To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

"Regrets, I've had a few..."

A Fantasy Football forum for news on fantasy football games run by the Premierleague (FPL).
Ruth_NZ
Grumpy Old Gorilla

"Regrets, I've had a few..."

Post by Ruth_NZ »

I remember last season the big DGW was in GW34 and many managers wildcarded in GW33 to set up for a GW34 BB. That meant taking out SGW players like Kane and Alderweireld who did very well that week and also as SGW players in the DGW itself.

I'm wondering which players people are losing on wildcard may do that this time? The Liverpool midfielders (Coutinho/Firmino) jump out immediately; they have SOT whm MID over the last 3 weeks. So you wouldn't be surprised at good returns from them.

Bournemouth are another team with good fixtures (STO BUR lei) and they are finishing the season on a high. A lot have kept King but Daniels? He could go well.

I'd imagine most will be losing Heaton in favour of a DGW GK (Forster, Caballero, Cech) but with WBA bou WHM Burnley have CS potential for sure (especially in the home games). Lukaku will be another popular transfer out but with Watford at Goodison in GW37 he could easily be the highest-scoring SGW player.

And then we have Hull and Swansea. Hull have SUN cpl TOT (so GW36 is especially good) and Swansea have EVE sun WBA. So some great fixtures there and, more important, those two are fighting for their lives. Teams sometimes do extraordinary things at the end of the season when they are in that situation. The good thing is that their defenders are cheap enough to keep on wildcard (and would actually be playable for a GW37 BB); I have retained Maguire and Fernandez. But I do fancy Sigurdsson in GW38 if the relegation battle is still open and my wildcard leaves the possibility open to make that move then. Siggy could definitely be one that hurts the wildcarders in any case.

Any others? I wonder how many regrets there will be in a few days' time. :!: :?:

Billy Bongo
FISO Knight

Re: "Regrets, I've had a few..."

Post by Billy Bongo »

I regret not having Maguire

Sent from mobile

theplayer
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: 3rd overall FPL 2010/11

Post by theplayer »

Took out King 3 GW's ago in my WC as I needed differentials to try and catch up. Zaha came in and got 6 points over 3 GW's compared to King's 21. And that's with an extra game. :lol:

Pirlo's Beard
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Pirlo's Beard »

...but then again, too many to mention. :roll:

Ruth_NZ
Grumpy Old Gorilla

Post by Ruth_NZ »

Yeah. I see what you did there. :lol:

gallus
Grumpy Old Man

Post by gallus »

My main regret is planning my BB chip weeks in advance. You see, I had a great plan. And then two players who were very important to my plan got injured. Bad luck? Maybe. But honestly, it was my fault for not being flexible enough.

Mo Bot
Dumbledore
FS Record: Inaugural Last Man Standing. FISO Fantasy Eurovision champ 2012. World #1 in UFPL for a whole week

Post by Mo Bot »

My last two transfers. Siggy to Ozil. Negredo to Gabbiadini

math!
Dumbledore
FS Record: Yes

Post by math! »

I already regret switching Heaton/Jak for Pickford. Especially since I had both before their price rises.

YourMumsModesty
Treebeard
FS Record: 2019/20: 33,413

Post by YourMumsModesty »

Agree on Firmino, I wouldn't be surprised if Lallana turned up on the scoresheet either.

I don't want either of Swansea or Hull to go down now but Swansea have the fixtures to stay up and Hull really don't, so I'm regretting not having Sigurdsson already.

I guess you just have to hope they don't do too much damage.

tarkens
Grumpy Old Man

Post by tarkens »

i regret getting rid of King few weeks ago, cause now I have to pay 0.3 or 0.4 more than I initially got him for and I could definitely use that extra cash somewhere else...

and not trusting Hazard some time ago, I gor rid of him after GW22, i got him for probably something like 9.9 and now i'm paying 10.5

Paulista
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Paulista »

Whilst getting swept up in WC and BB fever and immersing myself in various threads on these subjects, you would think that Costa, Kane, Jesus, and Gabbiadini are the only four strikers left in the game. It's so easy to forget that players like Lukaku (who I sold) are still owned by 41.7% and a couple of goals against swa / WAT could be quite damaging.

I also sold Coutinho/Firmino who are still owned by roughly 25% between them.

ZeroRemorse
Grumpy Old Man

Post by ZeroRemorse »

Gee where do I start. Getting rid of Sanchez before his haul vs West Ham hurts the most. I literally traded him out the night before. Having faith in Stones and Redmond for so long was shit. Trading Kane out in frustration after he blanked vs Burnley and Hull (H).

More recently, I traded Pedro out for Sane since Pedro have Everton (A) & thought Sane was nailed to get points vs Boro.

tarkens
Grumpy Old Man

Post by tarkens »

ZeroRemorse wrote:Trading Kane out in frustration after he blanked vs Burnley and Hull (H).
oh yeah I'd like to add that to my Hazard and King mistakes too

Ruth_NZ
Grumpy Old Gorilla

Post by Ruth_NZ »

YourMumsModesty wrote:I don't want either of Swansea or Hull to go down now but Swansea have the fixtures to stay up and Hull really don't, so I'm regretting not having Sigurdsson already.

I guess you just have to hope they don't do too much damage.
I think Hull do have the fixtures to stay up actually. They are +2 points, don't forget, and have Sunderland at the KC this weekend. I wouldn't put it past them to beat Palace after that and then Palace would be right in the mire. Although I suspect that game may be a draw which would probably be enough to make Palace safe. Meanwhile Swansea really must take points against Everton this weekend or it may be too big a hill to climb.

But yes, you just have to hope - or to keep some of those at the expense of DGW players. I was very inclined to keep Coutinho myself until his injury gave me enough excuse (or good reason) to remove him on wildcard. And I have kept Maguire and added Fernandez rather than Stephens. So I have not been as extreme as some.

YourMumsModesty
Treebeard
FS Record: 2019/20: 33,413

Post by YourMumsModesty »

Yeah, Swansea have to win tomorrow; if they don't, they're going to be hoping for a Palace win next week which might not happen. Well, I suppose a draw could be enough but that would be playing with fire.

There's a few ways it could go to the final day as well. This is all set up nicely for anyone that does still have Sigurdsson.

Ruth_NZ
Grumpy Old Gorilla

Post by Ruth_NZ »

YourMumsModesty wrote:There's a few ways it could go to the final day as well. This is all set up nicely for anyone that does still have Sigurdsson.
Somehow I think it will. And I have Sigurdsson pencilled-in as my transfer for GW38 (or one of them if I have 2 FTs).

Owsler
Dumbledore

Post by Owsler »

I regret having 3 players from any team. It's too painful when all 3 blank at the start of a GW :cry: :lol:

Joccki_10
Grumpy Old Joker
FS Record: 16/17: 55 OR, 1 FISO Forum, 1 NLD and FISO Cup Winner

Post by Joccki_10 »

Not even considering going without Kane on my wildcard this week. Could've done Vardy/Monreal instead of Kane/Stephens.

Regrets, hindsight... It won't get us anywhere I guess.

Sutter Kane
Dumbledore
FS Record: Unknown.

Post by Sutter Kane »

Kane was a must have without hindsight imo. I had the opportunity to own Sane and Cech this week instead of Eriksen and Pickford but I didn't.

The biggest regret however is not being able to time getting even half of the hauls of Kane, Sanchez and Hazard this season. I think it's just best for me to stick with the big guns all season and rely on the rest of the squad with transfers, as I always get those premium players for games against so called weak opposition and they seem to not raise their game in those fixtures and be brilliant in the tough looking games. This is a serious weakness of my game that costs me unspeakable amounts of points each season.

Valeron
FISOhead

Post by Valeron »

The King/Zaha case is a classic example of a sound move that went horribly wrong.

I'm not happy with my rank but I have no regrets, just haven't had the run of the balls.

I do agree with keeping patience with the premiums, Sutter Kane. Unless one is obviously playing in a more defensive position or something like that. Like KDB, Silva this season.

I'd like to see a study on big players doing just as well in their tough fixtures, I feel the same frustration that fixture planning seems to count for nowt.

Resonare
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Resonare »

Tbh I am just grateful that I am where I am. Costa and Sanchez both got me pretty badly this year, that alone was enough to kill anyone's rank because of their ownership. I've had over half my team injured and 3+ players injured for several weeks in a row back in autumn/winter and I regret having Cedric and Bellerin in my team shortly after and picking Evans over McAuley, Tadic over Redmond etc (I know, cue the violins, right? :P )

Despite this if I can hit a decent rank I will happily take it as a triumph over not so kind fortune, but of course the player I think has a lot to say about it is Lukaku who has a habit of scoring big right when no one owns him. A big haul from him could devastate late WC users.

math!
Dumbledore
FS Record: Yes

Post by math! »

Bringing in Vertonghen instead of Holding because I was worried about Holding's minutes.

maddocio
Treebeard

Post by maddocio »

Bringing in Koscielny instead of Monreal because I could afford him, however I think that could reasonably qualify as an example of bad luck :)

Ruth_NZ
Grumpy Old Gorilla

Post by Ruth_NZ »

Ruth_NZ wrote:I'm wondering which players people are losing on wildcard may do that this time? The Liverpool midfielders (Coutinho/Firmino) jump out immediately; they have SOT whm MID over the last 3 weeks. So you wouldn't be surprised at good returns from them.

Bournemouth are another team with good fixtures (STO BUR lei) and they are finishing the season on a high. A lot have kept King but Daniels? He could go well.

I'd imagine most will be losing Heaton in favour of a DGW GK (Forster, Caballero, Cech) but with WBA bou WHM Burnley have CS potential for sure (especially in the home games). Lukaku will be another popular transfer out but with Watford at Goodison in GW37 he could easily be the highest-scoring SGW player.

And then we have Hull and Swansea. Hull have SUN cpl TOT (so GW36 is especially good) and Swansea have EVE sun WBA. So some great fixtures there and, more important, those two are fighting for their lives. Teams sometimes do extraordinary things at the end of the season when they are in that situation. The good thing is that their defenders are cheap enough to keep on wildcard (and would actually be playable for a GW37 BB); I have retained Maguire and Fernandez. But I do fancy Sigurdsson in GW38 if the relegation battle is still open and my wildcard leaves the possibility open to make that move then. Siggy could definitely be one that hurts the wildcarders in any case.

Any others? I wonder how many regrets there will be in a few days' time. :!: :?:
I guess you could have added Palace to that - Benteke and Zaha both did well in GW37 too.
Last edited by Ruth_NZ on 14 May 2017, 19:18, edited 2 times in total.

Turd Ferguson
FISOhead

Post by Turd Ferguson »

Took out coutinho for hazard on my wildcard. Sigh.

Ruth_NZ
Grumpy Old Gorilla

Post by Ruth_NZ »

Turd Ferguson wrote:Took out coutinho for hazard on my wildcard. Sigh.
I took him out too. You could kind of know something like that would happen. :?

Daryltan2007

Post by Daryltan2007 »

I just took him out for Sane. That has to be a hell lot worst

Turd Ferguson
FISOhead

Post by Turd Ferguson »

Ruth_NZ wrote:
Turd Ferguson wrote:Took out coutinho for hazard on my wildcard. Sigh.
I took him out too. You could kind of know something like that would happen. :?
Ya it's almost inevitable due to randomness that a couple of single gameweekers will have better scores than the doublers. Still hard to stomach when it's a straight swap and you're bringing in someone with a higher price and a higher score for the year that should justify that price. I was behind by 7 points in my ML at the start of the gameweek and hazard and alli were my two big differentials. My higher team value is actually backfiring when I needed it most.

MoSe
Dumbledore
FS Record: FISODAS CUP Winner Season 25
FISO H2H Winner: 15/16 Div2 - 16/17 Div1
FISO Mirror: 16/17 PL Winner

Post by MoSe »

Hmmm....
I had chosen Firmino over Coutinho in GW31, and at few times I was regretting it a bit
I then swapped him out in WC36
I chose Firmino IIRC despite the extra 0.2m or so because I thought he was a bit more "reliable"
In the 5 gw they scored
Firm: 5 5 11 2 3 = 26p
Cout: 7 8 3 7 1 = 26p
I'd have swapped Coutinho out in WC 36 as well, despite them being decent sgwers, I thought there were dgwers with a better combined pts expectation anyway.

So, should I feel "happy" now, in the sense that "had I renounced" to Coutinho I'd have lost his haul, whilst in renouncing to Firmino I did the right thing, considering his absence? :?

Ruth_NZ
Grumpy Old Gorilla

Post by Ruth_NZ »

Turd Ferguson wrote:My higher team value is actually backfiring when I needed it most.
It really can. I took over looking after my nephew's dead team in GW15, it had a budget that was down below 98m. It has crept up since but is still only 101.6m now. Anyway, the selection has to reflect that and one result was keeping Coutinho rather than getting Sanchez. In fact he has 4 SGW players this week (no BB) and 3 of them - Coutinho, King and Fernandez - have done quite well.
MoSe wrote:So, should I feel "happy" now, in the sense that "had I renounced" to Coutinho I'd have lost his haul, whilst in renouncing to Firmino I did the right thing, considering his absence? :?
Yes. You should feel happy. :)

I'm not moaning about losing Coutinho, by the way. Just philosophising a bit about how to get the balance right between SGW and DGW players. I think with the big DGW being so late this season there was less reason to keep SGW players, though; essentially you'd only be losing the likes of Coutinho for 2 or 3 weeks. I actually had it in mind to get Coutinho back for my GW38 transfer but that would feel like chasing missed points now. :lol:

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Fantasy PremierLeague.com (FPL)”