To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Is 3-5-2 the way to go this season?

A Fantasy Football forum for news on fantasy football games run by the Premierleague (FPL).
Baxter92
Wideboy

Post by Baxter92 »

This post/thread may have already been made, or something similar, but I have been thinking about this while looking at my team the past week.

As there are countless good options in midfield, at a good price point too, and not too many good striker options..is 3-5-2 the way to go this year?

In midfield, I have my eye on Son, Walcott, Lallana/Coutinho/Firmino, Sterling, Sanchez to name just a few and many of them I am considering (some of which I own). However, when I look at striker options, i'm not convinced. For instance, comparing Benteke with Son/Walcott at the same price point. I think i'd much rather have Son.

So, even though I currently yield the classic 3-4-3 formation with Capoue, I feel as though you would get much more for your buck playing 3-5-2 with the given options.

What are people's thoughts?

gallus
Grumpy Old Man

Re: Is 3-5-2 the way to go this season?

Post by gallus »

I'm generally against 3-5-2, but there's much more value in midfield than attack this season imo. Can you honestly say you prefer Benteke over Walcott, Son, Sterling and Coutinho?

Aldershot Rejects
Dumbledore
FS Record: 5th Metro (2010-11); 146 - Sky (2015-16); 218 - Sky (2014-15); 386 - Sky (2020-21); 636 - FPL (2017-18); last 16 Sky Cup (2018-19)

Post by Aldershot Rejects »

gallus wrote:I'm generally against 3-5-2, but there's much more value in midfield than attack this season imo. Can you honestly say you prefer Benteke over Walcott, Son, Sterling and Coutinho?
I'm seriously contemplating it for next week - maybe using Vokes as 3rd forward with Sanchez - Stirling - Antonio - Walcott - Firmino in midfield (at least initially). If more 8-10m forward options become appealing it is only 2 transfers to switch back.

Baxter92
Wideboy

Post by Baxter92 »

gallus wrote: Can you honestly say you prefer Benteke over Walcott, Son, Sterling and Coutinho?
That's exactly it, i can't. I think all of them will outscore him this season.

Additionally, I know the usual argument is that you have the 5th midfielder to come in and get you 2/3 points and its more difficult to find that in a striker, but what's the problem with simply playing a 4 defender as your first sub option? Still 2 points, more chance in an additional 4 points.

I don't wanna turn this into an RMT, but a midfield of Sterling, Lallana, Sanchez, Walcott, Son looks very appealing. Also, it's not too pricey and gives you the option of having 2 tasty strikers. I haven't done the calculations, but i'm sure if you went cheap in defence, you'd probably be able to afford Ibra/Kun up top.

Multiple Scorgasms
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Multiple Scorgasms »

I have contemplated it due to the performing mids. I have tried this system before but always went back to 3 up top.

Sent from my Hudl 2 using Tapatalk

gallus
Grumpy Old Man

Post by gallus »

Multiple Scorgasms wrote:I have contemplated it due to the performing mids. I have tried this system before but always went back to 3 up top.

Sent from my Hudl 2 using Tapatalk
it's never worked for me either, but I'm giving it another shot. there are so many mids who are actually playing as strikers that it might just work this year.

The Libero
Wideboy

Post by The Libero »

Definitely worth considering.

The question is what you do with your 3rd striker. Do you really go bargain basement with someone like Stuani, Diomande or do you go for someone £6m plus like Austin, Gray and then hope they don't score every week when they are on your bench (last year I had Ighalo from the start of the season and missed about 5 of his goals on my bench playing 3-5-2!)

SFC_Fan
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: FPL: 1276, 1804, 2924, 9139, 18292, 22,120.

Post by SFC_Fan »

You have to go 4.5-5 to make it viable. Having a 6m striker on your bench every week negates the strength in midfield.

I like 352 but I think with Capoue as such a strong 5th mid it makes 343 much stronger. Now if you made Capoue your 4th mid and bough in Stuani for your 3rd striker or frees up a lot of funds.

gallus
Grumpy Old Man

Post by gallus »

The Libero wrote:Definitely worth considering.

The question is what you do with your 3rd striker. Do you really go bargain basement with someone like Stuani, Diomande or do you go for someone £6m plus like Austin, Gray and then hope they don't score every week when they are on your bench (last year I had Ighalo from the start of the season and missed about 5 of his goals on my bench playing 3-5-2!)
non playing 4.4 for me. I'd never play Stuani and 6.0 on the bench is a crime.

Geri
Red & Blue Braces

Post by Geri »

gallus wrote:
The Libero wrote:Definitely worth considering.

non playing 4.4 for me. I'd never play Stuani and 6.0 on the bench is a crime.
Maybe a compromise for me. A 4.6 Diamonde as first/second sub is IMO better than any other non Capoue under 5.0 mid.

Weisenwolf
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: 2,234 points; back when this was considered a good score....

Post by Weisenwolf »

Trouble is I have:

Lukaku 8 points this week
Costa 12 points this week
Aguero yet to play

So who do I dump?

Kak for Benteke is a possible but I would want him to play. So it's Kak for a bench warmer but who? I was planning Costa for the drop on account of being 1 yellow from a ban with a bad fixture list, but with 12 points this GW......

Yea the Poolers look good but I'm bound to pick the wrong one and the financial jiggery pokery means a hit; maybe two.

I think I may have to opt for 'life without a Pool mid'

Calvin1979
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Ruined by real life responsibilities

Post by Calvin1979 »

Weisenwolf wrote:Trouble is I have:

Aguero yet to play

So who do I dump?
I have the same front three and can confirm the answer is no one.

Owsler
Dumbledore

Post by Owsler »

Time to bench Capoue.

The Libero
Wideboy

Post by The Libero »

Weisenwolf wrote:Trouble is I have:

Aguero yet to play

So who do I dump?
Well this undermines the whole case for 3-5-2 argument which is based on there being more high scoring options in midfield than up front. If there are three prolific sources of goals up front then why take the chance...

Notned
FISO Knight

Post by Notned »

Getting increasingly tempted, with no striker really making a strong claim for that third slot.

The Libero
Wideboy

Post by The Libero »

Notned wrote:Getting increasingly tempted, with no striker really making a strong claim for that third slot.
Defoe?
He has more points than Ibrahimovic and only one fewer than Aguero.

Costa and Lukaku both have more than Aguero.

gallus
Grumpy Old Man

Post by gallus »

The Libero wrote:
Notned wrote:Getting increasingly tempted, with no striker really making a strong claim for that third slot.
Defoe?

sure, but Aguero has 2 games less.

Mike1989
Treebeard

Post by Mike1989 »

I did start with the good old 4-3-3, but have switched to 3-5-2. I'm debating a few defensive moves to free up some cash to upgrade my third striker at which point I could switch between 3-5-2 and 3-4-3 quite easily.

Based off the point systems I think going with three at the back is the best. I guess if your defenders regularly pick up clean sheets, the odd assist or goal, then they can add in consistent value. But I tend to find three at the back with more value in midfield and up front gets higher points totals.

DanCaek
Grumpy Old Man

Post by DanCaek »

I've had the same thoughts, and am balls deep wildcarding to 3-5-2 at the mo, at the expense of Costa and Lukaku...

Heaton, Pickford
Bellerin, Stones, Smith, Cameron, Amat
Sanchez, Firmino, Sterling, Walcott, Son
Aguero, Deeney, Diomande

It looks a strong template on paper... :P

Notned
FISO Knight

Post by Notned »

The Libero wrote:
Defoe?

Yeah, Defoe would be my front-runner in a 3-4-3. The other option is Son in for Capoue in a 3-5-2. Both feel viable options.

Brunauge
Treebeard

Post by Brunauge »

I started GW 1 and 2 with 3-4-3. Did OK.

But ever since GW3 I went with 3-5-2 and my ranking skyrocketed. Of course there is an amount of luck involved. But I agree with people arguing that there's better value in midfield in comparison to the forwards.

My personal opinion is that form isn't everything, but fixtures are more important in long run. So imo its better to choose f.ex Sanchez, Walcott, Deeney, Payet etc who has a nice run of fixtures instead of Aguero/Ibra

Mav3rick
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FPL: 1082, 1201, 1800, 10203

The stats are dark and full of errors.

Post by Mav3rick »

Great rank Brunauge well done!

Aldershot Rejects
Dumbledore
FS Record: 5th Metro (2010-11); 146 - Sky (2015-16); 218 - Sky (2014-15); 386 - Sky (2020-21); 636 - FPL (2017-18); last 16 Sky Cup (2018-19)

Post by Aldershot Rejects »

Indeed, superb going so far Burnauge.

Brunauge
Treebeard

Post by Brunauge »

Aldershot Rejects wrote:Indeed, superb going so far Burnauge.
thanks to both of you, but I seriously doubt I can keep this up. Never have before, just been extremely lucky.

I'm actually contemplating going back to a 3-4-3. Deeney seems like a sound option with good fixtures, and Bolasie hasnt impressed so far.

Decisions, decisions.

Joccki_10
Grumpy Old Joker
FS Record: 16/17: 55 OR, 1 FISO Forum, 1 NLD and FISO Cup Winner

Post by Joccki_10 »

If I was to wildcard right now, I would maybe even take a punt on Allen (4.8m) as my fifth playing midfielder and go 3-5-2 with an upgrade in defence. I know there probably aren't many managers who share this thought, but looking at their (Stoke) fixtures, you can play Allen for the next seven gameweeks. On set pieces, attacking role. Only to hope Stoke will get their stuff together before it's too late.

Allen as fifth mid in a 3-5-2 formation would allow you to upgrade at least one of your defenders (which is what some of us are looking for right now considering the few clean sheets) or another midfielder/second striker. Or maybe even keep money on the bench for a Belgian return (De Bruyne/Hazard)?

However like I said there won't be many of you who'd like to go this way so you may all forget this post right now :lol:

ricardo68
FISOhead

Post by ricardo68 »

With Sanchez, De Bruyne, Sterling, Son, Walcott, Antonio, Payet, Capoue, Firmino (Coutinho, Mane), Ozil, Hazard etc all looking good I can see people having Aguero and Defoe up front and the best five midfielders they can afford.

Carlb5253
FISOhead

Post by Carlb5253 »

Why is everyone discounting Costa?

Baxter92
Wideboy

Post by Baxter92 »

Carlb5253 wrote:Why is everyone discounting Costa?
I don't think people are discounting Costa, or anybody for that matter. I think it's merely pointing out that there is a lot of value in midfield this year, which is turn, can provide a much more balanced team whilst still producing good scores (arguable of course). There are even some playing OOP as strikers, and many in my opinion (if they continue to perform as they are) which are priced well below what they should be.

For example, if Son/Walcott continue producing the scores that they have been (very possible given the new attitude - especially the latter) then surely Walcott [7.7 + 2.3] is much better than Costa [10.0]?

I'm not saying it's definitive because there are many other factors such as captain possibilities etc which Costa or whoever can offer you.

Just something to consider i guess.

Paulista
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Paulista »

I'm sticking with Costa, been happy with his steady stream of points, and two home games at the bridge in the next two GW's. He's on 4 yellows, but if he keeps clean GW8, and then picks up a yellow in GW9, then he'll miss the League Cup match instead. Hopefully Costa and Conte are aware of this.

Cornish Gooner
Treebeard

Post by Cornish Gooner »

Paulista wrote:I'm sticking with Costa, been happy with his steady stream of points, and two home games at the bridge in the next two GW's. He's on 4 yellows, but if he keeps clean GW8, and then picks up a yellow in GW9, then he'll miss the League Cup match instead. Hopefully Costa and Conte are aware of this.
Same here, I had planned to ship him this gameweek but he produced once again and it seems to be a case of whenever Chelsea score he'll be heavily involved. Unlike the majority of the other in form sides who are sharing points around.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Fantasy PremierLeague.com (FPL)”