To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Is 3-5-2 the way to go this season?

A Fantasy Football forum for news on fantasy football games run by the Premierleague (FPL).
Aldershot Rejects
Dumbledore
FS Record: 5th Metro (2010-11); 146 - Sky (2015-16); 218 - Sky (2014-15); 386 - Sky (2020-21); 636 - FPL (2017-18); last 16 Sky Cup (2018-19)

Re: Is 3-5-2 the way to go this season?

Post by Aldershot Rejects »

Costa certainly on my radar even though Defoe has scored more. Fixtures are not great though. The main problem though is that his goals don't translate to points; he had 6 goals, Defoe had 4 and yet Defoe has more pts. Questions of value for money therefore need to be raised.

DragonSwag
Treebeard

Post by DragonSwag »

Aldershot Rejects wrote:Costa certainly on my radar even though Defoe has scored more. Fixtures are not great though. The main problem though is that his goals don't translate to points; he had 6 goals, Defoe had 4 and yet Defoe has more pts. Questions of value for money therefore need to be raised.
Am I missing something? Costa is top for points

Aldershot Rejects
Dumbledore
FS Record: 5th Metro (2010-11); 146 - Sky (2015-16); 218 - Sky (2014-15); 386 - Sky (2020-21); 636 - FPL (2017-18); last 16 Sky Cup (2018-19)

Post by Aldershot Rejects »

My mistake, FPL app doesn't seem to have added GW7 into the stats section. Defoe was ahead before last week though ;)

BobMem
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: The Graduates - FISO 5AS H2H Champions 13/14
FISO King of Rock and Roll - Elimination game winner 2015/16

Post by BobMem »

I still think Benteke looks a decent option too. He's scored 3 in 5 so far, and Palace have hardly been pulling up trees. If they improve slightly (or the fixtures do) Benteke could become very good value.

I Am Ville
Red & Blue Braces
FS Record: FPL Best 5,025 (16/17)

Post by I Am Ville »

Really thinking this is the way to go for next 4-5 weeks at least.

I can play Kun and Lukaku up front (4.4 fwd) with midfield of KDB, Theo, Sanchez, antonio (cout/lalana), Capoue (allen)

Weisenwolf
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: 2,234 points; back when this was considered a good score....

Post by Weisenwolf »

Hmm

I have Aguero, Costa & Kak and that still allows me Sanchez. Sterling & Walcott. Admitedly the rest of the team bar Lloris & Kos are pretty budget but I can't see which of the front three I could ditch at this particular moment. Costa & Kak earned this week and as far as Aggy is concerned 'though shalt not....'

Expanding the premise:

Costa has an unattractive fixture list but he's the most consistent pointer in the game, blanked only once in 8 games (v Arsenal) but that includes points v Liverpool & Leicester.

Kak has blanked on one occasion in the last 5 weeks (v Bournemouth and we saw their spirit this weekend) but in the other 4 games he's scored 6 goals.

And Aggy Kun and will score several brace and probably a Harry at some point this season. He's missed lots of minutes early doors on both of the last two seasons and been on fire for most of the rest of both seasons. And he's Sergio Aguero.

So who do I dump to play 5 MID or 4 Def???
Last edited by Weisenwolf on 17 Oct 2016, 23:02, edited 4 times in total.

I Am Ville
Red & Blue Braces

Post by I Am Ville »

I still have ibra which is driving my decision. I would swap him for costa but for the 4 yellows issue.

Weisenwolf
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Weisenwolf »

I Am Ville wrote:I still have ibra which is driving my decision. I would swap him for costa but for the 4 yellows issue.
I know what you mean, I planned on dumping him last week because of the card & fixture issue but he just keeps scoring.

Ibra has blanked last 3 weeks (from memory) didn't get anything tonight, has Chelsea away next and is already down on his starting value and is at -16%ish towards another price drop which tonight's result won't help.

Arseshavin
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Arseshavin »

Really don't think the 352 is the way. Austin, Deeney, Smith, Defoe and Benteke are all viable third strikers, probably more so than similar valued midfield counterparts.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Brunauge
Treebeard

Post by Brunauge »

Arseshavin wrote:Really don't think the 352 is the way. Austin, Deeney, Smith, Defoe and Benteke are all viable third strikers, probably more so than similar valued midfield counterparts.

well, I have gone 3-5-2 since GW3 and I have done well so far, so I beg to differ.

You get more value in midfield.

Cliffard
FISOhead

Post by Cliffard »

Brunauge wrote:
Arseshavin wrote:Really don't think the 352 is the way. Austin, Deeney, Smith, Defoe and Benteke are all viable third strikers, probably more so than similar valued midfield counterparts.

well, I have gone 3-5-2 since GW3 and I have done well so far, so I beg to differ.

I've also been playing 3-5-2 since gw3 and done well. It's a dynamic game though, and we need to adapt, or even better, be ahead of the changes. I'm now looking at replacing Antonio after they play Sunderland at home, after he, ironically, played as a wingback in a 3-5-2 last game. With 2 freebies there's every chance I opt for someone like Austin or Deeney.

Mav3rick
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FPL: 1082, 1201, 1800, 10203

The stats are dark and full of errors.

Post by Mav3rick »

Brunauge wrote:

Still flying very high, in fact even higher, that's amazing stuff Brunauge.

I still don't think that in general the 5-2 is better than the 4-3, because it's usually a less financially efficient formation (I also don't tend to agree that the fifth midfield pick is going to be better value), however there's probably no arguing that the form over the last few GWs has favoured loaded midfields.

Diomande seemingly being dropped is a blow to the 5 man midfield though, and I think most FISO like teams will have been rising the ranks well since GW3 with either formation.

The critical thing is if you need an enabler for stronger defence, otherwise if not it seems like a fairly straightforward battle between someone like Benteke or your 4th choice out of someone like Son, Walcott, Sterling or a Liverpool mid?

The Costa, Lukaku, Aguero front lines have their own dynamic too. It's all rather close and I don't honestly think there's much in the formations right now.

wahine
Grumpy Cat
FS Record: Your life does not get
better by chance, it gets
better by change. JR.
♀️

Post by wahine »

i sold Costa to get Ozil after playing 4 3 to begin with and its going well but im also planning to sell Antonio after Sunderland and i could go either Allen with an upgrade in 3rd forward position or get Milner in and play the Liverpool nice run with him and Coutinho
I wouldnt consider Costa until after his inevitible card but Ozil enabling Costa is also something i would go back to

Notned
FISO Knight

Post by Notned »

Still giving it some serious thought. I prefer 3-4-3 long term, but I need to replace Janssen and get Walcott in too, with 3-5-2 being the most viable method. I do have a way (thanks to the suggestions of the boys in the STC thread) to do both and keep a 3-4-3 formation, but the two third strikers I am interested in would require an additional hit without changing any of my main midfield players, and both have tough fixtures this week..

I'm leaning slightly toward the 3-5-2 now, and then switching back via a downgrade of one of the Arsenal mids or Sterling in a couple of weeks time, which should coincide with some strong 'slot 3' striker fixtures. Still very much being mulled over though.

tarkens
Grumpy Old Man

Post by tarkens »

Aar0n_28
FISOhead

Post by Aar0n_28 »

Happy to have been playing 3-5-2 for a number of weeks now. This week i'll ship Antonio for Walcott to give a decent midfield of Walcott, Sanchez, Son, Sterling and Coutinho. Luka and Aguero upfront with a makeshift defence of Baines, Pieters & Amat. Kone and Evans benched.

I Am Ville
Red & Blue Braces

Post by I Am Ville »

I am just not seeing a 3rd striker with longevity in the side they play for with any form or fixtures.

Anyone got a view on who to make up the triumverate with Kun and Luk?

Hotstepper
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Reasonable

Post by Hotstepper »

I'm 3-4-3 all the way, with the big gun trio of Kun, Kak & Costa.

Kak & Costa both in irresistible form, and Aguero an essential pick. I've sacrificed owning Sanchez, but Walcott has done great in his place, and enough mid price mid options to keep me happy

Resonare
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Resonare »

I'm a bit in the middle right now but planning to go 3-4-3.

carver
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Top 50k last 4 seasons . Mr Consistent

Post by carver »

I guess if you have Aguero Costa Lukaku you are laughing. But if you don't your 3rd striker has most likely disappointed. Those going 3-5-2 will have found it easier to get it right

Calvin1979
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Ruined by real life responsibilities

Post by Calvin1979 »

JVRB48 wrote:I'm 3-4-3 all the way, with the big gun trio of Kun, Kak & Costa.

Kak & Costa both in irresistible form, and Aguero an essential pick. I've sacrificed owning Sanchez, but Walcott has done great in his place, and enough mid price mid options to keep me happy
Same here. Managed to crowbar Sanchez in at the expense of my 4th midfielder but I might address this with the Sanchez :arrow: Walcott downgrade.

Weisenwolf
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Weisenwolf »

Calvin1979 wrote:
JVRB48 wrote:I'm 3-4-3 all the way, with the big gun trio of Kun, Kak & Costa.

Same here. Managed to crowbar Sanchez in at the expense of my 4th midfielder but I might address this with the Sanchez :arrow: Walcott downgrade.
Pretty much the same with me; 4th mid is Allen alongside Chez, Walcott & Sterling. It may make sense for me to downgrade one of them to upgrade Allen at some point. Lallana could feature in that although if Costa picks up his 5th I may use that as an excuse to rejig. Will see how the next couple of weeks pan out first I think.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Fantasy PremierLeague.com (FPL)”