To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Which Man United defender to pick for Jones?

A Fantasy Football forum for news on fantasy football games run by the Premierleague (FPL).
owenclass
Grumpy Old Man

Which Man United defender to pick for Jones?

Post by owenclass »

Well im thinking of Bailly but Smalling could be a good shout

No Way Jose
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Fluked first season

Re: Which Man Uniied defender to pick for Jones

Post by No Way Jose »

For what it's worth if rojo can get back to pre injury form I think he and bailly would be our first choice pairing. For the next month though he's a risk and stalking will be a decent bet

Is there new news on jones though? From what I've read it sounded like it wasn't as bad as thought and he's right to play, similar for when he played a week after going off early against Huddersfield

Gambit
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Gambit »

DDG for me.

He's got more points than any United defender (more than any defender in the game bar Azpi), is cheaper than Valencia and Bailly, is far less injury prone that Jones and only 0.2 more in price, and is probably the most nailed player in the United team.

8 clean sheets in 11 games, and only GW15 & 16 look tough until the end of January. With the options that JM has in defence I can't see past DDG as the most secure player to pick - and as the United defenders don't have much attacking threat he will most likely continue to outscore them all too.

Owsler
Dumbledore

Post by Owsler »

Is Jones knackered then?

Latic
FISO Knight
FS Record: Minor past glories. Back for 2021!

Post by Latic »

Calf injury. Not ruled out of Saturdays game however.

Turd Ferguson
FISOhead

Post by Turd Ferguson »

I'd wait to see if Jose rules him out. He's been an injury doubt a couple of times and still played.

math!
Dumbledore
FS Record: Yes

Post by math! »

Jones is basically the T-1000 this season.

Sammy the Crab
Dumbledore

Post by Sammy the Crab »

Jones won't be playing this weekend:
‘You always have some clubs where their players, they have always have something,’ Mourinho told the Daily Mirror.

‘It could be a fingernail, he has a little flu, he has a problem with the little toe, and they withdraw, and they stay with their clubs and they have their holidays and they have their rest.

‘Then, there are always the clubs where the mangers are naive, too pure and they say you have to go and they go and sometimes they pay the price and they pay the price.

‘I want to see this next weekend if the players that were not going to the national team, I want to see if they are going to play. Drinkwater? Delph? The only one that is not playing is Phil Jones.’

No Way Jose
Grumpy Old Man

Post by No Way Jose »

😩

Turd Ferguson
FISOhead

Post by Turd Ferguson »

Sammy the Crab wrote: 16 Nov 2017, 00:14 Jones won't be playing this weekend:
‘You always have some clubs where their players, they have always have something,’ Mourinho told the Daily Mirror.

‘It could be a fingernail, he has a little flu, he has a problem with the little toe, and they withdraw, and they stay with their clubs and they have their holidays and they have their rest.

‘Then, there are always the clubs where the mangers are naive, too pure and they say you have to go and they go and sometimes they pay the price and they pay the price.

‘I want to see this next weekend if the players that were not going to the national team, I want to see if they are going to play. Drinkwater? Delph? The only one that is not playing is Phil Jones.’
Mourinho gripes too often but I have to say he has a right to gripe this time. Southgate should be embarrassed with himself for playing Jones in a friendly when Jones had so much tape around his thigh he was practically mummified.

samyadav
Red & Blue Braces
FS Record: FISODAS Champions Cup Season 29 Winner

Post by samyadav »

So what are the people on WC doing? Benching Jones or going for a different player altogether?

I am more leaned towards benching him but if is out for long then it would inevitably cost a precious transfer

dino1980
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: FPL Best, 1,000th 2014-15.

Post by dino1980 »

I’m on wildcard and have enough of a bench to cover him. Building too many future transfers into a wildcard isn’t ideal but Smallimg, who has started the last five, is only 5.3.

No Way Jose
Grumpy Old Man

Post by No Way Jose »

I would hold with a view to rojo in a few weeks who will likely take his place anyway once fit

hancockjr
Dumbledore
FS Record: FPL: Not as good as it was, but still very respectable.

Post by hancockjr »

No Way Jose wrote: 16 Nov 2017, 04:48 I would hold with a view to rojo in a few weeks who will likely take his place anyway once fit
No way No Way Jose, Rojo will not take Jones' place unless Jones is injured.

Sutter Kane
Dumbledore
FS Record: Unknown.

Post by Sutter Kane »

Well this is another of those annoying Jones/Mourinho situations where I'd like to bring him in with one of my frees but now can't. He'll get 9 points now.

MPTree
Grumpy Old Man

Post by MPTree »

samyadav wrote:
So what are the people on WC doing? Benching Jones or going for a different player altogether?

I am more leaned towards benching him but if is out for long then it would inevitably cost a precious transfer
I think it largely depends how much you paid for him. A bargain (and a probable hold) at 5.0, but I think a questionable inclusion closer to 5.5.

Looks like he misses the Newcastle game and we’re not entirely sure yet if he’s back in time for Brighton. Then after Watford it’s Arsenal & City and we’re into the busy December schedule where he likely faces rotation anyhow.

I paid 5.4 for him on my WC earlier in the break and I’m removing him from my squad for suresies.

eastcentral1
Dumbledore

Post by eastcentral1 »

I got him early. This is good excuse to take a hit to upgrade Mbemba to Mee.

samyadav
Red & Blue Braces
FS Record: FISODAS Champions Cup Season 29 Winner

Post by samyadav »

Well, I am somewhere in the middle. I knew he was going to rise rapidly so used my free to get Jones in gw11 at 5.3

Well I quite want to keep him because I don't think I would pay 5.7 for a GK(DDG in this case)

Kuchi
FISOhead
FS Record: Best: 16/17- 481

Post by Kuchi »

Question for me would be how are United going to do without him? Surely that will impact their CS potential? Will be leaving him on the bench myself. Probably just play him every game regardless and make sure first sub is good.

No Way Jose
Grumpy Old Man

Post by No Way Jose »

hancockjr wrote: 16 Nov 2017, 08:01
No Way Jose wrote: 16 Nov 2017, 04:48 I would hold with a view to rojo in a few weeks who will likely take his place anyway once fit
No way No Way Jose, Rojo will not take Jones' place unless Jones is injured.
Agree to disagree. Rojo was fantastic pre injury under mourinho. Majority of united fans still have rojo and bailly as first choice but jones definitely has the ability to break that. Rojo being left footed and having marginally more potent passing ability was good.

He's done very well so far and I'm keen for him to stay in the team as I like him and have him in my team at 5.1. History says he won't stay fit long enough to make that last long. Rojo may come back in his pre16/17 and not warrant a spot but I can definitely see it happen. Happy to be wrong but it's not as black and white as you make out

Hotstepper
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Reasonable

Post by Hotstepper »

Any replacement made for Jones could find himself replaced by Jones as early as next week again. If that is Jones doesnt play vs Newcastle, which I don't think is certain.

Unless there's news that Jones is out for a spell, then I think it's hold for this week and look to your other 4 defenders. Same as eastcentral1 said above, I'll probably upgrade Mbemba to Mee or Dann.

TheBigLewandowski
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: OR 1,259 2016/17

Post by TheBigLewandowski »

Think it's a hold for me this week, but means playing Naughton away to Burnley which isn't ideal considering the Swans are out of form at the moment.

OIEIAO
FISOhead

Post by OIEIAO »

Turd Ferguson wrote: 16 Nov 2017, 01:18

Mourinho gripes too often but I have to say he has a right to gripe this time. Southgate should be embarrassed with himself for playing Jones in a friendly when Jones had so much tape around his thigh he was practically mummified.
Seems harsh to me, much as it is annoying from an FPL perspective. Presumably he was passed fit by the England medical team if there was any doubt and presumably Jose would have picked him if it was a Man U game. I know it's "only a friendly" but this will have been the type of game a player like this, that isn't automatic first choice, wins their place in the world cup squad....(Maybe it's divine retribution for Jose getting Rashford off of last summer's tournaments for being "tired" after barely playing half a season...)

Anyway I'll get off my soapbox. it's probably a hold for me. I have Otamendi suspended too and will probably shift him for Mee so I can rotate my Burnley Newcastle and Leicester defenders in rotation going forwards. Will have to field Newcastle or Leicester defenders against man u or man c this week... but so be it.

First Sub Podcast
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Twitter @TheFirstSub_FPL

Post by First Sub Podcast »

Mourinho doesn't moan about injuries though? :roll:

Billy Bongo
FISO Knight

Post by Billy Bongo »

With a fit Smalling and Bailly why play Jones

Gambit
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Gambit »

Billy Bongo wrote: 16 Nov 2017, 14:06 With a fit Smalling and Bailly why play Jones
correct, Jones was injured going into that England game, it was ridiculous he started.

It could be JM mind games but I don't think so, anybody who saw that game could see Jones wasn't right, and JM would be just as crazy as Southgate to risk him on Saturday, why do it? Smalling and Bailly should be more than strong enough for Newcastle (and Brighton too if needed).

With the games coming thick and fast now I think Jones is a big risk, they will want him fit for the Arsenal and City games.

DDG is now cemented into my team as the United defensive option to replace Jones.

Notned
FISO Knight

Post by Notned »

He's a hold for me if it's not serious. Still two strong fixtures beyond this week.

Is anyone going to start him just on the off chance, btw? Mourinho has played these sort of games before..

Pirlo's Beard
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Pirlo's Beard »

Notned wrote: 16 Nov 2017, 18:32 Is anyone going to start him just on the off chance, btw? Mourinho has played these sort of games before..

I think you'd be foolish not to start him on the off-chance, to be honest.

TheBigLewandowski
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: OR 1,259 2016/17

Post by TheBigLewandowski »

It's unlikely that he starts then, but there is a chance that he does? So frustrating!

First Sub Podcast
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Twitter @TheFirstSub_FPL

Post by First Sub Podcast »

He won’t cameo, so I’ll start him.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Fantasy PremierLeague.com (FPL)”