To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Best base price Evertonion?

A Fantasy Football forum for news on fantasy football games run by the Premierleague (FPL).

Holgate
50%
Davies
50%

Total votes: 42

Mav3rick
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FPL: 1082, 1201, 1800, 10203

The stats are dark and full of errors.

Post by Mav3rick »

Holgate and Davies are offering us bench player options at 4.1 and 4.3 respectively, but which do you think is the better player to have in our squads and why?

Or would you rather have none of them and save space for an extra expensive Evertonion?

Stemania
FISO Jedi Knight
Location: On the Iron Throne of xG, the seat of The Crown Prince of the Stat Perverts. Or if not, in the STC!
FS Record: Best: TFF 321st. FPL 129th. FFS Career HoF Peak 2nd (Live 1st). Ability since lost.

Re: Best base price Evertonion?

Post by Stemania »

I'm nervous of both, but definitely Holgate of the two imo. Davies very likely to lose his place once Gueye is back and Schneiderlin is integrated isn't he? Whereas Holgate looks relatively safe if they stick with 3atd unless they buy as far as I can see.

One for The Username perhaps. :D

Also, I think Mason (Edit: Carroll- thanks Joccki) at Swansea is a very safe alternative to Davies at 4.2m, whereas Holgate is only up against Yoshida (who we expect to be replaced in the window) and a Swans defender that sneaks into the team every now and then.

Joccki_10
Grumpy Old Joker
FS Record: 16/17: 55 OR, 1 FISO Forum, 1 NLD and FISO Cup Winner

Post by Joccki_10 »

For me it's Holgate.

It depends on the formation you'd like to play. I'm currently on 3-5-2 so Davies is a no-go. However I'm looking at the possibilities to go with four in midfield and then Davies seems a very viable option.

I'd say none is highly unlikely as I don't think a lot of managers own Baines, Coleman as well as Lukaku. I don't consider Mirallas and Barkley as long-term options.

Valeron
FISOhead

Post by Valeron »

I'd add that due to his position Holgate is less likely to come on for 1 pointers in the event either is benched.

cesc408
Grumpy Old Man

Post by cesc408 »

Don't think I would ever play Davies unless I was forced to so wouldn't waste a spot on him. Whereas Holegate offers those potential clean sheets and I wouldn't complain too much if he was auto subbed in.

Joccki_10
Grumpy Old Joker
FS Record: 16/17: 55 OR, 1 FISO Forum, 1 NLD and FISO Cup Winner

Post by Joccki_10 »

Stemania wrote:Also, I think Carroll at Swansea is a very safe alternative to Davies

Stemania
FISO Jedi Knight
Location: On the Iron Throne of xG, the seat of The Crown Prince of the Stat Perverts. Or if not, in the STC!
FS Record: Best: TFF 321st. FPL 129th. FFS Career HoF Peak 2nd (Live 1st). Ability since lost.

Post by Stemania »

Joccki_10 wrote:
Stemania wrote:Also, I think Carroll at Swansea is a very safe alternative to Davies
Ha ha - yes, that's the badger - wrong former Spurs youngster name pulled out of bag. :oops:

Weisenwolf
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: 2,234 points; back when this was considered a good score....

Post by Weisenwolf »

Mav3rick wrote:Holgate and Davies are offering us bench player options at 4.1 and 4.3 respectively, but which do you think is the better player to have in our squads and why?

Or would you rather have none of them and save space for an extra expensive Evertonion?
Surely this depends on your squad structure? My PPG for defensive players is poor (every season I'm ashamed to state) and this season my PPG for mids is almost comparable to my strikers despite fare more money invested in the strikers. So for me 3-5-2 is earning the most points so much as I like Davies as a pick Holgate suits my team better. As a matter of fact I have neither primarily as I don't think either are nailed and I'm after 15 starters from here on in to deal with the inevitable late season injuries, DGW, short GW and so on.

Scottoffee
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: 2nd in a month on Sky at some point...

Post by Scottoffee »

Holgate looks more likely to keep his spot if the squad stays as is.

Davies will have to compete with a fully match fit Schneiderlin soon, Gueye once back from Africa & Barry (no more cups so his old legs can still handle the schedule!).

But;

Jagielka looks to be off and if so, we will definitely need to bring someone in.

Linked with the likes of Van Dijk, Manolas, Lamine Kone (hope not) etc so it'll prob be someone that's going jump ahead of Holgate.
Tosin Adarabioyo (Eng U-19) from City linked recently so that might not be the case...

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

Stemania wrote: Also, I think Mason (Edit: Carroll- thanks Joccki) at Swansea is a very safe alternative to Davies at 4.2m, whereas Holgate is only up against Yoshida (who we expect to be replaced in the window) and a Swans defender that sneaks into the team every now and then.
With Livermore leaving Hull, Mason may be a regular, though.

The Username
Grumpy Old Man

Post by The Username »

Sound advice waiting until the window shuts on Holgate, Everton are actively recruiting a center half, they have big money earmarked for the replacement and know who they want, getting who they want will be a different story though, its also easier for Everton to spend this window than it will be in the summer window so that incentive is there to spend in January as well. So i would be more confident in moving for Holgate for FPL purposes post the window, if another centre half doesnt come in his chances improve dramatically. I'm also not so sure 3 at the back will remain the default formation so thats another risk for Holgate.

Personally i think Davies is less at risk than Holgate, would be very hard to drop him on current performances not only is he performing brilliantly himself hes also bringing out the best in those around him, he and Barkley complement each other well, he is posting attacking returns and Everton havnt conceded with him in the team yet, hes been MOM in almost every game he has played thus far. He wont start every game but i imagine he will be involved in most games either as a starter or from the bench for the rest of the season, he has had such an impact on the team and is a special player. There is certainly no rush in getting Schederlin in the team or rushing Gueye back from Africa straight back in and i wouldnt be surprised to see a 4-3-3, / 4-2-1-3 or a 3-4-2-1, or variant formation either.

Both are teenagers though, so you would expect at some point they will be shielded and taken out of the limelight.

Practically speaking both are worth a punt, especially if your playing 3-4-3, Holgate is an easy upgrade on an Amat and Davies a downgrade on a Fletcher with likely better attacking potential. For Fpl purposes they are low risk, potential high reward punts for areas of your squad your not really using, unless you playing 4/5 at the back or 5 across midfield.

If i were to choose i would go for a more established defender than Holgate and take the punt on Davies.
Last edited by The Username on 22 Jan 2017, 11:34, edited 3 times in total.

Mav3rick
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Mav3rick »

I think I feel more comfortable taking a punt on Holgate of the two. As has been said, Carroll offers perhaps similar options for 4.2 in the 5th midfielder slot.

I certainly won't be moving on Holgate this GW, hopefully his price stays the same at least until after the transfer window shuts. I do like him as an Amat replacement though, hardly a bank breaker and if Everton don't sign anyone and if they stay 3 at the back, then he seems best suited to that right centre back role.

The Username
Grumpy Old Man

Post by The Username »

I know many Everton fans who would suggest something like this:

..................Robles

......Holgate..Williams.. Mori

Baines...Gana...Scnheiderlin-- Coleman

..........Davies.....Barkley

................Lukaku

Which is why i don't think Davies loosing his place is as logical or as automatic as Gana and Scnheiderlin returning or coming in and he is automatically squeezed out.

Mav3rick
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Mav3rick »

Really, so you think Davies could keep Mirallas out of the side? I think that would make me pay even more attention to Barkley, from the highlights he looked good yesterday, advanced when he needed to be getting shots away and getting in the box. I also thought it was noticeable that Baines was getting in the box, although I think maybe Coleman is better at doing that from the other side.

If it were Davies supplying Barkley and Lukaku then I'd feel better about owning either than if Mirallas is in the team.

Stemania
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Stemania »

Mav3rick wrote:Really, so you think Davies could keep Mirallas out of the side?
Wow indeed. That would definitely make Davies a default for me, but I suppose it remains to be seen. One to watch a bit closer then, thanks TU. :shock:

The Username
Grumpy Old Man

Post by The Username »

Mav3rick wrote:Really, so you think Davies could keep Mirallas out of the side? I think that would make me pay even more attention to Barkley, from the highlights he looked good yesterday, advanced when he needed to be getting shots away and getting in the box. I also thought it was noticeable that Baines was getting in the box, although I think maybe Coleman is better at doing that from the other side.

If it were Davies supplying Barkley and Lukaku then I'd feel better about owning either than if Mirallas is in the team.
The above would be the popular choice among the fans mate, so really its just that and i suppose i would temper it by saying Everton fans love one of their own. Davies has unlocked Barkley and Lukaku or rather provided support for both. He came into the team after the Hull game and Everton have won three on the trot, hes enabled a different formation and the high intensity pressing style Koeman likes, he is delighted. Hes also got a goal and two assists and his broad performances have been superb, it would be very harsh on him loosing his place. I dont expect him to start every game from now until the end of the season, just because of his age and i anticipate at some stage he will have a dip, but i thought that about Alli last season as well, sometimes players just break through. Toms is a punt, but low risk maybe for a decent reward, certainly Gana looks away for the next two fixtures. Personally i would have him over Mirallas who i am not sure will be there beyond the summer anyway.

I would say watch the outgoings at Everton carefully it will give you an indication of what is coming in and what position. If Everton brought in a winger i would think that would impact on Tom and the above formation. They are operating a policy of not making a signing until they have a deal for a player to leave, eg:

Cleverley :arrow: Schneiderlin
Niasse :arrow: Lookman

Those moves all happened seamlessly as ins and outs within hours of each other. It was leaked that the Deulofeu deal is done for him to go to Milan, Everton were furious with the leak and went public to deny it, that essentially means they are working on a deal to try and get a replacement for him. Equally if Jags suddenly goes and Sunderland, Palace and Swansea are interested, i would expect to see a new centre half. If things stayed as is and no new signings are made i would be confident in the above formation. I still expect another 2 in and 2 out.

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

The Username wrote: They are operating a policy of not making a signing until they have a deal for a player to leave, eg:

Cleverley :arrow: Schneiderlin
Niasse :arrow: Lookman

Those moves all happened seamlessly as ins and outs within hours of each other. It was leaked that the Deulofeu deal is done for him to go to Milan, Everton were furious with the leak and went public to deny it, that essentially means they are working on a deal to try and get a replacement for him. Equally if Jags suddenly goes and Sunderland, Palace and Swansea are interested, i would expect to see a new centre half. If things stayed as is and no new signings are made i would be confident in the above formation. I still expect another 2 in and 2 out.
Blimey, common sense at a Football Club :shock: whatever next?

Concerning the ideal formation (long term): I'm not convinced as a Bolasie and Lookman type behind Lukaka looks more likely. Maybe one of the two in that XI still play with 4 at the back, though.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

blahblah wrote:
Stemania wrote: Also, I think Mason (Edit: Carroll- thanks Joccki) at Swansea is a very safe alternative to Davies at 4.2m, whereas Holgate is only up against Yoshida (who we expect to be replaced in the window) and a Swans defender that sneaks into the team every now and then.
With Livermore leaving Hull, Mason may be a regular, though.
My fault, sorry :oops:

Beadling Boy
Treebeard

Post by Beadling Boy »

In the past 3 matches, Tom Davies has 1 goal and 2 assists and has looked fairly active in these games.

Do most fee he'll keep his starting spot when Gueye returns from AFCON, or is the consensus that Davies is just a temporary placeholder? I'd like to think that he's done enough to be given a chance to keep the starting spot, but not certain if this is realistic. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Mav3rick
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Mav3rick »

Beadling Boy wrote:In the past 3 matches, Tom Davies has 1 goal and 2 assists and has looked fairly active in these games.

Do most fee he'll keep his starting spot when Gueye returns from AFCON, or is the consensus that Davies is just a temporary placeholder? I'd like to think that he's done enough to be given a chance to keep the starting spot, but not certain if this is realistic. Any feedback would be appreciated.
I'd have a read over the comments by The Username above.

OIEIAO
FISOhead

Post by OIEIAO »

Any news on Everton signing a defender or do we think Holgate will continue to be a good bet at 4.1 (rising tonight)?

Paulista
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Paulista »

They're very Keane on Burnley's Michael.

OIEIAO
FISOhead

Post by OIEIAO »

Paulista wrote:They're very Keane on Burnley's Michael.
Thanks for the warning. Sounds like it could be one for the summer instead but it could be today and clearly they're still shopping.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/fo ... s-12530529

The Username
Grumpy Old Man

Post by The Username »

Holgate was hooked at half time tonight after a poor showing, Stoke targeted him and looked very poor dealing with the high ball.

Tom Davies excellent again.

Beadling Boy
Treebeard

Post by Beadling Boy »

So, based on today's hook at halftime, is the general feeling by FISO posters that Holgate will either lose his starting position, or at least start playing less than 90's in many forthcoming matches?

With respect to Davies, based on another strong performance, do most feel he'll get a chance to remain as a starter, or will Gueye's return from AFCON, plus the Schneiderlin pick-up squeeze him out of the 11, sooner rather than later?

Scottoffee
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: 2nd in a month on Sky at some point...

Post by Scottoffee »

Unsure about Holgate - it was a system change to deal with them only having Crouch up top and let us have more bodies in midfield.

The 3 at the back works against teams that play on the front-foot, allows for counters etc so I reckon he'll be back in for Bournemouth & Boro then possibly out for Sunderland.

For me, Davies is 50/50 to start on the weekend.
Schneiderlin was very good last night, should see him & Gueye being the preferred central mid pairing eventually, but he barely played at Utd so might not be up for 2 starts in a few days just yet.

Beadling Boy
Treebeard

Post by Beadling Boy »

So, now that Rose is out for a few weeks, does Davies take his place in the starting line-up, or is there someone else that may start in that defensive position?

Mav3rick
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Mav3rick »

Beadling Boy wrote:So, now that Rose is out for a few weeks, does Davies take his place in the starting line-up, or is there someone else that may start in that defensive position?
I think it's almost certain to be Davies, but I'd not bring him in. There's an international break soon so you may only get two games, just not worth the transfer.

I wouldn't think Ben Davies is in the running for best base price Evertonian, though :mrgreen:

Beadling Boy
Treebeard

Post by Beadling Boy »

Mav3rick wrote:
Beadling Boy wrote:So, now that Rose is out for a few weeks, does Davies take his place in the starting line-up, or is there someone else that may start in that defensive position?
I think it's almost certain to be Davies, but I'd not bring him in. There's an international break soon so you may only get two games, just not worth the transfer.

I wouldn't think Ben Davies is in the running for best base price Evertonian, though :mrgreen:
Good advise on Spurs Davies. Thanks!

And, LOL! Sorry for the off topic post. I also wanted to post about Everton Davies and I guess I just zoned out. Apologies.

The Username
Grumpy Old Man

Post by The Username »

Everton went 433 today, Davies and Holgate were benched. McCarthy, Barry and Morgan, were the three behind Rom, Lookman and Barkley.

Davies, Holgate and Mirrallas came on in the second half.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Fantasy PremierLeague.com (FPL)”