To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Which Liverpool mid do we want?

A Fantasy Football forum for news on fantasy football games run by the Premierleague (FPL).

Which of these is in your team, or would you want if you could get them in?

Coutinho
30%
Mane
20%
Salah
43%
Lallana
No votes
Wijnaldum
No votes
Other
No votes
None
6%

Total votes: 79

bigcliff2
Dumbledore
FS Record: Rubbish

Re: Liverpool mids going foward

Post by bigcliff2 »

I think they'll all score well, it's not something I'd be getting bogged down in worrying about. Like you say, I'd probably pick Coutinho right now if I was w/cing simply because he's the cheapest.

As for the penalties, I was wondering that myself yesterday. I wouldn't have Henderson hitting them myself and I'm not sure it would be him. Possibly Lallana, though again he's not guaranteed to be on the pitch either. It's impossible to say IMO.

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

I think the current first choice front 3 is: Mane/Firmino/Salah with Coutinho playing the 'Lallana role' in central midfield. Sturridge can slot in (like yesterday) as can others and Lallana will soon be back so plenty of rotation/resting options.

As for pens, I think it goes: Firmino/Milner/Henderson but no great evidence to back that up.

gallus
Grumpy Old Man

Post by gallus »

Whoever you can afford would be my advice. I currently have Coutinho. Mane has the best potential imo, but I can't afford him.

TheBigLewandowski
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: OR 1,259 2016/17

Post by TheBigLewandowski »

They will all score well over the course of the season IMO.
Also looks like Firmino may be rotated more this season based on yesterday's benching?
He played an awful lot of minutes last season iirc.

Stemania
FISO Jedi Knight
Location: On the Iron Throne of xG, the seat of The Crown Prince of the Stat Perverts. Or if not, in the STC!
FS Record: Best: TFF 321st. FPL 129th. FFS Career HoF Peak 2nd (Live 1st). Ability since lost.

Re: Which Liverpool mid do we want?

Post by Stemania »

Thread merged with previous on same topic. I took the liberty to reset the now-outdated poll. Previous results (up until the first week of September) below:
Player, Votes, %
Coutinho 20 9%
Mane 85 39%
Salah 92 43%
Lallana 3 1%
Wijnaldum 4 2%
Other 0 0%
None 12 6%

Joccki_10
Grumpy Old Joker
FS Record: 16/17: 55 OR, 1 FISO Forum, 1 NLD and FISO Cup Winner

Post by Joccki_10 »

If Mané drops to £9.3 by gameweek 10, I will get him. If he doesn't, I will probably get him too. :)

baganboy
Comfortably Dumb(ledore)
FS Record: 2011/12 - 212. 2019/20 - 222.
Altogether 6 top 10Ks. 8 top 20Ks. 9 top 50Ks.

Post by baganboy »

What Joccki said. Though Coutinho ....

dino1980
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: FPL Best, 1,000th 2014-15.

Post by dino1980 »

Salah for me and it's not even close. His numbers this season (xG+xA) are far higher than Mane's. Expanding the sample Salah's numbers for this season, and those he put up last season at Roma, are far higher than anything Mane has managed in his time in English football.

Aldershot Rejects
Dumbledore
FS Record: 5th Metro (2010-11); 146 - Sky (2015-16); 218 - Sky (2014-15); 386 - Sky (2020-21); 636 - FPL (2017-18); last 16 Sky Cup (2018-19)

Post by Aldershot Rejects »

dino1980 wrote: 02 Oct 2017, 16:02 Salah for me and it's not even close. His numbers this season (xG+xA) are far higher than Mane's. Expanding the sample Salah's numbers for this season, and those he put up last season at Roma, are far higher than anything Mane has managed in his time in English football.
I agree re Salah.

Coutinho scored about 10% higher than Mane with similar figures last year, so I'd put Mane third (especially as he is the highest price). Ironically though, I suspect (and I haven't checked this) that Liverpool actually score more goals when Mane plays.

I would be tempted to double up, although the fact that Liverpool are struggling a bit at present is putting me off a bit at the moment.

Joccki_10
Grumpy Old Joker

Post by Joccki_10 »

Aldershot Rejects wrote:
dino1980 wrote: 02 Oct 2017, 16:02 Salah for me and it's not even close. His numbers this season (xG+xA) are far higher than Mane's. Expanding the sample Salah's numbers for this season, and those he put up last season at Roma, are far higher than anything Mane has managed in his time in English football.
I agree re Salah.

Coutinho scored about 10% higher than Mane with similar figures last year, so I'd put Mane third (especially as he is the highest price). Ironically though, I suspect (and I haven't checked this) that Liverpool actually score more goals when Mane plays.

I would be tempted to double up, although the fact that Liverpool are struggling a bit at present is putting me off a bit at the moment.

Could be, guys. I won’t argue about this since these are probably the ‘hard’ stats. But the eye test and Mané being less of a rotation risk convince me otherwise.

Oxford NZ
Dumbledore
FS Record: They think it's all over!

Post by Oxford NZ »

I ticked the none box but would like Coutinho. I just cant afford him and potentially Hazard at the same time. Chelsea and City look more attractive atm but I am sure I will change my mind.

RuudTheDudeVanTheMan
Dumbledore
FS Record: Pioneer and perpetual main protagonist of the prestigious perennial Phlegmiership. Other than that particularly pointless prize pretty average.

2 time Divisional Championships Premier League winner :)

Post by RuudTheDudeVanTheMan »

Currently have Salah but will get Silva for upcoming game week. Will be looking to get Coutinho after the next 2 gws probably for Alli.

Resonare
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Resonare »

I had Coutinho for 8.8m but got rid for Ritchie to fund Aguero :lol:

I think he is probably the best option.

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

murf wrote:As for pens, I think it goes: Firmino/Milner/Henderson but no great evidence to back that up.
Worth noting that Salah took and scored one for Egypt the other day. Under pressure too as an injury time winner that took them to the World Cup finals!

Striker
FISO Knight

Post by Striker »

murf wrote: 09 Oct 2017, 22:54
murf wrote:As for pens, I think it goes: Firmino/Milner/Henderson but no great evidence to back that up.
Worth noting that Salah took and scored one for Egypt the other day. Under pressure too as an injury time winner that took them to the World Cup finals!

The under pressure comment is a valuable one IF the penalty was a very good one. Do you know if it was potentially savable or not?

P.S. Just seen it on YouTube - was a pretty good penalty without being outstanding.

hancockjr
Dumbledore
FS Record: FPL: Not as good as it was, but still very respectable.

Post by hancockjr »

Salah is an appalling finisher though so he will always have a final total that is lower than the xG predicts.

dino1980
Grumpy Old Man

Post by dino1980 »

hancockjr wrote: 10 Oct 2017, 07:22
Salah is an appalling finisher though so he will always have a final total that is lower than the xG predicts.
Apart from the last three seasons when he's outscored his xG by 1.59, 4.62 and 2.19 goals :D I didn't follow his time at Roma, but it seems to me that his reputation as a bad finisher is based on seven games in the PL, which doesn't seem long enough given he scored 29/65 for Roma. I'm not saying he's a better finisher than Mane or Coutinho. He certainly won't score as many cut-inside-bend-it-in-the-top-corner goals as Mane or edge of the box beauties as Coutinho. But, in my opinion, he will score more goals. Mainly because he will take more shots in the box and his average quality of chance will be higher. I also think he'll provide more assists than Mane (based on historical KPp90 numbers).

My above 'it's not even close' might be taken it a touch far, the three main mids are all fine options and I'm sure I'll double up before the season is out.

Sutter Kane
Dumbledore
FS Record: Unknown.

Post by Sutter Kane »

What's the argument for having none of them? Is that lunacy? If it is indeed Salah (easily or not), then is it a case of Salah wins vs all other mids, Liverpool or not?

I'm certainly in no rush to bring any of them on board. If I do, it'll likely be GW10 for Eriksen and budget based depending on what I want to do with the rest of my squad...I have to say, I'd be bothered about releasing Eriksen.

dino1980
Grumpy Old Man

Post by dino1980 »

It certainly possible to make a case for having none of them. The FISO 'template' seems to have two spots (max) for 8.5m+ midfielders. City, with cheaper assets and Chelsea, both have better fixtures than Liverpool and Spurs have two proven 9.5M+ midfielders who aren't as prone to rotation.

andybarrell
Dumbledore
FS Record: 2013 Licence to Kill Winner
2019 S15 R2 Championship Winner
2020 FISO H2H League 1 Winner
2020 5aSide Champions (Falcons)

Post by andybarrell »

FF Newbie
Wideboy
FS Record: Newbie

Post by FF Newbie »

dino1980 wrote: 10 Oct 2017, 16:11 It certainly possible to make a case for having none of them. The FISO 'template' seems to have two spots (max) for 8.5m+ midfielders. City, with cheaper assets and Chelsea, both have better fixtures than Liverpool and Spurs have two proven 9.5M+ midfielders who aren't as prone to rotation.
What's the Fiso template?

Joccki_10
Grumpy Old Joker

Post by Joccki_10 »

baganboy wrote:What Joccki said.

Or not. :lol:

dino1980
Grumpy Old Man

Post by dino1980 »

FF Newbie wrote: 10 Oct 2017, 16:22
dino1980 wrote: 10 Oct 2017, 16:11 It certainly possible to make a case for having none of them. The FISO 'template' seems to have two spots (max) for 8.5m+ midfielders. City, with cheaper assets and Chelsea, both have better fixtures than Liverpool and Spurs have two proven 9.5M+ midfielders who aren't as prone to rotation.
What's the Fiso template?
I tried to send you a PM but couldn't and don't want to clog up a thread about Liverpool midfielders with template talk. But, in one sentence, lower spend in midfield to enable higher spend in attack and/or defence.

Mav3rick
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FPL: 1082, 1201, 1800, 10203

The stats are dark and full of errors.

Post by Mav3rick »

Well, the Mane news removes one of my transfer wishes, which was getting him in for one of Salah or Alli in the near future.

In that case I'm happy enough with Salah in my side, I'm not super convinced by a Chelsea midfielder (other than Hazard who's a different category really) and I can't get Eriksen due to the three player limit. Salah's been returning good amounts of underlying stats and looks dangerous, I'm also less worried about rotation with Mane out (early subbings perhaps but hopefully 60+ min appearances) which makes Salah a potential captain pick now in GW10.

Coutinho would be a reasonable choice too, but too sideways for me (Salah only 9.1 sale price) and ultimately I think Salah has a decent chance to score more FPL points due to his more advanced position, although it's arguable that Coutinho could play further forward, or that Lallana would become the true value pick while Mane is out.

Smurphy Paw
FISO Knight
FS Record: Mediocre, apparently
13/14: FPL 1792; FIFA 14 Top 700.
17/18: FPL 696th; loads of mini-League wins and side game promotions
18/19 1FC Köln 5AS Champions
#1 Spring Super League regular season 19/20 & 20/21

Post by Smurphy Paw »

As a Salah owner I am keeping. I would prefer Coutinho on recent form, but not enough for the sideways switch.
If, however, I had a free hand...

owenclass
Grumpy Old Man

Could Adam Lallana be an option when he comes back from injury

Post by owenclass »

Well with the news of Sadio Mane getting injured then i think Lallsna when he comes back could be good player to pick

Mav3rick
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FPL: 1082, 1201, 1800, 10203

The stats are dark and full of errors.

Post by Mav3rick »

Seems that Salah is the Liverpool pen taker now! According to FFS quoting Klopp's presser...

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

Seems that Salah is the Liverpool pen taker now! According to FISO quoting Klopp's presser... ;)

Finisher1
Dumbledore

Post by Finisher1 »

Mav3rick wrote:Seems that Salah is the Liverpool pen taker now! According to FFS quoting Klopp's presser...
Are you sure he wasn't simply joking? I think he was asked what he thought about Salah's penalty for Egypt, to which he answered "I think he is our penalty taker now!"

We should see the clip to put it in context.

Resonare
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Resonare »

I've thought about it and decided to go with Mane again. With the Xmas period fastly approaching, it seems as though Mane is less likely to get rotated having missed a lot of games already. Klopp played him in every game during the same period last season as well while Salah has been rested a few times already this season so that's swayed me toward Mane.

Also, I think there's a good chance that Mane will outscore Salah during this period in the games they both play. Salah has more goal attempts, but Mane's conversion rate is better and he is certainly the more clinical finisher. Of course, we can't simply say that Mane or Salah is the bigger goal threat without exact numbers for the two stats above (sudden moment of deja vu, think I was saying this on another thread?) but in tight games like Chelsea at home in GW13 I think I trust Mane to deliver points living off of scraps than I do Salah.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Fantasy PremierLeague.com (FPL)”