To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Life without Aguero

A Fantasy Football forum for news on fantasy football games run by the Premierleague (FPL).
tarkens
Grumpy Old Man

Re: Life without Aguero

Post by tarkens »

Ruth_NZ wrote:Anyway, I removed Aguero for Zlatan. That scored -14, the extreme negative end of the range I had estimated for myself. In addition I captained Zlatan rather than Sanchez who would otherwise have been my captain. So that's another -11. Total -25 from one FT. :lol:

I have also been able to use the cash to bring in 2 new players, Coutinho for Walcott and Alonso for Valencia. The cash for those would not have been available before so that will be 0.9 of my extra budget used. I'm not quite sure how I will make the comparative calculation week by week but I'll try to find a fair method.
you must be a happy bunny tonight then :D

Aldershot Rejects
Dumbledore
FS Record: 5th Metro (2010-11); 146 - Sky (2015-16); 218 - Sky (2014-15); 386 - Sky (2020-21); 636 - FPL (2017-18); last 16 Sky Cup (2018-19)

Post by Aldershot Rejects »

Interested to see how your 'experiment' works Ruth although I may well join the Kunless teams for week 14 - suspect Kane & Costa will outscore Aguero & Rashford and can't get either in easily alongside Aguero.

I have no doubt Aguero will continue to score well and that teams without him will have some bad weeks, however I am becoming increasingly convinced that there are better ways of using 13m across the next 10 or so gameweeks. Mind you, week 14 is still a couple of GWs away and things could change between now and then.

Le Red
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Will improve

Post by Le Red »

DonTanTilla wrote:
Blue Fire wrote:Can we NOT do this please? I don't see what you can possibly gain by all the 'I told you so' posts other than irritating people. If you don't agree with something, just state it and move on. All this is only gonna spread negativity
I don't wanna be on a forum where you can't completely mug someone off for making a terrible decision. If you'd lost your job over it or something it would be a different story but this is a GAME. It is FANTASY football. Its not negativity just because you don't like it. If you put your opinion out there for the world to see, suffer the consequences when it makes you looks silly. Take it on the chin. Next week when he blanks you can laugh at us can't you.
Hear hear. I don't like to see this oversensitivity around here either. It's one thing to be a thug, a troll, a cyberbully or whatever, but what's the freaking problem with some old traditional teasing and bragging?
If everyone could wear their big boy pants instead of getting triggered over anything the world would be a more mature place as we speak.

Paulista
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Paulista »

#1 in the world is living life without Aguero .

https://fantasy.premierleague.com/a/tea ... 2/event/11

The Dazzler
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: 9th overall in FPL 2005/06, 50th 2010/11, 288th 2014/15

Post by The Dazzler »

Le Red wrote:
Hear hear. I don't like to see this oversensitivity around here either. It's one thing to be a thug, a troll, a cyberbully or whatever, but what's the freaking problem with some old traditional teasing and bragging?
If everyone could wear their big boy pants instead of getting triggered over anything the world would be a more mature place as we speak.

I would think it is obvious that if nobody ever engaged in the childish "I told you so's" the world would be a more mature place.
But neither that or "everybody wearing their big boy pants" is ever going to happen due to the fact no situation ever arises where 'everybody' or 'nobody' agrees on any point.
So we're left with encouraging, tolerating or disapproving this sort of behaviour.

Presumably you'd like to encourage it as you think it adds to the banter?

This forum's policy to general questionable forum conduct seems to be one of (impotent?) tolerance.

There is another school of thought that thinks this sort of behaviour should be discouraged. It's pleasing to me to see a number of posters posting as such.
"What's the freaking problem" for these people? Maybe they feel it can lead to a toxic atmosphere and bickering between posters. In fact they possibly find a forum with that adversarial content a complete turn off. If left unchecked, I think some people do indeed turn off/log off.

It could also be argued that some people, for fear of ridicule, will not put up opinions which may lead to, "I told you so's" if they are wrong. In other words, it can stifle debate.
It should further be pointed out that the people in this thread that are arguing against the "I told you so" brigade are not the people this puerile 'banter' is directed at, so they don't need the "big boy pants". They are not being "oversensitive". They simply think (and I believe it is the majority) that this 'content' is irritating and detrimental to the forum. Banter is a 2 way exchange and it's not banter when no one else thinks it's funny.
I hope when the next event of this "I told you so" nonsense is spouted the normally silent majority will again voice it's displeasure.

ZeroRemorse
Grumpy Old Man

Post by ZeroRemorse »

The Dazzler wrote:
Le Red wrote:
It should further be pointed out that the people in this thread that are arguing against the "I told you so" brigade are not the people this puerile 'banter' is directed at, so they don't need the "big boy pants". They are not being "oversensitive". They simply think (and I believe it is the majority) that this 'content' is irritating and detrimental to the forum. Banter is a 2 way exchange and it's not banter when no one else thinks it's funny.
I hope when the next event of this "I told you so" nonsense is spouted the normally silent majority will again voice it's displeasure.
:roll:

It wasn't that bad.

Turd Ferguson
FISOhead

Post by Turd Ferguson »

I've been looking at this closer. I think going without Aguero for the next ten gameweeks or so make sense. My move would be Aguero > Ibrahimovic before GW15 in order to free up funds for Hazard.

Here's what looks to me the best captain option through GW 27. If the best captain is aguero, I've given the second best choice in brackets from these options: Sanchez, Hazard, Lukaku, Coutinho, Ibrahimovic. Those would be my personal alternatives over this timeframe.

GW13: Sanchez (Bou H)
GW14: Coutinho (Bou A)
GW 15: Hazard (WBA H)
GW16: Aguero (Wat H) [Sanchez (Stk H)]
GW17: Hazard (C Pal A)
GW18: Ibra (Sun H)
GW19: Sanchez (C Pal H)
GW20: Aguero (Bur H) [Sanchez (Bou A) or Coutinho (Sun A)]
GW21: Sanchez (Swa A)
GW22: Hazard (Hul H)
GW 23: Ibra (Hul H)
GW24: Aguero (Swa H) [Lukaku (Bou H) or Coutinho (Hul A)]
GW25: Sanchez (Hul H)
GW 26: Lukaku (Sun H)
GW 27: Aguero (Sun A) [Ibra (Bou H)]

From now through GW23 I would only captain him twice and I'd have good captain alternatives in those weeks. Aguero plays Hull away in GW18, but Ibra is home to Sunderland which I think is just as good a captain choice. Sanchez is home to West Brom and Hazard is home to Bournemouth that week as well (should see some high scores that week :P )

I'd bring Aguero back for Ibrahimovic in GW24 to captain him against Swansea and Sunderland in GW27.
Last edited by Turd Ferguson on 08 Nov 2016, 18:38, edited 2 times in total.

ZeroRemorse
Grumpy Old Man

Post by ZeroRemorse »

Arsenal play Bournemouth GW13 not GW14. Liverpool play Bournemouth GW14.

Sanchez/Coutinho/Firmino are the best options GW13.
GW14 is Kane (H) vs Swansea or Coutinho/Firmino (A) vs Bournemouth

Turd Ferguson
FISOhead

Post by Turd Ferguson »

ZeroRemorse wrote:Arsenal play Bournemouth GW13 not GW14. Liverpool play Bournemouth GW14.
Good spot. Typo on my spreadsheet.

johnnyhp
FISOhead
FS Record: average at worst

Post by johnnyhp »

Paulista wrote:#1 in the world is living life without Aguero .

in fact the top 5 are all living life without Kun

TheoRiginal
FISOhead
FS Record: Virginal

Post by TheoRiginal »

johnnyhp wrote:
Paulista wrote:#1 in the world is living life without Aguero .

in fact the top 5 are all living life without Kun
...this week

ricardo68
FISOhead

Post by ricardo68 »

I turned him into Defoe allowing me to get Hazard and KdB a couple of weeks ago. It's been a good decision so far but time will tell long term and now it's straight up impossible to get him back in without too much of a hit

Turd Ferguson
FISOhead

Post by Turd Ferguson »

ricardo68 wrote:It's been a good decision so far but time will tell long term and now it's straight up impossible to get him back in without too much of a hit
Yes, that's one of the big worries. If you take him out and redistribute the funds, the die is cast. You'll have to take hits to get him back in quickly. Barring injuries to one of the other big names, however, I'm going to take him out in the next few weeks.

Stemania
FISO Jedi Knight
Location: On the Iron Throne of xG, the seat of The Crown Prince of the Stat Perverts. Or if not, in the STC!
FS Record: Best: TFF 321st. FPL 129th. FFS Career HoF Peak 2nd (Live 1st). Ability since lost.

Post by Stemania »

If the current climate of so many 8-11m players consistently performing continues (KDB, Sanchez, Hazard, Firmino, Coutinho, Mane, Costa, Lukaku, Walcott/Sterling?) we could find a new question of Kun's value upon us all soon enough. I can't remember a year when there were quite so many strong mid-to-premium options, compared to the number of cheap super-value 'enablers', as there appear right now.

Assuming Kun continues at the rate of scoring 'expected' of him (similar to previous years, so, as a bit of a points beast), I think it's still fair to say that the more consistent the others are the worse value Kun becomes. There may become a point that the number of consistently performing players in the mid-to-premium (and relative lack of reliable cheapies) is so high that even regularly captaining an in-form Kun may not be enough to make 13m good value. As I mentioned, I don't think I'd have paid 14m at the start of the year for example - I just wonder how close to 13m that 'buying limit' will become the more other players perform. :D

Have to say, I'm loving this season so far (despite seemingly being hit with 3-4 flags every week, especially in defence) - it's great to have so much attacking choice now that the distance between top and bottom teams appears to have stretched. It's all a bit more interesting. :mrgreen:

Billy Bongo
FISO Knight

Post by Billy Bongo »

I like the choice Ruth made, not because I agree with it ( I don't) but because he thought a lot about it and put his convictions to the ultimate test, both in practice and being public about it.

bspittles
Dumbledore

Post by bspittles »

Billy Bongo wrote:I like the choice Ruth made, not because I agree with it ( I don't) but because he thought a lot about it and put his convictions to the ultimate test, both in practice and being public about it.
And the fact that he took the time to share and explain his reasons, much appreciated!

TheoRiginal
FISOhead
FS Record: Virginal

Post by TheoRiginal »

Is Ruth really Edgardo Bauza?

finkelele
Treebeard

Post by finkelele »

No one thinking about Triple Captaining Aguero against Palace? Eventough it's away Palace's defence has been horrible, and the rest of the team not so good either.
I also have a feeling Aguero needs to "prove" something after their lost point against Boro when he was subbed off.

Or maybe Hazard? If Middlesborough play as defensively like they did against City then there's a chance Chelsea just totally destroy them. But Boro have pretty good results against better teams... But Hazards form is good.

What do you say guys? :)

Ruth_NZ
Grumpy Old Gorilla

Post by Ruth_NZ »

finkelele wrote:No one thinking about Triple Captaining Aguero against Palace? Eventough it's away Palace's defence has been horrible, and the rest of the team not so good either.
I also have a feeling Aguero needs to "prove" something after their lost point against Boro when he was subbed off.

Or maybe Hazard? If Middlesborough play as defensively like they did against City then there's a chance Chelsea just totally destroy them. But Boro have pretty good results against better teams... But Hazards form is good.

What do you say guys? :)
I say save TC for a DGW.

Ruth_NZ
Grumpy Old Gorilla

Post by Ruth_NZ »

Billy Bongo wrote:I like the choice Ruth made, not because I agree with it ( I don't) but because he thought a lot about it and put his convictions to the ultimate test, both in practice and being public about it.
bspittles wrote:And the fact that he took the time to share and explain his reasons, much appreciated!
Appreciated. I have made a RMT thread to track the experiment if anyone is interested.

viewtopic.php?f=99&t=123196

zerinot
Red & Blue Braces

Post by zerinot »

I can cut out Lukaku for Kane or Costa first but highly considering losing Agüero and go both if City don't get back on track and start dominating games.
Maybe it's down to Focus being on Champions league and that's part of the reason why Chelsea and Liverpool have looked better than other top teams recently, but City has gone from winning most games comfortably and scoring 3 goals/game average gw 1-6, to just 1,5 goal/game the last 6 and struggling.

Stemania
FISO Jedi Knight
Location: On the Iron Throne of xG, the seat of The Crown Prince of the Stat Perverts. Or if not, in the STC!
FS Record: Best: TFF 321st. FPL 129th. FFS Career HoF Peak 2nd (Live 1st). Ability since lost.

Post by Stemania »

I'm sure they'll improve again soon enough. The big long term worry for Aguero is surely Gabriel Jesus' arrival in January - he's a cracking player and direct competition. It'll might be the first time Aguero will actually have a top draw understudy. :shock:

FP1990
Treebeard
FS Record: Great

Post by FP1990 »

Of the top 10 overall players, only 1 has aguero. Do we feel it's a matter of time before they get their comeuppance or is he really not the absolute essential anymore?

Billy Bongo
FISO Knight

Post by Billy Bongo »

FP1990 wrote:Of the top 10 overall players, only 1 has aguero. Do we feel it's a matter of time before they get their comeuppance or is he really not the absolute essential anymore?
Clearly not essential for those 9

Gambit
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Gambit »

I'd like to get rid as my all round team/squad always looks better without him (as you'd expect given the extra money to spend).

problem is that my WC is long gone and it would require multiple transfers to make use of the cash, and that's not counting any other problems i'd hit along the way.

I do agree with the post a bit back by Stem, there are so many players performing well at the moment that he is looking less and less essential and even as the C I'm seeing more attractive options most GW's.

He will still get some hauls I'm sure but this could be the year when the better teams are those without him.

If I still had my WC he wouldn't be in my squad after I played it.

Billy Bongo
FISO Knight

Post by Billy Bongo »

Everyone keeping him because of Newcastle last year

Mav3rick
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FPL: 1082, 1201, 1800, 10203

The stats are dark and full of errors.

Post by Mav3rick »

Billy Bongo wrote:Everyone keeping him because of Newcastle last year
No, I don't think you can characterise it in terms like that. Aguero certainly has a lot of inertia but if you've looked at the stats then IMO you see good reason for that inertia.

Prior to GW12 and for the 4 GWs preceding it, Aguero was behind only bit part players Sturridge on shots per minute and only Strurridge, Stanislas and Lingard on shots per minute on target. Widen it out to the whole season and the results are very similar with only Ibra challenging Aguero as the "best" stats pick. He had a fairly poor week against Palace, which hasn't helped the picture, but I would still maintain that over the last 4/5 GWs the correct call in my judgement has been to hold onto Aguero and given the time again, I would hold again.
FP1990 wrote:Of the top 10 overall players, only 1 has aguero. Do we feel it's a matter of time before they get their comeuppance or is he really not the absolute essential anymore?
What the current top 10 have is merely a reflection of what has actually happened, not a reflection of what I think was a good decision at the time without the benefit of hindsight. I actually find it quite easy really to argue the point from a stats perspective that holding Aguero has to this point been the correct call, especially so as I've felt very comfortable captaining him 3 or 4 times over the last 5 or 6 weeks. The fact that it hasn't really worked out in this particular observable universe is not really a problem.

However, going forward the circumstances are shifting and Aguero isn't scheduled to be my captain in the next 5/6 weeks, plus there are at least some doubts about rotation with Pep over Christmas. I think it's fair to say that Pep is looking more likely to rotate Aguero (and other city players) than other managers look likely to rotate their star players. I think that it's probably just about still a mistake to sell Aguero this week, but next week Kane is going to be awfully tempting for many, and Costa too for any remaining non-owners such as myself.

I'm coming toward the idea that Aguero may be surplus to requirements for a period, but you have to carefully consider the best thing to do with savings and when/how you would want to get Aguero back. With his stats, and provided he gets the gametime, he's still going to be a highly effective captain, perhaps GW20 will be the ideal time to get him back I think I would certainly want a plan for that at the very least. That's a 6GW run without Aguero that looks like a reasonable risk, but it's not because Aguero has been disappointing up to now, it's because of what lies in front.

I won't keep Aguero just because he is Aguero, but nor will I sell him just because he's 13.1, there has to be justification for either position and I think the tide is perhaps turning against him for a short while. I'll be making sure that I have a plan to get him back though. It may well be a sensible play to pivot around the double Liverpool midfielder setup that many of us have as around that GW19/20 time Liverpool's lengthy good run of games stops and the sale of an 8.5ish mid would be a good way to fund Aguero coming back.

eastcentral1
Dumbledore

Post by eastcentral1 »

@Mav

I couldn't agree with you more. Although I think you're remarkably sanguine about the fact that he's not worked out over the last few weeks. I find it incredibly frustrating that he didn't get the points when he "should" have, and now that we're approaching a period where better informed managers may jump off, this will coincide with a bunch of people jumping off based on past performance.

Ruth_NZ
Grumpy Old Gorilla

Post by Ruth_NZ »

eastcentral1 wrote:@Mav

I couldn't agree with you more. Although I think you're remarkably sanguine about the fact that he's not worked out over the last few weeks. I find it incredibly frustrating that he didn't get the points when he "should" have, and now that we're approaching a period where better informed managers may jump off, this will coincide with a bunch of people jumping off based on past performance.
What I find frustrating is that many FFS managers are now catching up with what I was saying 5 weeks ago having derided it at the time. Seems like my non-Aguero differential is about to become template. :roll:

baganboy
Comfortably Dumb(ledore)
FS Record: 2011/12 - 212. 2019/20 - 222.
Altogether 6 top 10Ks. 8 top 20Ks. 9 top 50Ks.

Post by baganboy »

Oh could you please not do that Ruth_NZ? All our choices are ~ chances. Some work, some don't.
Would I say that you are catching on to my 4-defender team of nearly a quarter of a season off now, rather than that you have figured it out on your own? No.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Fantasy PremierLeague.com (FPL)”