To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

New Chip! Free Hit

A Fantasy Football forum for news on fantasy football games run by the Premierleague (FPL).
Football Hero
Grumpy Old Man

Re: RE: Re: New Chip! Free Hit

Post by Football Hero »

Sutter Kane wrote:
Finisher1 wrote:
Sutter Kane wrote: On another note, the problem with playing it in blank weeks is that the players all play each other so the average score tends to be very low those weeks. Unless the blank weeks contain multiple double games.
I have never really got this argument. Surely every player has his own points potential, so you shouldn't worry about them playing against each other. If you pick just a one-sided team who don't play against each other, then you might not get any points at all.
Puts a ceiling on the scores. As planners, we pick players who have good fixtures generally especially when we rotate - if our options for choice and also our options for captaincy are depleted we score less. It's no surprise those weeks are poor ones, as we have no choice to rotate or pick desired fixtures even with xi men. We literally have to play attacker vs defender which is undesirable but hard to avoid in such weeks.

I always believe each player has his own points potential but this isn't the same thing as the % ownership argument where I believe in picking the one who'll score the most points, not worrying about high ownership.
It puts a ceiling on scores, but it also gives an extra boost to the lower end of the range as well.

For instance, a gameweek where all your players play each other might range from 40 to 60 points, whereas when they don't play each other, the range could be between 30 and 70 points. The mean would still be the same but the peaks and troughs would be lower.

Joccki_10
Grumpy Old Joker
FS Record: 16/17: 55 OR, 1 FISO Forum, 1 NLD and FISO Cup Winner

Re: New Chip! Free Hit

Post by Joccki_10 »

Mav3rick wrote:It's a tactical chip no doubt, my first thought was to use it in a blank, but if I found myself stuck with a dodgy captain, or a temporary ban/injury crisis I could see potential other uses.
This was my initial thought. However you would need to have a very, very serious crisis to justify the need of the Free Hit chip.

I mean... A fifth yellow resulting in a one-match ban for Kyle Walker along with a short-term Hazard injury won't get you anywhere, right?

Finisher1
Dumbledore

Post by Finisher1 »

Joccki_10 wrote: You have made some serious progress during the summer. ;) :lol:
:lol:

Not really, I'm still my diplomatic self that you've learnt to know me ;)

Football Hero
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Football Hero »

Sutter Kane wrote:Yes it does put a slight floor under points. However just cos you pick an attacker vs a defender and the attacking team scores doesn't mean it's your man who's involved. Yes there's more chance but not 100%. However you've 100% lost the clean sheet. The limited choice means we're bound to be picking in an inferior way. What I'm saying is the floor you suggested exists does not make up for the ceiling, not even close. In any particular week I want all my players to have a great chance of points, my chances of that happening in a heavily reduced timetable are destroyed. I plan throughout the season to avoid such confrontations of att vs def.
Don't think there's many if any combos of def/att getting 6ppg average - 99% of the time it doesn't work nicely like that. Basically we don't like def vs att if possible but you are forced to in such weeks, and with a limited choice at that.
Literally the floor and ceiling do indeed cancel each other out. Each player's inherent ppg is unaffected by whether you own an opposing player or not, they still are destined to score the same points.

So if you had Defoe for Sunderland at home to Man Utd, and you also owned Smalling, you would probably play both right?

You would also play just Defoe or just Smalling if you owned just one of the two as well right?

In either scenario they would both have the same expected points return, regardless of whether you happened to own one or both players.

Lucky
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Lucky »

Definitely a tactical chip

I think there could be many different GWs to play the new chip for reasons that have not all been discussed. I am just brainstorming.

Imagine the following situation: you buy popular players on time i.e. Jesus, Fabregas, Rooney and ??? The resale value is significantly lower than the current purchase value. Short term injuries, bans for to many yellow cards / red cards coincide ... and the GW is just before an international break ... Maybe the moment to play it?

Just food for thought.

Probably good to think about the possibilities, but in practice the "best" use will need to be decided during the season.

I prefer it to the AOA chip which was more of a gambling chip.

Mo Bot
Dumbledore
FS Record: Inaugural Last Man Standing. FISO Fantasy Eurovision champ 2012. World #1 in UFPL for a whole week

Post by Mo Bot »

My first thoughts are that it's a chip that could be used to Pick out a favourable fixture in a run of dodgy ones. For example, many won't have United players when they have a run of Liverpool, Huddersfield, Spurs and Chelsea but wouldn't miss out on Huddersfield if you use the chip.

Gambit
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Gambit »

impossible to say when the best time to use it will be, will be different for each team depending on circumstances, but one thing for certain is that it will be better than the eff useless AOA chip!

I can see the merit of using it:

a: in a GW with blanks
b: last day of the season to chase down a cash league instead of taking multiple hits to claw back 20 points or so
c: in a situation where you are doing well and generally happy with your team, but there is a GW where a few key players you don't own have killer fixtures, you don't want to dismantle your squad but feel that it could be disastrous if you don't get them in
d: blocking tactic late in the season to cover a gaining rival, similar to the point above, he's gaining and has what looks like a very favourable GW as you have quite different squads, you hit this chip and block his entire GW

Joccki_10
Grumpy Old Joker

New Chip! Free Hit

Post by Joccki_10 »

Mo Bot wrote:My first thoughts are that it's a chip that could be used to Pick out a favourable fixture in a run of dodgy ones. For example, many won't have United players when they have a run of Liverpool, Huddersfield, Spurs and Chelsea but wouldn't miss out on Huddersfield if you use the chip.
Good suggestion, but this probably means you would use the chip purely and entirely fixture-wise and I don't think that's an ideal situation. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Football Hero
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Football Hero »

Joccki_10 wrote:
Mo Bot wrote:My first thoughts are that it's a chip that could be used to Pick out a favourable fixture in a run of dodgy ones. For example, many won't have United players when they have a run of Liverpool, Huddersfield, Spurs and Chelsea but wouldn't miss out on Huddersfield if you use the chip.
Good suggestion, but this probably means you would use the chip purely and entirely fixture-wise and I don't think that's an ideal situation. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Basically, it would probably be better if there were at least two decent teams with a decent fixture in the same week, (with each team having poor fixtures surrounding that week). Then the chip could be used to load up on those two or three teams with a good fixture in that week, and then the chip would switch all those players back out again for free.

SuperGrover
Grumpy Old Man

Post by SuperGrover »

Bixer wrote:Honestly I think it's a great idea. It can potentially put less pressure on essentially having to plan the entirety of the final 8 weeks of the season around 1 or 2 DGWs.
Which takes one more strategy lever out of the bag and forces everyone down the same path.

Last year, one of the major differences was the approach to DGW and the huge blank week. I chose to plan ahead while others did not. I ended up gaining 10-15 points on my rivals as the cost of sub-optimum lineups early was cancelled out by the lack of hits and full squad later. It could have gone the other way too. My point is that there were options and that allowed for different approaches, especially critical when chasing.

Don't like it at all myself but will adapt as usual.

OIEIAO
FISOhead

Post by OIEIAO »

Last year in week 27 Man City had a double gameweek. The "obvious thing to do" was to get hold of and triple captain Aguero. Many of us did so.

In the same situation now, if you were City-less but didn't fancy their future run, instead of maybe taking a hit to get Aguero (TC) in, you could free hit and get Aguero (regular captain), Sane and De Bruyne.

Could also be used for a smaller double gameweek with a few punts eg if a cheap striker like a Charlie Austin (of a draw years ago) and a Benteke had 2 favourable fixtures but you didn't fancy carrying them through the final 8 weeks.

OIEIAO
FISOhead

Post by OIEIAO »

bspittles
Dumbledore

Post by bspittles »

Wait for a week when there are three very one-sided games, and stock up on those players. Then return to your more balanced squad the following week.

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

I've not read all the above, but there must be a LOT of overthinking going on, assuming it has stayed on thread :wink:

1, You you only need the FH\one night stand\prostitute Chip live for 5 mins beofre the end of a GW, so can have your Transfers done, so SV is not affected. (Admittedly this doesn't strictly make sense as the FH Team would be for the GW that has just been played and you get your Real\Wife Team back for the next GW so you can not tinker etc - maybe when you fire the FH Chip is does the calculation pretty much straight away?)
2, Planning for the Chip is daft, imho. Assuming that I play FPL next season: the first time I get 20 points and the Team of the Week gets over 100, then badda-bing the FH gets fired. (Yes GW1 is quite likely :lol: )

Football Hero
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Football Hero »

Yeah, I believe that this new chip is a fairly bad one for experienced and forward planning players, as the blank gameweek was an excellent chance to gain on others last season with a bit of forward thinking. I remember looking at a lot of my mini-league rivals the week before the blank, and looking at their squads, seeing that they only had 3 or 4 players playing in the blank, of which 1 or 2 of those players was someone like Darren Fletcher, whereas myself had 10 reasonable players ready and raring to go.

If the same situation develops this season, all my rivals will just play their chip once they realise that they are in trouble for that week. While this means that I will still be able to use the chip in a different week for some minor points gain, my rivals will be utilising the chip better imo, all because of their poorer planning.

So all-in-all I would say that this chip levels the playing field more, rather than allowing serious players to pull away even further. Blank gameweeks are the serious players' bread and butter, chance for big gains but we lose that advantage now.

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

or because they are poorer planners/players... will they have already blown it prior to a blank week late in the season?

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

FPL turns even more into crazy golf every year. I'll stick to the real thing thanks. No clowns and windmills for me.

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

blahblah wrote:I've not read all the above, but there must be a LOT of overthinking going on, assuming it has stayed on thread :wink:

1, You you only need the FH\one night stand\prostitute Chip live for 5 mins beofre the end of a GW, so can have your Transfers done, so SV is not affected. (Admittedly this doesn't strictly make sense as the FH Team would be for the GW that has just been played and you get your Real\Wife Team back for the next GW so you can not tinker etc - maybe when you fire the FH Chip is does the calculation pretty much straight away?)
2, Planning for the Chip is daft, imho. Assuming that I play FPL next season: the first time I get 20 points and the Team of the Week gets over 100, then badda-bing the FH gets fired. (Yes GW1 is quite likely :lol: )
Im not quite understanding your angle (or the interpretation of the chip);

Are you saying i can use the chip whilst the game week is in flight?
Is that to benefit from the points or the price rises?
Surely thats not the case is it? I know i should read up on this stuff for myself.

Stemania
FISO Jedi Knight
Location: On the Iron Throne of xG, the seat of The Crown Prince of the Stat Perverts. Or if not, in the STC!
FS Record: Best: TFF 321st. FPL 129th. FFS Career HoF Peak 2nd (Live 1st). Ability since lost.

Post by Stemania »

"The Free Hit chip can be used once a season, is played when confirming your transfers and can't be cancelled after confirmed."

Football Hero
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Football Hero »

Zimmerman wrote:or because they are poorer planners/players... will they have already blown it prior to a blank week late in the season?
No, because they are not sufficiently poor to completely blow their chips early on random gameweeks; those players would be the true casuals and finish many points behind you over the course of a season.

The group I am referring to are the weaker end of the serious players or upper end of the casuals, the sort of players who when having a lucky season, they can potentially beat you, and this chip helps them out more than it helps the best players out imo.

Football Hero
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Football Hero »

blahblah wrote:My understanding is that you do the Transfers, but play the Chip 20 mins before the Deadline and you get the Chip Points, then you get your old Squad back for the following GW.
Which 'old squad' do you get back after you've played the chip?

For instance, lets say you played the FH chip in GW30, but you'd already made one or two free transfers in a separate, earlier transaction in that week, (with the aim of getting these players in for GW31), and you had gained team value etc., would it revert me back to my GW29 deadline team, or would it revert back to my slightly altered post-GW29 team with the one or two changes I'd made in preparation for GW31?

Stemania
FISO Jedi Knight
Location: On the Iron Throne of xG, the seat of The Crown Prince of the Stat Perverts. Or if not, in the STC!
FS Record: Best: TFF 321st. FPL 129th. FFS Career HoF Peak 2nd (Live 1st). Ability since lost.

Post by Stemania »

Football Hero wrote: For instance, lets say you played the FH chip in GW30, but you'd already made one or two free transfers in a separate, earlier transaction in that week, (with the aim of getting these players in for GW31), and you had gained team value etc., would it revert me back to my GW29 deadline team, or would it revert back to my slightly altered post-GW29 team with the one or two changes I'd made in preparation for GW31?
I'm pretty sure it would be the team you had on the GW29 deadline.

Mr Clarinet
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Mr Clarinet »

Stemania wrote:
Football Hero wrote: For instance, lets say you played the FH chip in GW30, but you'd already made one or two free transfers in a separate, earlier transaction in that week, (with the aim of getting these players in for GW31), and you had gained team value etc., would it revert me back to my GW29 deadline team, or would it revert back to my slightly altered post-GW29 team with the one or two changes I'd made in preparation for GW31?
I'm pretty sure it would be the team you had on the GW29 deadline.
Would that mean that use of the chip costs you (at least) one free transfer? (In which case it's not really a "free" hit.) I take it no regular transfers would roll over to be available after the chip expires...

Joccki_10
Grumpy Old Joker

Post by Joccki_10 »

I believe the chip will include all transfers made in that particular gameweek, independent from the time of making those transfers and activating the chip.

So in this case, like Stem says: in GW31 you will revert back to the team you played GW29 with.

Stemania
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Stemania »

Yep, having looked closer it says very specifically in the rules and the FAQs that it's the team and bank balance from the previous gameweek deadline.

On the transfer thing, I can't find anything explicit in the rules/FAQs, only that you lose the free transfer with a wildcard, so who knows? Maybe you keep it/go into the next GW with 2.

maradonash
Red & Blue Braces

Post by maradonash »

Have to say, I really don't like the fact that the FH chip is irreversible. It's just sat there...goading me.
What if my cat walks across the keyboard? :shock:
I just hope that there are several 'are you sure?' confirmation requests after you hit it.

Football Hero
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Football Hero »

maradonash wrote:Have to say, I really don't like the fact that the FH chip is irreversible. It's just sat there...goading me.
What if my cat walks across the keyboard? :shock:
I just hope that there are several 'are you sure?' confirmation requests after you hit it.
Also, is the FH chip a one-time thing, or can you activate it early in the gameweek, then later on in the gameweek you find out that one of the players you got in is injured, so then can you keep using free transfers to amend your team, or is that it, you're locked in with what you have already chosen at the time when you first played the chip? I expect that you can probably keep on making changes throughout the week in separate transactions, but I'm not 100% sure.

Mav3rick
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FPL: 1082, 1201, 1800, 10203

The stats are dark and full of errors.

Post by Mav3rick »

The team and bank balance from the previous week? So does that mean you just ignore price changes that week in your squad, or do you get a correction applied after the chip ends?

MoSe
Dumbledore
FS Record: FISODAS CUP Winner Season 25
FISO H2H Winner: 15/16 Div2 - 16/17 Div1
FISO Mirror: 16/17 PL Winner

Post by MoSe »

Mav3rick wrote:The team and bank balance from the previous week? So does that mean you just ignore price changes that week in your squad, or do you get a correction applied after the chip ends?
from the PL news linked in the OP
https://www.premierleague.com/news/436425
For example, if the Free Hit chip is played leading up to Gameweek 2, once the deadline has passed, you will see the points scored by your new squad via the points tab.
Your previous squad will now return and is accessible on the transfers tab.
Managers cannot benefit from any price changes gained from their new Free Hit squad.
However, price changes applied to their previous line-up will take effect on their return once the chip expires.
and now published in the updated 17/18 rules https://fantasy.premierleague.com/a/help#rules
Chips
►How do price changes affect the Free Hit chip?

After playing your Free Hit chip,
at the next deadline your bank balance and squad is restored to as they were at the previous deadline,
with any player price changes in the previous gameweek reflected.

Any change to your bank balance whilst the Free Hit chip was active will be lost
Last edited by MoSe on 12 Jul 2017, 13:48, edited 1 time in total.

Stemania
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Stemania »

Mav3rick wrote:The team and bank balance from the previous week? So does that mean you just ignore price changes that week in your squad, or do you get a correction applied after the chip ends?
My reading is that you get exactly the bank balance you had at the deadline, exactly the same squad you had, but with the players having moved in price as they would have if you'd done nothing. So once pressed you're in the lap of the price change gods for the week with your original team.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Fantasy PremierLeague.com (FPL)”