To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Ross Barkley

A Fantasy Football forum for news on fantasy football games run by the Premierleague (FPL).
jonhoggy
FISOhead
FS Record: 7528

Ross Barkley

Post by jonhoggy »

Where does Barkley fit in to Chelsea? Who in the current XI do you think will be at risk ?

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Re: Ross Barkley

Post by murf »

jonhoggy wrote: 06 Jan 2018, 14:48 Where does Barkley fit in to Chelsea? Who in the current XI do you think will be at risk ?
The next Scott Parker. Remember him?

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

I saw someone ask a question about Barkley's role at Chelsea yesterday evening.
I inwardly mocked someone foolish enough to believe such press speculation.

Imagine my surprise 20 minutes later getting in the car to hear on the radio, that it had actually happened.
It wasn't speculation, it was genuine real life!!!!

Surely he doesn't get near the first team apart from domestic cup competitions?

If Willian can't make the side, can Barkley?

Is he an alternative to Fabregas? Cant see it.
Is he an alternative to Bakayoko? Perhaps, id see myself as a viable alternative. But seemingly, Conte likes him.
Kante? No chance. In terms of engine room and legs thats drinkwaters role isn't it (backup to Kante).

So for me, i just don't see where Ross fits in.
Yes (if fit) a useful 'squad' player; decent for cup games, decent cover for rotation purposes and maybe even a credible/solid sub option.

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

Not to mention he hasn't played since the end of last season (7 months out of action takes a while to blow away the cobwebs and get back up to speed).

Look at someone like Lallana or Lamela; going to take a while to find their groove.

Vid
Head Moderator
FS Record: winning is a distant memory

Post by Vid »

jonhoggy wrote: 06 Jan 2018, 14:48 Where does Barkley fit in to Chelsea? Who in the current XI do you think will be at risk ?
Fab/ Bakayoko most likely to give way for an ACM

Sutter Kane
Dumbledore
FS Record: Unknown.

Post by Sutter Kane »

Chelsea have bought him because he's English, no? (home-grown rules and that crap) £15mn is nothing to Chelsea and they've got themselves a nice squad player to boot. It's also conceivable that Conte might be able to turn him into something he's failed at so far, especially when surrounded by world class players. Kind of like Sterling has. But I doubt it.

Horrid for Everton as Barkley turned down the same move in the summer if I'm not mistaken. A lot more money for Everton back then...

Not an option FPL wise, for now.

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

Chelsea should really loan him to somebody (lower Prem?) to get fitness. Would do him good too, might even get to the World Cup!

I can't see him featuring (positively) for Chelsea this season so why pay £15m now (+wages) when you could get him for free in the summer? Illogical.

Stemania
FISO Jedi Knight
Location: On the Iron Throne of xG, the seat of The Crown Prince of the Stat Perverts. Or if not, in the STC!
FS Record: Best: TFF 321st. FPL 129th. FFS Career HoF Peak 2nd (Live 1st). Ability since lost.

Post by Stemania »

Poor move for him imo; I don't see where he plays unless he adapts to a deeper role. Perhaps anyone is better than Bakayoko atm though...

Pirlo's Beard
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Pirlo's Beard »

Well I certainly hope he doesn't play much. If he does, Hazard will never get the ball. :roll:

murf wrote: 06 Jan 2018, 15:09 Chelsea should really loan him to somebody (lower Prem?) to get fitness.

Like, say... Everton? :lol:

TheBigLewandowski
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: OR 1,259 2016/17

Post by TheBigLewandowski »

I was really surprised when I heard he had signed for Chelsea. Quite shocked tbh.

Vid
Head Moderator
FS Record: winning is a distant memory

Post by Vid »

Given the length of contract then clearly the thoughts are that he's going to reach the potential he showed prior to his injury, maybe he will, maybe he won't, in the grand scheme of things £15m is nothing these days as a gamble.

He's only got until the end of the season to step up as Loftus-Cheek will return from the Palace loan during the summer to fight for a position that currently we don't have a player to fill beyond Fabregas.

He offers something different to the current squad, more of a blunt instrument rather than guile in the final third, he could well be a great successor to Frank (best £11m ever spent) or merely a poor replica of a great player, more than happy to see him get a shot to see if he can make the adjustment. It's not like we've got any chance of winning the EPL this season and any cup win is always going to be a bonus.

Beerfuelledman
FISO Knight
FS Record: FISO 17/18 FPL Cash Draft League Winner

Post by Beerfuelledman »

Stemania wrote: 06 Jan 2018, 15:32 Poor move for him imo; I don't see where he plays unless he adapts to a deeper role. Perhaps anyone is better than Bakayoko atm though...
He wanted more money than Lloris & Kane at Spurs. A desire for a wage that high doesn't leave too many options. Kante is No1 in the CM role at Chelsea. That leaves a fight for No 2. He hs it in him to rival Fabregas for it - but not yet.

Gambit
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Gambit »

good move for Chelsea for reasons outlined by others - relatively cheap price, good squad player, even if it doesn't work out they could sell him for a similar price.

For Barkley I think it's a very poor move, he hasn't played for 7 months? needs to start establishing himself now, needs games week in week out. Don't know if he was in Sam's plans but I think he needed to go somewhere where he would be the main man and have the midfield built around him. I'm guessing all teams in the PL could afford 15m so wages the issue?

Blue Fire
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Blue Fire »

He'll start ahead of Bakayoko depending on the game. Chelsea need goals from midfield to take the pressure off Hazard and Morata

Hotstepper
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Reasonable

Post by Hotstepper »

Big clubs need big squads. Chelsea have had a couple of variations on their starting 11, whether it's a 3 in midfield with Bakayoko, Kante & Fabregas, or a 3 in attack with Hazard, Morata & Pedro/Willian. When he's fit, he'll find a slot in among either this season. Next season though I can see him replacing Fabregas in the 3 mids option. Physically, Barkley alongside Kante and Bakayoko would provide a very decent presence.

Billy Bongo
FISO Knight

Post by Billy Bongo »

Young lad want a to live in London don't blame him

Wont play much football though

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Spinynorman
FISO Jedi Fish
FS Record: Under Ordinary

Post by Spinynorman »

I think they've got a bargain.

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

Send him out on loan next year, sell him to West Ham or Leicester for £30m the year after.

The Username
Grumpy Old Man

Post by The Username »

A player of huge potential to be quality, i would have significant doubts on whether he will fulfill it, his development has stalled somewhat down to inconsistent/indulgent coaching and the lads own mentality in my opinion.

Have my doubts and think this is the worst move he could make, but i really hope he fulfills his undoubted talent.

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

Billy Bongo wrote: 09 Jan 2018, 10:28 Young lad wants to live in London
The Username wrote: his development has stalled somewhat down to .........the lads own mentality in my opinion.

Have my doubts and think this is the worst move he could make
murf wrote:The next Scott Parker.
Hmmm.......

gallus
Grumpy Old Man

Post by gallus »

jonhoggy wrote: 06 Jan 2018, 14:48 Where does Barkley fit in to Chelsea?
The bench would be my guess. Who's he going to replace in the starting 11? If Fabregas is not a regular starter then Barkley has no chance.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Fantasy PremierLeague.com (FPL)”