To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Rank your top 5 defender selections and tell us why

A Fantasy Football forum for news on fantasy football games run by the Premierleague (FPL).
Stemania
FISO Jedi Knight
Location: On the Iron Throne of xG, the seat of The Crown Prince of the Stat Perverts. Or if not, in the STC!
FS Record: Best: TFF 321st. FPL 129th. FFS Career HoF Peak 2nd (Live 1st). Ability since lost.

Re: Rank your top 5 defender selections and tell us why

Post by Stemania »

asm_fanz wrote:FPL Wizard hasn't been updated yet as far as I know
I am also waiting on this!

asm_fanz
Grumpy Old Frog

Post by asm_fanz »

Hopefuly it'll be updated for the new season, been using it for few years and it's great!
dino1980 wrote: Peter Blake has written an article on that very subject: https://mathematicallysafe.wordpress.co ... -rotation/
Cheers, I've seen this one, unfortunately it focuses on a rotation of 1-from3 rather than 2-from-3.
Interesting article for those interested in that type of rotation though

dino1980
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: FPL Best, 1,000th 2014-15.

Post by dino1980 »

Oops. Apologies.

asm_fanz
Grumpy Old Frog

Post by asm_fanz »

None needed, thank you for sharing it :)

rootcoors
FISOhead
FS Record: 21997

Post by rootcoors »

1. Cedric - Bargain at 5.0 especially with the opening fixtures. Very surprised to not see him and Bertrand priced the same!
2. Tripper - No brainer now that Walker has left. Finished the season very well and fully expect that to continue. 5.5 could be great value for the potential returns.
3. Lindelof - I wanted Man Utd cover at the back because of the fixtures at the start of the season, would go for De Gea and a WBA defender, but makes more sense to go for Foster in goal and save the 0.5.
4. Dummett - I like Newcastle's opening fixture (excluding GW1) and can't see value in any other teams 4.5m defenders at the moment - Could change to alternative Newcastle though.
5. Rangel - For no other reason than to fill the 4.0 spot.

I nearly always play with either a 343 or 352 formation, so using defender 4 would mostly happen if an automatic substitution. The whole of last season my defender 5 only got used once and that was when I played the bench boost. If I found myself playing 4 at the back I would be happy playing the first 4 in the list.

Hotstepper
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Reasonable

Post by Hotstepper »

Trippier... Is it not very possible Poch spends on another RB to share some playing time with Trippier? We haven't seen Trippier as anything other than as part of a rotation so far.

Yes seems a steal at 5.5 but I'll be waiting to see who spurs sign.

As for my team, currently have a spot for PVA. Waiting to see DeBoer's preferred selection, but if PVA gets a left mid berth in a 3-4-3, with Palace's opening fixtures, could be good

Stemania
FISO Jedi Knight
Location: On the Iron Throne of xG, the seat of The Crown Prince of the Stat Perverts. Or if not, in the STC!
FS Record: Best: TFF 321st. FPL 129th. FFS Career HoF Peak 2nd (Live 1st). Ability since lost.

Post by Stemania »

Hotstepper wrote:Trippier... Is it not very possible Poch spends on another RB to share some playing time with Trippier? We haven't seen Trippier as anything other than as part of a rotation so far.
They've been heavily linked with Ricardo Pereira, so yep, it's very possible Trippier could soon be out of all the drafts as quickly as he went in. :mrgreen:

Billy Bongo
FISO Knight

Post by Billy Bongo »

No way will Periera be a starter, he'll be back up

Sent from mobile

Pulpy
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Pulpy »

Ruth_NZ wrote:
Vsz wrote:I think Mooy on pens rather than Lowe buddy.
I think not buddy. :)
Lowe took the last one last season. Kachunga took one in the pre season friendly against Bury but Lowe had been substituted at this point.

I had Lowe in my first draught but took him out after reading Malone may be a threat to his position. One to keep an eye on through pre season as if I'm confident he starts I may still go with Lowe.

Maybe we need a thread on penalty takers (maybe set pieces as a whole) as I had a look at the FFS list the other day and there appeared to be a few debatable ones.

acruxen
Treebeard
FS Record: FPL 14/15: 1078

Post by acruxen »

bigcliff2 wrote:I've said this elsewhere but I'll just say it again here - Robertson isn't going to be ousting Milner from Liverpool's first XI. He'll be back up/rotation. Milner is one of Klopp's favourites. He basically converted him into that position to find a space for him and he was captain for large parts of last season with Henderson out.
Yes exactly, Milner is a rotation risk. I don't want a 6.5m defender that isn't nailed on

From4corners
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by From4corners »

acruxen wrote:
bigcliff2 wrote:I've said this elsewhere but I'll just say it again here - Robertson isn't going to be ousting Milner from Liverpool's first XI. He'll be back up/rotation. Milner is one of Klopp's favourites. He basically converted him into that position to find a space for him and he was captain for large parts of last season with Henderson out.
Yes exactly, Milner is a rotation risk. I don't want a 6.5m defender that isn't nailed on
How does "Yes exactly" and your post reflect accurately on what you have quoted? :?

In that sense, everyone is a rotation risk..

Resonare
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Resonare »

1. Kieran Trippier - Walker is said to have been the best RB in the league and Trippier was arguably better. High chance of being the highest scoring defender come May imo.
2. Daley Blind - Set pieces, good crosser with Lukaku as striker, bonus magnet. Can't see Darmian or Shaw starting ahead of him.
3. Cedric Soares - High attacking underlining stats, likely to get 10+ CSs given the new manager's style.
4. Craig Dawson - Similar to above. Unlike McAuley, he actually has the underlining stats to back up him up.
5. Andrew Robertson - Better end product than Clyne and cheaper. If Van Djik does come in then he is a steal at 5.0.

acruxen
Treebeard
FS Record: FPL 14/15: 1078

Post by acruxen »

[quote="From4corners"][quote="acruxen"][quote="bigcliff2"]I've said this elsewhere but I'll just say it again here - Robertson isn't going to be ousting Milner from Liverpool's first XI. He'll be back up/rotation. Milner is one of Klopp's favourites. He basically converted him into that position to find a space for him and he was captain for large parts of last season with Henderson out.[/quote]

Yes exactly, Milner is a rotation risk. I don't want a 6.5m defender that isn't nailed on[/quote]

How does "Yes exactly" and your post reflect accurately on what you have quoted? :?

In that sense, everyone is a rotation risk..[/quote]

The "Robertson will be rotation" part. To me at least Milner is less nailed on compared to players like: Trippier, Bertrand, Azpilicueta, Bellerin etc. This is not something I want for a 6.5m defender. Unless I am wrong all those players have no understudy or their understudy would never feature in a game.

gallus
Grumpy Old Man

Post by gallus »

acruxen wrote:
From4corners wrote:
acruxen wrote:

In that sense, everyone is a rotation risk..
The "Robertson will be rotation" part. To me at least Milner is less nailed on compared to players like: Trippier, Bertrand, Azpilicueta, Bellerin etc. This is not something I want for a 6.5m defender. Unless I am wrong all those players have no understudy or their understudy would never feature in a game.
Azpi and Bellerin have competition for their place in the team. Trippier wasn't a regular starter last season, a new RB signing is likely. The only premium defenders I consider to be 100% nailed on are Alderweireld and Vertonghen.

Baerardi
Treebeard

Post by Baerardi »

Bellerin is definitely not more nailed on than Milner.

Skrtel
Treebeard

Post by Skrtel »

Resonare wrote:1. Kieran Trippier - Walker is said to have been the best RB in the league and Trippier was arguably better. High chance of being the highest scoring defender come May imo.
2. Daley Blind - Set pieces, good crosser with Lukaku as striker, bonus magnet. Can't see Darmian or Shaw starting ahead of him.
3. Cedric Soares - High attacking underlining stats, likely to get 10+ CSs given the new manager's style.
4. Craig Dawson - Similar to above. Unlike McAuley, he actually has the underlining stats to back up him up.
5. Andrew Robertson - Better end product than Clyne and cheaper. If Van Djik does come in then he is a steal at 5.0.
Neither can I see either of them start ahead of Blind. Might be interesting if he's a certain starter. Good way to spent 1.0 somewhere else instead of Valencia!

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

He only stared about 50-55% of Uniteds games last season despite not being injured.

Equally telling is that he started 10 Europa games.

I'm not sure Blind is a wise pick, not sure Jose trusts him.

Mav3rick
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FPL: 1082, 1201, 1800, 10203

The stats are dark and full of errors.

Post by Mav3rick »

I think value is the most important commodity in the defensive players so it features heavily in my list.

1. Trippier - Obviously dependent on if they buy a replacement for Walker, but 5.5 in a good defence and with proven personal assist record. I don't expect Alonso type points, but for 5.5 I think he's the best all round package.
2. PVA/Schlupp - Depends which one of them get's the wingback spot in Palace's 343 but it's Alonso's position for possible 2.0 less. I'd expect similar attacking returns (since both PVA and Schlupp are decent goalscorers (for defensive-ish players) and I feel that Zaha is going to cause some panic in defences on that side. I'd prefer PVA to get the nod, but either will earn a spot in my side.
3. Cedric - This is more of a 5.0 slot that begins with Cedric, which I think it's worth having open in either a back 3 or 4. Cedric to start the year, but any of Mawson, Maguire, Dawson, Ake could come in at any time. This spot could potentially be occupied by Schlupp instead if he wins the battle above.
4. A 4.5 defender rotation - I think with the expected improvement in defence from sides like Watford, with Martina available at Everton and with potentially penalty taking defenders (Lowe) or possible set-piece ones from a Chris Hughton side (Suttner) then there's plenty of value to be had here. Either 2 or 3 rotating depending on formation looks useful to me.
5. Alonso. This was a really hard decision between him, Valencia and Milner. I want clean sheets at a minimum but Milner's pen duty does make up for the lack of them at Liverpool. Ultimately, I think Alonso probably edges out the others on goal threat, although Milner's pens take it very close (it mostly depends on how many pens you think Liverpool are likely to get, which is a bit of a finger in the air guess). His stats last year were brilliant with only PVA getting close, and he can at least be downgraded to any 6.5 that's performing well. The early fixtures, Burnley apart, are against him though.

Coleman would have deserved a mention if not injured and if Bellerin looks to have nailed down a spot he could edge Alonso out on value terms (although I don't think he's as likely to score many goals he's 1.0 cheaper). The same would be true of Azpilcueta if he did happen to take the RWB berth, although with only a 0.5 saving on Alonso it would be a closer call.

Vcize
FS Record: 0

Post by Vcize »

How does Mendy slot in here now that he's officially moved to Man City?

Billy Bongo
FISO Knight

Post by Billy Bongo »

I need to mention Alexander Arnold, highly regarded at Anfield and there are rumours Klopp would sell Clyne of an offer came in.

And Clyne is injured

Sent from mobile

Hotstepper
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Reasonable

Post by Hotstepper »

Could Milner play RB to cover for Clyne's injury, with Robertson taking LB?

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

Absolutely... could well 'cover' Clyne if he's fit even!

Billy Bongo
FISO Knight

Post by Billy Bongo »

No way will Klopp play Milner ahead of Alexander Arnold at rb

Sent from mobile

Gambit
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Gambit »

Mav3rick wrote:I think value is the most important commodity in the defensive players so it features heavily in my list.

1. Trippier - Obviously dependent on if they buy a replacement for Walker, but 5.5 in a good defence and with proven personal assist record. I don't expect Alonso type points, but for 5.5 I think he's the best all round package.
2. PVA/Schlupp - Depends which one of them get's the wingback spot in Palace's 343 but it's Alonso's position for possible 2.0 less. I'd expect similar attacking returns (since both PVA and Schlupp are decent goalscorers (for defensive-ish players) and I feel that Zaha is going to cause some panic in defences on that side. I'd prefer PVA to get the nod, but either will earn a spot in my side.
3. Cedric - This is more of a 5.0 slot that begins with Cedric, which I think it's worth having open in either a back 3 or 4. Cedric to start the year, but any of Mawson, Maguire, Dawson, Ake could come in at any time. This spot could potentially be occupied by Schlupp instead if he wins the battle above.
4. A 4.5 defender rotation - I think with the expected improvement in defence from sides like Watford, with Martina available at Everton and with potentially penalty taking defenders (Lowe) or possible set-piece ones from a Chris Hughton side (Suttner) then there's plenty of value to be had here. Either 2 or 3 rotating depending on formation looks useful to me.
5. Alonso. This was a really hard decision between him, Valencia and Milner. I want clean sheets at a minimum but Milner's pen duty does make up for the lack of them at Liverpool. Ultimately, I think Alonso probably edges out the others on goal threat, although Milner's pens take it very close (it mostly depends on how many pens you think Liverpool are likely to get, which is a bit of a finger in the air guess). His stats last year were brilliant with only PVA getting close, and he can at least be downgraded to any 6.5 that's performing well. The early fixtures, Burnley apart, are against him though.

Coleman would have deserved a mention if not injured and if Bellerin looks to have nailed down a spot he could edge Alonso out on value terms (although I don't think he's as likely to score many goals he's 1.0 cheaper). The same would be true of Azpilcueta if he did happen to take the RWB berth, although with only a 0.5 saving on Alonso it would be a closer call.
Nice write up Maverick.

I've had PVA in my team since the start - although he will swap for Schlupp depending on who wins the battle. I think the Palace left wing back position is being overlooked, really low ownership and FDB has confirmed he will be playing the wingback system, both are great going forward and with Zaha ahead of them the left side for Palace will carry a real threat.

The only area where I differ from you is Trippier v United defender, I want trippier in my team and I agree with your comments, but I also think United (along with Chelsea) will get the most clean sheets this year. I think the Wembley factor will cost Spurs clean sheets and I also worry that at the moment their non existent transfer activity combined with the rigours of CL football AND Wembley home games leaves their squad looking a little light.

I want Alonso, I want Cedric, and I want the Palace left wing back, so unless I up my spend in defence and remove the 4.5 option it's Trippier v United defender. Not sure which way I will go yet.

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

Billy Bongo wrote:No way will Klopp play Milner ahead of Alexander Arnold at rb

Sent from mobile
I'll have a gentlemans bet with you that we see Milner start some games at RB this season even when AA is for.

Billy Bongo
FISO Knight

Post by Billy Bongo »

Easy money cheers

Sent from mobile

Skrtel
Treebeard

Post by Skrtel »

I think that Liverpool will start the season with Milner to the left and TAA to the right, if Clyne is injured.

Billy Bongo
FISO Knight

Post by Billy Bongo »

So do I but it's Milner owners in FL getting carried away thinking Milner will start instead of Arnold

Sent from mobile

SFC_Fan
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: FPL: 1276, 1804, 2924, 9139, 18292, 22,120.

Post by SFC_Fan »

Alonso - nailed on, attacking and loads of CS potential

Milner - hopefully still first choice, potential to be an OOP defender on pens.

Cedric - super attacking player who suits the managers style. Also a bargain at 5.0

Bellerin - one of my favourite players in the league. Super attacking just need Arsenal to keep more CS than last year to be worthwhile

Mendy - curve ball as he hasn't actually signed yet but he is a very attacking strong wing back. 11 assists last season

Payet
Treebeard
FS Record: 2016/2017: 8.879

Post by Payet »

Cedric
Bertrand
Valencia
Zabaleta
Rangel (4.0 defender that won't play)

This is mostly because this season I will play 3-4-3 or 4-3-3 based on fixtures. Defenders are all side backs, and this selection is based on fixtures and attacking potential they have. Maybe the problem would be doubled defence from Southampton, but I can't see any other team with better fixtures at the start of the season. I'll gamble with that.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Fantasy PremierLeague.com (FPL)”