To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Premium Strikers

A Fantasy Football forum for news on fantasy football games run by the Premierleague (FPL).
Le Red
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Will improve

Premium Strikers

Post by Le Red »

I'm starting this thread with the objective of discussing the potential of the premium strikers season-wise. In order to respect as much this goal, I'd like to ask of you the following:

- Don't analyse the starting fixtures. The goal, as said, is to debate the potential over the course of the season, not who are the best strikers to have in your team GW1.
- Do consider not only the player's individual potential, but also his price and how he compares to the other premium strikers.
- Do not comment on players who are not on the list. If you think someone like Firmino could do as well as those guys, it's a bargain rather than a premium.
- Let's try to keep in mind that this is fantasy football. Sometimes you might not be a fan of a player but he still scores points. Let's try to fundament our views on the players.

For this purpose, I'll consider as premium strikers the ones priced £10.0 and beyond, considering there's a gap of £1.5 to the next bracket of forwards. Here's the list:

Kane (£12.5)
Aguero (£11.5)
Lukaku (£11.5)
Lacazette (£10.5)
Jesus (£10.5)
Costa (£10.0)

I hope this turns into a decent thread. :)

Football Hero
Grumpy Old Man

Re: Premium Strikers

Post by Football Hero »

Jesus and Aguero seem underpriced to me.

Le Red
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Le Red »

My evaluations:

KANE: The highest priced player of the game for a reason. From a first glance, it's hard to see him not competing for top FPL player of the season, the most likely rivals being Sanchez and Lukaku. He's making fantastic progress every season, and he's clearly happy and motivated where he is. I think he's the safe pick, and you can't go very wrong if you set and forget the armband on him. Of course, there's always a risk involved with such an expensive player, but it appears to me that leaving him out of your squad is a much bigger risk.

AGUERO: It's pretty obvious that the main concern with him is playing time, and his price certainly reflects that. He was consistently scoring goals last season and still got benched in favour of Guardiola's shiny new toy. We'll hardly see this policy change though, meaning Aguero is too expensive for his unreliability. Also, it has to be considered that, albeit scoring 20 goals, he didn't look quite his usual self, sluggish and uninspired at times. Given that he's no longer the MVP of the team, as per the manager, I think his morale won't be too high. One last thing: even though he scored quite a bunch of goals, it was still 9 less than Kane, in nearly about the same time. Seeing him at £11.5 sure is tempting, but Aguero is looking more like the past of FPL rather than the present. I think he needs to be avoided bar wildcard antics.

LUKAKU: He's similar to Kane in that he's guaranteed to score many goals. It's hard to imagine that he won't bag at least 20 of them. But there are a lot of differences between them as well. Unlike Kane, Lukaku had his ups and downs. As for the downs, he scored only 10 goals in a not so distant 14/15. It was, in fact, only last season that he managed to score 20+ goals in the PL, something that Kane did three seasons in a row. Unlike Kane, he'll have to face a big change, going from Everton to MUFC. Even though MU is the better team, that doesn't necessarily mean he'll do better there than at Everton. It doesn't help that he's also very expensive, saving only £1.0 on Kane, who seems to be a much more reliable captain. I think many will disagree with me, but I think his price tag will prove to be a little too much come the end of the season, and I think he'll be seen more frequently on Dolly Parton teams alongside Kane.

LACAZETTE: The most unknown quantity of the bunch. He scored 20+ goals in his last three seasons in the Ligue1, his record being achieved last season with 28. I've only watched some youtube clips of him, and to be honest, I have not been impressed. I'm not saying he's not good, but to be a premium striker in FPL is a very hard task. Arsenal have not had a decent striker ever since RVP said goodbye, and I think this guy is not the answer to the problems of a side that's now Europa League level. As someone even pointed out, it's ironic that he's actually Giroud's reserve in France. I've also read a post that said only twice in the EPL a foreign newcomer managed to score 20+ goals. With all that said, I think that, if Lukaku's viability is threatened by Kane, Lacazette suffers a major blow in competing with Lukaku. I'm gonna stick my head out of the water and say that this guy is a 15-20 goal a season striker, and I'll be impressed if he's at the higher end of the stretch. I'll give him a thumbs down.

GABRIEL JESUS: Little sample, big numbers. Being Brazilian and watching him since his Palmeiras days, I have to say I instantly aknowledged him as a very good player, but I could not see him hitting the fround running like he did. He scored nearly a goal a game and topped that with some assists as well. To be honest, I think he has to evolve a lot still, but being in the development stages isn't stopping him from doing what matters the most for us: delivering end product. Of course, it's a big question mark whether he can replicate that during the course of a season, and his diva manager can have a sudden change of mind regarding his positioning and playing time. Anyway, he's got confidence and looked very involved, even returning from injury last season. If he can do half of what he was doing he still justify his price tag, which is in the lower end of the premium bracket. For those reasons, he's my favourite of this list bar Kane.

COSTA: Probably won't even be here at the start of the season, but if he is, one has to wonder if he'll be commited. He actually did very well last season (20G/11A), and I think any manager would be cool with that for £10.0. Come to think of it, he'd be a no-brainer over Lukaku if both scored exactly the same they did in 16/17. I rate him over Lacazette, and even Lukaku, given the £1.5 price difference. I think Jesus is the one that could make him underwhelming though. I'd say that, if Costa stays, and Jesus underperforms, he'll be in a lot of teams.

dino1980
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: FPL Best, 1,000th 2014-15.

Post by dino1980 »

I think all are reasonably priced, within .5m of where they should be. If you discount Costa - who is likely to leave - then in my opinion there are two distinct brackets of premium strikers.

In pot one we have Jesus and Lacazette. Bags of potential but neither are proven in the PL. They undoubtedly carry the most variance (biggest gap between floor and ceiling) but also, arguably, the biggest rewards/bang for your buck given their lower price tag within this group. With the info we currently have I wonder how many would be happy captaining them in any given gameweek above their more costly premium teammates (Sanchez, Aguero), if not then the 10.5m pricetag could weigh heavy. However, if Jesus becomes the main (central) man and we quickly see that Lacazette isn't part of Wenger's Europa league plans then I think that both these players have the potential to become mainstays in FPL squads.

In pot two we have the big dogs. You can make a case for all of these players being the best pick of the lot and I suspect pre-season will play a big factor over which 1 or 2 of these three make the majority of squads. I don't really think it's possible for Kane/Aguero/Lukaku to become 'value' picks they're just all very good picks who'll meet their value due to being captained a large amount of the time should you own them. I think the Wembley factor and Kane being a slow starter is being slightly overplayed as Spurs have training pitches of that size and Kane has no international football this summer so he seems the safer pick, but is priced accordingly.

With Lukaku we have no idea how he's going to adapt to playing for United yet and Aguero's gametime is the only worry around him for me. Neither of which we can answer just yet.

Edit: @Le Red - Lacazette is Giroud's understudy for the French national team mainly because it's been Griezmann+1 with Griezmann in the no 10 role. Giroud/Gignac have often been preferred as they're a better fit for the team as a whole.

Skrtel
Treebeard

Post by Skrtel »

I will avoid Aguero hence he's playing time is doubtful.
Costa might not even be at Chelsea when the season starts, and he had some struggles with the manager, so I will avoid.
Lacazette might add some well needed speed and movement in Arsenal's attack. He scored a lot last seasons in France. I will avoid, though, because I'm doubting he will contribute with that many goals. Wait and see.
Jesus is tempting but there is a lot of players competing for the slots in Man C's starting line up, therefore i will avoid him too.

Lukaku and Kane are both in my first team selection.

Mav3rick
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FPL: 1082, 1201, 1800, 10203

The stats are dark and full of errors.

Post by Mav3rick »

If there's any indication that either Jesus or Aguero is looking favourite to start in that city team most games then Id go with one of them I'm sure.

Lukaku will get the minutes, and maybe pens too, but I'd probably expect city to score a lot more goals overall, which may just overcome the minute limitations.

I know it's a thread about super premium strikers, but Sanchez really comes into the conversation too for me because it's hard to pick him and two super premium strikers so you need to be conciously putting the strikers above him.

As captaincy material, that's hard to do, since Kane, Lukaku and Sanchez are the three you'd be happy to captain any week and expect them to start.

wahine
Grumpy Cat
FS Record: Your life does not get
better by chance, it gets
better by change. JR.
♀️

Post by wahine »

if Kane is fit and scoring preseason i couldnt leave him out, i dont want to leave Lukuku out either, hes big an strong and usually sound and half the age of his predecessor who did allright last year :wink: with ManU having favourable fixtures. I quite like Benteke as an enabler, but only for the first game. (sorry Le
Red) and could easily change that and get a stronger midfield.so planning on two premium those two being it.
Last edited by wahine on 13 Jul 2017, 09:19, edited 1 time in total.

Rich2086
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: 09/10--2235--49,014

Post by Rich2086 »

Kane and Lukaku for me are the must haves I think after that it's Jesus but the conundrum is if you have jesus or Lacazette instead of a 6m striker that leaves a fairly week midfield.

Terry Henry
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: See me after class!

Re: RE: Re: Premium Strikers

Post by Terry Henry »

Rich2086 wrote:Kane and Lukaku for me are the must haves I think after that it's Jesus but the conundrum is if you have jesus or Lacazette instead of a 6m striker that leaves a fairly week midfield.
I have those three upfront and then Coutinho, Fabragas and Ramsey in the Midfield. Then 5.5, 5.0 and 5.0 in defence so it's doable

ajcairns
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Still Decidedly Average.

Post by ajcairns »

Football Hero wrote:Jesus and Aguero seem underpriced to me.
likelihood is Jesus OR Aguero will turn out to be underpriced, but if Pep regularly starts both then you might just be right.

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

ajcairns wrote:
likelihood is Jesus OR Aguero will turn out to be underpriced, but if Pep regularly starts both then you might just be right.
I think that they are "underpriced" as they play for the same side, so will share the number of goals, even if they do play (unles Citeh bag 3+ pretty much every GW.....) And yes, if one gets crocked then the other is decidedly interesting.

cesc408
Grumpy Old Man

Post by cesc408 »

Kane and Lukaku are both in my side until injury/suspension.
Kane is fixture proof and once again will be up there with the top BPL scorers and Lukaku fixtures are too good to ignore.

Although Defoe interests me now he is at Bmouth I am a player who goes for 3 big strikers, and the 3rd will be who looks good in pre season for MC.

Football Hero
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Football Hero »

ajcairns wrote:
He will regularly start both if Aguero stays, (which from what I understand he is staying).

Aguero will only stay if he is guaranteed to be starting most games, and he played well when he started games last year.

Jesus I think will clearly start as he's started every game that he has been fit for, (save for the initial sub appearance against Spurs of course), and he's performed well when doing so and Pep likes him a lot.

carver
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Top 50k last 4 seasons . Mr Consistent

Post by carver »

dino1980 wrote:I think all are reasonably priced, within .5m of where they should be.
My numbers totally agree with this. There will be an element of luck with the selection.

Terry Henry
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: See me after class!

Post by Terry Henry »

Just to set some minds wandering...

"Debut goal for Alexandre Lacazette. Swift attack down the right hand side, Lacazette times his run into the box to perfection to sidefoot home from eight yards."

The Username
Grumpy Old Man

Post by The Username »

I am considering the City double up of Kun and Jesus both look terrific value. Think Jesus will eventually end up as a inside forward.

cesc408
Grumpy Old Man

Post by cesc408 »

The Username wrote:I am considering the City double up of Kun and Jesus both look terrific value. Think Jesus will eventually end up as a inside forward.
With so much choice that seems a very "all eggs in 1 basket" kind of move to have them both. I doubt very much your go for it come deadline time.

The Username
Grumpy Old Man

Post by The Username »

cesc408 wrote:
The Username wrote:I am considering the City double up of Kun and Jesus both look terrific value. Think Jesus will eventually end up as a inside forward.
With so much choice that seems a very "all eggs in 1 basket" kind of move to have them both. I doubt very much your go for it come deadline time.
True i will probably talk myself out of it, City usually set a very early pace though and then their form dips once the weather changes. An Aguero over Kane is a tempter, Kane is usually a slow starter, but he has played no tournament football this summer for the first time in a long time. He does seem the type pf player that plays himself into form though over a few games back returning.

Mr Clarinet
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Mr Clarinet »

The Username wrote:
cesc408 wrote:
True i will probably talk myself out of it, City usually set a very early pace though and then their form dips once the weather changes. An Aguero over Kane is a tempter, Kane is usually a slow starter, but he has played no tournament football this summer for the first time in a long time. He does seem the type pf player that plays himself into form though over a few games back returning.
9 more goals and Kun breaks the all-time City goal-scoring record - I'm hoping somebody's mentioned it to him and he goes out to smash it in the first few games!

swadd1er
Dumbledore

Post by swadd1er »

Lacazette came on as a substitute in the 2nd half in Arsenals friendly and scored straight away.

cesc408
Grumpy Old Man

Post by cesc408 »

So there's 6 premiums at 10.0 or above listed (5 if you take Costa out as his interest may be minimal)

Anybody else also filling all the spots and going with 3 of them ?

I have come up with a team I'm happy with but means going 433 instead of my usual 343 (Unless RLC becomes my full time 4th mid)

Le Red
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Le Red »

cesc408 wrote:So there's 6 premiums at 10.0 or above listed (5 if you take Costa out as his interest may be minimal)

I doubt many people are going for three heavy hitters upfront. For starters, many would like to afford Sanchez in midfield. Even if you don't want Sanchez, 3 premium forwards limits severely the other sectors. Two premium forwards is going to be very popular though.

TheBigLewandowski
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: OR 1,259 2016/17

Post by TheBigLewandowski »

Is it mad to go with only one premium forward?
Will either be one or two premium forwards for me in a 3-4-3.
But was just playing about with cheaper forwards and I'm actually thinking of going with the likes of Benteke/King/Defoe/Abraham alongside one or two premium forwards.

Mr Clarinet
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Mr Clarinet »

TheBigLewandowski wrote:Is it mad to go with only one premium forward?
But was just playing about with cheaper forwards and I'm actually thinking of going with the likes of Benteke/King/Defoe/Abraham alongside one or two premium forwards.
Couple of recent posts on this topic in the STC thread.

TheBigLewandowski
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: OR 1,259 2016/17

Post by TheBigLewandowski »

Mr Clarinet wrote:
TheBigLewandowski wrote:Is it mad to go with only one premium forward?
Couple of recent posts on this topic in the STC thread.
Thanks mate. Will have a look.

DAREEL
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Winner of FISO McDonald's Euro 2016 official . league. FPL player since the game began. Successful cash mini league player that usually ends up in profit

Post by DAREEL »

Aguero is under priced or kaku is over priced

Lacazette obviously has potential but remains a punt coming into the prem. Not every player adjusts to new surrounding and pressure. Wait and see for me

Jesus could be excellent but I wouldn't want him unless he's in the centre

Not sure about kaku..think others are expecting too much and massively over rating him and UTD

Costa on his way out

Kane is just unreal. Him or kun for the golden boot making both essential this season . Get on the bandwagon early

That's my opinion

cesc408
Grumpy Old Man

Post by cesc408 »

Le Red wrote:
cesc408 wrote:So there's 6 premiums at 10.0 or above listed (5 if you take Costa out as his interest may be minimal)

I doubt many people are going for three heavy hitters upfront. For starters, many would like to afford Sanchez in midfield. Even if you don't want Sanchez, 3 premium forwards limits severely the other sectors. Two premium forwards is going to be very popular though.
Yes it takes up funds and limits elsewhere slightly but I just look at the quality listed and potential, and having just 2 from that list instead of 3 doesn't feel right for me.

Lukaku is no.1 for me due to the opening fixtures he has. Kane is the 1 I could drop out but I don't think I can risk going without somebody who I believe will get 25 goals at least. And then there's the final 3 who I can't decide who is best to have, let alone going without any of them!!

Rather pay extra for 1 of these and miss out on a Pool or City mid.

So many options this year. Going to be a very exciting season.

Rich2086
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: 09/10--2235--49,014

Post by Rich2086 »

For me im going to go with Kane and Lukaku. If i was to pick a 3rd and im still 50/50 if i want him or someone much cheaper would be Jesus. Having said that i dont think many people will be disappointed with Lacazette.

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

Mr Clarinet wrote: 9 more goals and Kun breaks the all-time City goal-scoring record - I'm hoping somebody's mentioned it to him and he goes out to smash it in the first few games!
Because it's such a prestigious accolade.

Who's he going to overtake? Goater, Benjani and Santa Cruz?

Maldini
Dumbledore

Post by Maldini »

Joe Hayes, Colin Bell, Tommy Johnson and Eric Brook.

All City legends.

You're not one of those who thinks football started in 1992, are you Zim?

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Fantasy PremierLeague.com (FPL)”