To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

5.5+ Defenders

A Fantasy Football forum for news on fantasy football games run by the Premierleague (FPL).
cesc408
Grumpy Old Man

5.5+ Defenders

Post by cesc408 »

Making this topic as plenty of talk that wingbacks may be worth having over say a 6.0 or 6.5 midfielder, possibly making a 4 defence formation quite popular this season.

So who are we thinking is deffo worth considering or is everybody starting with cheaper 4.5/5.0 defences? Plenty of choice for premiums...

Walker was outstanding last season, and has just moved to City. Possibly will be more of a RB this season then a RWB so whether he will be as effective in the final 3rd well who knows, quite possibly if Pep plays with playmaking midfielders who want to cut inside all the time, giving him freedom on the wing. 6.5 though is steep for a non goalscoring defender.

Milner at 6.5 is interesting. We all know he is on pens, some corners and likes to get crosses in, but pool were painful at times defensively last season, especially if you owned 1 of there defenders. 7 goals last season though isn't to be ignored lightly.

Chelsea defenders don't seem to be mentioned much this season. There WB's like Alonso (7.0) were key last season, Cahill (6.5) was decent from corners and points were easy to come by and cleansheets were reliable. Same again ?

UTD were pretty defensively sound at times last season and the opening fixtures look to be in their favour. Lindelof (5.5) seems to be the cheapest defender should he be selected alongside Bailly (6.0). LB still seems a mystery for now. Valencia (6.5) may be the best for returns but is he worth the price over others?

Like Chelsea Spurs had another decent defensive record last season, and there full backs spent more time attacking then defending. Trippier (5.5) looks to have the RB slot should nobody else sign.

Ain't going to bother mentioning others as will be here all evening.

Football Hero
Grumpy Old Man

Re: 5.5+ Defenders

Post by Football Hero »

Yeah, Trippier is looking like a good option.

I still like Alonso at 7.0 if Chelsea play the same as last season.

I'm not sure on Milner, Liverpool got 8 penalties last season which is quite high, so he will probably get less goals this season. I think he's a reasonable shout though.

Mav3rick
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FPL: 1082, 1201, 1800, 10203

The stats are dark and full of errors.

Post by Mav3rick »

Alonso + Trippier as D1 and D2 is pretty awesome looking defence on paper to start the year with. I think Alonso is worth it if he scores like he did last year, the question for me is more around his price and if and when other defenders can out value him (and defenders are really mostly about value for me).

Having said that though, he did only play 30 games last year (in the league) so he could actually play more minutes this season overall and possibly improve his tally which has to be factored in. An extra 1.5 on the cost of a 5.5 defender probably requires an additional 1ppg, which he may struggle to achieve on Trippier, but I think that might actually be possible over the others in that range if Chelsea can keep 15+ cleansheets. One player I did think he (Alonso) might struggle to out-value is Luke Shaw (5.0) if he can force his way back into that Utd team. Surely the Man Utd defenders will match Chelsea's clean sheet output too, which puts a lot of pressure on Alonso's attacking returns, although they are likely to be significant for a defender I'd think.

The concept of the midfielder vs the extra premium defender deserves it's own thread, but really if any of these wingback defenders turn out to be exceptionally good then they will probably be in most teams anyway regardless of formation, so it's really if 2 or 3 of them start looking great that the pressure to switch to a back 4/5 really takes hold.

fred1266
Dumbledore
FS Record: EFCL Fantasy League & Jurassic League Winner 11/12, EFCL Fantasy League Winner 13/14. EFCL, FISO 5AS The Kangals, Jurassic League, 3DM PRINTERS TT & Trini Gunners Winner 14/15

Post by fred1266 »

Football Hero wrote:Yeah, Trippier is looking like a good option.

I'm not sure on Milner, Liverpool got 8 penalties last season which is quite high, so he will probably get less goals this season. I think he's a reasonable shout though.
didn't chelseas sign Sandro?

Billy Bongo
FISO Knight

Re: RE: Re: 5.5+ Defenders

Post by Billy Bongo »

fred1266 wrote:

No

Sent from mobile

fred1266
Dumbledore
FS Record: EFCL Fantasy League & Jurassic League Winner 11/12, EFCL Fantasy League Winner 13/14. EFCL, FISO 5AS The Kangals, Jurassic League, 3DM PRINTERS TT & Trini Gunners Winner 14/15

Re: RE: Re: 5.5+ Defenders

Post by fred1266 »

Billy Bongo wrote:
fred1266 wrote:

No

Sent from mobile
or ok wonder were i heard that from

Billy Bongo
FISO Knight

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: 5.5+ Defenders

Post by Billy Bongo »

fred1266 wrote:
Billy Bongo wrote:
fred1266 wrote:

No

Sent from mobile
or ok wonder were i heard that from
They made a bid

Sent from mobile

dino1980
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: FPL Best, 1,000th 2014-15.

Post by dino1980 »

I currently have Trippier and Bertrand in the D1 and D2 slots as my premium, play every week defenders. I don't expect Bertrand to be that popular a pick as they've got CRD's at 5.0 (Forster, Cedric, Yoshida). I love Saints opening fixtures and think the extra spend of .5 for Bertand is worth it over Cedric and Yoshida. I've not yet looked deep enough to see if there's a better value 5.5 out there (Lindelof maybe?) but Bertrand's mix of attacking threat and great opening fixtures mean he's in my team for now.

Lucky
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Lucky »

dino1980 wrote:I currently have Trippier and Bertrand in the D1 and D2 slots as my premium, play every week defenders. I don't expect Bertrand to be that popular a pick as they've got CRD's at 5.0 (Forster, Cedric, Yoshida). I love Saints opening fixtures and think the extra spend of .5 for Bertand is worth it over Cedric and Yoshida. I've not yet looked deep enough to see if there's a better value 5.5 out there (Lindelof maybe?) but Bertrand's mix of attacking threat and great opening fixtures mean he's in my team for now.
I totally agree. Fixtures extremely attractive. I will watch them closely in pre-season ... might even consider two Saints defenders.

Mav3rick
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Mav3rick »

Does Bertrand add much (other than certainty) over Cedric? Was Cedric not a bit of a BP monster when cleansheets were on the cards?

Also, this on Twitter:
Jose also says Rojo, Young, Shaw and Zlatan won't be back until the end of the year.
https://twitter.com/sistoney67/status/8 ... 6734406656

Pirlo's Beard
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Pirlo's Beard »

Mav3rick wrote:Also, this on Twitter:
Jose also says Rojo, Young, Shaw and Zlatan won't be back until the end of the year.
Zlatan? I thought they released him? He's not even in the game! I guess maybe he's still training with them, but if Mourinho is talking about him coming "back" then it seems to indicate he's still a United player?

If both Rojo and Shaw are long-term absentees, does this make Blind a very attractive pick from that United defence? From my memory of last season, whenever he played left-back he took all the left-sided corners. With (I'm assuming) no immediate competition for his place he could be a better initial pick than Lindelöf?

Stemania
FISO Jedi Knight
Location: On the Iron Throne of xG, the seat of The Crown Prince of the Stat Perverts. Or if not, in the STC!
FS Record: Best: TFF 321st. FPL 129th. FFS Career HoF Peak 2nd (Live 1st). Ability since lost.

Post by Stemania »

There seems to be some disagreements in the twitter replies. For example someone wrote:

"He didn't say that. He said they'd be out for 'weeks or months'. He only said Zlatan would be out til December."

"Not at all what he said. Top journalism"

dino1980
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: FPL Best, 1,000th 2014-15.

Post by dino1980 »

Mav3rick wrote:Does Bertrand add much (other than certainty) over Cedric? Was Cedric not a bit of a BP monster when cleansheets were on the cards?

Also, this on Twitter:
Re: Shaw, odd that it states he'll be out to the end of the year. A story yesterday from The Guardian seems to suggest he'll miss the opening fixture(s) but return soon after.

Re: Bertrand vs Cedric. The extra .5 is part security, part attacking threat. Cedric is also a card magnet (he got 11 BPS to Betrand's 9). Both played similar minutes last season (2520 vs 2508 in Cedric's favour) and Bertrand had superior numbers for final third touches, penalty area touches and SITB and takes some corners. Cedric has far better chance created and crossing numbers though.

If I knew that Cedric was nailed then I'd take him at 5.0 over Bertrand at 5.5, just.

Amberarmy
Kevin and Perry

Post by Amberarmy »

I currently have Alonso, Trippier, Bertrand and Kolasinac.

I expect Alonso and Trippier to play as wing back. I read somewhere that Kolasinac played as a wing back last season and with Wenger preferring this system at the end of last season, surely he's worth 6mil in an Arsenal team without CL.

What are people's thoughts on Kolasinac? Has anyone seen him play much?

gallus
Grumpy Old Man

Post by gallus »

I currently have Milner, Alonso and Trippier in a 433, with Cedric in the D4 slot. The 4.5 options are poor this year, so my D5 is a 4.0 fodder.

Fuzzy
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: meh

Post by Fuzzy »

Similar back 5 (and structure) to Gallus, but with Lindelof rather than Milner for the time being.

We'll see how long my nerve holds.

From4corners
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by From4corners »

gallus wrote:I currently have Milner, Alonso and Trippier in a 433, with Cedric in the D4 slot. The 4.5 options are poor this year, so my D5 is a 4.0 fodder.
I have all four as well, but added Bellerín to it as well..

cesc408
Grumpy Old Man

Post by cesc408 »

From4corners wrote:
gallus wrote:I currently have Milner, Alonso and Trippier in a 433, with Cedric in the D4 slot. The 4.5 options are poor this year, so my D5 is a 4.0 fodder.
I have all four as well, but added Bellerín to it as well..
From that I take it your playing a back 5...

I tried this last year, 523 but switched to it midway through the 1st half of the season. Took hits to try it and it didn't work out with all the midfield talent on offer. If it is to be successful this season will be the decider.

Mav3rick
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Mav3rick »

I'd agree with that. I'd think most 'normal' sides would have trippier and their favourite 5.0.

Alonso, Bellerin and Milner if they can all make 180+ could change opinions. Will they all though and conversely will there be no emerging midfield or striker talent? What about any cheaper 4.5-5.5 wingbacks hitting 140+ for potentially hardly any money at all? I'd like to see some preseason formations before deciding but I can't see myself starting with a back 5 at the moment.

However it does feel quite wise to me to have a slot open for one of those pricey wingbacks, I feel it quite likely that someone could get close to 190 this year especially if you can chop and change the occupant of the slot with fixtures.

Billy Bongo
FISO Knight

Post by Billy Bongo »

PVA only joined Palace in January he's being overlooked

Sent from mobile

Hotstepper
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Reasonable

Post by Hotstepper »

PVA, Cedric and Lindelof for the opening 3 games, with Simpson in for PVA for the Liverpool away game.

Subject to 74838991929929 changes of mind over the next four weeks

swadd1er
Dumbledore

Post by swadd1er »

Chelsea signing Bakayoko has made their defenders even more desirable. Him and Kante in midfield is like a brick wall.

Baerardi
Treebeard

Post by Baerardi »

If (and it's looking more and more like a huge if) Chelsea sign Alex Sandro, does that put a question mark over the minutes of Alonso? I haven't really seen Sandro play, so I'm not 100% sure if they're similar position.

Le Red
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Will improve

Post by Le Red »

Baerardi wrote:If (and it's looking more and more like a huge if) Chelsea sign Alex Sandro, does that put a question mark over the minutes of Alonso? I haven't really seen Sandro play, so I'm not 100% sure if they're similar position.
I've been following Alex Sandro since when he still played in Santos alongside Neymar, and frankly, I thought he'd turn out a better player. He looked underwhelming whenever I saw him play at Juventus. Alonso is a better footballer and already had a successful season under Conte, so I don't see him being replaced on the first team.
Of all the defenders above 5.5, Alonso is the one I'm more interested in. Milner also catches the eye (if you're interested I analysed him on his own thread), but I think he loses on the competition with Alonso, and having both doesn't make much sense with all the great 5.5 options we have this season.

gallus
Grumpy Old Man

Post by gallus »

Le Red wrote:
Baerardi wrote:If (and it's looking more and more like a huge if) Chelsea sign Alex Sandro, does that put a question mark over the minutes of Alonso? I haven't really seen Sandro play, so I'm not 100% sure if they're similar position.
I've been following Alex Sandro since when he still played in Santos alongside Neymar, and frankly, I thought he'd turn out a better player. He looked underwhelming whenever I saw him play at Juventus. Alonso is a better footballer and already had a successful season under Conte, so I don't see him being replaced on the first team.
Of all the defenders above 5.5, Alonso is the one I'm more interested in. Milner also catches the eye (if you're interested I analysed him on his own thread), but I think he loses on the competition with Alonso, and having both doesn't make much sense with all the great 5.5 options we have this season.
How do you rate Milner and Alonso compared to 6.5-7.0 mids? With all the 4.5 options available in midfield, Alonso and Milner are directly competing with midfielders of the same price in my team.

Baerardi
Treebeard

Post by Baerardi »

Le Red wrote:
Whilst I understand your point on Alonso, there surely isn't any club willing to spend £50-60m on a player for him to then be a back-up option?

Le Red
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Will improve

Post by Le Red »

I was reading about it and apparently Juventus are trying to kep the player since they are making Chelsea offer a ridiculous amount of money. It would indeed seem strange to buy such an expensive player and leave him on the bench but it's ironic that Chelsea had Filipe Luís not too long ago, who is a much superior player, and that's exactly what happened. I think Chelsea will not buy the player for that price.

Isalla
Grumpy Old Man

5.5+ Defenders

Post by Isalla »

Le Red wrote:I Chelsea had Filipe Luís not too long ago, who is a much superior player, and that's exactly what happened.
Well, Mourinho was their manager then, so... ;)

Blue Fire
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Blue Fire »

Don't think Alex Sandro is leaving. He is apparently scheduled to join the first team in New York for the pre-season

Notned
FISO Knight

Post by Notned »

Milner and Trippier were the two that sprang to mind straight off to me, currently joined by Cedric/4.5/4.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Fantasy PremierLeague.com (FPL)”