To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Best Budget Defenders

A Fantasy Football forum for news on fantasy football games run by the Premierleague (FPL).
Paulista
Grumpy Old Man

Re: Best Budget Defenders

Post by Paulista »

I suppose if he gets booked next week, then he'll miss the trip to Anfield where most would bench him anyway.

Watford have 3 home in the next 4, Bournemouth have 3 away in the next 4, so perhaps I'll go for Holebas.

WBA defenders look good again from GW12.

By GW12 a budget defence of Pieters, Holebas, Evans, Smith, Kingsley looks good to go. F the premiums :mrgreen:

matmutte
FISOhead

Post by matmutte »

I brought Holebas in my team when he already was on 4 YC, he has returned 26 points in 3 games since. Just saying, beware of focusing too much on this suspension stuff especiallu for cheap defenders

Paulista
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Paulista »

Holebas and Zuniga both look like rising tonight. Am I correct in thinking that Zuniga is only a placeholder until Janmaat is back in a couple of weeks?

ZeroRemorse
Grumpy Old Man

Post by ZeroRemorse »

Having shipped Friend out earlier in the season when he picked up an injury I think I'll be certainly bringing him back in. Boro were the best defensive outfit in the Championship division and made a similar run to Leicester, winning a lot of 1-0's.

Weisenwolf
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: 2,234 points; back when this was considered a good score....

Post by Weisenwolf »

Where are we with the budget defenders now?

cesc408
Grumpy Old Man

Post by cesc408 »

Amat! Great option if you don't want to get any points

Weisenwolf
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Weisenwolf »

Therein lies the issue; little below £4.4M worth having

Joccki_10
Grumpy Old Joker
FS Record: 16/17: 55 OR, 1 FISO Forum, 1 NLD and FISO Cup Winner

Post by Joccki_10 »

Amat is a permanent bench fodder. Bringing in a cheaper one when I've got a spare transfer. That's basically never.

Vsz
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Won lots of cash leagues and was once, very briefly, top of TFF. Finished 15th too. Various top 5K and 10K FPL finishes

Post by Vsz »

Think with Amat is that even when he does play he doesn't seem to get any points!

I have him and imagine he'll stay.

ctibbits
Dumbledore
FS Record: Won "The Bet" 2014/15

Post by ctibbits »

Fabio, and now Kingsley apparently going to get a shot again. Likely to be a major headache just like last time he was in everyones teams though.

bigcliff2
Dumbledore
FS Record: Rubbish

Post by bigcliff2 »

Pretty sure I've had Amat since GW1 and pretty sure I started him once

Ruth_NZ
Grumpy Old Gorilla

Post by Ruth_NZ »

I just don't get why, for the sake of 0.3m, people would rather have 14 players than 15. :?

Rich2086
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: 09/10--2235--49,014

Post by Rich2086 »

Dont know if this has been mentioned but Yoshida might be a good shout short term but Southamptons fixtures are decent.

bigcliff2
Dumbledore
FS Record: Rubbish

Post by bigcliff2 »

Ruth_NZ wrote:I just don't get why, for the sake of 0.3m, people would rather have 14 players than 15. :?
Sometimes less choice is easier. I basically have one decision to make every week. Bench one defender who isn't Cahill. Diomande and Amat on the bench permanently.

Weisenwolf
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Weisenwolf »

Ruth_NZ wrote:I just don't get why, for the sake of 0.3m, people would rather have 14 players than 15. :?
I'm beginning to come around to this way of thinking. I wouldn't have the problem I have now if I didn't have Holgate as a permanench :roll:

Kevlar
Wideboy

Post by Kevlar »

I've finally bitten the bullet and shipped out Amat for Chambers. The Boro fan opposite me thinks he'll be fine for clean sheets and stands as good a chance as anyone attacking corners as he always goes up for them.

Beerfuelledman
FISO Knight
FS Record: FISO 17/18 FPL Cash Draft League Winner

Post by Beerfuelledman »

Papa Digitalbody is playing regularly for 4.3m...

redcat1
Grumpy Old Man

Post by redcat1 »

Rich2086 wrote:Dont know if this has been mentioned but Yoshida might be a good shout short term but Southamptons fixtures are decent.
Was thinking the same, I reckon Fonte has is out of the starting eleven now. Haven't heard many strong rumours of a defender coming in so can see Yoshida getting a run.

Sutter Kane
Dumbledore
FS Record: Unknown.

Post by Sutter Kane »

Joccki_10 wrote:Amat is a permanent bench fodder. Bringing in a cheaper one when I've got a spare transfer. That's basically never.
Basically this. It's not worth a transfer to avail an additional cheap rotational option unless one is going spare.

If Yoshida can cement a place, then he might be worth considering but again, it's a transfer. Most cheap defenders tick over averaging 3-4 points in a rotation unless you are lucky; it's not great but the amount you can gain with an attacking transfer far outweighs messing with the backline.

It's funny how you think your squad is nicely positioned/settled and it NEVER is - there never seems to be a spare transfer...maybe it's just me!

Also the less options thing, especially if you have attacking defenders. They can notch something in most games so are worth playing in all but the really tough games. eg. Brunt.

MoSe
Dumbledore
FS Record: FISODAS CUP Winner Season 25
FISO H2H Winner: 15/16 Div2 - 16/17 Div1
FISO Mirror: 16/17 PL Winner

Post by MoSe »

It of course depends on:

- how many times do you foresee that 15th man will actually make way into your XI, either starting or subbing on?

- which improved player(s) are you thinking you can afford with the spared 0.3m?

< expunged longwinded obvious explanations > ;)

in short:
Q: "why, for the sake of 0.3m, people would rather have 14 players than 15"
A: OF COURSE because THEY THINK that the BENEFITS are greater than the COSTS

obvious Q, obvious A

:?

Turd Ferguson
FISOhead

Post by Turd Ferguson »

This topic is probably worthy of its own thread. It's intimately related to the question of team value. How much is an extra .1 worth? If you take the extra .3 or .4 and put it in your first 11, you get that value every week of the season.

Weigh that against how many times your 5th defender will actually play, and what their point expectations are in those games (probably less than 3 points a game).

This is a question that should be answered by math but it's a tricky analysis.

Ruth_NZ
Grumpy Old Gorilla

Post by Ruth_NZ »

MoSe wrote:It of course depends on:

- how many times do you foresee that 15th man will actually make way into your XI, either starting or subbing on?

- which improved player(s) are you thinking you can afford with the spared 0.3m?

In short:
Q: "Why, for the sake of 0.3m, people would rather have 14 players than 15?"
A: OF COURSE because THEY THINK that the BENEFITS are greater than the COSTS :?
Well, yes. But essentially what I was implying was that I think it's a mistaken approach. Let's say you have Chambers, Pieters, Mee as your cheapest 3 defenders. That's 13.4m. You have 3 rotation options and can pick the best fixture every week. Your first sub defender may also have a decent fixture.

By comparison you switch Chambers for Amat and spend 13.1m. You have saved 0.3m but now only have 2 rotation options and your first bench defender is more likely to have an atrocious fixture.

One way you have 13.4m providing options and benefits for you. The other way you have 9.0m doing that, 4.1m dead budget and 0.3m spare. That's why I don't get it. I think the underlying reasoning is flawed.

@ Turd Ferguson

Why do you need a "5th defender" though? That's what I am questioning. Why not just 5 defenders you can use in rotation? There doesn't need to be a specified 5th that you always bench.

It's different in midfield, for example, because the price gap between a playing bench midfielder (4.3m) and a playing starting midfielder (5.1m at least) is much bigger. In defence you are talking about a very small price gap.

Ruth_NZ
Grumpy Old Gorilla

Post by Ruth_NZ »

Weisenwolf wrote:
I'm beginning to come around to this way of thinking. I wouldn't have the problem I have now if I didn't have Holgate as a permanench :roll:
Yeah. With the kind of TV you have it seems very unnecessary.

Turd Ferguson
FISOhead

Post by Turd Ferguson »

Ruth_NZ wrote:
@ Turd Ferguson

Why do you need a "5th defender" though? That's what I am questioning. Why not just 5 defenders you can use in rotation? There doesn't need to be a specified 5th that you always bench.
Of course you can have 5 defenders in rotation. But one of the 5 will make fewer appearances than the rest because his expected points are the lowest.

To boil it down to a simple thought experiment: pick 1 of 3 from three 4.5 defenders, or pick 1 of 2 from a 5.0 and a 4.5 defender with a 4.0 who never plays. There are of course more nuances. Maybe you have five 4.5's and try to rotate them all, or you're willing to rotate a 4.5 in for a premium given certain fixtures, or you like to play 4-4-2 at times. But at its simplest, the choice is to upgrade a 4.5 to a 5.0. I don't know what the answer is. I need to see some numbers before I decide.

Beerfuelledman
FISO Knight
FS Record: FISO 17/18 FPL Cash Draft League Winner

Post by Beerfuelledman »

Hmm. With Anichibie out, Ibrahimovic doubtful and now Bellerin red flagged I dont think I can afford to watch and see what happens with Ake as I face going into GW21 with 10 men :?
Might have to take Ake out for a hit just to field 11 :? Chambers/Yoshida potentially front runners...

Carlos Kickaball
Dumbledore

Post by Carlos Kickaball »

I generally agree with Ruth, it's good to aim for 15 players all playing; cover for injuries and better rotation. The exception I would make is if you need to bring in someone cheaper to make a transfer, earlier in the season I wanted to get Hazard without losing Sánchez, and to do it I needed to buy 3.9 Lenihan, so I did it rather than take a hit and sell another player I wanted to keep.

Stemania
FISO Jedi Knight
Location: On the Iron Throne of xG, the seat of The Crown Prince of the Stat Perverts. Or if not, in the STC!
FS Record: Best: TFF 321st. FPL 129th. FFS Career HoF Peak 2nd (Live 1st). Ability since lost.

Post by Stemania »

It's only very recently (big sections of this season and parts of last) that there hasn't been a fairly decent selection of playing 4m defenders making them pretty much default choices for D5. It's just one of FPL's recent improvement on player pricing and one I quite like tbh, makes us have to think more about how the cash is best spend there. :D

If anyone is resigned to intentionally getting a non-player they may as well buy a 3.9m imo (though if possible it's probably worth waiting to see if Amat gets his place back before choosing to do so). But that's a full 0.5m below what I would say is the first decent playing 5th defender (Kelly, Nyom at 4.4m, say). I'm not sure I'd want to pay an extra 0.4m over a non-player just to have a Sunderland/Swansea/Hull defender fielded over a mediocre fixture from a decent defence every 6th week or so. (But perhaps Palace signing Schlupp will mean Ward to RB and Keppy out the team, so with Nyom still not cleared to play that whole 4.4m and below looks decidedly dicey to me).

One of those things where it surely depends on individual circumstances more than anything. My team has a relatively low spend in defence and a non-playing 5th mid so atm it's tough for me to bring in a non-player there. But, for example, there seems to be plenty of teams with two fairly hefty defenders atm (say Chelsea & Man United) and with the likes of Brunt/WBA available (and say Palace or the cheaper end of Everton with good fixtures too) as options for D3 - so the bench probably doesn't need to be so strong and the extra 0.4/0.5m may constitute a defensive overspend for those teams. :?

In fact, it looks to me like it's easier to get away without a defensive rotation system for spells than ever before, and just play good value defenders every week (or have one covering). It's one of the things that has suffered in recent years under FPLs repricing, in the same way that rotating goalkeepers has for example. Where they used to be default best strategies, now they are just strategy choices that might be better at different points of the season for different teams. Fun times, but perhaps that's a different conversation entirely. :D

Weisenwolf
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Weisenwolf »

Ruth_NZ wrote:
Weisenwolf wrote:
Well quite, and similar to BFM I have Bellerin in red, Brunt & Ibra yellow along with Ake & Holgate doubtful starters. Even if I swap out Bellerin for someone who will play I still need Ibra and one of the other defenders to play otherwise I can't field 11. If Holgate were someone like Chambers I would only be depending on any one of Ibra, Brunt or Ake to play and that's a reasonable risk to take.

As it is my sensible move is to do Bellerin & Holgate for 2 playing defenders (suggestions welcome) which will cost me a hit which surely goes some way to reinforcing Ruth's argument (which is fast becoming my argument too) and hope that gives me 11 players.

Weisenwolf
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Weisenwolf »

Weisenwolf wrote:
Ruth_NZ wrote:
Weisenwolf wrote:
Well quite, and similar to BFM I have Bellerin in red, Brunt & Ibra yellow along with Ake & Holgate doubtful starters. Even if I swap out Bellerin for someone who will play I still need Ibra and one of the other defenders to play otherwise I can't field 11. If Holgate were someone like Chambers I would only be depending on any one of Ibra, Brunt or Ake to play and that's a reasonable risk to take.

As it is my sensible move is to do Bellerin & Holgate for 2 playing defenders (suggestions welcome) which will cost me a hit which surely goes some way to reinforcing Ruth's argument (which is fast becoming my argument too) and hope that gives me 11 players.
And now Costa is out too!

I'm really happy how this eff wildcard is turning out :evil:

Gambit
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Gambit »

Weisenwolf wrote:
Ruth_NZ wrote:
Weisenwolf wrote:

there is nothing wrong with Ibra, look at that interview I posted up in the presser thread, he's a picture of health :D

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Fantasy PremierLeague.com (FPL)”