To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

GW22 Captaincy Poll

A Fantasy Football forum for news on fantasy football games run by the Premierleague (FPL).

Who will be your captain?

Poll ended at 22 Jan 2017, 16:30

Philippe Coutinho (swa)
1%
Roberto Firmino (swa)
1%
Daniel Sturridge (swa)
1%
Divock Origi (swa)
No votes
Alvaro Negredo (whu)
No votes
Andy Carroll (MID)
1%
Zlatan Ibrahimović (STO)
2%
Henrikh Mkhitaryan (STO)
No votes
Paul Pogba (STO)
No votes
José Salomón Rondón (sun)
1%
Matt Phillips (sun)
No votes
Raheem Sterling (tot)
No votes
Sergio Agüero (tot)
1%
Kevin De Bruyne (tot)
No votes
Harry Kane (MCI)
2%
Dele Alli (MCI)
No votes
Christian Eriksen (MCI)
No votes
Alexis Alejandro Sánchez (BUR)
59%
Olivier Giroud (BUR)
2%
Mesut Özil (BUR)
No votes
Eden Hazard (HUL)
21%
Diego Costa (HUL)
6%
Pedro Rodriguez (HUL)
2%

Total votes: 169

MoSe
Dumbledore
FS Record: FISODAS CUP Winner Season 25
FISO H2H Winner: 15/16 Div2 - 16/17 Div1
FISO Mirror: 16/17 PL Winner

Re: RE: Re: GW22 Captaincy Poll

Post by MoSe »

maradonash wrote:Plus, his clean-sheet probability with this fixture is about as good as it gets.
MoSe wrote:you probably aim for more than 6/7p from your Captain
maradonash wrote:Two goals for a defender in one game is a bit freaky, i'll grant you.
However, his 3 goals in total for the season isn't. Not when you consider how advanced he has been playing
MoSe wrote:you'd say despite his form he isn't likely to repeat b2b braces, nor that you expect him to score every game either, do you?
otoh if there's one game where that can actually happen, it's indeed home v Hull

Football Hero
Grumpy Old Man

Re: GW22 Captaincy Poll

Post by Football Hero »

MoSe wrote:BTW, not having Alonso, I have currently Azpi VC :o

after all a VC is nothing more than a safety net, so it's correct to pick an almost assured 6/7p,
whereas you should aim higher for your C albeit at some risk of getting just 2-3 or 5-6 if he blanks
You consider 5 or 6 points from your captain a 'blank'? I don't, since the best players average around 6.5 to 7 points per game, so getting 5 or 6 points is not a bad score, it's right around their average surely?

MoSe
Dumbledore

Post by MoSe »

Football Hero wrote:You consider 5 or 6 points from your captain a 'blank'?
I don't, since the best players average around 6.5 to 7 points per game,
so getting 5 or 6 points is not a bad score, it's right around their average surely?
sorry, I've been hasty, and comprised an assist under the "umbrella" of the "blank" tag
although an assist is not "formally" a "blank"

my objection is that as you don't Captain a defender looking for just a CS, similarly you don't Captain any player looking for "just" an assist

5-6 pts are better than 2-3p from an outright blank,
but I still consider 5-6p from my captain as a "fall-back" escape, not what I was expecting or aiming for
"better than a punch in the eye", so to speak, as we sometimes say in italy
not bad, but mediocre - I don't aim for the average, I can only "content" with it afterwards
___

you probably have more than one "premium" in your XV, that is more than one player with 6ppg avg,
when you pick your GW (C) amongst them, you surely hope to hit the one who'll get the best score that GW,
or at least if guessing your XV high scorer can be unpredictable, you aim to pick one who'll score above his avg that GW

sometimes the "mathematically correct" pick doesn't turn out to be the highest scoring one, you can't regret that in hindsight
but surely many times the captain choice is a close or marginal call
you should aim, by picking more often than occasionally the one who'll score above his avg, to have a Captain bonus total yield above a premium avg, not on it
when you get 5-6p from your Captain, you won't "lose ground" towards that goal, but not gain it either
___

from my team http://anewpla.net/fpl/report/
"base" total score 21 GWs: (before doubling that is)
C 130p that's indeed 6.19 ppg captaincy bonus - but that's averaged with the blanks
VC 136p
Hi (C,VC) 154p
Hi XV scorer 274p

Code: Select all

Gw  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21

C   -  3  2  1  5 13  2  5  3 13  6  2 14 13  5  2  2 15  6  7 11
VC  -  2  2 17 12 10  3 -1  1 16 11  2  1 23  8  2  5  3  5  7  7
Hi 11 11  9 17 12 13 15  8  8 16 12 11 14 23 13 19 12 15  7 13 15
[/size][/b]
I picked 9 blanks, and five 5-6pointers (plus 1 7p) -- my 6.19ppg as C bonus yield is an average premium score, thus subpar imho as C bonus target
sure I first wish my blanks could have been 5p-ers, but then I'm not that happy either with the 5-6p-ers I got, I whish they could have been rather 8-10p-ers

IN SUMMARY
5-6p from C is not a "bad" score, but my "satisfactory" C score is more towards 10p than 6p
if 6p was satisfactory, then I could as well pick defenders as C and contenting of getting just a CS

whereas a VC has a different purpose imho, and 6p from a VC is quite satisfactory, in the unlikely event your Captain did not play

MPTree
Grumpy Old Man

Post by MPTree »

I would never captain or vice-captain Alonso, not because I think it's a bad decision (though it's certainly an interesting one), but because he's nursing an ongoing groin problem which could potentially see him rested without warning at any time.

Currently Sanchez (c), Hazard (v) for me.

Paulista
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Paulista »

Weisenwolf wrote:
Terry Henry wrote:
maradonash wrote:
Terry Henry wrote:No Lukaku?

I am tempted by him orAlonso. Or might well play it safe with Sanchez.
I think this is a great shout for anyone wanting to make up some ground.
Only Kane and Alexis can better his PPM of 6.5 and he has a home against Hull.
What's not to like? :)
Decided. Alonso captain locked in.
One freak result; this is the epitome of chasing last weeks results.
A winger playing for the team top of the league scoring two goals isn't a freak result. I think a fair few members on here saw this coming.

However, as an owner of both Costa and Hazard, I would never really consider Alonso for my captaincy as I usually captain the man who I think has the highest chance of scoring a goal. Also, clean sheets have been a bit crazy this season, and Snoddy could well score a free kick against the run of play.

Paulista
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Paulista »

MPTree wrote:I would never captain or vice-captain Alonso, not because I think it's a bad decision (though it's certainly an interesting one), but because he's nursing an ongoing groin problem which could potentially see him rested without warning at any time.
Well he said after the Leicester game "I felt good today. After a couple of games with pain in my groin, I felt good today." I suppose it doesn't confirm that the injury has 100% cleared up but at least it does imply that he isn't feeling the injury any more.

Ruth_NZ
Grumpy Old Gorilla

Post by Ruth_NZ »

MPTree wrote:I would never captain or vice-captain Alonso, not because I think it's a bad decision (though it's certainly an interesting one), but because he's nursing an ongoing groin problem which could potentially see him rested without warning at any time.

He said he felt much better in the last game, little or no discomfort. He has plenty of rest between games right now. There's no realistic worry about his fitness.

ZeroRemorse
Grumpy Old Man

Post by ZeroRemorse »

Hazard looked good vs Leicester and Hull are far worse than Burnley. I'm also playing Heaton ahead of Grant in goal. I don't trust Arsenal enough even though I own Sanchez and Giroud.

I also think Hazard is some what of a differential these days.

Hazard (C)
Alonso (VC)

maradonash
Red & Blue Braces

Post by maradonash »

He's likely to play either 0 or 90. Not much chance of coming off the bench for a 1 pt cameo, so I wouldn't let that dissuade me.
Conversely, Sanchez could just as easily be hooked after 70 minutes again if the game is in the bag, with Wenger having said that we wants to keep him fresh presumably with one eye on the upcoming Bayrern ties.
Wenger After Swansea Game wrote:“He was very sharp. I rested him for two weeks, gave him a little breather. I think he benefited from that. I gave him another rest for today, so he will benefit from that as well. He’s hugely influential. When you look at the numbers, he’s been involved in about 25 goals in our team. But we were 4-0 up, so it was a good opportunity not to be stupid.”
That said... i'll be going with Alexis as I don't need to go against the masses just now. I just happen to think that Alonso is a much better shout than most of the names featured on the poll.

Football Hero
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Football Hero »

MoSe wrote:
Football Hero wrote:You consider 5 or 6 points from your captain a 'blank'?
I don't, since the best players average around 6.5 to 7 points per game,
so getting 5 or 6 points is not a bad score, it's right around their average surely?
sorry, I've been hasty, and comprised an assist under the "umbrella" of the "blank" tag
although an assist is not "formally" a "blank"

my objection is that as you don't Captain a defender looking for just a CS, similarly you don't Captain any player looking for "just" an assist

5-6 pts are better than 2-3p from an outright blank,
but I still consider 5-6p from my captain as a "fall-back" escape, not what I was expecting or aiming for
"better than a punch in the eye", so to speak, as we sometimes say in italy
not bad, but mediocre - I don't aim for the average, I can only "content" with it afterwards
___

you probably have more than one "premium" in your XV, that is more than one player with 6ppg avg,
when you pick your GW (C) amongst them, you surely hope to hit the one who'll get the best score that GW,
or at least if guessing your XV high scorer can be unpredictable, you aim to pick one who'll score above his avg that GW

sometimes the "mathematically correct" pick doesn't turn out to be the highest scoring one, you can't regret that in hindsight
but surely many times the captain choice is a close or marginal call
you should aim, by picking more often than occasionally the one who'll score above his avg, to have a Captain bonus total yield above a premium avg, not on it
when you get 5-6p from your Captain, you won't "lose ground" towards that goal, but not gain it either
___

from my team http://anewpla.net/fpl/report/
"base" total score 21 GWs: (before doubling that is)
C 130p that's indeed 6.19 ppg captaincy bonus - but that's averaged with the blanks
VC 136p
Hi (C,VC) 154p
Hi XV scorer 274p

Code: Select all

Gw  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21

C   -  3  2  1  5 13  2  5  3 13  6  2 14 13  5  2  2 15  6  7 11
VC  -  2  2 17 12 10  3 -1  1 16 11  2  1 23  8  2  5  3  5  7  7
Hi 11 11  9 17 12 13 15  8  8 16 12 11 14 23 13 19 12 15  7 13 15
[/size][/b]
I picked 9 blanks, and five 5-6pointers (plus 1 7p) -- my 6.19ppg as C bonus yield is an average premium score, thus subpar imho as C bonus target
sure I first wish my blanks could have been 5p-ers, but then I'm not that happy either with the 5-6p-ers I got, I whish they could have been rather 8-10p-ers

IN SUMMARY
5-6p from C is not a "bad" score, but my "satisfactory" C score is more towards 10p than 6p
if 6p was satisfactory, then I could as well pick defenders as C and contenting of getting just a CS

whereas a VC has a different purpose imho, and 6p from a VC is quite satisfactory, in the unlikely event your Captain did not play
But when you captain a premium player, all you're really getting from them is their 6ish ppg in the long run, you aren't targeting more than this because you can't do much about that particular player's inherent ppg average. I think what you're saying is that you're hoping to get lucky by captaining them when they score 13 points instead of 2 points, but you can't actually do anything about this and in the long run you will be getting their average score, (slightly fixture adjusted of course if you captain them in an easy game). This is why a return of 5 or 6 points is around their average score and so isn't anything to be disappointed by or to label it as a 'blank'.

The real reason you don't captain a defender is because their ppg is lower, (not the oversimplified reason you gave where you described it as avoiding just trying to double a clean sheet).

huskerdu
FISOhead

Post by huskerdu »

I get too nervous when it comes to captaining Sanchez. He always waits till very late to score it seems, and with Giroud most likely being in the lineup I'd be more tempted to captain "Striker Sanchez" than Sanchez with Giroud up front.

Having said that, I don't want to get left behind but something keeps telling me to captain Hazard. Although I find him to be rather disappointing lately.

But then again, it is Hull.

Football Hero
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Football Hero »

huskerdu wrote:I get too nervous when it comes to captaining Sanchez. He always waits till very late to score it seems, and with Giroud most likely being in the lineup I'd be more tempted to captain "Striker Sanchez" than Sanchez with Giroud up front.

Having said that, I don't want to get left behind but something keeps telling me to captain Hazard. Although I find him to be rather disappointing lately.

Not wanting 'to get left behind' suggests to me that you are already trailing, so to try and catch up maybe you could do something different.

huskerdu
FISOhead

Post by huskerdu »

Football Hero wrote:
huskerdu wrote:I get too nervous when it comes to captaining Sanchez. He always waits till very late to score it seems, and with Giroud most likely being in the lineup I'd be more tempted to captain "Striker Sanchez" than Sanchez with Giroud up front.

Not wanting 'to get left behind' suggests to me that you are already trailing, so to try and catch up maybe you could do something different.

Yup, I'm 60 points off my ML leader. At least I also have Sanchez so barring him getting a hatrick it shouldn't be too bad I hope if I don't get the (c) choice correct this weekend.

Hazard it is!

Notned
FISO Knight

Post by Notned »

As with seemingly everyone else, it's between Sanchez and Hazard for me. Sanchez seems the safe pick and the one that jumps out, but I have a similar gut feeling about Hazard that I did about Kane last week...

DragonSwag
Treebeard

Post by DragonSwag »

Hazard is just not nearly as dangerous as Sanchez when watching the games.

CarlosTheFinger
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: William Hill Chiswick branch Euro 2008 league winner

Post by CarlosTheFinger »

Isn't Hazard better at home then Sánchez? That's how I normally decide. Hazard if both are at home and Sánchez if both are away.

Football Hero
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Football Hero »

CarlosTheFinger wrote:Isn't Hazard better at home then Sánchez? That's how I normally decide. Hazard if both are at home and Sánchez if both are away.
That's been the case so far this season. Not sure if that is a legitimate trend or short term variance though.

MoSe
Dumbledore

Post by MoSe »

Football Hero wrote:But when you captain a premium player, all you're really getting from them is their 6ish ppg in the long run, you aren't targeting more than this because you can't do much about that particular player's inherent ppg average.
Sorry, this does not make sense at all.

I do NOT captain ONE premium player in the long run

Each GW, I captain ONE OF my premium playerS THAT GW.
Football Hero wrote:I think what you're saying is that you're hoping to get lucky by captaining them when they score 13 points instead of 2 points, but you can't actually do anything about this and in the long run you will be getting their average score, (slightly fixture adjusted of course if you captain them in an easy game).

This is why a return of 5 or 6 points is around their average score and so isn't anything to be disappointed by or to label it as a 'blank'.
you think wrong

I'm saying that every reasonable fpl manager here, is trying EACH SINGLE GW to make the best possbile informed decision to pick AMONGST THEIR TWO, THREE OR FOUR premiums, the one with the best probability to get a high score THAT SPECIFIC GW.
Of course there's a factor of luck involved, that's called variance
Of course a striker can blank when the conditions looked favorable, e.g. Kane v BUR & HUL
Of course a strike can unexpectedly get a haul when playing away at a strong defence, e.g. @CHE or TOT
But STILL the potential score for the same player is not the same in every GW. The tools we have available to make such choice are far from being completely reliable and accurate, but STILL they should give us the means to choose the player with the best Expected Return, or odds if you prefer, in each gw

you talk as if you always Captain the same player the whole season long
or as if you'd choose amnogst your best players completely at random and blindly each gw

only in that case I can't do anything to navigate thru his hauls and blanks, I'll get them all, and in the long run I'll of course get his season average, by definition

Let's stick by your example
"you're hoping to get lucky by captaining them when they score 13 points instead of 2 points,
but you can't actually do anything about this and in the long run you will be getting their average score
"
Imagine a player misses 2 games in the season, thus he plays 36
he scores 13p in 12 games = 156p
he scores 2p in 24 games = 48p
his season total is 204p over 36 games, which makes a 5.67ppg
we could otherwise say that on average that player scores 13p once every 3 games

Let's also say you have 4 such players in your team
Assuming for simplicity they all have the same average strength and behavior, they'll all have the same scoring distribution over the season, only in different gws
Again for simplicity, let's say you will Captain each different player 9 times out of the 36 games he plays (and the remaining 2 GWs to 38 you just captain someone else)

I hope you won't deny that not all games will be played in the same conditions: the player form and fitness will vary, so will the opponent's strength, their team conditions (e.g. sometimes weakened by injury/ban absent players, managerial/system changes), motivation, tight schedule fatigue/rotation, etc.
Different conditions DO influece a player's probability to obtain a better score or not
This all will be assessed with the tools you have available, and summarised in the player Expected Score. For simplicity let's call it "odds", even if you don't actually recur to bookies but to some other analysis tool instead.

So, you don't choose a player's 9 Captancies "at random", but you give him the band on the 9 games where he hase the best odds
This doesn't mean that he'll alway score 13p in those 9 games,
But if the "odds" can be considered at least a bit significant and effective in describing when the conditions are favorable, then the player is expected to obtain more than just 3 games with 13p out of those 9 (i.e. 1 in 3 according to his long-run avg)
It depends of course on how much favorable are the "odds", so it's not granted that he'd get 5 or 6 hauls out of 9
But if those 9 games have above average favorable conditions, this means that the player is significantly likelier to get his best scores in these 9 games, rather than in the oterh 27 .
Let's assume, for simplicity in our already simplified model, that he only gets one more, that is 4 "hauls" and 5 blanks instead of 3 and 6.
And thus 8 hauls and 19 blanks in the remaining 27 games.
The corresponding figures are 6.89 expected ppg in the 9 selected games with favorable odds, and 5.26 ppg over the rest of the season in the less favorable games.
Of course I'll still get some 2p even in the selected Captain games. But if the "odds" are significant, and I have been able to read them correctly, I expect to obtain a higher ppg in the selected favorable games, than the long-run season ppg.

Combine 9 games with higher ppg from your 4 players, and you'll obtain 36 games with higher ppg than each player's long-run ppg

I would not call this "hoping to get lucky"
I'd hope to get lucky if I picked at random. I'd hope to get lucky if I played the lottery.

I'd call it hoping to be able to take the correct decisions with the information tools available, to select the games when a player has above average favorable conditions, or to select the player in each given GW who has the most favorable conditions and potential, amongst all those I have available.
If I succeed in making such informed choice most of the times, I am expected to obtain a return above their average in the long run from the different Captains I'll come to select GW by GW

Going now back to your initial statement where more realistically a premium has a 6-ish ppg in the long run, I hope to be able to make the highest possible number of correct decisions over the gws, and combine a series of favorable players/games whose expected ppg is higer than 6. At least 7ppg, but possibly 8ppg, and hopefully more.

If my selected Captain then gets 2p in a gw, I know this can happen and it can't be always avoided, But it will mean that either I took a poor decision, and/or I got (very) unlucky. I can't do anything about the latter, so I'd focus on how I can improve the former. I.e. how to reasonably pick, and not "guess", a player with an above his average expected ppg in a specific gw
If my selected Captain gets 13p in a gw, then I made the correct decision. I won't consider myself "lucky" in that case. I'd be lucky if I took a wrong decision, a gamble, a blind random pick, and then I'd get the same 13p despite my mistake. I'm lucky (and poor) if I call on the river, find out I only have 2 outs, and I get one.
But as the expected ppg in a given gw is (almost) never 13p, it's expected he gets enough 13p to raise the ppg over the average, in the selected games.
Finally, if my selected Captain gets his season-average 6p, the I am a bit disappointed, because that score will not help to raise the selections return above a single player's season avg, which is ultimately the purpose of picking each gw a different Captain who you think best in that gw.
"This is why a return of 5 or 6 points is around their average score and so isn't anything to be disappointed by"
I AM a bit disappointed exactly because that's just around their average, and not at least a bit more!

Otherwise, really, just pick a top player who you think can grant you 200+p over the season, stick with him and always Captain him, regardless your other starting X.
You won't be disappinted by getting his average, because your strategy would be to get from it nothing more than a premium player average season ppg.
Which is the behavior your "reasoning" actually suggests.
________

My, I'm embarassed that you wound me up in making me waste my time to state and post the utter obvious.
Was it that hard for you to get in the first place? :roll:

I'm sorry for the others, I apologise

TLDR:
Captaincy 101

MoSe
Dumbledore

Post by MoSe »

Football Hero wrote:
CarlosTheFinger wrote:Isn't Hazard better at home then Sánchez? That's how I normally decide. Hazard if both are at home and Sánchez if both are away.
That's been the case so far this season. Not sure if that is a legitimate trend or short term variance though.
In my rookie season, two seasons ago, I had learned here that Haz was considered a flat-track-bully, and indeed in the first half he had consistently scored at home and blanked away. Then in the 2nd half his yield became more regular and consistent, and fixture proof.
His last season was instead poor, I honestly didn't notice where he was poor by preference ;)
This season seemed to have started on the bright side again, of course each season there are different environmental conditions, can't say whether they're dominant, and where it's Eden inherent trait instead.

LamebrainEddy
Red & Blue Braces

Post by LamebrainEddy »

MoSe wrote:
TLDR:
Captaincy 101
Won't fully quote that absolute tome but +1 :lol:

My pick this week is Pedro, I think he'll match hazard or even outscore........if he plays

Edit:

My thoughts on Sanchez this week is Burnley is usually the type of team Wenger hates to play. As bad as they are away I always trust Arsenal to eff up around this time of the season

BobMem
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: The Graduates - FISO 5AS H2H Champions 13/14
FISO King of Rock and Roll - Elimination game winner 2015/16

Post by BobMem »

Although I agree this looks prime for an Arsenal slip up, it's probably slightly too early for Arsenal to eff up. They normally effectively end their premier league challenge the same fortnight as getting dumped out of the Champions league and the FA Cup.

Football Hero
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Football Hero »

MoSe wrote:
Football Hero wrote:But when you captain a premium player, all you're really getting from them is their 6ish ppg in the long run, you aren't targeting more than this because you can't do much about that particular player's inherent ppg average.
Sorry, this does not make sense at all.

I do NOT captain ONE premium player in the long run

Each GW, I captain ONE OF my premium playerS THAT GW.
Football Hero wrote:I think what you're saying is that you're hoping to get lucky by captaining them when they score 13 points instead of 2 points, but you can't actually do anything about this and in the long run you will be getting their average score, (slightly fixture adjusted of course if you captain them in an easy game).

This is why a return of 5 or 6 points is around their average score and so isn't anything to be disappointed by or to label it as a 'blank'.
you think wrong

I'm saying that every reasonable fpl manager here, is trying EACH SINGLE GW to make the best possbile informed decision to pick AMONGST THEIR TWO, THREE OR FOUR premiums, the one with the best probability to get a high score THAT SPECIFIC GW.
Of course there's a factor of luck involved, that's called variance
Of course a striker can blank when the conditions looked favorable, e.g. Kane v BUR & HUL
Of course a strike can unexpectedly get a haul when playing away at a strong defence, e.g. @CHE or TOT
But STILL the potential score for the same player is not the same in every GW. The tools we have available to make such choice are far from being completely reliable and accurate, but STILL they should give us the means to choose the player with the best Expected Return, or odds if you prefer, in each gw

you talk as if you always Captain the same player the whole season long
or as if you'd choose amnogst your best players completely at random and blindly each gw

only in that case I can't do anything to navigate thru his hauls and blanks, I'll get them all, and in the long run I'll of course get his season average, by definition

Let's stick by your example
"you're hoping to get lucky by captaining them when they score 13 points instead of 2 points,
but you can't actually do anything about this and in the long run you will be getting their average score
"
Imagine a player misses 2 games in the season, thus he plays 36
he scores 13p in 12 games = 156p
he scores 2p in 24 games = 48p
his season total is 204p over 36 games, which makes a 5.67ppg
we could otherwise say that on average that player scores 13p once every 3 games

Let's also say you have 4 such players in your team
Assuming for simplicity they all have the same average strength and behavior, they'll all have the same scoring distribution over the season, only in different gws
Again for simplicity, let's say you will Captain each different player 9 times out of the 36 games he plays (and the remaining 2 GWs to 38 you just captain someone else)

I hope you won't deny that not all games will be played in the same conditions: the player form and fitness will vary, so will the opponent's strength, their team conditions (e.g. sometimes weakened by injury/ban absent players, managerial/system changes), motivation, tight schedule fatigue/rotation, etc.
Different conditions DO influece a player's probability to obtain a better score or not
This all will be assessed with the tools you have available, and summarised in the player Expected Score. For simplicity let's call it "odds", even if you don't actually recur to bookies but to some other analysis tool instead.

So, you don't choose a player's 9 Captancies "at random", but you give him the band on the 9 games where he hase the best odds
This doesn't mean that he'll alway score 13p in those 9 games,
But if the "odds" can be considered at least a bit significant and effective in describing when the conditions are favorable, then the player is expected to obtain more than just 3 games with 13p out of those 9 (i.e. 1 in 3 according to his long-run avg)
It depends of course on how much favorable are the "odds", so it's not granted that he'd get 5 or 6 hauls out of 9
But if those 9 games have above average favorable conditions, this means that the player is significantly likelier to get his best scores in these 9 games, rather than in the oterh 27 .
Let's assume, for simplicity in our already simplified model, that he only gets one more, that is 4 "hauls" and 5 blanks instead of 3 and 6.
And thus 8 hauls and 19 blanks in the remaining 27 games.
The corresponding figures are 6.89 expected ppg in the 9 selected games with favorable odds, and 5.26 ppg over the rest of the season in the less favorable games.
Of course I'll still get some 2p even in the selected Captain games. But if the "odds" are significant, and I have been able to read them correctly, I expect to obtain a higher ppg in the selected favorable games, than the long-run season ppg.

Combine 9 games with higher ppg from your 4 players, and you'll obtain 36 games with higher ppg than each player's long-run ppg

I would not call this "hoping to get lucky"
I'd hope to get lucky if I picked at random. I'd hope to get lucky if I played the lottery.

I'd call it hoping to be able to take the correct decisions with the information tools available, to select the games when a player has above average favorable conditions, or to select the player in each given GW who has the most favorable conditions and potential, amongst all those I have available.
If I succeed in making such informed choice most of the times, I am expected to obtain a return above their average in the long run from the different Captains I'll come to select GW by GW

Going now back to your initial statement where more realistically a premium has a 6-ish ppg in the long run, I hope to be able to make the highest possible number of correct decisions over the gws, and combine a series of favorable players/games whose expected ppg is higer than 6. At least 7ppg, but possibly 8ppg, and hopefully more.

If my selected Captain then gets 2p in a gw, I know this can happen and it can't be always avoided, But it will mean that either I took a poor decision, and/or I got (very) unlucky. I can't do anything about the latter, so I'd focus on how I can improve the former. I.e. how to reasonably pick, and not "guess", a player with an above his average expected ppg in a specific gw
If my selected Captain gets 13p in a gw, then I made the correct decision. I won't consider myself "lucky" in that case. I'd be lucky if I took a wrong decision, a gamble, a blind random pick, and then I'd get the same 13p despite my mistake. I'm lucky (and poor) if I call on the river, find out I only have 2 outs, and I get one.
But as the expected ppg in a given gw is (almost) never 13p, it's expected he gets enough 13p to raise the ppg over the average, in the selected games.
Finally, if my selected Captain gets his season-average 6p, the I am a bit disappointed, because that score will not help to raise the selections return above a single player's season avg, which is ultimately the purpose of picking each gw a different Captain who you think best in that gw.
"This is why a return of 5 or 6 points is around their average score and so isn't anything to be disappointed by"
I AM a bit disappointed exactly because that's just around their average, and not at least a bit more!

Otherwise, really, just pick a top player who you think can grant you 200+p over the season, stick with him and always Captain him, regardless your other starting X.
You won't be disappinted by getting his average, because your strategy would be to get from it nothing more than a premium player average season ppg.
Which is the behavior your "reasoning" actually suggests.
________

My, I'm embarassed that you wound me up in making me waste my time to state and post the utter obvious.
Was it that hard for you to get in the first place? :roll:

I'm sorry for the others, I apologise

TLDR:
Captaincy 101
That's a whole load of waffle that says to me that you haven't read my previous posts properly at all.

I'm sure it's obvious that I don't think you would captain the same player week after week, (who would think that seriously?), but in any given week, you choose a given player, and you get that player's average ppg that is also fixture adjusted etc. I've already said that and it pretty much deals with what you are trying to explain to me with all those words above. Yes, you will sometimes get 13 points and you will sometimes get 2 points, you will also get 7 points sometimes, 6 points etc. but in the long run, with these results occurring over and over, you will get the player's fixture adjusted ppg on average. There is nothing you can do to change that, you can't do anything to try and gain 'more' than that player's fixture adjusted average ppg, you are stuck with that value in the long run.

Terry Henry
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: See me after class!

Post by Terry Henry »

Some interesting thoughts. I've still got it on Alonso, but whether I go through with it, I'm not sure. My gut says Sanchez is gonna blank and Arsenal slip up, so maybe Kane is worth a shout. I can see at least a goal from him.

Hotstepper
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Reasonable

Post by Hotstepper »

Is captaining Costa as made as a box of frogs?

Terry Henry
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Terry Henry »

Hotstepper wrote:Is captaining Costa as made as a box of frogs?
It's a risk whether he starts or not, given his injury and all the stuff that's been going on. If you want the safe choice go with Sanchez or Hazard.

Hotstepper
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Reasonable

Post by Hotstepper »

Terry Henry wrote:
It's a risk whether he starts or not, given his injury and all the stuff that's been going on. If you want the safe choice go with Sanchez or Hazard.
I'm on Sanchez at the moment. Really what I'm thinking is a one transfer a week flip, of Coata in for Lukaku this week, and then out for Kane the following week. Sticking the captaincy on Costa I agree is a step too far, only really putting the question out there

Terry Henry
Grumpy Old Man

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: GW22 Captaincy Poll

Post by Terry Henry »

Hotstepper wrote:
Terry Henry wrote:
I'm on Sanchez at the moment. Really what I'm thinking is a one transfer a week flip, of Coata in for Lukaku this week, and then out for Kane the following week. Sticking the captaincy on Costa I agree is a step too far, only really putting the question out there
Yeah it's a decent shout. If I'm bringing in a big striker, purely for the fixture that week, then I would also slap the armband on them too Image

math!
Dumbledore
FS Record: Yes

Post by math! »

My concern with captaining Hazard is that Hull decide to have one of those days where they are solid. It happens with these leaky teams that are supposedly meant to be turned over and when the match comes they suddenly know what defending is (and sometimes even win).

So it's either Alejandro or Hazard :?:

MoSe
Dumbledore

Post by MoSe »

Football Hero wrote:That's a whole load of waffle that says to me that you haven't read my previous posts properly at all.
this line of yours shows to the forum that you never apply to YOURSELF the "wise words" of advice you deal to others.

It's not a fight between you and me, I'm not seeking for approval, the merits of the respective points are there for anybody to consider, if theyr'e interested

Ruth_NZ
Grumpy Old Gorilla

Post by Ruth_NZ »

math! wrote:My concern with captaining Hazard is that Hull decide to have one of those days where they are solid. It happens with these leaky teams that are supposedly meant to be turned over and when the match comes they suddenly know what defending is (and sometimes even win).

So it's either Alejandro or Hazard :?:
Is that Alexis Alejandro Sánchez Sánchez? You made me have to google an Arsenal player, dammit. What if someone finds that on my internet history?

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Fantasy PremierLeague.com (FPL)”