To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

The Rounded Keeper - FPL Pub Talk & Matchday Banter 2017-18

A Fantasy Football forum for news on fantasy football games run by the Premierleague (FPL).
Ruth_NZ
Grumpy Old Gorilla

Re: The Rounded Keeper - FPL Pub Talk & Matchday Banter 2017-18

Post by Ruth_NZ »

No Way Jose wrote: TBF I mean that footage and his movement looks quite similar to what we have seen from Morata recently.

That's what I am trying to tell you. Chalk and cheese. You can't really go on one clip. Morata is nothing, repeat nothing like Sutton was. :lol:

No Way Jose
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Fluked first season

Post by No Way Jose »

Ruth_NZ wrote: 18 Jan 2018, 21:18
No Way Jose wrote: TBF I mean that footage and his movement looks quite similar to what we have seen from Morata recently.

That's what I am trying to tell you. Chalk and cheese. You can't really go on one clip. Morata is nothing, repeat nothing like Sutton was. :lol:
That's not what we are saying though...

Ruth_NZ
Grumpy Old Gorilla

Post by Ruth_NZ »

No Way Jose wrote:
Pirlo's Beard wrote: His recent performances have been Chris Suttonesque.
That's a fair shout that.

This is what I am telling you is wrong. :roll:

But look, never mind. Chris Sutton @ Chelsea means something to me. I doubt it means all that much to anyone else.

Gambit
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Gambit »

Crouch is the latest beanpole to be linked with Chelsea :shock: :lol:

I know Morata is looking as nervous as a sh1tting dog, but is big Peter the answer?!

TheBigLewandowski
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: OR 1,259 2016/17

Post by TheBigLewandowski »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

No Way Jose
Grumpy Old Man

Post by No Way Jose »

Ruth_NZ wrote: 18 Jan 2018, 21:42
No Way Jose wrote:
Pirlo's Beard wrote: His recent performances have been Chris Suttonesque.
That's a fair shout that.

This is what I am telling you is wrong. :roll:

But look, never mind. Chris Sutton @ Chelsea means something to me. I doubt it means all that much to anyone else.
"His recent performances" and "esque" are the keys though. His recent efforts are very reminiscent of that clip no matter how many condescending eye rolls you add (which I have no idea why you feel the need to use? Insecurity perhaps)

After that, if you read the whole post, it was a very fair and mostly positive appraisal of a player in a bad moment who others are far harsher with.

Moving on...

Ruth_NZ
Grumpy Old Gorilla

Post by Ruth_NZ »

Condescending eye rolls? Your emoji recognition is more subtle than mine obviously. It was meant to convey that we were going round in circles.

Maybe I'd have been better to say nothing but seeing as I watched both players in the flesh numerous times for Chelsea (including week upon week of willing Sutton to get a goal, any goal, just to break his nightmare) then I thought I might mention that they are nothing alike and it's a terrible comparison. But then only someone who has been going to Chelsea for more than 20 years would know that and probably no-one else would care anyway. :?

No Way Jose
Grumpy Old Man

Post by No Way Jose »

Ruth_NZ wrote: 18 Jan 2018, 22:23 Condescending eye rolls? Your emoji recognition is more subtle than mine obviously. It was meant to convey that we were going round in circles.

Maybe I'd have been better to say nothing but seeing as I watched both players in the flesh numerous times for Chelsea (including week upon week of willing Sutton to get a goal, any goal, just to break his nightmare) then I thought I might mention that they are nothing alike and it's a terrible comparison. But then only someone who has been going to Chelsea for more than 20 years would know that and probably no-one else would care anyway. :?
Fair enough. I generally perceive an eye roll in this manner, and a laughing emoji at the end of a rebuttal in this way but if you say that's not your intention then I'll take your word for it. Perceiving tone online can be a fools errand so if that's me then I apologise

Won't say that I've many memories of watching Sutton as I was young and only really watched the weekly highlights show and united games so not qualified to comment on their overall similarities, but stand by the only comment I made which was that in that clip Sutton reminded me of moratas recent efforts, but that Morata is a player who I think has a high ceiling

Anyways, all good :roll: :wink:

Ruth_NZ
Grumpy Old Gorilla

Post by Ruth_NZ »

All good but maybe I can explain so it's properly clear.

Sutton was a big signing for Chelsea in the pre-Abramovich era. He scored a lot of goals at Blackburn before he came to Chelsea and he scored plenty at Celtic after he left. The problem at Chelsea was that Sutton thrived in a team playing direct football with lots of crosses to make use of his aerial power. Chelsea's style was nothing like that at all, we had been through the Hoddle reformation and Sutton had to play alongside the likes of Zola, Poyet, Desailly, Di Matteo in a passing team. It was a complete mismatch. Chelsea needed a mobile, clever striker to knit things together (as Vialli had done previously) and that wasn't Sutton's game at all.

His confidence was knocked, he had a terrible run and could hardly score a goal (I think he managed 1 PL goal all season) but in actual fact the fans were always on his side because he tried like hell. We could see that it was a mismatch of styles and Chelsea fans in that era were old school, the glory-hunters hadn't yet arrived. If you want a more recent comparison, think Benteke at Liverpool.

So... when someone says Chris Sutton/Chelsea that is my reference. I can literally remember game after game of willing him to score. I even had a mate that decided to back him to score every game and increase his bet every time so eventually he would win and he had to give up in the end because he couldn't afford it any more. :lol:

Morata is a completely different case. He has already scored 12 goals for Chelsea for a start but the main thing is that he certainly does suit Chelsea's style of play, there is no mismatch there. He's just having a dodgy run and adapting to being the main #9 at a top team for the first time. But when you watch him there's no sense that he'll struggle to ever score a goal for Chelsea. It's more the opposite - that you know he will come good soon enough.

That's the reason I commented that calling Morata's recent performances "Chris Suttonesque" isn't right. It's just a completely bad comparison. But, as I said before, only someone that watched Sutton week after week and knows what that was actually like would probably know or care really. Which is why I should maybe have let it pass in the first place. :?

No Way Jose
Grumpy Old Man

Post by No Way Jose »

Yeah understandable given your context. Probably more just a miscommunication anyway. And I do agree that he will come good. As I said in that initial post, his heading and movement are fantastic, he just needs to work on his hold up play with back to goal, composure when finishing with his feet, and to add to what I said, he needs to get more k's in his legs to make him more durable for a long season

Your poor mate! I use that strategy at times with FPL and sports betting. The skill is knowing when the law of averages (thinking a 1 in 2 striker hasn't scored so he's more likely to score this week etc) don't apply due to the context of what you're watching, subtleties involved in player form, team form, positioning, opponent match ups etc

That's part of why playing FPL has made watching teams other than united more interesting for me this season. Cheering liverpool goals at times has been strange though and now currently only having salah means I don't have to any more! Go swansea!

owenclass
Grumpy Old Man

Post by owenclass »

I think Morata maybe another Graziano Pelle. Always scores goals in the first three months of the season. Then does not score during the winter period as he is so used to having a winter break. And then when the weather starts to get warmer he then scores every week until the end of the season

jacksosi
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: TFF : 87th 06/07 ; FPL 1401st 08/09 ; 5AS champions 21/22 🔫🍸

Post by jacksosi »

Yes, he’s very Graziano Pelle’esque.

Image🤣

S_sutton87
Grumpy Old Man

Post by S_sutton87 »

jacksosi wrote:Yes, he’s very Graziano Pelle’esque.

Image🤣
Here we go again 🤣

Sent from my VFD 510 using Tapatalk

Ruth_NZ
Grumpy Old Gorilla

Post by Ruth_NZ »

jacksosi wrote: Yes, he’s very Graziano Pelle’esque.

Needs better bait than that. :lol:

Conte liked Pelle anyway. :wink:

Billy Bongo
FISO Knight

Post by Billy Bongo »

Picture taken 11am today in Burnley Image

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

MrBenn
Treebeard

Post by MrBenn »

Do you guys always go with a balanced side , or like me spend loads on forwards but have rubbish defenders ?

Stevieste
Dumbledore
FS Record: 24,360

Post by Stevieste »

MrBenn wrote: 20 Jan 2018, 11:02 Do you guys always go with a balanced side , or like me spend loads on forwards but have rubbish defenders ?
Think everyone is different on here to be fair.
I go for a balanced team personally where can get as many as top 4 teams in my starting 11.

But if you went top heavy this season with a burnley block defence you be laughing this season

Magic
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Improving

Post by Magic »

Caballero; Azpilicueta ©, Christensen, Rudiger; Moses, Bakayoko, Kante, Alonso; Willian, Batshuayi, Hazard. #BRICHE
Ryan, Dunk, Suttner, Duffy, Goldson, Stephens, Schelotto, Pröpper, March, Groß, Hemed

TheBigLewandowski
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: OR 1,259 2016/17

Post by TheBigLewandowski »

Christensen starts. Thank goodness for that!

Stemania
FISO Jedi Knight
Location: On the Iron Throne of xG, the seat of The Crown Prince of the Stat Perverts. Or if not, in the STC!
FS Record: Best: TFF 321st. FPL 129th. FFS Career HoF Peak 2nd (Live 1st). Ability since lost.

Post by Stemania »

Caballero is a blow to the prospects though. Come on Chelsea defence, no need at all to concede today! :P

Tall Paul
Dumbledore

Post by Tall Paul »

Billy Bongo wrote: 20 Jan 2018, 10:53 Picture taken 11am today in Burnley Image

Just driven over the Grane Road and it's coming down pretty thick.

Source (for Finisher): My own eyes.

Stevieste
Dumbledore
FS Record: 24,360

Post by Stevieste »

Nice to see Barkley on the bench today, he prob come on for Bats at half time and Hazard go upfront.

I like Barkley and hope he can have a good season for them and get himself back in the England set up.

Im still not even sure what he best position is, but maybe Conte can find that for him this season.

Billy Bongo
FISO Knight

Post by Billy Bongo »

Tall Paul wrote:
Billy Bongo wrote: 20 Jan 2018, 10:53 Picture taken 11am today in Burnley Image

Just driven over the Grane Road and it's coming down pretty thick.

Source (for Finisher): My own eyes.
Source, for Finisher, my brothers window in Rawtenstall

Aldershot Rejects
Dumbledore
FS Record: 5th Metro (2010-11); 146 - Sky (2015-16); 218 - Sky (2014-15); 386 - Sky (2020-21); 636 - FPL (2017-18); last 16 Sky Cup (2018-19)

Post by Aldershot Rejects »

Hazard (Bats or no assist)

swadd1er
Dumbledore

Post by swadd1er »

Well that didn’t take long..

snakzz
Grumpy Old Man

Post by snakzz »

And here I/we kept hazard for so long...

Aldershot Rejects
Dumbledore
FS Record: 5th Metro (2010-11); 146 - Sky (2015-16); 218 - Sky (2014-15); 386 - Sky (2020-21); 636 - FPL (2017-18); last 16 Sky Cup (2018-19)

Willian (Bats)

Aldershot Rejects
Dumbledore

2-0 in 6 minutes

swadd1er
Dumbledore

Post by swadd1er »

Cricket score inbound 2-0

Willian (Bats)

Stemania
FISO Jedi Knight
Location: On the Iron Throne of xG, the seat of The Crown Prince of the Stat Perverts. Or if not, in the STC!
FS Record: Best: TFF 321st. FPL 129th. FFS Career HoF Peak 2nd (Live 1st). Ability since lost.

Post by Stemania »

Fantastic goal that second one.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Fantasy PremierLeague.com (FPL)”