To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Palace players - 3-4-3

A Fantasy Football forum for news on fantasy football games run by the Premierleague (FPL).
Gambit
Grumpy Old Man

Palace players - 3-4-3

Post by Gambit »

The is FDB talking about his system for the game today:
There was some very good things but there were some minor things that we need to improve," adds the Dutchman.

"Everybody understands what we want to achieve in this system. We are going to play the same system."
I've been looking at the Palace fixtures and they have an excellent first 5, probably as good as anybody else has, their team today was:

Hennessey, Kelly, Milivojevic, Delaney, Townsend, Schlupp, Loftus-Cheek, Puncheon, Zaha, Sako, Benteke, beating West Brom 2-0.

In terms of how they lined up today it was:

Kelly - Milo - Delaney
Townsend - Puncheon - Loftus Cheek - Schlupp
Sako - Benteke - Zaha

So, what are people thinking of Palace options? if Schlupp or PVA could nail down being on the left of the 4 they could be excellent value, an extra midfielder in your team.

Baerardi
Treebeard

Re: Palace players - 3-4-3

Post by Baerardi »

The 3-4-3 could put big question marks over the amount of playing time RLC gets this season. I still expect Cabaye and Milivojevic to play.

Sako suddenly looks like incredible value at 5.0 if he can get a good number of games.

EDIT - I should stress I meant Milivojevic playing in a midfield role rather than in the defensive three.

gallus
Grumpy Old Man

Post by gallus »

Sako... Dammit I'm tempted.

asm_fanz
Grumpy Old Frog

Post by asm_fanz »

Is Townsend the best pick for a RWB role though? Ward could probably play there too and Sako left out for Townsend in the front 3, one more thing to keep an eye on in presesason

Baerardi
Treebeard

Post by Baerardi »

Infact, the more I look at that formation, the more I think it could be Ward are RWB/RM/Whatever you want to call it, with Townsend in Sako's position.

So many questions, so many possibilities.

Baerardi
Treebeard

Post by Baerardi »

asm_fanz wrote:Is Townsend the best pick for a RWB role though? Ward could probably play there too and Sako left out for Townsend in the front 3, one more thing to keep an eye on in presesason
Looks like you had the same thought as me 30 seconds earlier. :lol:

asm_fanz
Grumpy Old Frog

Post by asm_fanz »

Indeed :mrgreen:

Hotstepper
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Reasonable

Post by Hotstepper »

Sako at 5mmmmm...

Stemania
FISO Jedi Knight
Location: On the Iron Throne of xG, the seat of The Crown Prince of the Stat Perverts. Or if not, in the STC!
FS Record: Best: TFF 321st. FPL 129th. FFS Career HoF Peak 2nd (Live 1st). Ability since lost.

Post by Stemania »

Yep, two games in a row Sako has started in the front three. RLC looks done to me, but from his ashes another emerges; 5m is a bit of an awkward price though, perhaps could be an ideal rotator in a 433/343 hybrid (if he keeps his place)?

It's the defence I'm also interested in - would love a 4.5m starter to emerge - and whichever of PVA and Schlupp gets the LWB role looks worth watching. :D

fred1266
Dumbledore
FS Record: EFCL Fantasy League & Jurassic League Winner 11/12, EFCL Fantasy League Winner 13/14. EFCL, FISO 5AS The Kangals, Jurassic League, 3DM PRINTERS TT & Trini Gunners Winner 14/15

Post by fred1266 »

Stemania wrote:Yep, two games in a row Sako has started in the front three. RLC looks done to me, but from his ashes another emerges; 5m is a bit of an awkward price though, perhaps could be an ideal rotator in a 433/343 hybrid (if he keeps his place)?

It's the defence I'm also interested in - would love a 4.5m starter to emerge - and whichever of PVA and Schlupp gets the LWB role looks worth watching. :D
his goal today was a bit lucky to be far how did he do in there first friendly

Matty B
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Matty B »

have Scott dann .... am i right in assuming he still starts ... always a goal threat and think they will be tight at back?

Mav3rick
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FPL: 1082, 1201, 1800, 10203

The stats are dark and full of errors.

Post by Mav3rick »

They didn't look tight at all today :lol: but I'm sure they will be better come season start. Phillips in particular got in quite a bit down the Palace right.

bigcliff2
Dumbledore
FS Record: Rubbish

Post by bigcliff2 »

Surely they'll look to sign someone to replace Sako? Have they even signed anyone since De Boer came in?

Tusk
Kevin and Perry
FS Record: Winner of FISO Mini-League 17/18 (OR: 35).

Post by Tusk »

Their own suppporters don't seem to rate him very highly: https://www.holmesdale.net/page.php?id=106&tid=167466

"Overweight", "decent squad player", etc.

Isn't RLC or Tom Carroll much better options even if he's in an advanced position?

KingMaalik
Wideboy

Post by KingMaalik »

I guess Schlupp and PVA will share gametime...

is Delaney nailed ??...

Ruth_NZ
Grumpy Old Gorilla

Post by Ruth_NZ »

KingMaalik wrote:I guess Schlupp and PVA will share gametime...

Well, it's guesswork right now but I wouldn't be surprised if Schlupp is preferred. PvA has a fairly poor reputation in Holland based on a quite abysmal loan at Vitesse a couple of seasons ago where he started well enough but eventually lost his place after a string of errors and poor performances. He's generally seen there as a defensive liability despite being good going forward and that was Chelsea's view as well, that's why they sold him so cheaply.

Wingback is, if anything, harder to play than fullback, especially on the defensive side of the game. Apart from needing athleticism (which PvA does have) it also needs good positional sense, otherwise the defence gets very exposed in wide positions. I don't think PvA has that positional sense and I suspect (but don't know) that RdB makes a similar assessment.

Schlupp, on the other hand, may be less silky going forward (though still useful) but is much less likely to make catastrophic defensive errors.
Last edited by Ruth_NZ on 24 Jul 2017, 18:57, edited 1 time in total.

Arhaych
FISOhead
FS Record: Voted "Most Suave Fantasy Manager" - 2012/2013

Post by Arhaych »

Ruth_NZ wrote: 24 Jul 2017, 15:45

Well, it's guesswork right now but I wouldn't be surprised if Schlupp is preferred. PvA has a fairly poor reputation in Holland based on a fairly abysmal loan at Vitesse a couple of seasons ago where he started well enough but eventually lost his place after a string of errors and poor performances. He's generally seen as a defensive liability despite being good going forward and that was Chelsea's view as well, that's why they sold him so cheaply.

Wingback is, if anything, harder to play than fullback, especially on the defensive side of the game. Apart from needing athleticism (which PvA does have) it also needs good positional sense, otherwise the defence gets very exposed in wide positions. I don't think PvA has that positional sense and I suspect (but don't know) that RdB makes a similar assessment.

Schlupp, on the other hand, may be less silky going forward (though still useful) but is much less likely to make catastrophic defensive errors.
Interesting.

I'd rather have Schlupp than Cedric if both were nailed.

Kuchi
FISOhead
FS Record: Best: 16/17- 481

Post by Kuchi »

Schlupp could prove very very interesting if he gets that place. Sako not sure I can justify but Zaha if he keeps that position could be amazing for 7 mil.

carver
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Top 50k last 4 seasons . Mr Consistent

Post by carver »

Milivojevic is a DM but on pens and scored free kick last game 5.0m

cesc408
Grumpy Old Man

Post by cesc408 »

I'm really tempted to make sure I go with Zaha

TheBigLewandowski
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: OR 1,259 2016/17

Post by TheBigLewandowski »

cesc408 wrote: 25 Jul 2017, 17:07 I'm really tempted to make sure I go with Zaha
+1

Also will be keeping a close eye on Benteke to see how he performs.

Lucky
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Lucky »

Riedewald signing - whose position in defence should be under threat? De Boer knows him very well from Ajax - so I expect him to get into the team

Jason Bourne
Red & Blue Braces

Post by Jason Bourne »

Ruth_NZ wrote: 24 Jul 2017, 15:45

Wingback is most certainly not harder to play than fullback. Wingbacks get additional cover from an extra centerback, and defensive mistakes in wider areas are much more forgiving than those in a tucked in fullback position. The biggest challenge facing wingbacks is the fitness demands of getting up and down the pitch.

Ruth_NZ
Grumpy Old Gorilla

Post by Ruth_NZ »

I beg to disagree. But rather make some crass kind of investigation about who watches the most live football or understands the game better let's leave it at that.

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

Assuming we're taking 'wingback' to be the role in a 3 or 5 at the back system;

I'm with Bourne. By it's nature, the wingback role has less defensive responsibilities. You're not an out and out defender, nor attacker. You 'just' help with both functions without having to be a master of both.

The whole system is built to cater for this.

A case in point is Victor Moses. Played his whole career as an attacking midfielder (relatively mediocre one at that). With zero transition, he becomes a wing back for the eventual league champions?

That's not to say it's not a discipline in its own right but I don't think it's 'harder than a traditional full back'.

Another way to consider it, a top class full back provides the wingback facility without the formation/midfielder sacrifice... gary neville, Ashley cole, Evra, Lahm types.

In more modern times, someone like Kyle Walker or Danny Rose.

Ruth_NZ
Grumpy Old Gorilla

Post by Ruth_NZ »

Chelsea's achilles heel last season was the wide cross to the far post. Especially from Alonso's side to Moses/Azpi's side where Chelsea lacked height.

A wingback has to handle a winger 1-1. When playing a back 4 they usually have a midfielder helping. When it's a back 3 either a CM has to get across (not always easy) or a CB has to come out (which drags the back 3 across and makes the far post even more vulnerable). Mourinho as good as explained this when he said that the way to trouble a 3-4-3 was to play with 2 advanced wide players. That's where the holes are.

What makes wingback so difficult is that they are usually the main sources of attacking width too. They are more required in advanced positions than fullbacks are. So they are doubly easy to expose - first because they must get forward (otherwise it's actually a 5-2-3 or 5-4-1) and second because they have less cover as already mentioned. For that reason they must have both athleticism (tick for PvA) and positional astuteness and concentration (cross for PvA).

That's why I'd say wingback is harder to play anyway.

Skrtel
Treebeard

Post by Skrtel »

Whoever gets that LM spot (van Aanholt, Schlupp) actually is quite interesting. CP is chasing Mamadou Sakho and if they can get him, the defence looks really good. Also Benteke is a very nice target to aim crosses at. Pva's goal record makes him even more interesting, if he will play. 5.5 is a lot but he could really contribute from that LM position.

Gambit
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Gambit »

team from today:

Hennessey, Milivojevic, Dann, Riedewald, Townsend, PVA, Puncheon, Loftus-Cheek, Zaha, Lokilo, Benteke

finished 1-1, Zaha goal, Benteke had two headers against the woodwork. PVA as the left wing back! (Schlupp on as a sub) still not clear who will have the role, be shocked if he changed it on a weekly basis.

Baerardi
Treebeard

Post by Baerardi »

Milivojevic seemingly is being played as a defender under FDB then?

Gambit
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Gambit »

think he's played at the back in the last two games? scored a cracking free kick the other week mind.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Fantasy PremierLeague.com (FPL)”