To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

AFCON 2017

A Fantasy Football forum for news on fantasy football games run by the Premierleague (FPL).
TheoRiginal
FISOhead
FS Record: Virginal

AFCON 2017

Post by TheoRiginal »

It might be a little pre-emptive, but to take your mind off the short-term hazards (pun intended) of the November International Break, and for those whose longer-term planning extends further than post Friday night drunken inspiration, I thought it might be handy to start a thread about the 2017 Africa Cup of Nations, which will have a serious impact on many Premier League teams, and accordingly, the Fantasy Football squads.

It starts on 14 January, but players may get called up (and some may develop internationalitis) before then in the New Year, although the previous weekend is the Third Round of the FA Cup, and only a few PL teams with difficult ties are likely to bother fielding full-strength sides, so the African players may be given time off on the understanding that they return as soon as their presence is no longer needed in Gabon, rather than enjoying a little more winter sun than absolutely essential. The AFCON final is scheduled for 5 February, a week after the Fourth Round of the FA Cup, so some players could miss five PL games, if they are not considered for the games on the weekend of the 11 February.

11 of the 16 nations involved are likely to include PL players in their squads, and 16 out of 20 PL sides will probably be impacted to some extent.

Here is the current list of those probably/possibly affected (subject to the New Year transfer window, of course):

Arsenal – Elneny (Egypt)
Bournemouth – Afobe (DR Congo) Gradel (Cote d’Ivoire)
Crystal Palace – Sako (Mali)
Everton - Bolasie (DR Congo) Gueye (Senegal) Niasse (Senegal) ;-)
Hull – Mbokani (DR Congo) Elmohamady (Egypt)
Leicester – Mahrez (Algeria) Slimani (Algeria) Schlupp (Ghana) Amartey (Ghana)
Liverpool – Mane (Senegal)
Manchester City – Toure (Cote d’Ivoire) ;-)
Manchester United – Bailly (Cote d’Ivoire)
Middlesborough – Traore (Mali)
Southampton – Boufal (Morocco)
Stoke – Bony (Cote d’Ivoire) Diouf (Senegal) Sobhi (Egypt)
Sunderland – Ndong (Gabon) Kone (Cote d’Ivoire) Khazri (Tunisia) Djilibodji (Senegal)
Watford – Amrabat (Morocco) Guedioura (Algeria) Djedje (Cote d’Ivoire)
WBA – Nyom (Cameroon)
West Ham – Sakho (Senegal) Kouyate (Senegal) Feghouli (Algeria) Ayew (Ghana)

Burnley, Chelsea, Spurs, and Swansea have no representatives, which will make much simpler in the new year for the managers of those teams - and Guardiola probably won’t be losing much sleep either!

On the other hand Everton, Leicester, and Sunderland are likely to suffer badly, as is Stoke to some extent, and perhaps West Ham if they continue to suffer their injury blight.

The impact on Fantasy managers is likely to be significant, although with nine free transfers still available after this week you can probably afford to focus on whether Sanchez is likely to be available for Arsenal against Manchester United after the break.

In case you are wondering, Nigeria did not qualify, which benefited Chelsea (Moses, Mikel) Arsenal (Iwobi) Leicester (Musa) and Manchester City (Icheanacho).

Congratulations! If you have read this far you almost certainly now know more about Africa than the newly elected President of the Free World.

cesc408
Grumpy Old Man

Re: AFCON 2017

Post by cesc408 »

Looking at the list i don't think it will matter too much FPL wise.

Mane, Mahrez, Bolasie, Bailly, Ayew and possibly Bony looking the main casualties.

Mane no doubt a big miss but im sure another pool mid could come in. 9.0 there's tons of options.
Mahrez yet to hit any form and probably not in anyones thinking as of yet.
Bolasie will be a loss to Everton and at 6.0 seems value especially for non Lukaku owners.
Ayew is interesting. Good value if playing upfront but again not in too many teams atm due to his injury.
Bony well seems more miss then hit atm. Could hit form but theres other decent other options for the 3rd striker role

redcat1
Grumpy Old Man

Post by redcat1 »

Does Matip currently play for Cameroon ?

Pulpy
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Pulpy »

Very good info on the players affected.

There is also the flip side, every first teamer who goes will leave a spot a cheaper alternative could fill. Will it give us a sub 4.5 million defender? Who will take Bolasie's spot? Delafoe, Lennon or Mirallas presumably and all could be decent picks if they get the minutes.

Mane going could be interesting. Either Sturridge will get more gametime and become a realistic option again or one of Lallana or Wijnaldum could be pushed into a more forward role at an attractive price.

For now I'd certainly need a very good reason to transfer in any of the affected players as a short term move. I have none and plan to keep it that way.

TheoRiginal
FISOhead

Post by TheoRiginal »

redcat1 wrote:Does Matip currently play for Cameroon ?
He has apparently told them he is not available for the tournament.

TheoRiginal
FISOhead

Post by TheoRiginal »

Ndong might become available for Sunderland, having been sent home by Gabon for not turning up this week, if that makes sense...

Which might lead to either party deciding his presence won't be required again in January!

I Am Ville
Red & Blue Braces
FS Record: FPL Best 5,025 (16/17)

Post by I Am Ville »

Based on that list, I couldn't give a Fuch!

Mane and Bolasie the only two that have that much of an impact i reckon. Mahrez if he regains form

huwdo
FISOhead

Post by huwdo »

Thanks TheoRiginal. Great post- really helpful.

The other thought I had looking at this was 'which teams could it benefit?' In terms of the opposition who get to play a weakened or unsettled side...

From glancing at the fixtures it potentially benefits Crystal Palace the most, who play West Ham (A), Everton (H), Sunderland (H) and Stoke (A) during this period (making January particularly good for Palace who also play Swansea).

West Brom also host Stoke and Sunderland, and play West Ham away (as well as having away matches at Hull and Middlesborough through Jan..)

Southampton play Leicester and West Ham at home, and Sunderland away (as well as Burnley and Swansea away..)

Notable, but a bit less benefit, for the Manchester clubs. Man City have away matches at Everton and West Ham. Man Utd are away at Leicester and Stoke.

I think that covers it but may easily have missed someone out...

yttod1010
FISOhead

Post by yttod1010 »

I was going to crab firm to mane but I won't bother now

Stemania
FISO Jedi Knight
Location: On the Iron Throne of xG, the seat of The Crown Prince of the Stat Perverts. Or if not, in the STC!
FS Record: Best: TFF 321st. FPL 129th. FFS Career HoF Peak 2nd (Live 1st). Ability since lost.

Post by Stemania »

Fantastic post TR - any updates? :D

Joccki_10
Grumpy Old Joker
FS Record: 16/17: 55 OR, 1 FISO Forum, 1 NLD and FISO Cup Winner

Post by Joccki_10 »

Stemania wrote:Fantastic post TR - any updates? :D
Bolasie won't participate :oops:

SamD
FISO Knight

Eng to IC

Post by SamD »

Wilfried Zaha of Crystal Palace could represent Ivory Coast:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38210159

Scottoffee
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: 2nd in a month on Sky at some point...

Re: Eng to IC

Post by Scottoffee »

SamD wrote:Wilfried Zaha of Crystal Palace could represent Ivory Coast:

He should.

Could go on and be a legend for them, earn loads of caps, potentially win trophies like AFCON / Confed and raise his profile at the World Cup etc.

If he sticks with England, he'll just be another Aaron Lennon / SWP / Downing with a dozen or so caps - mainly as subs - with nothing to show for it and get absolutely crucified in the press every time he doesn't have an amazing game!

Rich2086
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: 09/10--2235--49,014

Post by Rich2086 »

Im tempted to bring Zaha in but with the AFCON on the horizon im might hold off its quite difficult to pick a midfielder in that price range that is in good form and has decent fixtures on the horizon.

MoSe
Dumbledore
FS Record: FISODAS CUP Winner Season 25
FISO H2H Winner: 15/16 Div2 - 16/17 Div1
FISO Mirror: 16/17 PL Winner

Post by MoSe »

TheoRiginal wrote:It starts on 14 January, but players may get called up (and some may develop internationalitis) before then in the New Year,
  • although the previous weekend is the Third Round of the FA Cup, and only a few PL teams with difficult ties are likely to bother fielding full-strength sides,
    so the African players may be given time off on the understanding that they return as soon as their presence is no longer needed in Gabon,
    rather than enjoying a little more winter sun than absolutely essential.
The AFCON final is scheduled for 5 February,
  • a week after the Fourth Round of the FA Cup, so some players could miss five PL games,
    if they are not considered for the games on the weekend of the 11 February
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_Afri ... roup_stage
FPL DGW preview 2016_17.xlsx

The group stage runs from Jan 14 to 25, so players will miss GW21 & 22
QF on 28 & 29, SF on Feb 1st & 2nd, Finals 4 & 5

Players eliminated in a QF would have 2-3-4 days before their midweek GW23 fixture,
depending wheter the QF is on Sat or Sun, and the PL match is on Tue or Wed (3 Wed matches: WHU-MCI. MUN-HUL, STK-EVE)
players should train and keep fit while at a contineltal tournament, the issue could be with knocks and travel fatigue

Similarly for players eliminated at SF level (1-2 Feb) with GW24 played on 4-5 Feb (and Mon 6? tbd)

GW25 will start 6 days after the AFCON final, a normal FPL schedule turnaround...
barring special circumstances, i don't see why it should be affected

in summary
players eliminated after Group stage should only miss GW21 & 22
those out at QF might still make it in time for GW23, but they'll likely miss it anyway
those advancing to SF should miss GW24 too

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

What about the fact players can be called up in advance (is it 14 days under UEFA rules???) - did you factor that in?

Have read Mane could be missing from about Jan 2nd which would tie in with my theory.

ZeroRemorse
Grumpy Old Man

Re: Eng to IC

Post by ZeroRemorse »

SamD wrote:Wilfried Zaha of Crystal Palace could represent Ivory Coast:

I heard Gareth Southgate was in talks with him to try persuade him to stay. Fair enough to, I think he will feature more consistently if he keeps up his current form. He's only 24 and he's an extremely good player.

Liverpool losing Mane is a huge blow, the only thing positive around that period for them is the return of Coutinho, they must buy smartly as well.

Paulista
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Paulista »

Will Zaha actually be called up to the Ivory Coast squad though? It does seem rather unorthodox that a player would make their international debut at a major tournament.

ZeroRemorse
Grumpy Old Man

Post by ZeroRemorse »

Paulista wrote:Will Zaha actually be called up to the Ivory Coast squad though? It does seem rather unorthodox that a player would make their international debut at a major tournament.
What baffles me is he's made 2 senior appearances for England, but is still able to play for the Ivory Coast, what's that shit about?

jacksosi
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: TFF : 87th 06/07 ; FPL 1401st 08/09 ; 5AS champions 21/22 🔫🍸

Post by jacksosi »

ZeroRemorse wrote:
Paulista wrote:Will Zaha actually be called up to the Ivory Coast squad though? It does seem rather unorthodox that a player would make their international debut at a major tournament.
What baffles me is he's made 2 senior appearances for England, but is still able to play for the Ivory Coast, what's that shit about?
"Abidjan-born Zaha grew up in England and won two caps for the Three Lions, but because they were in friendly games he is allowed to switch allegiance."

ZeroRemorse
Grumpy Old Man

Post by ZeroRemorse »

jacksosi wrote:
ZeroRemorse wrote:
"Abidjan-born Zaha grew up in England and won two caps for the Three Lions, but because they were in friendly games he is allowed to switch allegiance."
Still ridiculous. Once you've played for the senior team you have committed your allegiance.

MoSe
Dumbledore
FS Record: FISODAS CUP Winner Season 25
FISO H2H Winner: 15/16 Div2 - 16/17 Div1
FISO Mirror: 16/17 PL Winner

Post by MoSe »

sorry for the late reply,
had internet access difficulties 2hrs ago when my company's proxy decided to get in the way :roll:
then got called up in a department meeting :roll: :roll:
murf wrote:What about the fact players can be called up in advance (is it 14 days under UEFA rules???) - did you factor that in?

Have read Mane could be missing from about Jan 2nd which would tie in with my theory.
not actually, or rather, I dismissed the chance...

GW20 is played on Mon the 2nd, with 3 matches on the 3rd (BOU-ARS CRY-SWA STK-WAT) and only TOT-CHE on the 4th
the 4 ACoN groups actually start staggered by 1 day beginning from Jan 14th (then 15-16-17)
Mané's Senegal play in Gr.B with 1st match on 15th
can't recall exactly about the 14 days rule, it could well be (*), but I figure NTs can reach agreements with clubs for 1 day more or less, case by case
Liverpool plays Mon the 2nd at 3pm gmt, maybe he'll be missing from 5pm AFTER that match..... :? :wink:

(*) for Fifa international break matches it's 4 days (home) or 5 (away)
I agree that for a major, full fledged tournament it should be longer
the ACoN Regulations page tho http://admin.cafonline.com/en-us/compet ... egulations
is empty of documents!!! :lol:

huwdo
FISOhead

Post by huwdo »

When he announced the switch he was pictured with the President of the Ivorian Football Federation and the team's coach..:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38128178

To me that suggests he'd at least be in the squad...

Paulista
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Paulista »

Nyom won't play for Cameroon in the African Nations Cup, he wants to stay at West Brom and keep his left-back spot. Neither will Matip as we already knew earlier.

However,
Cameroon's football federation (Fecafoot) can ask FIFA to suspend the players at club level for the duration of the tournament, which ends on Feb. 6, if they so desire.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/reuter ... s-Cup.html

Aldershot Rejects
Dumbledore
FS Record: 5th Metro (2010-11); 146 - Sky (2015-16); 218 - Sky (2014-15); 386 - Sky (2020-21); 636 - FPL (2017-18); last 16 Sky Cup (2018-19)

Post by Aldershot Rejects »

Paulista wrote:Nyom won't play for Cameroon in the African Nations Cup, he wants to stay at West Brom and keep his left-back spot. Neither will Matip as we already knew earlier.

However,
Cameroon's football federation (Fecafoot) can ask FIFA to suspend the players at club level for the duration of the tournament, which ends on Feb. 6, if they so desire.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/reuter ... s-Cup.html
Weird, when I clicked on this thread I was thinking I could really do with Nyom not going to AFCON as will nicely fill a gap in my team around then. :o

ZeroRemorse
Grumpy Old Man

Post by ZeroRemorse »

Still no update on Zaha, but from what I hear fans saying, he's just trying to force Englands hand. Pardeux is basically begging England to call him up, he'll probably have a stroke if Zaha goes off to Africa middle of January.

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

pottster
Dumbledore
FS Record: Regularly finishing in the top 100

Post by pottster »

blahblah wrote:Linky for those interested: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38385694
I take it from that that those who don't go will be 'barred' from playing in the prem while the tournament is on/as long as Cameroon stays in the tournament, clear as mud :?

As the final squad hasn't been announced yet is their some mischief here to get a bit more reward for those who get picked and go :?

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

I genuinely don't know, I just posted the link....

My guess is that it is a T&C based player uprising, though.

Paulista
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Paulista »

Maybe Pardew will give a Zaha update during his presser, but the deadline to submit squads for the tournament is Friday 30th December.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Fantasy PremierLeague.com (FPL)”