To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Triple Captain - When are you playing it?

A Fantasy Football forum for news on fantasy football games run by the Premierleague (FPL).
Terry Henry
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: See me after class!

Triple Captain - When are you playing it?

Post by Terry Henry »

Most people will be holding out for a Double Gameweek to play this, which of course is the ideal situation, but if there aren't any, when are people looking at playing it - what fixtures, players jump out at people as the best possible time to get the returns?

Although a bit early, and if Aguero was his usual self, I'd be looking at City v Swansea (Gameweek 24) as a decent shout. Other than that GW32 looks promising with City at home to Hull and Spurs at home to Watford.

Just curious to see if people have started thinking about this yet.

redcat1
Grumpy Old Man

Re: Triple Captain - When are you playing it?

Post by redcat1 »

surely there definitely will be a DGW due to the league cup final having 2 premier league teams ?

Archy
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Maybe all is not lost after all

Post by Archy »

No real point in thinking about it until there is a DGW (which there will be).

Carlos Kickaball
Dumbledore

Post by Carlos Kickaball »

Archy wrote:No real point in thinking about it until there is a DGW (which there will be).
+1

kung_yoda
Wideboy

Post by kung_yoda »

I rather play my bench boost when its time for DGW.
Dont you?

cesc408
Grumpy Old Man

Post by cesc408 »

kung_yoda wrote:I rather play my bench boost when its time for DGW.
Dont you?
Last season there was 2. I wasted my BB in GW7 meaning I had my TC to play in the DGW, resulting in 75p for Sanchez if I remember correctly which was brilliant.

If your planning on WC before a DGW in order to hopefully get the most out of double game players then BB looks the best option.

Think it all depends on people's tactics and the fixtures we are delt.

JoonaR16
Grumpy Old Man

Post by JoonaR16 »

I played my both chips in DGWs last season and got total 279 points. I hope it goes like that again.

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

I wouldn't be surprised if I am wondering which to play in GW38 :?

Bob Newhart
FISO Knight

Post by Bob Newhart »

JoonaR16 wrote:I played my both chips in DGWs last season and got total 279 points. I hope it goes like that again.
This.

Football Hero
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Football Hero »

cesc408 wrote:
kung_yoda wrote:I rather play my bench boost when its time for DGW.
Dont you?
Last season there was 2. I wasted my BB in GW7 meaning I had my TC to play in the DGW, resulting in 75p for Sanchez if I remember correctly which was brilliant.

If your planning on WC before a DGW in order to hopefully get the most out of double game players then BB looks the best option.

Think it all depends on people's tactics and the fixtures we are delt.
I think there was three double gameweeks last season. Something like GW33, GW34 and GW37.

Payet
Treebeard
FS Record: 2016/2017: 8.879

Post by Payet »

I'm seriously considering triple-captaining Sanchez this gameweek.

My decision mostly depends on Giroud status. If Giroud will be benched or rested (small injury issue), and Sanchez put on the CF position against Burnley (they are awful away) I'm 99% sure I will play triple captain chip.

Paulista
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Paulista »

Brave man triple captaining anyone against Tom Heaton.

Terry Henry
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: See me after class!

Post by Terry Henry »

Payet wrote:I'm seriously considering triple-captaining Sanchez this gameweek.

My decision mostly depends on Giroud status. If Giroud will be benched or rested (small injury issue), and Sanchez put on the CF position against Burnley (they are awful away) I'm 99% sure I will play triple captain chip.
Could pay off. Yes, more chance in a DGW, but I remember my mate triple captaining Aguero when he scored 5 against Newcastle, I think it was. He did alright there. Trouble with a DGW is everyone will most likely go for the same person, so you limit your returns against what others will get.

gallus
Grumpy Old Man

Post by gallus »

Terry Henry wrote:
Payet wrote:I'm seriously considering triple-captaining Sanchez this gameweek.

Could pay off. Yes, more chance in a DGW, but I remember my mate triple captaining Aguero when he scored 5 against Newcastle, I think it was. He did alright there. Trouble with a DGW is everyone will most likely go for the same person, so you limit your returns against what others will get.
Yes. Now imagine that you waste it on a 2 point blank while everyone else gets a 70 point haul on a DGW.

I don't get the "everyone will do it so you shouldn't" argument. Sometimes the most obvious move is the best, and if you try to be too clever you'll just fall behind. Every move should be judged solely on points potential, not the % of players who are also doing it.

Resonare
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Resonare »

blahblah wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if I am wondering which to play in GW38 :?
Plenty of great options on the final day :o

I haven't used any chips so far so will burn AoA at some point to avoid playing an injured defender or something like that. TC and BB for dgws.

BobMem
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: The Graduates - FISO 5AS H2H Champions 13/14
FISO King of Rock and Roll - Elimination game winner 2015/16

Post by BobMem »

Last season the DGWs were pretty much perfect. One had good fixtures for Aguero and Sanchez, but not many other teams, the other had plenty of teams with a double but no outstanding combination. The first was for TC, the second BB. It worked very well, but we have to be aware it might not fall quite so nicely this season.

However, it worked last year, so I'll plan to do the same again this year, and see how the fixtures fall.

Also, I really liked the idea of wildcarding GW36, BB DGW37 and AOA GW38, because I had 8 starting attackers in my team and didn't have to worry about restructuring my team afterwards.

Football Hero
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Football Hero »

BobMem wrote:Last season the DGWs were pretty much perfect. One had good fixtures for Aguero and Sanchez, but not many other teams, the other had plenty of teams with a double but no outstanding combination. The first was for TC, the second BB. It worked very well, but we have to be aware it might not fall quite so nicely this season.

However, it worked last year, so I'll plan to do the same again this year, and see how the fixtures fall.

Also, I really liked the idea of wildcarding GW36, BB DGW37 and AOA GW38, because I had 8 starting attackers in my team and didn't have to worry about restructuring my team afterwards.
Also it helped massively that Everton had a double in GW33 and GW34 so you could use your wildcard for GW33, getting in three Everton players and I think a couple of Watford(?) players, and also many other players that had a double in GW34, so you weren't too compromised due to the back-to-back double, and then this freed up the use of your triple captain in GW34. As long as your triple captain was on Sanchez or Aguero in that week, it worked out very well. The double blank from captain Lukaku in GW33 was the only thing that didn't really work out.

BobMem
Grumpy Old Man

Post by BobMem »

It was Palace, who kept double clean sheets in DGW33.
I had Ward, who also got an assist for 18 points. Still captained Lukaku though :roll:

Pirlo's Beard
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Pirlo's Beard »

BobMem wrote:It was Palace, who kept double clean sheets in DGW33.
I had Ward, who also got an assist for 18 points. Still captained Lukaku though :roll:
Palace keeping two clean sheets in a single GW! :shock:

The way they're going at the minute they mightn't even keep two clean sheets all season! :lol:

Football Hero
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Football Hero »

Pirlo's Beard wrote:

The way they're going at the minute they mightn't even keep two clean sheets all season! :lol:
And those double cleanies would have been in the midst of their terrible second half of the season where they almost got relegated despite having 33ish points at the halfway stage, so it was even more surprising.

BobMem
Grumpy Old Man

Post by BobMem »

I just checked, and in the second half of last season Palace kept 2 clean sheets...

gallus
Grumpy Old Man

Post by gallus »

Pirlo's Beard wrote:

it was the same last year, they've kept like 5 all year, but two of those 5 were on GW33 DGW.

thebillfella
FISO Knight
FS Record: 6th FPL 19/20; 1st TFF StartXI 14/15; 8th TFFE11; 18th TFFE12; 1st FISO TFFE11&12; 1st FISO Full Draft 12/13,14/15,19/20,20/21; 1st Block14/15; 1st 5ASChampLge 12/13; 1st TFF Super614/15; 1st Spring17; 1st FISO Div Premx6, Cup, Mirror,Prem&H2H Champ 19/20

Post by thebillfella »

DGW for TC and BB. I think the bigger debate comes from when to play AOA to be honest - last season there didn't seem to be a great deal gained from it's use no matter when played if I recall correctly?

Football Hero
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Football Hero »

thebillfella wrote:DGW for TC and BB. I think the bigger debate comes from when to play AOA to be honest - last season there didn't seem to be a great deal gained from it's use no matter when played if I recall correctly?
I would say that AOA is a 'bigger' debate in the sense of there being a larger scope for when to use it, but a 'smaller' debate in the sense of the actual points difference it makes. I think that's probably why people don't discuss it much, because it's much of a muchness over when to use it and you can actually go through the whole season and never find a good time to use it since it's such a 'meh' chip; whereas if you don't use your TC or BB, then that will cost you points.

BobMem
Grumpy Old Man

Post by BobMem »

Yeah, AOA is rubbish. You could easily lose points by benching a defender who then goes and "does an Alonso".

Sutter Kane
Dumbledore
FS Record: Unknown.

Post by Sutter Kane »

It is rubbish. I used it last week as I only had 2 defenders. De Roon got me 3 points which I'm taking and running!!

Triple captain is a DGW for sure imo. I think there's slightly more variation for usage of the BB chip outside of a dgw however.

Football Hero
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Football Hero »

Sutter Kane wrote:It is rubbish. I used it last week as I only had 2 defenders. De Roon got me 3 points which I'm taking and running!!

Triple captain is a DGW for sure imo. I think there's slightly more variation for usage of the BB chip outside of a dgw however.
You will gain more points from a BB by using it in a double week though, (so long as most of your cheap bench fodder have doubles that week, you don't need your normal starting 11 to necessarily have a double fixture); so I think it's still optimal to use both the TC and BB each in a double week.

thebillfella
FISO Knight
FS Record: 6th FPL 19/20; 1st TFF StartXI 14/15; 8th TFFE11; 18th TFFE12; 1st FISO TFFE11&12; 1st FISO Full Draft 12/13,14/15,19/20,20/21; 1st Block14/15; 1st 5ASChampLge 12/13; 1st TFF Super614/15; 1st Spring17; 1st FISO Div Premx6, Cup, Mirror,Prem&H2H Champ 19/20

Post by thebillfella »

Football Hero wrote:
thebillfella wrote:DGW for TC and BB. I think the bigger debate comes from when to play AOA to be honest - last season there didn't seem to be a great deal gained from it's use no matter when played if I recall correctly?
I would say that AOA is a 'bigger' debate in the sense of there being a larger scope for when to use it, but a 'smaller' debate in the sense of the actual points difference it makes. I think that's probably why people don't discuss it much, because it's much of a muchness over when to use it and you can actually go through the whole season and never find a good time to use it since it's such a 'meh' chip; whereas if you don't use your TC or BB, then that will cost you points.
I think we're sort of saying the same thing. I guess where I was coming from was that we are more likely to align / come to the same conclusion in terms of when we play TC and BB give or take, whereas when to play AOA is a lot less obvious / likely to come to a consensus unless there is say a glut of template defender injuries in the same week. I certainly wouldn't waste it on a double GW unless I'd already used the others and to be honest only if all my front 8 are playing relatively easy fixtures

Mav3rick
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FPL: 1082, 1201, 1800, 10203

The stats are dark and full of errors.

Post by Mav3rick »

The triple captain should almost certainly be saved at least until we know some of the DGW fixtures. If there are no obvious candidates, then it's probably a fair gamble to pick a good single GW player and hope for a 13 point haul.

The BB is a bit trickier. Personally I would still play it in a DGW as things stand but don't forget you only get the one chip per GW and the wildcard is the most powerful chip so depending how the DGW fixtures lineup it may actually work out better to play the BB before a DGW and wildcard into it. We just won't know until we see the lay of the DGWs what the best combination of chips is.

velcro
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: FPL Pontoon winner 2013/14, 18/19

Post by velcro »

I think it's been harder this season to establish a good overall 15 players for bench boost, but WC the GW before is essential.
IIRC Stemania did a great plan which mapped out how to maximise your boosts and the DGW's.

Last season I played the BB the first good DGW and TC the second. As it turns out I should have flipped my selection but that's the gamble.

Hope Stemania does the same again later this season :)

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Fantasy PremierLeague.com (FPL)”