To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Life without Aguero

A Fantasy Football forum for news on fantasy football games run by the Premierleague (FPL).
Football Hero
Grumpy Old Man

Re: Life without Aguero

Post by Football Hero »

Sutter Kane wrote: and getting him back can be a pain.
Is it really that much of a pain to get back in? It's not like he's risen in price massively so far this season, and you were sacrificing say 0.4M+ to get rid of him, only to potentially be faced with having to get him back in again soon after if he improves his PPG.

You swap him out for 13.0 and you buy him back for 13.1 if he scores big just after selling him. Yes, you have to free up cash with another transfer, but that is often the case when switching out other players anyway.

Poison Idea
Treebeard
FS Record: Decent

Post by Poison Idea »

Case closed. For now at least.

What a nasty foul. When did he become so surly? There won't be much sympathy next he leaves injured and in tears.

The Real Slim Shady
Dumbledore
FS Record: 1,465th in FPL 05/06

Post by The Real Slim Shady »

Hallelujah!

brencarr
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: TFF best finish; 60th 2013/14

Post by brencarr »

brencarr wrote:I just don't get it folks, admittedly I AM definitely biased but Aguero has scored 33 goals in his last 34 Premier League games and has the best minutes/goal ratio in Premier League history (apart from Iheanacho but that doesn't really count) so even at 13m he's a must-have for me. .... and yes, I've been following this post since the start and have read all of the arguments. I do see the value in discussing the alternatives and it's certainly thought-provoking and interesting to look at all angles but I'm not seeing this at all, but I guess that's the beauty of this game, we can all make our own choices. I will stick with my answer from some weeks ago on this thread - if he's fit he's in my team and wearing the armband, even this weekend v Chelsea. I remember not captaining him last season (April 2016) at Stamford Bridge and he scored a hat-trick. He's just too good :-)
... this game can make you look so stupid can't it :-)

Paul_Football
Red & Blue Braces

Post by Paul_Football »

Poison Idea wrote:Case closed. For now at least.

What a nasty foul. When did he become so surly? There won't be much sympathy next he leaves injured and in tears.
Aguero has a history with Luiz but he's always been an aggressive player although he usually keeps it under control.

Cheweybacca
Red & Blue Braces

Post by Cheweybacca »

Paul_Football wrote:

Aguero has a history with Luiz but he's always been an aggressive player although he usually keeps it under control.

I see David Luiz started it with an arse nudge, then handles the ball while doing a somersalt and then puts his arse in the way of Kuns 2 feet landing :roll:
#justiceforkun

First Sub Podcast
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Twitter @TheFirstSub_FPL

Post by First Sub Podcast »

The worst tackle I've seen for a long time today from Kun. Didn't think he had that in him

Weisenwolf
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: 2,234 points; back when this was considered a good score....

Post by Weisenwolf »

:oops: Aguero who?

I know of nobody by that name your honour

ajcairns
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Still Decidedly Average.

Post by ajcairns »

Ive seen a few clips of the touchline fracas from the MCICHE game but it cuts off just as Costa arrives st the scene. Anyone seen how he got involved? I suppose he could be in bother if he's had a sly dig at someone and it might be a bit previous to bring him in (for Aguerro), only to see him on an FA charge.

On the plus side his knock couldn't have been that bad cos he ran down there quick enough!

Bob Newhart
FISO Knight

Post by Bob Newhart »

Helpfuly gotten himself 4 games with an @ Liverpool return on New Year's Eve.

By the time we have to consider whether to reacquire him, he should be rather cheaper and we should have another WC.

That said, so far, incredibly, 559 people have transferred him this round already :lol:

Mav3rick
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FPL: 1082, 1201, 1800, 10203

The stats are dark and full of errors.

Post by Mav3rick »

Bob Newhart wrote:That said, so far, incredibly, 559 people have transferred him this round already :lol:
There are presumably some anti fantasy games where the object is to lose squad value. I'm sure that would explain the transfers in.

Ruth_NZ
Grumpy Old Gorilla

Post by Ruth_NZ »

"Pep Guardiola has secretly spoken to Alexis Sanchez on the phone in an effort to lure the Arsenal forward to Manchester City, according to reports in Chile."

http://metro.co.uk/2016/12/05/alexis-sa ... l-6302326/

Is this a thing I wonder? Pep has a history of liking winger/strikers that do a lot of pressing and he has history with Alexis. Maybe he's just not satisfied with Aguero. Certainly on track record Sanchez is more of a Guardiola type player than Kun is.

Blue Fire
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Blue Fire »

I don't think a manager can approach an opposition team's player like that can they? I remember Sprus accusing Man Utd of trying to do the same with Berbatov

Ruth_NZ
Grumpy Old Gorilla

Post by Ruth_NZ »

Blue Fire wrote:I don't think a manager can approach an opposition team's player like that can they? I remember Sprus accusing Man Utd of trying to do the same with Berbatov

Officially they shouldn't. But it's a grey area because if Pep knows Alexis there's nothing to stop him calling to congratulate him on a hat-trick for example. I doubt the words "will you come to City?" were used. "I'd love to have you playing for me again one day" would be more defensible because they express a sentiment rather than making an offer.

Basically it shouldn't happen but in one way or another - via agents or friends maybe - it clearly does.

Poison Idea
Treebeard
FS Record: Decent

Post by Poison Idea »

Ruth_NZ wrote:"Pep Guardiola has secretly spoken to Alexis Sanchez on the phone in an effort to lure the Arsenal forward to Manchester City, according to reports in Chile."

http://metro.co.uk/2016/12/05/alexis-sa ... l-6302326/

Is this a thing I wonder?
I wouldn't be surprised. I don't expect it to happen before the end of the season though. Coincidentally:

Alexis Sánchez won’t stay at Arsenal just because of money, says Arsène Wenger

https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... ene-wenger

I was thinking that this new four-match ban might be something more significant than it looks. Admittedly it might not be, but in modern football people rarely have the time for you to be injured, banned or stupid. There already have been some instances to suggest Kun isn't enjoying the same stature under Guardiola as he was under Pellegrini. He has scored a lot of goals, but the bulk of them were hat-tricks against Steaua and Mönchengladbach and braces against Stoke, Swansea, West Brom and Burnley, other than that he's been benched a few times, he's missed lots of penalties and has been banned for seven games. I guess what I am saying is it won't be such a shock if this is his last season with Man City.

With that said, I must admit I'm not impressed with Guardiola so far. I've heard people question his methods, but I don't follow La Liga and 1. Bundesliga very closely. Now it feels like he's on a mission to destroy everything preexisting at City - good and bad, so he can build whatever his dream team looks like. If ditching Agüero for Sanchez is part of his master plan, I am wondering - who does that? What kind of a manager can't fit a player like Agüero in his precious vision? He must think so highly of himself behind the humble guy gimmick.

Weisenwolf
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: 2,234 points; back when this was considered a good score....

Post by Weisenwolf »

Well he's got them playing at a snails pace which may work elsewhere but it won't here

Ruth_NZ
Grumpy Old Gorilla

Post by Ruth_NZ »

Poison Idea wrote:I must admit I'm not impressed with Guardiola so far. I've heard people question his methods, but I don't follow La Liga and 1. Bundesliga very closely. Now it feels like he's on a mission to destroy everything preexisting at City - good and bad, so he can build whatever his dream team looks like. If ditching Agüero for Sanchez is part of his master plan, I am wondering - who does that? What kind of a manager can't fit a player like Agüero in his precious vision? He must think so highly of himself behind the humble guy gimmick.
Yes, I agree with that 100%. Mourinho gets a lot of stick for arrogance but he climbs down when wrong, as he has done with Schweini. Pep was never doing that with Yaya, he wanted his apology first irrespective of whether City would be better with Yaya available or not. And an apology for something Yaya's agent had said, not even anything he had done himself.

Either way, I don't believe that Pep is a good manager for FPL managers. And that's what concerns us here.

Hotstepper
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Reasonable

Post by Hotstepper »

I've gone a four week punt on Iheanacho

Owsler
Dumbledore

Post by Owsler »

So who have people gone for? I was all set on Iheanacho, but realise I can afford Benteke and still have Sanchez.

Notned
FISO Knight

Post by Notned »

Went for Costa in for Aguero initially, but now Iheanacho has joined the party too, thanks to Austin's injury. Hopefully City get back to their swashbuckling best..

Ruth_NZ
Grumpy Old Gorilla

Post by Ruth_NZ »

I would just like to comment on Guardiola's ludicrous post-match interview with the BBC (after Everton 4-0 City).

Pep: "We create enough chances to score a goal and we are not able. And that, for the mind, for the players, it's tough. And that's why we have to keep going, to train."

Interviewer: "Are you more frustrated, then, with not taking chances or defending, with letting 4 goals in?"

Pep: "That is a consequence. When you score goals you are more optimistic and you defend better. We create chances, we cannot score, it was in many, many games that would happen. We don't concede too many chances and we create more than the opponents."

Interviewer: "Is this league different to many others?"

Pep: "No. In all the leagues, the way normally I would like to play is to have more possession and more chances and the opponents few. The only difference is in the boxes we are not strong enough. We are a team with a lot of quality but not with a lot of scorers."

Am I the only one to find this interview utterly bewildering? City not strong enough in the opponents' box? Well, why the hell has Aguero been told to "run more, press more, contribute more" then? He's the best box striker in the PL and one of the best in the world. Today he spent half his time on the left wing (just like Lewandowski did in Guardiola's first season at Bayern) and was deeper than Sterling and De Bruyne for much of the time. If City are not strong enough in the opponents' box it is Guardiola's doing.

And City not strong enough in their own box? Well, sure. But why is that? This is the manager who said Fernandinho "could easily play CB". Who said that Kolarov was one of the best CBs in Europe. Who insisted on buying a young £50m CB who can pass but has always been positionally suspect. Who won't select a stable back 4 and sometimes switches to a back 3 without the team looking as if they have been prepared properly. Who insisted on signing a 33yo GK who is good with his feet (so they say) but hardly makes a save. Who said "I don't coach tackling". Stones gets a lot of the media blame but I think he has been hung out to dry.

For a while I found it amusing that so many thought Pep could do no wrong. I was also delighted about it from a partisan point of view because there is no doubt that City have the tools to win the PL. But now I am beginning to find this bewildering arrogance to be actually offensive because what he says seems to bear so little resemblance to reality. I'm sorry, this Emperor has no clothes.

Anyway, rant over. I just needed to get that off my chest.

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

If anyone has a transcript it might be interesting to read with the link here: viewtopic.php?f=29&t=123660

They didn't create much vs Everton?

baganboy
Comfortably Dumb(ledore)
FS Record: 2011/12 - 212. 2019/20 - 222.
Altogether 6 top 10Ks. 8 top 20Ks. 9 top 50Ks.

Post by baganboy »

Ruth_NZ wrote:I would just like to comment on Guardiola's ludicrous post-match interview with the BBC (after Everton 4-0 City).

Pep: "We create enough chances to score a goal and we are not able. And that, for the mind, for the players, it's tough. And that's why we have to keep going, to train."

Interviewer: "Are you more frustrated, then, with not taking chances or defending, with letting 4 goals in?"

Pep: "That is a consequence. When you score goals you are more optimistic and you defend better. We create chances, we cannot score, it was in many, many games that would happen. We don't concede too many chances and we create more than the opponents."

Interviewer: "Is this league different to many others?"

Pep: "No. In all the leagues, the way normally I would like to play is to have more possession and more chances and the opponents few. The only difference is in the boxes we are not strong enough. We are a team with a lot of quality but not with a lot of scorers."

Am I the only one to find this interview utterly bewildering? City not strong enough in the opponents' box? Well, why the hell has Aguero been told to "run more, press more, contribute more" then? He's the best box striker in the PL and one of the best in the world. Today he spent half his time on the left wing (just like Lewandowski did in Guardiola's first season at Bayern) and was deeper than Sterling and De Bruyne for much of the time. If City are not strong enough in the opponents' box it is Guardiola's doing.

And City not strong enough in their own box? Well, sure. But why is that? This is the manager who said Fernandinho "could easily play CB". Who said that Kolarov was one of the best CBs in Europe. Who insisted on buying a young £50m CB who can pass but has always been positionally suspect. Who won't select a stable back 4 and sometimes switches to a back 3 without the team looking as if they have been prepared properly. Who insisted on signing a 33yo GK who is good with his feet (so they say) but hardly makes a save. Who said "I don't coach tackling". Stones gets a lot of the media blame but I think he has been hung out to dry.

For a while I found it amusing that so many thought Pep could do no wrong. I was also delighted about it from a partisan point of view because there is no doubt that City have the tools to win the PL. But now I am beginning to find this bewildering arrogance to be actually offensive because what he says seems to bear so little resemblance to reality. I'm sorry, this Emperor has no clothes.

Anyway, rant over. I just needed to get that off my chest.
For one with no actual stakes involved (except for Aguero, and that too won't be for long), I am rather interested in how this develops.
This is how I see it. Guardiola is a 'philosophy' coach as opposed to a 'results' coach. The result is a by-product of how well the philosophy has been implemented. Quite like a few other similar ones like Michels and Bielsa et al. In this league, Klopp, Mourinho and to an extent, Pochettino are the same. These types, when their method is figured out by other coaches, generally either innovate and figure out a slightly different philosophy to win, or finish off once their method is deconstructed ( is that the right word?). And we would agree that Guardiola changed the way football is seen and thought. Right until Barcelona was gegenpressed out of the PL by Dortmund, remember? Klopp, another philosophy coach.
As for the arrogance, perhaps language has got something to do with it? The way I have heard, Pep likes to give long talks about the strategy of the game et al... And it is pretty obvious he is struggling with English. Perhaps this is resulting in the insolence? For a normally articulate person in one language, struggling to express one's thought in another language can be very stifling.

I can think of so many 'Then why doesn't he...'s but we all know that real life is not like that, eh?

I tend give him a long leash. I do not support Munich or City, and am not particularly tribal in my support of Arsenal. But yeah, nice-to-the-eye football is a preference, and Pep's Barcelona was a joy to watch.

Bob Newhart
FISO Knight

Post by Bob Newhart »

baganboy wrote:Pep's Barcelona was a joy to watch.
With the players he had, my cat could've created a "joy to watch" team.

Guardiola's always been ridiculously overrated on the back of a couple of flat-track bully jobs and now the pudding in which the proof resides is being served.

baganboy
Comfortably Dumb(ledore)

Post by baganboy »

No. With the team Guardiola's had, others could have made a similarly winning team. Not you and not your cat, though.
With C Ronaldo and Bale and Benzema and Modric and Isco and such other wonderful players, are Madrid winning as much now? Yeah, mostly. Heyneckes' brilliant Bayern team similarly won everything.

That is not the point here.

Are any of them a similar joy to watch? I'd say no.
They are very strong, traditional teams; that look like traditional, strong teams.

Have they made a fundamental change to the way football is played, the way Guardiola's Barcelona did? No.
Klopp's Dortmund did too, of course.

I do not know why people get so crazy reactionary. Either Pep has to be a God, or he has to be a charlatan.
Here's the thing, folks. he is neither. He is a very good coach, going through a rough patch.

(And I don't care how much he's won, he has never managed the club I follow)

tarkens
Grumpy Old Man

Post by tarkens »

baganboy wrote:
Ruth_NZ wrote: Right until Barcelona was gegenpressed out of the PL by Dortmund, remember? Klopp, another philosophy coach.
Barcelona gegenpressed out of the PL by Dortmund? Assuming you mean Champions League - never happened

baganboy
Comfortably Dumb(ledore)

Post by baganboy »

No, I insist, Barcelona was gegenpressed out of the PL, which is a knockout tournament, by Dortmund :)

But you are right, of course.

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

As is being discussed her viewtopic.php?f=29&t=123660, the squad actually isn't very good in the first place.

The point about not having Kun in FPL is different - as that is purely about Kun getting FPL points?

Payet
Treebeard
FS Record: 2016/2017: 8.879

Post by Payet »

After all these games, I changed my mind. I don't think Aguero is that essential he was in the previous seasons.

Ruth NZ was right. It's not about Aguero's quality, it's about Pep's arrogance and stupidity.

No one of the top strikers in the league (Diego Costa, Ibrahimovic, Kane) isn't suffering kind of torture Pep put on Aguero. Aguero plays on the wing, in the center forward, makes pressure, runs a lot and it's not surprise he misses when the finally goal chances come. He's jut not that type of player and it's over.

I'm selling him, and I won't bring him in even if he scores a hattrick against Spurs. Pep made him average FPL asset.

baganboy
Comfortably Dumb(ledore)

Post by baganboy »

Yeah, me too. At this point, Zlatan and Kane seem to be better purchases full stop.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Fantasy PremierLeague.com (FPL)”