To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

New Chip! Free Hit

A Fantasy Football forum for news on fantasy football games run by the Premierleague (FPL).
blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Re: Free hit chip

Post by blahblah »

hancockjr wrote: 12 Aug 2017, 22:17
blahblah wrote: 12 Aug 2017, 21:40
Viduka wrote: 12 Aug 2017, 21:39 Ok. Then i will consider wildcarding.
Do you guys know if I Can activate my Wildcard, play around, and Then maybe decide not to Wildcard before deadline?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Definitely not.
Are you sure? I think you may be able to, but you'll get a points hit for all the transfers you've done. No difference in reality of course!
I have never seen a "Disable WC" kinda button, and the hit would be huge - assuming the WC was reasonable :lol: :lol: :lol:

Stemania
FISO Jedi Knight
Location: On the Iron Throne of xG, the seat of The Crown Prince of the Stat Perverts. Or if not, in the STC!
FS Record: Best: TFF 321st. FPL 129th. FFS Career HoF Peak 2nd (Live 1st). Ability since lost.

Post by Stemania »

Talkie Toaster wrote: 12 Aug 2017, 20:30 I checked this with the fpl.
It seems you only have 1FT after playing the FH (Yo-yo) Chip regardless of how many you had before.
So it's the same as playing a WC as far as transfers are concerned.
Good work!

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

Stemania wrote: 12 Aug 2017, 22:39
Talkie Toaster wrote: 12 Aug 2017, 20:30 I checked this with the fpl.
It seems you only have 1FT after playing the FH (Yo-yo) Chip regardless of how many you had before.
So it's the same as playing a WC as far as transfers are concerned.
Good work!
A thread of this stuff would be handy?

I assumed the 2nd would carry, but then it doesn't with a WC.

MoSe
Dumbledore
FS Record: FISODAS CUP Winner Season 25
FISO H2H Winner: 15/16 Div2 - 16/17 Div1
FISO Mirror: 16/17 PL Winner

Post by MoSe »

blahblah wrote: 12 Aug 2017, 22:19
hancockjr wrote: 12 Aug 2017, 22:17
blahblah wrote: 12 Aug 2017, 21:40
Viduka wrote: 12 Aug 2017, 21:39 Ok. Then i will consider wildcarding.
Do you guys know if I Can activate my Wildcard, play around, and Then maybe decide not to Wildcard before deadline?
Definitely not.
Are you sure? I think you may be able to, but you'll get a points hit for all the transfers you've done. No difference in reality of course!
I have never seen a "Disable WC" kinda button, and the hit would be huge - assuming the WC was reasonable :lol: :lol: :lol:
in the Rules
The Wildcard chip is played when confirming transfers that cost points and can't be cancelled once played.

Football Hero
Grumpy Old Man

Re: New Chip! Free Hit

Post by Football Hero »

Do we know yet whether the Free Hit can be applied multiple times in the same gameweek or whether you only get one opportunity to do a batch of transfers and then that is your 'Free Hit' used up in it's entirety and you are stuck with that squad until the next deadline?

For instance, if I change 10 players now using the Free Hit chip, and then later on in the week I would like to change my mind completely and switch to another 12 different new players, is this kind of tinkering permitted?

MoSe
Dumbledore

Post by MoSe »

From how it's described in the Rules, its effect works just like a WC: once you activate it, it covers all the transfers you do in that gameweek:
- all those you previously confirmed before activating it,
- those you're doing when activating it,
- those you'll do after having played it, in the same gameweek up until the deadline.
Free Hit

Make unlimited free transfers for a single Gameweek.
At the next deadline your squad is returned to how it was at the start of the Gameweek.
You don't need to apply it "multiple times".
You apply it once anytime during a gameweek and it covers that whole gameweek's transfers.

Football Hero
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Football Hero »

Thank you MoSe. :-)

Hogmeister
Dumbledore
FS Record: Top 300 in all-time FPL rankings

Post by Hogmeister »

Good discussion on here, thanks :D

I had read the description on the FPL site and decided I still didn't understand it, but this thread has clarified it - although I still don't get Blah's description of playing it and putting in the TotW to get 100 points over 20, that description of how it works seems to be at odds with what everyone else is saying - or maybe I just misunderstood his point.

Overall I wish they weren't messing about with these chips, it does seem like crazy golf as someone else said... but I suspect (like any additional option/complication) it will favour the serious payers over the casuals.

Tall Paul
Dumbledore

Post by Tall Paul »

Probably been mentioned, but surely the best time to play would be in the final gameweek, then it's like another wildcard.

ZeroRemorse
Grumpy Old Man

Post by ZeroRemorse »

Tall Paul wrote: 24 Aug 2017, 14:05 Probably been mentioned, but surely the best time to play would be in the final gameweek, then it's like another wildcard.
I think a BGW would probably be the best time personally.

hancockjr
Dumbledore
FS Record: FPL: Not as good as it was, but still very respectable.

Post by hancockjr »

ZeroRemorse wrote: 24 Aug 2017, 18:41
Tall Paul wrote: 24 Aug 2017, 14:05 Probably been mentioned, but surely the best time to play would be in the final gameweek, then it's like another wildcard.
I think a BGW would probably be the best time personally.
Or a DGW where you didn't want any of the DGW players on a permanent basis.

hzeir
Cheetah
FS Record: top 10000

Post by hzeir »

MoSe wrote: 13 Aug 2017, 04:46 From how it's described in the Rules, its effect works just like a WC: once you activate it, it covers all the transfers you do in that gameweek:
- those you'll do after having played it, in the same gameweek up until the deadline.
Free Hit

At the next deadline your squad is returned to how it was at the start of the Gameweek.
You apply it once anytime during a gameweek and it covers that whole gameweek's transfers.
It was mentioned in FFScout that confirmed transfers made before activating the FHC during the same week will not stand but hits will still be counted, the GW after the FHC is played your team will revert back to the team you started the GW with. So it's not exactly like the WC that cancels all deductions caused by transfers. I'm not sure if that's a glitch or this is how the chip works.
Source: http://www.fantasyfootballscout.co.uk/2 ... t_16265319

Redsnout
Treebeard
FS Record: 676 - FPL (2016-17)

Post by Redsnout »

hzeir wrote: 24 Aug 2017, 20:12
MoSe wrote: 13 Aug 2017, 04:46 From how it's described in the Rules, its effect works just like a WC: once you activate it, it covers all the transfers you do in that gameweek:
Free Hit

It was mentioned in FFScout that confirmed transfers made before activating the FHC during the same week will not stand but hits will still be counted, the GW after the FHC is played your team will revert back to the team you started the GW with. So it's not exactly like the WC that cancels all deductions caused by transfers. I'm not sure if that's a glitch or this is how the chip works.
Source: http://www.fantasyfootballscout.co.uk/2 ... t_16265319

I am not sure how it exactly works. But if the transfers made before activating FHC counts towards your original squad (so does the hits), that would be better. If it doesn't count, you won't be able to make any changes to your original squad for the entire week to cover up any injuries or price drops for future weeks. It makes sense in that case, to allow transfers for original squad before activating FH and then a shadow squad for one week.

Apologies if this has been covered earlier, does the FH transfers count towards the price rises/drops?

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

I believe that when you log in and do Xfers and hit the FH Button, then that is FH land ie no relevance to NTI's and your squad is frozen, whether the Freezing is before that lot of Xfers or the last GW Squad, then I don't know.

It can easily be programmed to be before that "lot" of Xfers, and makes it a less bad Chip, as it can be played Saturday morning. I kinda assumed that it was the Squad for the last GW....

hancockjr
Dumbledore
FS Record: FPL: Not as good as it was, but still very respectable.

Post by hancockjr »

So any price changes of your "old" team whilst your one week team is in operation are ignored ?

Do you keep the price changes of the one week team? Presumably not?
Last edited by hancockjr on 24 Aug 2017, 22:01, edited 1 time in total.

MoSe
Dumbledore

Post by MoSe »

blahblah wrote: 24 Aug 2017, 21:51 your squad is frozen, whether the Freezing is before that lot of Xfers or the last GW Squad, then I don't know.
MoSe wrote: From how it's described in the Rules, ...
Free Hit

Then if FPL failed to implement it as they intended, I can't say till I test it

MoSe
Dumbledore

Post by MoSe »

hancockjr wrote: 24 Aug 2017, 21:59 So any price changes of your "old" team whilst your one week team is in operation are ignored ?

Do you keep the price changes of the one week team? Presumably not?
How do price changes affect the Free Hit chip?

After playing your Free Hit chip, at the next deadline your bank balance and squad is restored to as they were at the previous deadline, with any player price changes in the previous gameweek reflected.

Any change to your bank balance whilst the Free Hit chip was active will be lost.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

MoSe wrote: 24 Aug 2017, 22:00
blahblah wrote: 24 Aug 2017, 21:51 your squad is frozen, whether the Freezing is before that lot of Xfers or the last GW Squad, then I don't know.
MoSe wrote: From how it's described in the Rules, ...
Free Hit

Then if FPL failed to implement it as they intended, I can't say till I test it
Exactly.....

MoSe
Dumbledore

Post by MoSe »

Price changes of mercenaries only affect your budget for further transfers while FH is in effect
I.e. you activate FH, bring in player A, he gains 0.2, you change your mind and sell A to get B, you can use the 0.1 gain to buy B.
Any FH budget change gets wiped, reset, at the deadline
At the deadline your previous gw team, your "old" team gets back. With their current prices. While you use your FH mercenaries, you can only "watch" your old team go up and down in price (likelier down) without any chance to deal with it, you'll bear the full brunt of their changes when they get back.

IF things actually work as they said

Awe
Cheetah

Post by Awe »

I bet FPL crashes the first time somebody uses it.

And the second.

And again.

MoSe
Dumbledore

Post by MoSe »

Free Hit me Baby one more time

Pirlo's Beard
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Pirlo's Beard »

This would be a lovely time to use it if you didn't need it before then. Unfortunately, as others have pointed out, it would probably be of more sensible use in a BGW, or in a DGW where you didn't want any of the DGW players long-term.

As with all the other chips, the best time to use it will be dependent on your individual circumstance as a manager, and your assessment of where you can gain the most value from it. Holding it until GW38 is a great idea, but if your GW37 squad is very close to the squad you'd want for GW38, and it turns out you could have made better use of the chip back in a BGW or a DGW, then it won't be such a great idea anymore.

MoSe wrote: 24 Aug 2017, 22:18 Free Hit me Baby one more time

I'm addicted to [FPL], don't you know that [it's] toxic? :roll:

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

You both owned those songs, and made them your own.

wibble_mcwoo
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Meh. Best c. 3,000th; usually in the 10,000's these days

Post by wibble_mcwoo »

One of my ML rivals played Free Hit by accident in GW2 to bring in Mounie for Benteke - someone pointed out what had happened, and she seems to have knowingly kept Benteke in when he was restored, as she then made him her vice captain as she had in GW1.

The blank week free hit makes a lot of sense, but I'm currently thinking of three alternate options, two of which have already been mentioned:

1. GW38 third wildcard
2. In a GW where a few premiums have juicy fixtures and you don't have them (preferably premium teams, not just premium players); and
3. In a DGW - Blank - Normal - DGW sequence, it's possible you might end up using the free hit for one of the DGWs instead and WC'ing for the blank. It stops you using TC and BB in the two big DGWs, but that's not always a given you'd want to anyway (last time I went for that early Aguero TC opportunity, more's the pity). The key question is which GW stands out the most from the others. I imagine it might be possible for one DGW to be really different both from before and after that DGW and make you want to hop on and off that DGW's best squad.

For the last one, logically, there'll be a link between the blank week fixtures and at least one of the DGW fixtures, of course (anyone able to comment on the logic of this? Should there be a standard pattern based on how fixtures move for cup games, or does it really depend on who manages to stay in lots of cups vs those who stay in just the FA Cup?).

From4corners
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by From4corners »

My girlfriend just noticed the Free Hit was activated for her, while she never pressed it. At least, not on purpose. This blows for her..

reddevil 99
FISOhead

Post by reddevil 99 »

I`ve no City at the moment so thinking of using this chip to load up on them this week, otherwise it would be an 8 point hit.

Football Hero
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Football Hero »

From4corners wrote: 15 Sep 2017, 07:13 My girlfriend just noticed the Free Hit was activated for her, while she never pressed it. At least, not on purpose. This blows for her..
She must have pressed it.

Finisher1
Dumbledore

Post by Finisher1 »

reddevil 99 wrote: 16 Sep 2017, 23:30 I`ve no City at the moment so thinking of using this chip to load up on them this week, otherwise it would be an 8 point hit.
Free Hit is surely worth more than 8 points. Just take -8 and save your FH for blank gameweeks.

Football Hero
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Football Hero »

Finisher1 wrote: 17 Sep 2017, 11:08
reddevil 99 wrote: 16 Sep 2017, 23:30 I`ve no City at the moment so thinking of using this chip to load up on them this week, otherwise it would be an 8 point hit.
Free Hit is surely worth more than 8 points. Just take -8 and save your FH for blank gameweeks.
This chip certainly seems to have reduced the planning advantage that good managers had over other players now.

Football Hero
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Football Hero »

It seems like the transfers made under the Free Hit chip count towards your seasonal transfer total, and so will hurt your ranking slightly if you are not clinical and instead do a lot of swapping in and out during the Free Hit before ending up with your desired team. That's a bit strange because the number of transfers made during your wildcard weeks do not increase your seasonal transfer total, so you can be as liberal as you like when it comes to making moves.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Fantasy PremierLeague.com (FPL)”