To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Eriksen or Alli

A Fantasy Football forum for news on fantasy football games run by the Premierleague (FPL).

Eriksen or Alli

Eriksen
44%
Alli
56%

Total votes: 62

Football Hero
Grumpy Old Man

Re: Eriksen or Alli

Post by Football Hero »

Archy wrote:I'm completely open minded about this and am happy to be persuaded either way, but how have you reached the conclusion that Alli has a superior points record than Eriksen?

I can see that both have 121 points this season from 19 appearances.

Eriksen got 178 last year from 35 appearances and Alli got 166 from 33 appearances.

There may be some nuances behind those stats, but to me it doesn't seem certain at all that the results clearly prove Alli is superior, which seems to be the foundation of your argument?

Also, If we are going to talk about consistentcy, how about looking at it from another angle: Eriksen looks pretty much nailed on for 90 minutes each week (he has only missed 9 minutes in total from the last 16 games) whereas Alli is much more prone to missing game time or being subbed off early (perhaps because he is less robust and more injury prone?). This in my mind reinforces Eriksen as the more "solid" choice.
For this season, Alli has had a couple of appearances where he did not start and came on for 23 minutes in each, so that swings this season slightly in his favour if we assume we are picking Alli during a period where he is nailed on in Pochettino's mind, (like currently say, where we know that Poch is going to 100% start Alli as he is performing so well).

As for last season, I wasn't aware of the appearances that the minutes were broken down into, (Alli had a few sub appearances at the start of the season where he was gradually breaking into the team and establishing himself, whereas Eriksen was already an established starter going into the season). So as a result I have just looked at a points per minute perspective and Eriksen's from last season was 0.061, and Alli's was 0.067. So Alli's points per game/appearance would have been more favourable had he gone into the season already established imo.

So Eriksen has a ppm of 0.061 last season and 0.069 this season.

Alli has a ppm of 0.067 last season and 0.079 this season.

So during a period where we feel that Alli is fit and will start, then he is the better pick imo. During period's where Alli, (and Spurs in general), have been poor for a while, he might start to get dropped more readily over Eriksen, and so we should be transferring him out.

Archy
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Maybe all is not lost after all

Post by Archy »

Thats fair enough Hero but i think the fact that Alli gets subbed more will mean any PPM comparison will skew this analysis in his favour.

Taking the last 8 games (in which both players have been fit and starting each game).

Eriksen has 74 points from 712 minutes (0.104 PPM)
Alli has 73 points from 638 minutes (0.114 PPM)

So Eriksen has his nose ahead in points but Alli wins quite comfortably on a PPM measure.

Football Hero
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Football Hero »

Archy wrote:Thats fair enough Hero but i think the fact that Alli gets subbed more will mean any PPM comparison will skew this analysis in his favour.

Taking the last 8 games (in which both players have been fit and starting each game).

Eriksen has 74 points from 712 minutes (0.104 PPM)
Alli has 73 points from 638 minutes (0.114 PPM)

So Eriksen has his nose ahead in points but Alli wins quite comfortably on a PPM measure.
Yeah, this season and last, they have been fairly close for sure, I'm not by any stretch saying that this is an easy decision of Alli being far superior to Eriksen, this isn't an Ozil/Sanchez type disparity in performance, it's a much closer run thing akin to Firmino/Coutinho say.

Alli and Eriksen are level on points with 121 a piece, but Eriksen has started 20 games and Alli has started 18 games. I think during a period where we can be sure of both players starting, (which is always one of the conditions when selecting a player, that you'll think they will start in the run of games that you are transferring them in for), then the slight nod goes to Alli in my opinion, and the poll at the top of this thread reflects that, so there are others on here too that think the same.

Ruth_NZ
Grumpy Old Gorilla

Post by Ruth_NZ »

I posted this on FFS around 6 weeks ago:

"Alli showed last season that he has a greater goal threat than Eriksen. He also had a higher points-per-game (6.4ppg for Alli against 5.7ppg for Eriksen). He has been out injured but has played well in recent games (against Chelsea and CSKA for example). And he has a good partnership with Kane, who has been missing for much of the season."

I don't see any reason to change that view. I have Spurs season-ticket holders in my extended family (brother's wife's family) and they told me over Xmas that Eriksen is an improved player this season. They were worried at the time that things had gone to Alli's head a bit but that is clearly settled now. I think that now - while Spurs have no Europe to deal with - is a prime time for Spurs assets but they have two tough away fixtures in the next 4 so I'm happy running with just one.

In the end, Alli has the greater goal threat compared to Eriksen and that's more important than assists. Meanwhile I don't have room for Kane without losing Zlatan. So I'm happy to run with just Alli myself.

Football Hero
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Football Hero »

Ruth_NZ wrote:I posted this on FFS around 6 weeks ago:

"Alli showed last season that he has a greater goal threat than Eriksen. He also had a higher points-per-game (6.4ppg for Alli against 5.7ppg for Eriksen). He has been out injured but has played well in recent games (against Chelsea and CSKA for example). And he has a good partnership with Kane, who has been missing for much of the season."

I don't see any reason to change that view. I have Spurs season-ticket holders in my extended family (brother's wife's family) and they told me over Xmas that Eriksen is an improved player this season. They were worried at the time that things had gone to Alli's head a bit but that is clearly settled now. I think that now - while Spurs have no Europe to deal with - is a prime time for Spurs assets but they have two tough away fixtures in the next 4 so I'm happy running with just one.

In the end, Alli has the greater goal threat compared to Eriksen and that's more important than assists. Meanwhile I don't have room for Kane without losing Zlatan. So I'm happy to run with just Alli myself.
There we are, I suspected there was a slight edge to Alli. Thank you Ruth.

What I would say about Spurs' fixtures though, is that yes, they have two tough games in the next four, but then looking at them another way, you could also say that after the next game is out of the way, Spurs have a great run of games up to at least GW33, and maybe even up to GW38 if you account for Leicester being rubbish this season so the away trip in GW34 is not really a problem, and the Arsenal and Man Utd games in GW35 and GW37 are both at home so not too big a problem either.

Ruth_NZ
Grumpy Old Gorilla

Post by Ruth_NZ »

No point looking much beyond GW28. Blanks that week will destroy a lot of plans.

Turd Ferguson
FISOhead

Post by Turd Ferguson »

Reviving this thread. With hazard's blank it looks like hazard > Spurs mid will be popular. Alli has been on fire lately but is it sustainable? Is he fundamentally better than eriksen for fpl?

cesc408
Grumpy Old Man

Post by cesc408 »

Just done Hazard :arrow: Alli

Archy
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Maybe all is not lost after all

Post by Archy »

I think I've seen strong enough arguments here to convince me that bringing in Alli (for Hazard) is a sensible move.

Will be playing both him and Eriksen until further notice :D

Bob Newhart
FISO Knight

Post by Bob Newhart »

Too many pros for both and not enough cons for either = a double transfer.

Will be running with both for a while - has the added advantage of enabling me to keep my forward line intact without feeling the need for 'arry again.

Carlos Kickaball
Dumbledore

Post by Carlos Kickaball »

Archy has his fingers crossed for Spurs winning 7-1. :mrgreen:

Finisher1
Dumbledore

Post by Finisher1 »

Carlos Kickaball wrote:Archy has his fingers crossed for Spurs winning 7-1. :mrgreen:
He has always done well with Kane though so maybe he is kind of Spurs expert? ;)

Carlos Kickaball
Dumbledore

Post by Carlos Kickaball »

I am sure he is a big Kane fan, and I am a big fan of Alli and Eriksen myself. :)

MoSe
Dumbledore
FS Record: FISODAS CUP Winner Season 25
FISO H2H Winner: 15/16 Div2 - 16/17 Div1
FISO Mirror: 16/17 PL Winner

Post by MoSe »

was considering 2FT
Antonio :arrow: Alli
Costa :arrow: Kane
but I'm 0.2m short... :|

HitachiWasBest
Cheetah

Post by HitachiWasBest »

Have wildcarded this week and selected both. Maybe not for the long term - Alli can be changed for e.g. Coutinho in 1 hit.

Having said that I can't help feeling uncomfortable with 2 mids from 1 team i.e. if Spurs totally bomb in any given game

Oxford NZ
Dumbledore
FS Record: They think it's all over!

Post by Oxford NZ »

Good luck with the wild card. What is your team now?

Weisenwolf
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: 2,234 points; back when this was considered a good score....

Post by Weisenwolf »

HitachiWasBest wrote:Have wildcarded this week and selected both. Maybe not for the long term - Alli can be changed for e.g. Coutinho in 1 hit.

Having said that I can't help feeling uncomfortable with 2 mids from 1 team i.e. if Spurs totally bomb in any given game
If they bomb it's no different from one mid & Kane. In seasons gone by its been standard for Arsenal mids :D

HitachiWasBest
Cheetah

Post by HitachiWasBest »

Oxford NZ wrote:Good luck with the wild card. What is your team now?
De Gea Jakupovic
Pieters Baines Jones Alonso McAuley
Stanislas Alli Eriksen Sanchez Mirallas
Lukaku Crouch Ibrahimovic

0.2 bank

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Fantasy PremierLeague.com (FPL)”