if some nugget is not on twitter or reddit, it's either because A) source is not credible at all or B) source is extremely niche. In this Ward case, it seems to be case B.

The whole sentence "local papers/radio stations are much more reliable than twitter/reddit" is clearly an irrational sentence. Twitter and reddit are not persons or media houses, so you can't judge their credibility altogether. They are not producing their own stuff, they are just platforms where people can re-post stuff from different sources - basically all FPL-relevant nuggets that are published in local newspapers will be re-posted on twitter and reddit in no time, so twitter/reddit = local newspapers!!!!!!!!. It's just a question about who is saying what and what is his source.

First Sub Podcast
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Twitter @TheFirstSub_FPL

Post by First Sub Podcast »

I haven’t got the time or patience to go into detail but the fact twitter and reddit are open platforms means you can never fully trust the info that gets submitted there.

Yes I use Twitter, daily.

Yes I follow Ben Dinnery who is very good at simply relaying info from press conferences and journalists.

I get your point but in my experiences local info has been much more reliable. Tall Paul with Burnley, The Username with Everton. They have local info that doesn’t make twitter (I haven’t seen bits they’ve said there anyway) which is always correct.

Finisher1
Dumbledore

Post by Finisher1 »

The Toon Man wrote: 19 Jan 2018, 09:21 I haven’t got the time or patience to go into detail but the fact twitter and reddit are open platforms means you can never fully trust the info that gets submitted there.
I'm sorry, but this is simply an irrational sentence once again.

To me it just seems stupid to say "you can never fully trust the info in twitter". It's stupid to say that, because twitter is not a homogenous platform. There are different people in twitter, some of them are completely reliable and some of there are not reliable at all. You just have to assess A) who is talking and B) what are his sources, and then make your own conclusion about his reliability.

The Toon Man wrote: 19 Jan 2018, 09:21 I get your point but in my experiences local info has been much more reliable.
Much more reliable compared to what? What are you comparing it to? Are you comparing it to the whole twitter, which consists of millions of different accounts, some of which are completely reliable and some of which are not reliable at all?

The fair comparison would be to compare a specific local info source to a specific twitter account. Dealing with twitter as a homogenous group doesn't make sense at all.

Personally I very much enjoy reading all kind of nuggets - no matter how reliable they are - as long as the sources are mentioned, so that I can make my own personal assessment about a reliability of a specific nugget.
Last edited by Finisher1 on 19 Jan 2018, 10:17, edited 7 times in total.

Smurphy Paw
FISO Knight
FS Record: Mediocre, apparently
13/14: FPL 1792; FIFA 14 Top 700.
17/18: FPL 696th; loads of mini-League wins and side game promotions
18/19 1FC Köln 5AS Champions
#1 Spring Super League regular season 19/20 & 20/21

Post by Smurphy Paw »

Erm, I wouldn’t be holding up the Daily Mail as an arbiter of truth when, famously, Wikipedia will no longer accept it as a reliable source without extra verification.

Thanks TP, helpful Heaton (Pope) update.

Finisher1
Dumbledore

Post by Finisher1 »

Smurphy's Paw wrote: 19 Jan 2018, 10:11 Erm, I wouldn’t be holding up the Daily Mail as an arbiter of truth when, famously, Wikipedia will no longer accept it as a reliable source without extra verification.
I just mentioned it as an example of national media, I didn't really comment on how reliable they are.

Smurphy Paw
FISO Knight

Post by Smurphy Paw »

Finisher1 wrote: 19 Jan 2018, 10:38
Smurphy's Paw wrote: 19 Jan 2018, 10:11 Erm, I wouldn’t be holding up the Daily Mail as an arbiter of truth when, famously, Wikipedia will no longer accept it as a reliable source without extra verification.
I just mentioned it as an example of national media, I didn't really comment on how reliable they are.
In a discussion about the veracity of various sources

Finisher1
Dumbledore

Post by Finisher1 »

Smurphy's Paw wrote: 19 Jan 2018, 10:50
Finisher1 wrote: 19 Jan 2018, 10:38
In a discussion about the veracity of various sources
I said I don't expect local news to break into national media like Daily Mail. It's really bizarre if someone can interpret this as if I'm suggesting Daily Mail is a reliable source. As far as I know, reliable source and national media are not synonyms to each other.

eastcentral1
Dumbledore

Post by eastcentral1 »

The Toon Man wrote:Rubbishing a local source as it isn’t on twitter or reddit is 2018 Fiso at its best Image
This is not what Finisher1 was doing though. I think he's made some fair points in this thread but clearly nobody wants to engage constructively.

Carlos Kickaball
Dumbledore

Post by Carlos Kickaball »

Ruth_NZ wrote: 18 Jan 2018, 15:56

I have often found on this forum that the nearer a source is, the more credible and useful they are.

Is it cold in Finland this time of year? :wink:

Billy Bongo
FISO Knight

Post by Billy Bongo »

So, after all that, Stevie Wardy is struggling to shake off his injury and Seany a bit busy to constantly update fantasy managers

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Smurphy Paw
FISO Knight

Post by Smurphy Paw »

Billy Bongo wrote: 22 Jan 2018, 00:05 So, after all that, Stevie Wardy is struggling to shake off his injury and Seany a bit busy to constantly update fantasy managers

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
Maybe you could contact The Sun on his behalf BB? :wink:

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Fantasy PremierLeague.com (FPL)”