To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Trippier and Spurs fullbacks

A Fantasy Football forum for news on fantasy football games run by the Premierleague (FPL).
Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Trippier and Spurs fullbacks

Post by Zimmerman »

Like most... I'm fancying Trippier for most games i play this season.

Fuelled by that and this post in the Top 5 defender thread... it got me looking

Beerfuelledman wrote:1 - Alonso. Best (points scoring) def in the game
2 - Azpi. 2nd Best (points scoring) def in the game
3 - Cedric. 5m, Good defensive unit, good fixtures.
4 - Milner IF he keeps his place in the team. Notice I say team, not at LB.
5 - Trippier. Better points potental than Walker. BUT Poch likes to rotate WBs to keep them fresh.

Up until 19th March… when Walker went off in the 77th minute (was it an injury... he didn't play in either of the England internationals and Spurs didn't play again until first of April). Spurs played 42 games; Walker started 32 of them (including 6 on the spin, 4 on the spin, 7 on the spin).

The 10 games he missed: 2 league cup, 3 CL, 4 FA Cup and just 1 league game (which was the new years day game (which of course came in the midst of 6 games in 23 days - and Walker started them all)).

So this poses two questions; Does Poch like to rotate? Does Poch even rate Trippier?

The interesting counter argument, is that Trippier was selected for the FA Cup semi versus Chelsea and the league games against Arsenal and United.
But yes, in those 11 games between 01/04 and season end Trippier started 6 and Walker 4 (neither started v Leicester) and they did indeed alternate.

LB is less clear.
Its arguable the injuries forced/restricted Pochs hand?
Was Rose injured earlier in the season too? He only started 2 games between 27th August and 19th November.

From the 19th November until 31st Jan.
Spurs had 16 games and Rose started 13 of them (he missed 2 FA Cup games and just 1 league game).
So again, its suggesting Poch perhaps isn't a massive rotation fan?
Davies started all 20 of the games from 4th Feb to season end.... they had played 5 games earlier in the season with neither Davies nor Rose, so not as if Poch couldn't have tried something different if he needed to give Davies a rest?

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Re: Trippier and Spurs fullbacks

Post by Zimmerman »

anybody know how to share pictures nowadays?

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

It seemed more obvious the season before to me, while last season it was more injury\discipline based - Walker was dropped following his "I want to leave" stuff hitting the papers?

Vid
Head Moderator
FS Record: winning is a distant memory

Post by Vid »

Use the Embed coed from your source page

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

blahblah wrote:It seemed more obvious the season before to me, while last season it was more injury\discipline based - Walker was dropped following his "I want to leave" stuff hitting the papers?
15/16 season - Trippier - 18 starts (13 in the cups)

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

Zimmerman wrote:
blahblah wrote:It seemed more obvious the season before to me, while last season it was more injury\discipline based - Walker was dropped following his "I want to leave" stuff hitting the papers?
15/16 season - Trippier - 18 starts (13 in the cups)
As I posted "seemed" :wink: but still overegged....

The real issue with Spurs is playing at Wembley.

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

...and they failed in their bid to get the pitch size reduced.

Interesting, because you'd have assumed a tighter pitch (a la WHL) would have been more restrictive to a good team
Certainly see Liverpool find it harder to break teams down who come and sit back at Anfield.

Without doubt personnel is the biggest factor, but a tighter pitch must benefit the bus parking teams?
Im assuming that the CL experience last year will have helped them bed in to the new surroundings.

This season they'll be alright ;)
Only three home games before October though (Chelsea 20/08, Burnley 27/08 and Swansea 16/09)

in fact... if they do find it hard to settle at Wembley, it could well be a sticky start to the season:

13/08 Newcastle (a)
20/08 Chelsea (h)
27/08 Burnley (h)
09/09 Everton (a)
16/09 Swansea (h)
23/09 West Ham (a)
30/09 Huddersfield (a)
14/10 Bournemouth (h)
21/10 Liverpool (a)
28/10 United (a)

swadd1er
Dumbledore

Post by swadd1er »

Who are you guys replacing Trippier with if it's confirmed he's missing GW1?

Arhaych
FISOhead
FS Record: Voted "Most Suave Fantasy Manager" - 2012/2013

Post by Arhaych »

swadd1er wrote: 06 Aug 2017, 11:46 Who are you guys replacing Trippier with if it's confirmed he's missing GW1?
Can't figure out who will start at CB for Man Utd, so probably John Stones.

Man City look much better at the back now.

Ben Davies could be a decent replacement. Don't think Danny Rose will be back for a while yet.

Kohan79
Kevin and Perry
FS Record: Not sure

Post by Kohan79 »

Gutted that he got injured, both as a Spurs fan and a fantasy manager. Last season he had 5 assists in 533 minutes. Last night, prior to the injury, he showed why. By far the highest expected value for money player in the game this season, in my opinion. Playing for last year's second best team, as a clear first choice, and a crossing ability unmatched in the league.

Sigh.

Notned
FISO Knight

Post by Notned »

swadd1er wrote: 06 Aug 2017, 11:46 Who are you guys replacing Trippier with if it's confirmed he's missing GW1?
It could be a bit of a blessing in disguise for me in a way as I needed to free up funds somewhere anyway, so will be replacing with a 5m. Probably one of the Southampton lads.

I'm intrigued to see what price Kyle Walker-Peters gets added at though, if Trippier is out for any length of time and they don't sign anyone.

EDIT- scrap that. Poch has already confirmed Walker-Peters isn't ready and won't start vs Newcastle regardless.
Last edited by Notned on 06 Aug 2017, 12:15, edited 1 time in total.

MGPT
Treebeard

Post by MGPT »

While I don't wish injury on any player, I really hope Trippier is confirmed out to start the season.

I hate obvious no-brainer picks that make the game duller. Never a good thing for the more 'devoted' (aka complete losers like me) managers.

cesc408
Grumpy Old Man

Post by cesc408 »

Might go triple saints defence and prey for the best

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

cesc408 wrote: 06 Aug 2017, 12:28 Might go triple saints defence and prey for the best
I sense that praying may be a better option :wink:

Finisher1
Dumbledore

Post by Finisher1 »

MGPT wrote:While I don't wish injury on any player, I really hope Trippier is confirmed out to start the season.

I hate obvious no-brainer picks that make the game duller. Never a good thing for the more 'devoted' (aka complete losers like me) managers.
I don't think Trippier is (or was) a no-brainer at the start of the season. In a long term probably yes, but in GW1-4 he is likely to have CS only in GW3.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Agreed: the only benefit is people rejigging their Squads, only to find out on Friday morning that he is fine....

Brad
Treebeard

Post by Brad »

Kohan79 wrote: 06 Aug 2017, 12:05 Gutted that he got injured, both as a Spurs fan and a fantasy manager. Last season he had 5 assists in 533 minutes. Last night, prior to the injury, he showed why. By far the highest expected value for money player in the game this season, in my opinion. Playing for last year's second best team, as a clear first choice, and a crossing ability unmatched in the league.

Sigh.
"a crossing ability unmatched in the league."

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football ... routledge/
https://www.sportskeeda.com/football/st ... ier-league

thekitkatshuffler
Grumpy Old Man

Post by thekitkatshuffler »

What's going on with Charlie Daniels?

swadd1er
Dumbledore

Post by swadd1er »

Removed Trippier and Milner, 12m to spend.

Edit: Firmino in for Hernandez. (Uncertainty over Austin, Gayle and Abraham so staying clear of those)
Stones in and a 4.5m which I haven't chose yet.

Happier with that.

Kohan79
Kevin and Perry
FS Record: Not sure

Post by Kohan79 »

Brad wrote: 06 Aug 2017, 16:43
Kohan79 wrote: 06 Aug 2017, 12:05 Gutted that he got injured, both as a Spurs fan and a fantasy manager. Last season he had 5 assists in 533 minutes. Last night, prior to the injury, he showed why. By far the highest expected value for money player in the game this season, in my opinion. Playing for last year's second best team, as a clear first choice, and a crossing ability unmatched in the league.

Sigh.
"a crossing ability unmatched in the league."

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football ... routledge/
https://www.sportskeeda.com/football/st ... ier-league
Obviously there is completing a cross and then there is completing a cross that sets a team mate up for scoring. Valencia top the list in you first link and had 1 assist. Trippier had 5 assists in 1/3 the playing time that Valencia had in that list.

Check out Spurs' first goal against Juve and you can see what Trippier does. He doesn't just find a team mate.

Notned
FISO Knight

Post by Notned »

Trippier is one of the best crossers of a ball in the league for me, and I'm not just limiting that to defenders either.

The worry now in terms of FPL is that he misses a few weeks which forces them into the market, and rotation is rife between him and any new boy.

huwdo
FISOhead

Post by huwdo »

Walker-Peters in at £4.5m... Tempting... if it weren't for the Pochettino quote...

Beerfuelledman
FISO Knight
FS Record: FISO 17/18 FPL Cash Draft League Winner

Post by Beerfuelledman »

Pochettino is more likely to play Sissoko at RB/RWB in the first game (At least if no replacement is signed).
Kyles-Peters Walkers-Peters may get on for some 'experience' late in the game.

Hotstepper
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Reasonable

Post by Hotstepper »

huwdo wrote: 08 Aug 2017, 20:00 Walker-Peters in at £4.5m... Tempting... if it weren't for the Pochettino quote...
Hopefully tempting enough that some of the less well informed think they have found a hidden treasure

TOPCATDUSS
Treebeard

Post by TOPCATDUSS »

Knowing my luck, after feeling smug at leaving him out, Dier would pull his groin in the warm up, Walker-Peters would start and score a hatrick

Hotstepper
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Reasonable

Post by Hotstepper »

So... Tripper out probably pushes Spurs into a back 4, with Dier across to RB. Ald & Vert in centre, with Davies at LB. Dier and Ald could swap RB/CB slots.

Son being out, no Lamela, opens up an attacking mid slot. Spurs don't have 3 man midfield option with Dier being used on defence. Who does this bring in, Sissoko or maybe Harry Winks? Winks only 5m, Poch likes him, sure Ive seen. Poch talking up Winks' prospects this season. Could be worth watching out for if Son and Trippier out for a spell

bigcliff2
Dumbledore
FS Record: Rubbish

Post by bigcliff2 »

No talk about the Danny Rose situation and the potential increased viability of Davies long term?

Arhaych
FISOhead
FS Record: Voted "Most Suave Fantasy Manager" - 2012/2013

Post by Arhaych »

bigcliff2 wrote: 10 Aug 2017, 09:11 No talk about the Danny Rose situation and the potential increased viability of Davies long term?
It was a bit of a weird interview to give to a tabloid, wasn't it?

Don't imagine it will endear him to Pochettino.

bigcliff2
Dumbledore
FS Record: Rubbish

Post by bigcliff2 »

Arhaych wrote: 10 Aug 2017, 09:16
bigcliff2 wrote: 10 Aug 2017, 09:11 No talk about the Danny Rose situation and the potential increased viability of Davies long term?
It was a bit of a weird interview to give to a tabloid, wasn't it?

Don't imagine it will endear him to Pochettino.
That could be the end of him at Spurs really

Beerfuelledman
FISO Knight
FS Record: FISO 17/18 FPL Cash Draft League Winner

Post by Beerfuelledman »

Im not so sure. I think he could have another 4 glorious years playing for the reserves.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Fantasy PremierLeague.com (FPL)”