To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

GW 28 whos going full bore?

A Fantasy Football forum for news on fantasy football games run by the Premierleague (FPL).

GW28 players?

1-3
1%
4-6
11%
7-8
47%
9-10
27%
11+
14%

Total votes: 161

Poison Idea
Treebeard
FS Record: Decent

Re: GW 28 whos going full bore?

Post by Poison Idea »

XI (-4)

Jakupovic
Olsson Lovren Williams Funes Mori
Mane Firmino Sigurdsson Antonio
Lukaku Carroll

Undecided on (C). So much emphasis on this GW in recent weeks, it's bound to backfire spectacularly. No plan B for GW29 either.

I Am Ville
Red & Blue Braces
FS Record: FPL Best 5,025 (16/17)

Post by I Am Ville »

-8 (effectively a -4) for 10 men (plus Amat)

Foster
Baines, coleman, amat
Antonio, mane, firminio, siggy, morrison
Lukaku, llorente

Carlos Kickaball
Dumbledore

Post by Carlos Kickaball »

-12, to field 11.

Stemania
FISO Jedi Knight
Location: On the Iron Throne of xG, the seat of The Crown Prince of the Stat Perverts. Or if not, in the STC!
FS Record: Best: TFF 321st. FPL 129th. FFS Career HoF Peak 2nd (Live 1st). Ability since lost.

Re: RE: Re: GW 28 whos going full bore?

Post by Stemania »

Carlos Kickaball wrote:-12, to field 11.
The minute you walked in the joint, I could see you were a man of distinction. :wink:

Carlos Kickaball
Dumbledore

Post by Carlos Kickaball »

Stop flirting Stem, it makes me feel uncomfortable.

Stemania
FISO Jedi Knight
Location: On the Iron Throne of xG, the seat of The Crown Prince of the Stat Perverts. Or if not, in the STC!
FS Record: Best: TFF 321st. FPL 129th. FFS Career HoF Peak 2nd (Live 1st). Ability since lost.

Post by Stemania »

I'm just glad there's some other idiot going for a trio of Liverpool mids. Heaton masterclass ahoy...

Pirlo's Beard
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Pirlo's Beard »

Stemania wrote:I'm just glad there's some other idiot going for a trio of Liverpool mids.
Make that a trio of idiots. :wink:

The Real Slim Shady
Dumbledore
FS Record: 1,465th in FPL 05/06

Post by The Real Slim Shady »

Just did a FT to put in Lukaku for Ibra and now have 7, can't understand people taking 8 point hits just to field 11..

Football Hero
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Football Hero »

The Real Slim Shady wrote:Just did a FT to put in Lukaku for Ibra and now have 7, can't understand people taking 8 point hits just to field 11..
I guess they see it as a guaranteed return of 6 points if they do three transfers for -8. This means that it only costs them 2 points for the three players, and there is a reasonable chance of at least one of the three player's doing something and working out as a profitable trade overall.

Mav3rick
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FPL: 1082, 1201, 1800, 10203

The stats are dark and full of errors.

Post by Mav3rick »

Football Hero wrote:
The Real Slim Shady wrote:Just did a FT to put in Lukaku for Ibra and now have 7, can't understand people taking 8 point hits just to field 11..
I guess they see it as a guaranteed return of 6 points if they do three transfers for -8. This means that it only costs them 2 points for the three players, and there is a reasonable chance of at least one of the three player's doing something and working out as a profitable trade overall.
Except one of those transfers could probably be done for free, so it's just two separate -4s for an effective -2 each. It can be justified though, either in fund moving, shifting dead wood or picking longer term options.

I personally am struggling with defensive changes but will probably take a -4 to shift Sterling plus one other and maybe another -4 if Phillips is out.

Sutter Kane
Dumbledore
FS Record: Unknown.

Post by Sutter Kane »

Mav3rick wrote:Except one of those transfers could probably be done for free, so it's just two separate -4s for an effective -2 each. It can be justified though, either in fund moving, shifting dead wood or picking longer term options.
Yes indeed. Problem is when you own players you would rather keep! I have Eriksen, Alli and Hazard, all of which I want to keep. I'd like a Liv mid (although I'd struggle with picking one) in for Hazard for a -4 points but not sure I want that Liv mid long term. Only GW31 looks really tasty in the near future.

So it's just 10 for me, Phillips included.

Sutter Kane
Dumbledore

Post by Sutter Kane »

5 defenders though... :lol:

Sutter Kane
Dumbledore

Post by Sutter Kane »

5-2-2 formation and that includes Phillips...

Mav3rick
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Mav3rick »

Sutter Kane wrote:
Mav3rick wrote:Except one of those transfers could probably be done for free, so it's just two separate -4s for an effective -2 each. It can be justified though, either in fund moving, shifting dead wood or picking longer term options.
Yes indeed. Problem is when you own players you would rather keep! I have Eriksen, Alli and Hazard, all of which I want to keep. I'd like a Liv mid (although I'd struggle with picking one) in for Hazard for a -4 points but not sure I want that Liv mid long term. Only GW31 looks really tasty in the near future.

So it's just 10 for me, Phillips included.
Very similar to me, I don't want to move Eriksen or Kane, I'm on the fence about Alonso and Holebas and ideally I'd even wait a bit on Aguero but I think I'll need the funds. Siggy will come in for Sterling, and I'm thinking that Amat to Funes Mori will be acceptable too.

After that, i find the -4s hard to justify unless part of a grander stratgeic approach, but I'm very aware that the wildcard window is almost here so time for longer term strategies to pay off is limited.

I think it took about 6 or 7 games for Heaton to gain back the -4 i took on him early in the season. Over 5 weeks or so, any moves from spurs to Liverpool etc could easily not be worth even the -2.

Football Hero
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Football Hero »

Mav3rick wrote:
Football Hero wrote:
Except one of those transfers could probably be done for free, so it's just two separate -4s for an effective -2 each. It can be justified though, either in fund moving, shifting dead wood or picking longer term options.

I personally am struggling with defensive changes but will probably take a -4 to shift Sterling plus one other and maybe another -4 if Phillips is out.
Yeah, but which transfer(s) are the points hits? Because the distinction will be arbitrary, then there's a case to be made for the free transfer or two free transfers to be rolled into the pot when evaluating the hits.

Also, sometimes a hit can be for one week, and other times it can be for a period of games. This is where I struggle quite a lot in terms of evaluating the value of points hits and it's quite frustrating when you don't have a definitive answer because perhaps there isn't one?

Mav3rick
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Mav3rick »

Football Hero wrote: I guess they see it as a guaranteed return of 6 points if they do three transfers for -8. This means that it only costs them 2 points for the three players
Mav3rick wrote: Except one of those transfers could probably be done for free, so it's just two separate -4s for an effective -2 each. It can be justified though, either in fund moving, shifting dead wood or picking longer term options.
Football Hero wrote: Yeah, but which transfer(s) are the points hits? Because the distinction will be arbitrary, then there's a case to be made for the free transfer or two free transfers to be rolled into the pot when evaluating the hits.
I actually think there usually is a definite order in transfers. Much like how you assess that Mane is a better captaincy choice than Lukaku, you know what your optimum transfer in is, and that's your first and free transfer. The only cloudyness is around transfers that require funds to be freed, then you can view it as a block of transfers if you wish and it becomes a bit harder (or probably easier in this case) to judge if a hit is worth it.
Last edited by Mav3rick on 10 Mar 2017, 13:09, edited 2 times in total.

Lucky
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Lucky »

I almost brought Firmino for a (-4). But he seems doubtful according to Klopp at pc

Firmino faces fitness check
Liverpool v Burnley (Sunday, 16:00 GMT)
Posted at
13:37
Injury news from Jurgen Klopp ahead of Liverpool's home league match with Burnley on Sunday. Jordan Henderson and Daniel Sturridge are not available, while Roberto Firmino will need a check.
"He couldn't train. We have to wait and see," Klopp says of his Brazilian playmaker.

Aldershot Rejects
Dumbledore
FS Record: 5th Metro (2010-11); 146 - Sky (2015-16); 218 - Sky (2014-15); 386 - Sky (2020-21); 636 - FPL (2017-18); last 16 Sky Cup (2018-19)

Post by Aldershot Rejects »

Lucky wrote:I almost brought Firmino for a (-4). But he seems doubtful according to Klopp at pc

Firmino faces fitness check
Liverpool v Burnley (Sunday, 16:00 GMT)
Posted at
13:37
Injury news from Jurgen Klopp ahead of Liverpool's home league match with Burnley on Sunday. Jordan Henderson and Daniel Sturridge are not available, while Roberto Firmino will need a check.
"He couldn't train. We have to wait and see," Klopp says of his Brazilian playmaker.
Great; bought him in last night for a hit. Sounds like 4 points potentially down the drain.

Cornish Gooner
Treebeard

Post by Cornish Gooner »

Klopp on Firmino "He couldn't train until now" do we think that Implies he trained today?
Yes I brought him in for a hit :roll:

Football Hero
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Football Hero »

Mav3rick wrote:
Football Hero wrote: I guess they see it as a guaranteed return of 6 points if they do three transfers for -8. This means that it only costs them 2 points for the three players
Mav3rick wrote: Except one of those transfers could probably be done for free, so it's just two separate -4s for an effective -2 each. It can be justified though, either in fund moving, shifting dead wood or picking longer term options.
Football Hero wrote: Yeah, but which transfer(s) are the points hits? Because the distinction will be arbitrary, then there's a case to be made for the free transfer or two free transfers to be rolled into the pot when evaluating the hits.
I actually think there usually is a definite order in transfers. Much like how you assess that Mane is a better captaincy choice than Lukaku, you know what your optimum transfer in is, and that's your first and free transfer. The only cloudyness is around transfers that require funds to be freed, then you can view it as a block of transfers if you wish and it becomes a bit harder (or probably easier in this case) to judge if a hit is worth it.
Your first transfer causes the second transfer to be a points hit though, so it is involved in the permutations. You could even argue that your free transfer from the week before is also now involved because without it, both of your transfers in this current week would have been for free and therefore both transfers could be done even if they only gave a marginal points gain, (as you would be considering them as both free transfers and so a small gain would be fine).

I think really the best way to look at it is to view all of your transfers over the season as being part of the same transfer pool, and that if you take your 35 free transfers and say 10 extra transfers, then this will cost you 40 points, and each of your 45 transfers has a tax of 40/45 = 0.89 points per transfer. I don't see any other way around looking at points hits fairly and objectively.

Of course you wouldn't know your transfer tax value until all is said and done by the end of the season, but for most serious players, I would say the tax value would be between 0.80 and 1.00 points per transfer, so essentially each transfer that you make, just needs to exceed this value in points expectation, (but of course that will also be the case for all of the transfers that you do, including the ones that you label as 'free' transfers throughout the season).

Mav3rick
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Mav3rick »

Football Hero wrote: Your first transfer causes the second transfer to be a points hit though, so it is involved in the permutations. You could even argue that your free transfer from the week before is also now involved because without it, both of your transfers in this current week would have been for free and therefore both transfers could be done even if they only gave a marginal points gain, (as you would be considering them as both free transfers and so a small gain would be fine).
I don't think you can say that your free transfer causes the second to be a hit and therefore they are linked :lol: I mean, obviously it does, but it's still two separate events. The fact is that you prioritise one transfer because it has a better likley outcome (in your opinion) and the second one was not chosen so it is an optional transfer and incurs the -4. Again, the only way they are linked is through fund freeing, such as needing to sell Aguero, but even in that scenario you should take the position that selling Aguero is the optimal move (the only possible one which makes it the optimal move) and so the second transfer is still optional, and is still a -4 on it's own.

I'm not saying hits are bad, certainly not in the short GWs, it's just that in most situations they are each still able to be judged objectively and each has an individual cost.
Football Hero wrote: I think really the best way to look at it is to view all of your transfers over the season as being part of the same transfer pool, and that if you take your 35 free transfers and say 10 extra transfers, then this will cost you 40 points, and each of your 45 transfers has a tax of 40/45 = 0.89 points per transfer. I don't see any other way around looking at points hits fairly and objectively.
There's no way I could even contemplate how to judge a sequence of 5 or 6 transfers, let alone a whole season's worth. There are just way too many moving parts.

Football Hero
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Football Hero »

Mav3rick wrote:
Football Hero wrote: Your first transfer causes the second transfer to be a points hit though, so it is involved in the permutations. You could even argue that your free transfer from the week before is also now involved because without it, both of your transfers in this current week would have been for free and therefore both transfers could be done even if they only gave a marginal points gain, (as you would be considering them as both free transfers and so a small gain would be fine).
I don't think you can say that your free transfer causes the second to be a hit and therefore they are linked :lol: I mean, obviously it does, but it's still two separate events. The fact is that you prioritise one transfer because it has a better likley outcome (in your opinion) and the second one was not chosen so it is an optional transfer and incurs the -4. Again, the only way they are linked is through fund freeing, such as needing to sell Aguero, but even in that scenario you should take the position that selling Aguero is the optimal move (the only possible one which makes it the optimal move) and so the second transfer is still optional, and is still a -4 on it's own.
Football Hero wrote: I think really the best way to look at it is to view all of your transfers over the season as being part of the same transfer pool, and that if you take your 35 free transfers and say 10 extra transfers, then this will cost you 40 points, and each of your 45 transfers has a tax of 40/45 = 0.89 points per transfer. I don't see any other way around looking at points hits fairly and objectively.
There's no way I could even contemplate how to judge a sequence of 5 or 6 transfers, let alone a whole season's worth. There are just way too many moving parts.
What I am saying is, that if you can see a gain of greater than 1.00 points on a transfer, and you aren't planning on making more than 46 transfers for the season, then you should take it.

So for this week, assuming you are on course to make less than 47 transfers for the season currently, then transferring a non-playing player to another player that has a game in GW28 and so therefore has an expectation of at least 2.00 points, then you should do this transfer, because the tax value is actually only 0.96 points, (44/46).

This system isn't perfect of course and has flaws, but it attempts to judge transfer hits as coming out of your seasonal transfer allowance, rather than trying to judge individual '-4's' against individual gameweeks.

TheoRiginal
FISOhead
FS Record: Virginal

Post by TheoRiginal »

Football Hero wrote:What I am saying is, that if you can see a gain of greater than 1.00 points on a transfer, and you aren't planning on making more than 46 transfers for the season, then you should take it.
Ah, the great Average Cost Fallacy! (Otherwise known as throwing good money after bad)

Marginal Cost is what drives informed, logical decisions.

Football Hero
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Football Hero »

TheoRiginal wrote:
Football Hero wrote:What I am saying is, that if you can see a gain of greater than 1.00 points on a transfer, and you aren't planning on making more than 46 transfers for the season, then you should take it.
Ah, the great Average Cost Fallacy! (Otherwise known as throwing good money after bad)

Marginal Cost is what drives informed, logical decisions.
Damn it. I hate it when I fall foul of a fallacy.

Mav3rick
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Mav3rick »

Football Hero wrote: What I am saying is, that if you can see a gain of greater than 1.00 points on a transfer, and you aren't planning on making more than 46 transfers for the season, then you should take it.

So for this week, assuming you are on course to make less than 47 transfers for the season currently, then transferring a non-playing player to another player that has a game in GW28 and so therefore has an expectation of at least 2.00 points, then you should do this transfer, because the tax value is actually only 0.96 points, (44/46).

This system isn't perfect of course and has flaws, but it attempts to judge transfer hits as coming out of your seasonal transfer allowance, rather than trying to judge individual '-4's' against individual gameweeks.
Well, no, what you were saying was that a -8 this week is effectively a -2, which is something I don't believe to be correct, at least not in the majority of cases:
Football Hero wrote:6 points if they do three transfers for -8. This means that it only costs them 2 points for the three players, and there is a reasonable chance of at least one of the three player's doing something and working out as a profitable trade overall.
It's probably correct to say that if you, say, had to sell Aguero in order to buy Mane and Coutinho or something similar to that, but even there you don't have to take the first or second hit if each individually looks a bad play based on your circumstances. Hits aren't bad, they just need to be thought about sensibly and judged correctly on their merits. As an example, I could take a hit this week to replace Phillips or I could leave him, get 0 and get Sanchez next week. That is a conditional decision and I don't view the -8 as all being in it together for three moves. Equally, I would happily make 5 transfers if I thought each one was a genuinely good move that works for this GW and moving forward into the time I want to wildcard.

If you want to pivot the debate that's fine, but I've nothing to add to the particular discussion you're now framing, except to say that I don't believe there is an optimal number of hits (or amount of "transfer tax" - which by the way you've completely lost me on :lol:), each one is an individual case and I can perfectly imagine scenarios where it's optimal to make zero transfers all season, just as much as it might be optimal to make a -8 every week.

TheBigLewandowski
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: OR 1,259 2016/17

Post by TheBigLewandowski »

I'll have 10 playing hopefully.
If Firmino doesn't make it, 9, but that should still be OK.
Not taking any hits.

Football Hero
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Football Hero »

Mav3rick wrote:
Football Hero wrote: What I am saying is, that if you can see a gain of greater than 1.00 points on a transfer, and you aren't planning on making more than 46 transfers for the season, then you should take it.

Well, no, what you were saying was that a -8 this week is effectively a -2, which is something I don't believe to be correct, at least not in the majority of cases:
Football Hero wrote:6 points if they do three transfers for -8. This means that it only costs them 2 points for the three players, and there is a reasonable chance of at least one of the three player's doing something and working out as a profitable trade overall.
It's probably correct to say that if you, say, had to sell Aguero in order to buy Mane and Coutinho or something similar to that, but even there you don't have to take the first or second hit if each individually looks a bad play based on your circumstances. Hits aren't bad, they just need to be thought about sensibly and judged correctly on their merits. As an example, I could take a hit this week to replace Phillips or I could leave him, get 0 and get Sanchez next week. That is a conditional decision and I don't view the -8 as all being in it together for three moves. Equally, I would happily make 5 transfers if I thought each one was a genuinely good move that works for this GW and moving forward into the time I want to wildcard.

If you want to pivot the debate that's fine, but I've nothing to add to the particular discussion you're now framing, except to say that I don't believe there is an optimal number of hits (or amount of "transfer tax" - which by the way you've completely lost me on :lol:), each one is an individual case and I can perfectly imagine scenarios where it's optimal to make zero transfers all season, just as much as it might be optimal to make a -8 every week.
There's also the issue where you can see a transfer hit for GW28 for instance that is +EV, so you do the hit and feel good about yourself because it is indeed a profitable hit, but actually the reason around you needing to do the hit in the first place could have been because you didn't plan well enough for GW28 in the first place, (as you greedily prioritised GW25 and GW26 say); and in that scenario it was technically an avoidable hit if you'd planned better.

There is also the scenario where sometimes you are forced into an additional hit because you were unlucky and a player got injured and you find out just before the deadline and need to take action and remove them whereas you wouldn't have removed them if they hadn't succumbed to a secret injury.

So extra transfers and hits can come about for so many reasons and it is very difficult to quantify things I guess.

TheoRiginal
FISOhead
FS Record: Virginal

Post by TheoRiginal »

Football Hero wrote:So extra transfers and hits can come about for so many reasons and it is very difficult to quantify things I guess.
By George, I think he's got it!

Mav3rick
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Mav3rick »

Considering that I was planning for this blank week a good while back, I am rather disappointed to be looking at 7 + Amat without hits :lol:

Phillips, Sterling and the Aguero TC have rather scuppered my planned 9 without hits initial strategy, so I think I'll be looking at Phillips :arrow: Sigurdsson and Aguero :arrow: Caroll to field 8+Amat (-4). I'm also looking at the merits of Amat :arrow: ?, who could play this week and get me some defensive cover over the coming weeks, as well as pondering a move on Sterling for a potential -12 in total.

Notned
FISO Knight

Post by Notned »

Mav3rick wrote:Considering that I was planning for this blank week a good while back, I am rather disappointed to be looking at 7 + Amat without hits :lol:

Phillips, Sterling and the Aguero TC have rather scuppered my planned 9 without hits initial strategy, so I think I'll be looking at Phillips :arrow: Sigurdsson and Aguero :arrow: Caroll to field 8+Amat (-4). I'm also looking at the merits of Amat :arrow: ?, who could play this week and get me some defensive cover over the coming weeks, as well as pondering a move on Sterling for a potential -12 in total.
Amat :arrow: someone like Robertson/Maguire is surely worth it given it is essentially a -2 for this week and gives more flexibility going forward?

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Fantasy PremierLeague.com (FPL)”