To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

GW24 Points - A germane pun: Did the coalman deliver for you? Or was it ***king useless, a load of cack?

A Fantasy Football forum for news on fantasy football games run by the Premierleague (FPL).
Carlos Kickaball
Dumbledore

Re: GW24 Points - Did you have a terrible week, or did you captain Lukaku?

Post by Carlos Kickaball »

Stemania wrote:69 (-4) with Ibra to go. Kane not getting anywhere near the captaincy bar set by Lukaku, but very pleased nonetheless. :D
I wondered how you had got such a good score, needless to say I wasn't very pleased with how much your similar defenders outscored mine by. :shock:

Ruth_NZ
Grumpy Old Gorilla

Post by Ruth_NZ »

TheoRiginal wrote:I shall be less obtuse, or perhaps more coprophilic, in future...
Blimey, I had to google that. I now wish I hadn't. :shock: I now know what a "Cleveland Steamer" is for god's sake.

Who exactly are you accusing of a fecal obsession anyway? I'd like to point out that I ignore mine in the proper English manner. :?

As it happens I thought the original title was fine. A dry humour is not to everyone's taste though. The tradition on here is for some contrived and distended punwork to be concocted each week. MoSe enters the results into a spreadsheet and at the end of the season a winner is declared. One of the most prestigious of the FISO annual awards actually. The only one I ever got was "most annoying poster". :roll:

But look, I captained Lukaku. So I'm happy anyway. :P

TheoRiginal
FISOhead
FS Record: Virginal

Post by TheoRiginal »

Ruth_NZ wrote:
TheoRiginal wrote:I shall be less obtuse, or perhaps more coprophilic, in future...
Who exactly are you accusing of a fecal obsession anyway? I'd like to point out that I ignore mine in the proper English manner. :?
Well, I find it difficult making up a pun relating to the guy who got us 42 points this week (can't really ignore the biggest event of the GameWeek) without descending to toilet humour.

Perhaps it's a result of my mother refusing to have that appalling book, "Winnie The Pooh" in the house.

PS Apologies to everyone else who also had to look up the disgusting word . . .

TheoRiginal
FISOhead

Post by TheoRiginal »

Ruth_NZ wrote: MoSe enters the results into a spreadsheet and at the end of the season a winner is declared. One of the most prestigious of the FISO annual awards actually. The only one I ever got was "most annoying poster". :roll:
Where can I find the awards? Assuming they are not supersecret . . .

gallus
Grumpy Old Man

Post by gallus »

Ruth_NZ wrote:
As it happens I thought the original title was fine. A dry humour is not to everyone's taste though. The tradition on here is for some contrived and distended punwork to be concocted each week. MoSe enters the results into a spreadsheet and at the end of the season a winner is declared. One of the most prestigious of the FISO annual awards actually. The only one I ever got was "most annoying poster". :roll:
I'm pretty sure you're not winning that this year. :wink:

TheoRiginal
FISOhead

Post by TheoRiginal »

gallus wrote:
Ruth_NZ wrote:
I'm pretty sure you're not winning that this year. :wink:
As with the US election, however, the winner might not be the one that wins the (un)popular vote.

Football Hero
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Football Hero »

Oxford NZ wrote:
Football Hero wrote:
Ruth_NZ wrote:72, Valencia and Zlatan to come, Barnes (8) and Alonso (8) staring at me from my bench.

Seems to be a big swing week. Glad I'm relatively on the right side of it. Could have done with a Boro goal though.
Not quite sure why you benched Alonso to be honest. Isn't he worth about 8.5M? He's an 'every game player' imo considering Chelsea have such a great CS record and he has an awesome attacking threat for a 'defender'. He was a couple of minutes away from getting 14 or 15 points, so you got off lightly there.
Have a look back at GW20, The outcome was different then. Chelsea got beaten for the first time in ages and Alonso scored 1 for his 8.5m.
Also Alonso was also a referee away from a red card today. It was a good goal IMO but a different ref could have sent him off.
You have to pick each game week individually and play the best players.
It is a lottery if the best predictions pan out or not, but that is the game.
I picked that Chelsea would win this GW and Arsenal would score so Alonso was not an option for me.
Tactically I have learnt a lot from watching the other mangers like Ruth nz. Many thanks :)
Presumably you're talking about the header that Alonso could have got the red card for. No way would he ever be sent off for that, there was two players going for the ball and he got to the ball first and played the ball cleanly before he got clattered by Bellerin who was late in his challenge for the ball, (as evidenced by the fact that Bellerin didn't get the ball). If anything, Bellerin was the player who fouled Alonso, but because Chelsea scored from it the ref played the advantage and allowed the goal to stand, (as he should).

The fact that Bellerin came off worse injury-wise from the collision is irrelevant, he was last to the ball and that is not Alonso's fault. The ball was there to be won and Alonso went for it. No referee would ever send him off for that, and if Bellerin had not gone off injured we would not even be debating this.

Joccki_10
Grumpy Old Joker
FS Record: 16/17: 55 OR, 1 FISO Forum, 1 NLD and FISO Cup Winner

GW24 Points - A germane pun: Did the coalman deliver for you? Or was it ***king useless, a load of cack?

Post by Joccki_10 »

Football Hero wrote:
Oxford NZ wrote:Have a look back at GW20, The outcome was different then. Chelsea got beaten for the first time in ages and Alonso scored 1 for his 8.5m.
Also Alonso was also a referee away from a red card today. It was a good goal IMO but a different ref could have sent him off.
I picked that Chelsea would win this GW and Arsenal would score so Alonso was not an option for me.
Tactically I have learnt a lot from watching the other mangers like Ruth nz. Many thanks :)
Presumably you're talking about the header that Alonso could have got the red card for. No way would he ever be sent off for that, there was two players going for the ball and he got to the ball first and played the ball cleanly before he got clattered by Bellerin who was late in his challenge for the ball, (as evidenced by the fact that Bellerin didn't get the ball). If anything, Bellerin was the player who fouled Alonso, but because Chelsea scored from it the ref played the advantage and allowed the goal to stand, (as he should).

The fact that Bellerin came off worse injury-wise from the collision is irrelevant, he was last to the ball and that is not Alonso's fault. The ball was there to be won and Alonso went for it. No referee would ever send him off for that, and if Bellerin had not gone off injured we would not even be debating this.
This must be a joke, right?

Football Hero
Grumpy Old Man

Re: GW24 Points - A germane pun: Did the coalman deliver for you? Or was it ***king useless, a load of cack?

Post by Football Hero »

Joccki_10 wrote:
Football Hero wrote:
Oxford NZ wrote:Have a look back at GW20, The outcome was different then. Chelsea got beaten for the first time in ages and Alonso scored 1 for his 8.5m.

Why? I saw Alonso go for the header, his eyes were on the ball and he was obviously trying to score a goal, (because what player wouldn't be when they are four yards out with the goal gaping in front of them?)

So it's clear that Alonso is obviously making a genuine attempt to go for the ball, this is component one behind my rationale.

Now component two is that Alonso does indeed get to the ball first as he clearly strikes the ball into the net, (showing that he was indeed justified in going for the ball in the first place because he calculated clearly that he could get to the ball). Bellerin made a late attempt to get to the ball because he didn't actually get to the ball and make contact with it in any way.

No referee would ever send off Alonso when taking into account component's one and two. The referee would not have any doubt in his mind that Alonso was trying to do anything wrong or malicious to his opponent so there is no reason to issue a red card. Players collide innocently all the time in football matches, (like a keeper rushing out and a striker lunging for the ball, there is often no malice there and both players are just trying to win the ball in these situations, and the Alonso/Bellerin situation is no different to this).

Joccki_10
Grumpy Old Joker

Re: GW24 Points - A germane pun: Did the coalman deliver for you? Or was it ***king useless, a load of cack?

Post by Joccki_10 »

Football Hero wrote:
Joccki_10 wrote:
Football Hero wrote:

Why? I saw Alonso go for the header, his eyes were on the ball and he was obviously trying to score a goal, (because what player wouldn't be when they are four yards out with the goal gaping in front of them?)

So it's clear that Alonso is obviously making a genuine attempt to go for the ball, this is component one behind my rationale.

Now component two is that Alonso does indeed get to the ball first as he clearly strikes the ball into the net, (showing that he was indeed justified in going for the ball in the first place because he calculated clearly that he could get to the ball). Bellerin made a late attempt to get to the ball because he didn't actually get to the ball and make contact with it in any way.

No referee would ever send off Alonso when taking into account component's one and two. The referee would not have any doubt in his mind that Alonso was trying to do anything wrong or malicious to his opponent so there is no reason to issue a red card. Players collide innocently all the time in football matches, (like a keeper rushing out and a striker lunging for the ball, there is often no malice there and both players are just trying to win the ball in these situations, and the Alonso/Bellerin situation is no different to this).
I'm not saying Alonso made a foul (although I could).

But if you really think the goal was allowed due to advantage being played, I just hope you are not a ref yourself. Sorry.

Football Hero
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Football Hero »

Joccki_10 wrote:
Football Hero wrote:
Joccki_10 wrote:
Football Hero wrote:

I'm not saying Alonso made a foul (although I could).

But if you really think the goal was allowed due to advantage being played, I just hope you are not a ref yourself. Sorry.
If Alonso gets bundled into by Bellerin as he's about to score a sitter, and he misses the sitter as a result of being bundled into, then a penalty should be given. Bellerin would have gained an advantage due to fouling his opponent in that case.

However because Alonso didn't miss the sitter and he actually scored it, there is no reason to award a penalty and the advantage gets played.

You say that you apparently could make a case for Alonso making a foul, but I don't buy that at all. It's clear as day that he was playing the ball and behaved 100% correctly in that situation. If instead Alonso stands back and doesn't go for the ball because he is worried about giving a foul away, then he would have been criticised hugely for that as he's given up a fantastic chance to score. He has to go for the ball, (and not the man), and try to get his team a goal, and he does exactly that.

Aar0n_28
FISOhead

Post by Aar0n_28 »

60. Would've been a whole lot worse if I hadn't captained our Lord and saviour. Red arrow down to a predicted 48,000th.

MoSe
Dumbledore
FS Record: FISODAS CUP Winner Season 25
FISO H2H Winner: 15/16 Div2 - 16/17 Div1
FISO Mirror: 16/17 PL Winner

Post by MoSe »

50 in the end
Just below fpl avg
And back down outside 20k

Notned
FISO Knight

Post by Notned »

57. Underwhelming.

Ruth_NZ
Grumpy Old Gorilla

Post by Ruth_NZ »

89 all out. I think that takes me into the top 10k for the first time this season. :D

Sutter Kane
Dumbledore
FS Record: Unknown.

Post by Sutter Kane »

Interesting...If 57 is underwhelming, what's it called when you score 41? :cry:

Joccki_10
Grumpy Old Joker

Post by Joccki_10 »

86 (-). Into the top 5k hopefully.

Football Hero
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Football Hero »

Good week for me with Luka. :)

matmutte
FISOhead

Post by matmutte »

102 all out. Giving me some hope to salvage the season.

Ruth_NZ
Grumpy Old Gorilla

Post by Ruth_NZ »

matmutte wrote:102 all out. Giving me some hope to salvage the season.
Big congrats. 100+ outside a DGW is always a big achievement. :)

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

Ruth_NZ wrote:
Jammy Bstrd, as is anyone who got more than 85.

Obviously anyone with less than 85 is pants :lol:

gallus
Grumpy Old Man

Post by gallus »

66 all out

huwdo
FISOhead

Post by huwdo »

59 all out. Pretty poor...

matmutte
FISOhead

Post by matmutte »

Ruth_NZ wrote:
cheers mate. Lots of luck to be fair. I would have settled for a single goal from Lukaku, then he goes on and score 4.

Bob Newhart
FISO Knight

Post by Bob Newhart »

***king useless, a load of cack.

Lucky
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Lucky »

69 all out. Only a small arrow up

MoSe
Dumbledore

Post by MoSe »

matmutte wrote:
Ruth_NZ wrote:
cheers mate. Lots of luck to be fair. I would have settled for a single goal from Lukaku, then he goes on and score 4.
Nice Divisionals debut, mec :D

MoSe
Dumbledore

Post by MoSe »

MoSe wrote:50 in the end
Just below fpl avg
7,030 :arrow: 12,640 :arrow: 21,360 in 2 gws

Football Hero
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Football Hero »

MoSe wrote:
Just below fpl avg
What do you think is the approximate lowest ranking that you could be at the moment to still make the top 1k by the end of GW38?

Ruth_NZ
Grumpy Old Gorilla

Post by Ruth_NZ »

Football Hero wrote:
MoSe wrote:
Just below fpl avg
What do you think is the approximate lowest ranking that you could be at the moment to still make the top 1k by the end of GW38?

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Fantasy PremierLeague.com (FPL)”