To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

I'm not tempted by any premium midfielder at the start of the season

A Fantasy Football forum for news on fantasy football games run by the Premierleague (FPL).
Finisher1
Dumbledore

I'm not tempted by any premium midfielder at the start of the season

Post by Finisher1 »

It seems like all the premium midfielders have some flaws at the start of the season - either it's fixtures, questionable gametime or something else.

If I look at the premium bracket (from 8.0 upwards), there's no midfielder I'd absolutely want to have in my team.

Maybe just start with three midfielders, with picks like Willian, Tadic, Redmond, Chadli, Sako etc and have all the premium in attack and defence?

Anyone thinking the same?

Arhaych
FISOhead
FS Record: Voted "Most Suave Fantasy Manager" - 2012/2013

Re: I'm not tempted by any premium midfielder at the start of the season

Post by Arhaych »

Personally, I like Alli, Eriksen, Ozil, Coutinho, Salah, Mane and De Bruyne.

However, I know what you mean, some great value at 7.0m this year.

bigcliff2
Dumbledore
FS Record: Rubbish

Post by bigcliff2 »

There's no way I'm going without a Liverpool one, just not sure which one.

Finisher1
Dumbledore

Post by Finisher1 »

Alli and Eriksen have tough GW2, Wembley thing and I guess even Newcastle may be an improved team this season.

Too much question marks over Liverpool's main man.

De Bruyne, a way too expensive and question marks over his role and gametime.

It seems really untempting to me, but maybe we get some questions resolved before GW1!
Last edited by Finisher1 on 24 Jul 2017, 13:46, edited 1 time in total.

bigcliff2
Dumbledore

Post by bigcliff2 »

Finisher1 wrote: 24 Jul 2017, 13:42
Two much question marks over Liverpool's main man.
Mane, Coutinho and Salah will all score well IMO

Finisher1
Dumbledore

Post by Finisher1 »

bigcliff2 wrote: 24 Jul 2017, 13:39 There's no way I'm going without a Liverpool one, just not sure which one.
But that's a very crucial question, isn't it? Who is their main man?

There's no way I'd pick a Liverpool player just for a cover. Each player is an individual and has his own individual points potential.

bigcliff2
Dumbledore

Post by bigcliff2 »

Finisher1 wrote: 24 Jul 2017, 13:45
bigcliff2 wrote: 24 Jul 2017, 13:39 There's no way I'm going without a Liverpool one, just not sure which one.
But that's a very crucial question, isn't it? Who is their main man?

There's no way I'd pick a Liverpool player just for a cover. Each player is an individual and has his own individual points potential.
Nobody is their "main man" - they'll all score well, just like Firmino, Mane and Coutinho did last season. Yes, it's hard to pick one of the 3 and potentially frustrating to pick the wrong one, but they're all good picks.

ZeroRemorse
Grumpy Old Man

Post by ZeroRemorse »

Alli sticks out to me the most, 18 goals and 11 assists last season valued at 9.5m, incredibly good value statistically and ceiling wise. A year older and a year wiser, could be easily 20+ this season. But, due to the "Wembley factor", I don't want to double up on both so early in the season, as Spurs are slow starters and have a new ground to get used to. So I've only got Kane currently.

OIEIAO
FISOhead

Post by OIEIAO »

I have Alli but I agree the sentiments of the original post. I mentioned this in the "post your week 1 team" thread. If I don't want KDB or the Liverpool lottery, and I think Sanchez is a bit too pricey (if he even stays), I wonder who is really of interest at 8m plus?

asm_fanz
Grumpy Old Frog

Post by asm_fanz »

I don't mind spending less in midfield to have 3 premium strikers and a better defence, however I think it raises an issue regarding team structure to go without any premium midfielder. It'll require multiple transfers to accomodate a premium mid if one happens to hit the ground running. I'm currently set on Alli and am debating whether I want a Liverpool mid too.

Notned
FISO Knight

Post by Notned »

I agree there are question marks on all of them.

I'm on Mane currently and he is definitely my favourite of the bunch, but has had a long injury lay off and yet to feature pre-season..

Alli is great, but maybe slight question marks over the ground move and with Kane a shoe-in for me I'm not sure on the double up..

KDB is too expensive for my set up, especially with Sane available significantly cheaper..

Ozil is overpriced, and I prefer Ramsey anyway..

So it's definitely a watching brief. Do like the idea of at least one 9.5m slot for flexibility though and ease of jumping in when one or more inevitably start firing..

Finisher1
Dumbledore

Post by Finisher1 »

asm_fanz wrote: 24 Jul 2017, 14:30 I don't mind spending less in midfield to have 3 premium strikers and a better defence, however I think it raises an issue regarding team structure to go without any premium midfielder. It'll require multiple transfers to accomodate a premium mid if one happens to hit the ground running.
That's true, but I think an early wildcard is very likely anyway, so I don't want to make too much compromises just for the sake of flexibility. I rather just pick the best possible team for a very short term, say GW1-3.

Ruth_NZ
Grumpy Old Gorilla

Post by Ruth_NZ »

I think it's that time of the season when there are doubts everywhere to be honest. But it's certainly true that the midfielders that have gone up in my estimation as GW1 picks so far are both 7m players.

I still think it's way too soon to be sure of anything much and won't seriously start compiling a team for 2 weeks yet.

cesc408
Grumpy Old Man

Post by cesc408 »

Long time to go and lots can happen.

Watch Alli or Salah bang goals in there last friendly, or Pedro score twice in the community shield and people will look at fitting them in over their current choices..

I'm on Alli atm and will only downgrade if I want to spend the cash in defence. Otherwise I feel he is a good pick.

Mav3rick
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FPL: 1082, 1201, 1800, 10203

The stats are dark and full of errors.

Post by Mav3rick »

I'm easily tempted enough by Alli and one of the Liverpool mids. I might not be able to predict which one will fire but I'm happy to take punt on one of them.

I think it's important to have the slot available, even if it ends up occupied by someone you never thought of considering.

There is value in the 7.0 mids it's true and I'll have one at least, but I don't think it's possible before GW1 to say you have the optimal or highest points potential team (even for as little as 3 GWs) and if you get it wrong then downward pressure on TV will be an issue. If you can't move structurally then it's a choice between hits, TV or wildcard.

I'd love to pick the best team, but I'll settle for one that starts ok and gives me options. I'll allow myself flexibility in initial price points to help with that.

donlos
Cheetah
FS Record: none

Post by donlos »

I feel you, @Finisher1, i'm playing william, sako, lallana, mkhitaryan, - Romeu.

This allows me to have decent defence, and the big three in attack, Lukaky, Kane, Jesus.

Do people reckon Sako will start? He's 2m cheaper than Zaha, have to have one of them with CP starting schedule.

swadd1er
Dumbledore

Post by swadd1er »

Notned wrote: 24 Jul 2017, 14:47 I agree there are question marks on all of them.

I'm on Mane currently and he is definitely my favourite of the bunch, but has had a long injury lay off and yet to feature pre-season..

Alli is great, but maybe slight question marks over the ground move and with Kane a shoe-in for me I'm not sure on the double up..

KDB is too expensive for my set up, especially with Sane available significantly cheaper..

Ozil is overpriced, and I prefer Ramsey anyway..

So it's definitely a watching brief. Do like the idea of at least one 9.5m slot for flexibility though and ease of jumping in when one or more inevitably start firing..
Couldn't have said what i'm thinking any better Notned. We seem to have the same brain when it comes to FPL.

Notned
FISO Knight

Post by Notned »

swadd1er wrote: 24 Jul 2017, 18:20
Couldn't have said what i'm thinking any better Notned. We seem to have the same brain when it comes to FPL.
Great minds and all that, hey?! Maybe.

boise1234
Grumpy Old Man

Post by boise1234 »

Agree with pretty much all of the above but think the main reason for not picking pricey mids is that it is very hard to look past Lukaka and Kane up front which means there just isn't the spare cash for big mids.

At the moment the only one I have in there is Coutinho (just love the guy) and will find room for Hazard once fit - would love to have Ali and KdB but not if it means having to downgrade one of my two "super-premium" strikers

Hotstepper
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Reasonable

Post by Hotstepper »

I feel like I'm looking at buying a premium mid because I should rather than because I want to

dino1980
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: FPL Best, 1,000th 2014-15.

Post by dino1980 »

ZeroRemorse wrote: 24 Jul 2017, 14:06 Alli sticks out to me the most, 18 goals and 11 assists last season valued at 9.5m, incredibly good value statistically and ceiling wise. A year older and a year wiser, could be easily 20+ this season. But, due to the "Wembley factor", I don't want to double up on both so early in the season, as Spurs are slow starters and have a new ground to get used to. So I've only got Kane currently.
Yeah I think Alli has the potential to be the best value 9m+ player in the game this season. It's comventional wisdom that a player has to score 20 points per million to be worth their price tag. For Alli that's 190 points. I'm fairly certain that if a spread betting firm were pricing up his season points tally it'd be around the 205 mark. He's also potential captain material in my opinion, if Sanchez stays he is too obviously but I don't think the Liv mids are, nor KDB unless it becomes clear that he's not a rotation risk. Ozil could be if played behind the front man if a 3-4-2-1 but only if the 15/16 Ozil turns up.

I currently have Alli and Mane in a 3-4-3. I'm not overly worried about owning both to start the season. There are easy outs for both if you want to shift either on. Also, if the Wembley narrative is a negative, then last season's performance at home to Chelsea is surely a positive? Not that I buy into either.

From4corners
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by From4corners »

All talk about Alli, yet Eriksen seems to be ignored completely? Wouldn't be surprised to see Eriksen outscore Alli.

Baerardi
Treebeard

Post by Baerardi »

From4corners wrote: 24 Jul 2017, 21:08 All talk about Alli, yet Eriksen seems to be ignored completely? Wouldn't be surprised to see Eriksen outscore Alli.
Really? I'd be massively surprised. I can't imagine Eriksen ourscoring last season, whereas I think Alli can add an extra 25+ points to his tally.

Kuchi
FISOhead
FS Record: Best: 16/17- 481

Post by Kuchi »

Alli, Erikson, KDB, Mane all seem like good choices for me. Question is how to fit whichever one you want into the squad.

carver
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Top 50k last 4 seasons . Mr Consistent

Post by carver »

I've only got Mane , and if he doesn't make it I might go without also. If you get the right forwards and defenders it should be fine. Doesn't leave you much flexibility though if you decide to get someone GW1/2

Mike1989
Treebeard

Post by Mike1989 »

I've currently got Alli and Coutinho. I think both are safe bets, but I do have more reservations over the premium priced Liverpool midfielders because they've got Coutinho, Sane, Salah, plus Lallana and Firmino - they are all likely starters and depending on formation and how they play, goals and assists should be shared around.

So would someone like Siggy with a more guaranteed and prominent role be better value? Perhaps if you feel Liverpool's midfielders/strikers could end up being hard to project goals and assists wise. But really going forwards the likes of Coutinho and Sane should be fairy safe bets, but admittedly there might be value found elsewhere and money saved might help in other areas.

Ruth_NZ
Grumpy Old Gorilla

Post by Ruth_NZ »

Mav3rick wrote: 24 Jul 2017, 16:56I'd love to pick the best team, but I'll settle for one that starts OK and gives me options. I'll allow myself flexibility in initial price points to help with that.
Exactly my thoughts too. Just give me an OK start, that's all I want really. :)

Archy
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Maybe all is not lost after all

Post by Archy »

From4corners wrote: 24 Jul 2017, 21:08 All talk about Alli, yet Eriksen seems to be ignored completely? Wouldn't be surprised to see Eriksen outscore Alli.
+1

Glad I'm not the only one who's noticed this. There's little to chosse between the two on paper but Alli is massively favoured on here, and in the game generally (Currently 38% ownership for Alli compared to Eriksen 13%)

Looking at some underlying stats from last year: Eriksen had 3.7 shots oper game (same as Kane) compared to Alli 2.5. He also made 3.1 key passes per game, compared to Alli 1.4.

Alli did great last year, but scoring 18 goals from 35 starts is better than most strikers and, although he's a young player on the rise, maintaining that sort of strike rate without penalty duties (assuming no Kane injuries) is surely going to be difficult to maintain.

I think its 50/50 between the two but not owning Alli comes with a risk so will probably play it safe and go with the masses. They really should have made Alli 0.5m more expensive, which would have made things much more interesting.

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

Ruth_NZ wrote: 25 Jul 2017, 13:28
Mav3rick wrote: 24 Jul 2017, 16:56I'd love to pick the best team, but I'll settle for one that starts OK and gives me options. I'll allow myself flexibility in initial price points to help with that.
Exactly my thoughts too. Just give me an OK start, that's all I want really. :)
I'll settle for not having half the bstrds injured for yonks or not picked like last season.

I'm almost expecting to play the FH in GW1 :roll: :?

ZeroRemorse
Grumpy Old Man

Post by ZeroRemorse »

Archy wrote: 25 Jul 2017, 13:56
+1

Glad I'm not the only one who's noticed this. There's little to chosse between the two on paper but Alli is massively favoured on here, and in the game generally (Currently 38% ownership for Alli compared to Eriksen 13%)

Looking at some underlying stats from last year: Eriksen had 3.7 shots oper game (same as Kane) compared to Alli 2.5. He also made 3.1 key passes per game, compared to Alli 1.4.

Alli did great last year, but scoring 18 goals from 35 starts is better than most strikers and, although he's a young player on the rise, maintaining that sort of strike rate without penalty duties (assuming no Kane injuries) is surely going to be difficult to maintain.

I think its 50/50 between the two but not owning Alli comes with a risk so will probably play it safe and go with the masses. They really should have made Alli 0.5m more expensive, which would have made things much more interesting.
Alli is simply just a better finisher than Eriksen, I'd put that stats away a little bit when it comes down to the crunch of things. Quality doesn't always shine through in statistics and I think you're reading into them a little too much.

Alli to bang in 15+ again this season, while Eriksen will struggle to score 10+ goals.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Fantasy PremierLeague.com (FPL)”