To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

The Andy Carroll Trap

A Fantasy Football forum for news on fantasy football games run by the Premierleague (FPL).
Stemania
FISO Jedi Knight
Location: On the Iron Throne of xG, the seat of The Crown Prince of the Stat Perverts. Or if not, in the STC!
FS Record: Best: TFF 321st. FPL 129th. FFS Career HoF Peak 2nd (Live 1st). Ability since lost.

The Andy Carroll Trap

Post by Stemania »

So...the impossible has happened, Phil Jones has marvelously thrown off his injury prone meme and temporarily become one of the most popular FPL players (cue an injury). But can another of the perennially Crocked Crew emulate his heroics?

Andy Carroll is 5.9m (a great price for a West Ham striker) and has a fantastic fixture run from GW7 (SWA, bur, BRI, cry, LIV, wat, LEI). Fit and in the team again, and has a very solid goalscoring record when he is fit (something like pro rata 14-16 goals a season). But

1) Is he likely to keep his place in the team with all the options West Ham have - any views fans?

2) If so, will he stay fit long enough to be a good FPL buy at 5.9m for the next couple of months?

Bilic has gone on the record to suggest he's finding it tough to work out how to play both Carroll and Hernandez together as forwards, hence Hernandez playing on the left side of a front 3 recently. But with Arnautovic back and Antonio a staple, what happens now?

Could he be the answer for teams wanting two of Kane/Lukaku/City in a way the likes of Abraham/Josulu might not quite be? He looks so very enticing! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Re: The Andy Carroll Trap

Post by blahblah »

You make him sound like a toilet....

Yep, sat on him this week :?

Stemania
FISO Jedi Knight
Location: On the Iron Throne of xG, the seat of The Crown Prince of the Stat Perverts. Or if not, in the STC!
FS Record: Best: TFF 321st. FPL 129th. FFS Career HoF Peak 2nd (Live 1st). Ability since lost.

Post by Stemania »

Ha ha. Not at all, I really like the guy as a pick and would love to be convinced (I'm currently expecting to bring him in anyway despite not being fully convinced). :)

jacksosi
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: TFF : 87th 06/07 ; FPL 1401st 08/09 ; 5AS champions 21/22 🔫🍸

Post by jacksosi »

If I wasn't going with 3 premium strikers, I'd have have him...would like to go with a 514 formation .

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

Stemania wrote: 21 Sep 2017, 12:10 Abraham/Josulu might not quite be?
Being serious: these are pretty much the point as there are options at that Price Range: Carroll is a bit more expensive(?) so easier to move from than to, so he gets first bash for me.

That said, I have 5.9m ITB :shock: :?

Pulpy
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Pulpy »

For me he looks the best cheap striker option at the moment. If not, or if he was to suffer an injury (yes, it could actually happen!) then it is an easy transfer to whichever looks best of Joselu, Hemed, Abraham, Cook or Calvert-Lewin. Those five do not have the goal scoring record Carroll does, so should he not be the go to guy in that range?

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Pulpy wrote: 21 Sep 2017, 12:55 or if he was to suffer an injury (yes, it could actually happen!)
Oh no it can't :lol: :lol: :lol:

He's a big, strong NE lad - how can he possibly get injured?

Ruth_NZ
Grumpy Old Gorilla

Post by Ruth_NZ »

Ruth_NZ
Grumpy Old Gorilla

Post by Ruth_NZ »

I'd see 4-4-2 as sensible for West Ham, something like:

Hart
Zabaleta Fonte Reid Cresswell
Antonio Obiang Kouyate/Noble Arnie/Ayew
Chicharito Carroll

But Bilic won't be doing that I think. It's going to come down to Chicharito/Carroll either/or, especially once Lanzini returns. Making both unpickable as far as I can see. :|

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Or Pea as a No 10 in a 4-2-3-1, with Lanzini plus one?

Tbh: none of those players are actually that good in Prem terms, imho....

Also Carroll will be crocked by the end of October. (I pretty much having him as a holding player until Abraham\Joselu et al start firing. Anyone that thinks\expects to have him for the season is more blah than me :lol: )

Pulpy
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Pulpy »

Ruth_NZ wrote: 21 Sep 2017, 13:43 But Bilic won't be doing that I think. It's going to come down to Chicharito/Carroll either/or, especially once Lanzini returns. Making both unpickable as far as I can see. :|
Hmm hadn't much considered that he won't start if fit. Bilic seems to like him and has picked him when available. He and Chicharito are very different types of forward so I'm not sure it is between them for one spot. One more doubt to add to the obvious one I guess.

On the upside if he stays fit and plays he'll be fantastic value. Wait and see is an option but how long do we wait?

Ruth_NZ
Grumpy Old Gorilla

Post by Ruth_NZ »

I'm not waiting, Pulpy. Unless something quite remarkable happens, Carroll won't get near my team.

I don't think West Ham paid £16m for Chicharito to use him as an impact sub. I don't think Bilic is keen to play with 2 upfront. I therefore don't believe that Carroll can be considered nailed even if he remains fit. And I don't want him running away with my hubcaps any more. :lol:

Joccki_10
Grumpy Old Joker
FS Record: 16/17: 55 OR, 1 FISO Forum, 1 NLD and FISO Cup Winner

Post by Joccki_10 »

Ruth_NZ wrote:I'm not waiting, Pulpy. Unless something quite remarkable happens, Carroll won't get near my team.

I don't think West Ham paid £16m for Chicharito to use him as an impact sub. I don't think Bilic is keen to play with 2 upfront. I therefore don't believe that Carroll can be considered nailed even if he remains fit. And I don't want him running away with my hubcaps any more. :lol:

Do you indirectly mean we should maybe have more patience with Chicharito considering their excellent upcoming fixture-run?

Ruth_NZ
Grumpy Old Gorilla

Post by Ruth_NZ »

No. Not. Niet. Nicht. Nooit. :roll: :shock: I don't want Chicharito running away with my hubcaps either. :lol:

viewtopic.php?f=99&t=126074&p=3106045#p3106045

Finisher1
Dumbledore

Post by Finisher1 »

Carroll on the bench! :lol:

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Poo

Pulpy
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Pulpy »

Bottled it in the end and did not pick him. Relieved now, though he could still prove a decent pick in future weeks.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

blahblah wrote: 21 Sep 2017, 10:27
Smurphy's Paw wrote: 21 Sep 2017, 05:21 Carroll though? Not for me
You Heathen, you. What is the point of playing FPL without getting annoyed at him? :shock:

Have him and he gets crocked while doing nowt; don't have him and he scores :lol: :lol: :lol:

I brought him in earlier this GW
Ruth_NZ wrote: 21 Sep 2017, 11:42 The bvgger is worse than that, he has now found a new way to sabotage my FPL team without ever having been in it and without being in anyone else's either. That is by making a miraculous recovery from injury in order to push my opportunist striker into a wide role he can't play. This forces me to sell, at which point Carroll will revert to injured mode and my striker will return to position A and start scoring again.

The only solution I can see is "don't have Carroll or any player in the slightest way associated with him". The highlighted part being this season's new development. :roll:

And while on bench he injures Antonio 8-)

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Fantasy PremierLeague.com (FPL)”