To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Callum Wilson

A Fantasy Football forum for news on fantasy football games run by the Premierleague (FPL).
Mav3rick
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FPL: 1082, 1201, 1800, 10203

The stats are dark and full of errors.

Callum Wilson

Post by Mav3rick »

Anybody have any views on Wilson at Bournemouth? Presumably pen taker at least while Stanislas is injured, coming back into the Bournemouth side ahead of a good run of games.

He's been a popular asset in the past and is priced a reasonable 5.9 if he starts matches.

All thoughts welcome, but I'm probably hoping for redcat, flare and other Bournemouth fans to offer up some inside knowledge I guess, especially with Defoe and Afobe in the mix too.

A risk too far? Or one for consideration for the wildcarders?

dino1980
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: FPL Best, 1,000th 2014-15.

Re: Callum Wilson

Post by dino1980 »

I think he's a risk too far in FPL, but a decent punt in Draft games.

I'm on WC and Bournemouth's attack this season just hasn't been good enough for me to take a punt on someone who'll need removing in five weeks, especially when Tammy is available at the same price and Niasse - less of punt perhaps? - can be picked up for 1m less.

Pirlo's Beard
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Pirlo's Beard »

I like Wilson. A good player who's had very bad luck with injuries. I think he has a good opportunity now to regain his place in that Bournemouth team, and the fixtures couldn't be kinder for those willing to take a (very reasonably-priced) punt.

My sense is that King and Wilson is Howe's preferred strike partnership but I'm willing to admit that's only a hunch. We've seen Defoe being benched in recent weeks (started 2 of the last 4, was replaced at half-time in one and missed the other through injury), so there are signs there that he's falling out of favour, and his age (35) must count against him at this stage. My view is that Wilson will start most games when fit and Defoe will be used more often as an impact sub, but that's only a guess and I could well be wrong. I think Afobe is a useful player but probably a bit further down the pecking order. Like you Mav, I'd be very interested to get some input from the likes of redcat1 and flare2.

The thing that worries me most about Wilson is the fact that he's just returning from another injury, the latest in a long line, and how those injuries have reoccured over the past couple of seasons and prevented him from getting a real run in the team. I think his minutes will be managed carefully by Howe. Indeed, Howe said as much himself after they played Chelsea a few weeks ago:
"To be at your peak level after two very serious injuries is an unknown, really. To say when that will be is impossible."

"We are very much looking at Callum every day to see how he progresses."

"I felt it was too big a risk to start him against Chelsea with two games in four days after playing 90 minutes (against Middlesbrough)."

"I thought it would be wise to look after him and make sure he's fit, hopefully, for a long time to come."

Frequent rotation would be a worry, especially with so many games over the Christmas period. Still, for £5.9m he doesn't have to do a lot to justify his price, and I think he's more capable of justifying his price than the similarly-priced Tammy Abraham, simply because he plays for a better attacking team. He looked sharp in the highlights I saw of the Newcastle game, although he did miss a very good chance to score.

Regarding penalties, I think Wilson might be ahead of Stanislas in the pecking order. I was looking at the games Wilson played last season: in October, Stanislas took and scored a penalty against Hull with Wilson on the pitch, but then in November, Wilson took and scored a penalty against Arsenal with Stanislas on the pitch, and in December Wilson took and scored a penalty against Liverpool with Stanislas on the pitch. So the evidence is not conclusive but it looks like Wilson might be first-choice.

I'm taking the gamble myself, for what it's worth. I'm bringing him in for Abraham this week.

Billy Bongo
FISO Knight

Post by Billy Bongo »

Problem I have is Murray, at the moment he's cheaper in form and starting every game

jimwinn
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: nah

Post by jimwinn »

Wilson is OK as your 3rd striker but Bournemouth have been poor this year - could improve with upcoming fixtures though

Billy Bongo
FISO Knight

Post by Billy Bongo »

Investing a few more quid on S3 a that price point seems low risk, Murray Abraham Wilson decent enough cover

Kuchi
FISOhead
FS Record: Best: 16/17- 481

Post by Kuchi »

Another one of those well he could be amazing value IF we know he will start/take pens etc. Will King be playing behind Wilson and so on? We haven't really had enough pitch time for them to get a good feel? Howe I vaguely remember talking up King in recent weeks?

Edgeways
Red & Blue Braces

Post by Edgeways »

Agree that he's not for FPL at the moment, but given Bournemouth's fixtures I'm going to take a punt in my draft team this week. Have had a revolving door 3rd striker strategy, with Wood and Diouf both doing ok at different times for me. But took a gamble on Sturridge last week, that obviously didn't pay off. Will be keeping a close eye on Ibra, and as soon as he looks like he's ready, he'll probably be in for Wilson anyway.

First Sub Podcast
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Twitter @TheFirstSub_FPL

Post by First Sub Podcast »

As an Abraham owner, Wilson is one for the A3 watchlist.

Billy Bongo
FISO Knight

Post by Billy Bongo »

Not much love for Murray around these parts

samyadav
Red & Blue Braces
FS Record: FISODAS Champions Cup Season 29 Winner

Post by samyadav »

Billy Bongo wrote: 15 Nov 2017, 21:00 Not much love for Murray around these parts
I have him on my current WC and i am quite sure that I'll keep him. For the M4 slot i could only have one of Richarlison, Gross and Choupo. I went for Richarlison and got Murray to cover Gross. For me Richarlison+Murray is much better than Gross+Abraham or any other more expensive striker. And definitely I am not going for a Brighton triple up since i have Duffy too. Although I have kept cash in bank to upgrade Murray when needed

Owsler
Dumbledore

Post by Owsler »

:D :D

fred1266
Dumbledore
FS Record: EFCL Fantasy League & Jurassic League Winner 11/12, EFCL Fantasy League Winner 13/14. EFCL, FISO 5AS The Kangals, Jurassic League, 3DM PRINTERS TT & Trini Gunners Winner 14/15

Post by fred1266 »

thanks to this thread bout him on on Draft

Mav3rick
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FPL: 1082, 1201, 1800, 10203

The stats are dark and full of errors.

Post by Mav3rick »

Pirlo's Beard wrote: 14 Nov 2017, 22:13 I'm taking the gamble myself, for what it's worth. I'm bringing him in for Abraham this week.
Well played, sir.

Pirlo's Beard
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Pirlo's Beard »

Mav3rick wrote: 18 Nov 2017, 17:10
Pirlo's Beard wrote: 14 Nov 2017, 22:13 I'm taking the gamble myself, for what it's worth. I'm bringing him in for Abraham this week.
Well played, sir.

Thank you, sir. :D

Tacalabala
FISO Knight

Post by Tacalabala »

What do I think? I'm quite bloody keen now is what I think 😉

Stemania
FISO Jedi Knight
Location: On the Iron Throne of xG, the seat of The Crown Prince of the Stat Perverts. Or if not, in the STC!
FS Record: Best: TFF 321st. FPL 129th. FFS Career HoF Peak 2nd (Live 1st). Ability since lost.

Post by Stemania »

I suspect I'll be doing the beard this gameweek if I can find the 0.1m extra from Tammy somewhere down the back of the sofa.

baganboy
Comfortably Dumb(ledore)
FS Record: 2011/12 - 212. 2019/20 - 222.
Altogether 6 top 10Ks. 8 top 20Ks. 9 top 50Ks.

Post by baganboy »

Me too, perhaps. Or Niasse. But I am rather convinced by Wilson, and not as much by Niasse.

Bad bad thoughts of 4-5-1 are circling the brain though, which need to be resisted.

flare2
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Consistently satisfactory

Post by flare2 »

Sorry - I feel bad for not being online the last few days as I would have been singing Wilson’s praise. He looked brilliant last week against Newcastle but even in my wildest dreams I didn’t think he’d bag a hat trick.

Today has been an amazing day in both the real and Fantasy football variants. Buzzing

baganboy
Comfortably Dumb(ledore)

Post by baganboy »

is he definitely first choice now, flare2?

flare2
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Consistently satisfactory

Post by flare2 »

Yep, he will lead the line for as long as he is fit. King playing just behind him. The partnership between Wilson and king looks very very exciting. Defoe will be used an impact sub especially when chasing the game.

Wilson is a phenomenally good striker and he looks fitter and quicker than before his knee injuries.

Pirlo's Beard
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Pirlo's Beard »

flare2 wrote: 18 Nov 2017, 18:58 Yep, he will lead the line for as long as he is fit. King playing just behind him. The partnership between Wilson and king looks very very exciting. Defoe will be used an impact sub especially when chasing the game.

Wilson is a phenomenally good striker and he looks fitter and quicker than before his knee injuries.

Music to my ears. :mrgreen:

baganboy
Comfortably Dumb(ledore)

Post by baganboy »

Thanks a lot flare2. Will get him in.
Will perhaps have to do the Abraham -> Wilson sub today itself, then, to avoid the price rise.

baganboy
Comfortably Dumb(ledore)

Post by baganboy »

And well done, Pirlo's Beard.

Pirlo's Beard
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Pirlo's Beard »

baganboy wrote: 18 Nov 2017, 19:28 And well done, Pirlo's Beard.

Thanks muchly!

baganboy wrote: 18 Nov 2017, 19:27 Thanks a lot flare2. Will get him in.
Will perhaps have to do the Abraham -> Wilson sub today itself, then, to avoid the price rise.

Price rise? Wilson is only at +21% currently on FPLS.

baganboy
Comfortably Dumb(ledore)

Post by baganboy »

Yeah, but at FFF it seems he is rising at 7.6% per hour, and Abraham is falilng sharply too. Are predicted to have the rise / drop tomorrow.
Perhaps waiting a day makes sense...

Pirlo's Beard
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Pirlo's Beard »

baganboy wrote: 18 Nov 2017, 19:39 Yeah, but at FFF it seems he is rising at 7.6% per hour, and Abraham is falilng sharply too. Are predicted to have the rise / drop tomorrow.
Perhaps waiting a day makes sense...

Hmmm, with Abraham only at -4.1% currently, and Wilson only at +20.9% currently, I can't see either of them reaching their +/- targets before the 1:15am (UK time) price change deadline. Worth keeping an eye on certainly, but I think you'll be okay to wait until tomorrow at least.

From4corners
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by From4corners »

Got him in my draft team for the previous gameweek, should've done the same for my classic one it seems (went for Benteke instead).

Smurphy Paw
FISO Knight
FS Record: Mediocre, apparently
13/14: FPL 1792; FIFA 14 Top 700.
17/18: FPL 696th; loads of mini-League wins and side game promotions
18/19 1FC Köln 5AS Champions
#1 Spring Super League regular season 19/20 & 20/21

Post by Smurphy Paw »

Following

Hmm...

No Way Jose