To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Life without Aguero

A Fantasy Football forum for news on fantasy football games run by the Premierleague (FPL).
Ruth_NZ
Grumpy Old Gorilla

Re: Life without Aguero

Post by Ruth_NZ »

baganboy wrote:Oh could you please not do that Ruth_NZ? All our choices are ~ chances. Some work, some don't.
Would I say that you are catching on to my 4-defender team of nearly a quarter of a season off now, rather than that you have figured it out on your own? No.

Fair enough. I agree with you.

At the same time, when you post about something, get a lot of (sometimes spiteful) derision for it and 6 weeks later see many others promoting the same idea... well, it can cause some degree of emotional reaction. Which is what I was (mildly) expressing in my post.

Mainly I just regret the loss of the differential. Unfortunately the "don't lose Aguero" fear is breaking down faster than I expected. Ah well, maybe he'll score a brace this weekend and everyone will jump back on again. :)

Mav3rick
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FPL: 1082, 1201, 1800, 10203

The stats are dark and full of errors.

Post by Mav3rick »

eastcentral1 wrote:Although I think you're remarkably sanguine about the fact that he's not worked out over the last few weeks.
I'm annoyed that he hasn't had the points, especially while my captain, as its coincided with other strikers good form. But it's just the way it goes, and he did put in a 16 pointer at one stage, so it's not been terrible by any means (if we try to forget that -1 debacle).

Looking back, was I ever close to really wanting to put say Costa in over Aguero? Nope. But times are changing, and it may yet be the other stats pick (Ibrahimovic) who benefits!

Hotstepper
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Reasonable

Post by Hotstepper »

I've had the Kun, Kak & Costa strikeforce, and been doing relatively well, not really been tempted to sell. Kane's return a different thing now though. That and little trust in Guardiola not to rest Aguero once or twice over the busy December period. Kane I would expect to play all those games. It's becoming very tempting.

The consistent performances from some of the other premiums means Aguero also not necessarily the shoo-in captain

maradonash
Red & Blue Braces

Post by maradonash »

Sergio Aguero and Pablo Zabaleta are also doubts to face Burnley and will be assessed after training at 16:00 GMT.

"Sergio is not injured. He has a problem in his foot," says the manager. :?

Sometimes these PL Managers just aren't opaque enough for my tastes.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/ ... ty-9334369

Gambit
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Gambit »

may be enough to push more than a few people into hitting the sell button, should be more info before the deadline hopefully.

Finisher1
Dumbledore

Post by Finisher1 »

I think most of us could easily do this:

GW13: Firmino/Coutinho SUN
GW14: Kane SWA
GW15: Hazard WBA or Firmino/Coutinho WHU
GW16: Kane HUL
GW17: Kane BUR

Exactly when would you guys captain Aguero instead of these?

Payet
Treebeard
FS Record: 2016/2017: 8.879

Post by Payet »

Every gameweek?

Finisher1
Dumbledore

Post by Finisher1 »

Payet wrote:Every gameweek?
Well hello to you Mr. Aguero! Pleasure to speak with you :lol:

Stemania
FISO Jedi Knight
Location: On the Iron Throne of xG, the seat of The Crown Prince of the Stat Perverts. Or if not, in the STC!
FS Record: Best: TFF 321st. FPL 129th. FFS Career HoF Peak 2nd (Live 1st). Ability since lost.

Post by Stemania »

If anyone is going to sell Kun, these next 5/6 weeks probably are as good a time as any - coinciding nicely with great runs of fixtures for Kane, Costa and even Ibra, and a packed xmas schedule (which you absolutely don't want to be entering with a 'knock' of any kind) :D

I definitely have Kane pencilled in for Lukaku next week, so for me it's whether Costa will match Kun over this run (comparative to his price). I can't believe he's still on 4 yellows! :lol:

Stemania
FISO Jedi Knight
Location: On the Iron Throne of xG, the seat of The Crown Prince of the Stat Perverts. Or if not, in the STC!
FS Record: Best: TFF 321st. FPL 129th. FFS Career HoF Peak 2nd (Live 1st). Ability since lost.

Post by Stemania »

Ruth_NZ wrote:
baganboy wrote:Oh could you please not do that Ruth_NZ? All our choices are ~ chances. Some work, some don't.
Would I say that you are catching on to my 4-defender team of nearly a quarter of a season off now, rather than that you have figured it out on your own? No.

At the same time, when you post about something, get a lot of (sometimes spiteful) derision for it and 6 weeks later see many others promoting the same idea... well, it can cause some degree of emotional reaction. Which is what I was (mildly) expressing in my post.

Mainly I just regret the loss of the differential. Unfortunately the "don't lose Aguero" fear is breaking down faster than I expected. Ah well, maybe he'll score a brace this weekend and everyone will jump back on again. :)
I don't really know what FFS members are doing/saying to you has to do with FISO, but I assume they're are not really promoting the same idea at all. Their idea may coincide in practice, but I doubt very many are selling now because they fear Aguero may be messed around and shoved on the LW or rotated or 'ruined' by Pep - I imagine they're selling because City's rate of scoring has recently dropped fairly dramatically and unexpectedly (which will always attract net transfers out) and because the main alternatives up front are either really performing well and/or have great runs approaching (e.g. Costa/Kane). :)

If you have two or more premium strikers other that Kun who could feasibly manage a goal a game for a spell (like say Costa/Kane perhaps from GW14/15), plus huge strength in the 8-11m midfield range, then Kun's always going to struggle to maintain being value at 13m however he's playing. But, the fact is, in the past that's very very rarely been the case. We could be about to see such a spell now though. :)

Worse....it's the Gabriel Jesus factor I really fear after December. He's a cracking player - hopefully he'll be deployed on the wing.

The Dazzler
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: 9th overall in FPL 2005/06, 50th 2010/11, 288th 2014/15

Post by The Dazzler »

Ruth_NZ wrote:

You complained about "I told you so's" a few weeks back. There were a couple of posters who said it, most posted against the "I told you so's". And you now you are engaging in "I told you so's"????

Aguero is very delicately priced. At £12m, he's a buy. At £14m, he's not. At £13m, it's close.
Should I point out that I posted this on September 3rd, as he was about to return from his ban?
The Dazzler wrote:Is there anybody who is planning to be without Aguero even after he returns? Or is it just me?
It's not genius to have or not have Aguero. It's close either way.

Finisher1
Dumbledore

Post by Finisher1 »

There's nothing wrong with "I told you so" posts.

MPTree
Grumpy Old Man

Post by MPTree »

Finisher1 wrote:There's nothing wrong with "I told you so" posts.
:lol:

Oh, you.

EDIT: But seriously, there's nothing worse than "I told you so" posts.
Last edited by MPTree on 25 Nov 2016, 16:03, edited 1 time in total.

Finisher1
Dumbledore

Re: RE: Re: Life without Aguero

Post by Finisher1 »

Ruth_NZ wrote:
eastcentral1 wrote:@Mav

I couldn't agree with you more. Although I think you're remarkably sanguine about the fact that he's not worked out over the last few weeks. I find it incredibly frustrating that he didn't get the points when he "should" have, and now that we're approaching a period where better informed managers may jump off, this will coincide with a bunch of people jumping off based on past performance.
What I find frustrating is that many FFS managers are now catching up with what I was saying 5 weeks ago having derided it at the time. Seems like my non-Aguero differential is about to become template. :roll:
Well, you made a wrong call, didn't you? We all kept him and enjoyed his 16-point haul against WBA and other decent scores. We banked good points and now we ditch him.

I'd say it was a right call to keep him then and it is probably a right call to ditch him now.

Did I just post an "I told you so"? Image

The Dazzler
Grumpy Old Man

Post by The Dazzler »

Finisher1 wrote:There's nothing wrong with "I told you so" posts.
I have a completely different view on that.
I think if you list the posters that engage the most in "I told you so's" on any forum, there will be a pretty close correlation to a list of the worse posters on said site. That's my opinion and I know (through pms) others share my view.

Regardless of any opinion, if Ruth is complaining about them being directed at him, he shouldn't then direct them back.
Either don't complain, or don't retaliate in kind. Or accept you're a hypocrite, I guess?

Finisher1
Dumbledore

Re: RE: Re: Life without Aguero

Post by Finisher1 »

I'm not sure if there is a correlation like you suggest, but if there is, I suppose I'm an outlier in this statistic then based on PM's people send me.

Mav3rick
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Mav3rick »

This Aguero flag situation is rather interesting. I'd guess it's a week too early to move really, but if he doesn't feature then there's going to be a massive fire sale.

As an owner it's probably better to wait, see how things play out this GW (does Costa pick up a yellow, does Ibra score a brace, does KDB look the part etc) and react accordingly.

Non owners probably have an advantage this GW, certainly if he doesn't play, but Ibra lost out last week and who knows maybe this will be the week that Costa finally gets that ban. Interesting times ahead.

Stemania
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Stemania »

Mav3rick wrote:This Aguero flag situation is rather interesting. I'd guess it's a week too early to move really, but if he doesn't feature then there's going to be a massive fire sale.
Indeed - a goal from, say, Kane this weekend to boot and we could have a huge price swings with Spurs having (SWA, ars, HUL, BUR) in their following 4 compared to Kun's (CHE, lei, WAT, ARS). :shock:

Mav3rick
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Mav3rick »

Stemania wrote:
Mav3rick wrote:This Aguero flag situation is rather interesting. I'd guess it's a week too early to move really, but if he doesn't feature then there's going to be a massive fire sale.
Indeed - a goal from, say, Kane this weekend to boot and we could have a huge price swings with Spurs having (SWA, ars, HUL, BUR) in their following 4 compared to Kun's (CHE, lei, WAT, ARS). :shock:
I think Kane was primed for rises already (due to Lukaku), but yes this Aguero flag thing could cause a bit of a price rocket. Imagine if Costa picked up his ban too. The panic selling/buying will probably start on Saturday (if it hasn't already), so Ibra won't have time to get in on the initial price change effects.

I'm starting to consider what I'll do if Aguero doesn't start. His first price drop wouldn't affect me but he is already -50% and dropping fast. It's probable that he loses 0.1 tomorrow night, which will also trigger even more sales from people who don't have the cushion. That is his only rise above initial price though, so subsequent drops will be slower given his big ownership.

Alternatively, what if Aguero plays and looks good, would I still sell then? Probably not on performance terms but there's profit to made if a large enough number of managers are ditching him anyway....

eastcentral1
Dumbledore

Post by eastcentral1 »

I think those who have Costa will likely hold, as they'll have a lot of money tied up in him. More so if they have to deal with Kun.

Billy Bongo
FISO Knight

Post by Billy Bongo »

I'm a Burnley fan.

I've kept KUN because I think we've ridden our luck at home and with a full squad I worry about being hammered this weekend

baganboy
Comfortably Dumb(ledore)
FS Record: 2011/12 - 212. 2019/20 - 222.
Altogether 6 top 10Ks. 8 top 20Ks. 9 top 50Ks.

Post by baganboy »

I can have an obscene defence with Aguero - > Kane.
MUnited, Arsenal, Spurs, Chelsea.
Plus big hitters all around.

Notwithstanding how well Aguero does, is Aguero + Holebas + Pieters > Kane + Alonso + Monreal?

Ruth_NZ
Grumpy Old Gorilla

Post by Ruth_NZ »

The Dazzler wrote:You complained about "I told you so's" a few weeks back. There were a couple of posters who said it, most posted against the "I told you so's". And you now you are engaging in "I told you so's"????
No. Where do you get that?

It would be impossible to say "I told you so" in this case anyway, the matter is very moot either way.

Mav3rick
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Mav3rick »

baganboy wrote:I can have an obscene defence with Aguero - > Kane.
MUnited, Arsenal, Spurs, Chelsea.
Plus big hitters all around.

Notwithstanding how well Aguero does, is Aguero + Holebas + Pieters > Kane + Alonso + Monreal?
This is where I start getting jittery around selling Aguero. Spreading the funds around looks great, but it's a commitment to no Aguero as it makes it hard to get him back (well without -8s anyway which are usually pretty off putting).

I don't mind at all the look of the team with stronger defenders, but you still get diminishing returns with the third or even fourth premium defender going in. It's such a hard thing to judge when you have multiple squad improvements to compare.

The Dazzler
Grumpy Old Man

Post by The Dazzler »

Ruth_NZ wrote:
The Dazzler wrote:You complained about "I told you so's" a few weeks back. There were a couple of posters who said it, most posted against the "I told you so's". And you now you are engaging in "I told you so's"????
No. Where do you get that?
Probably from this;
Ruth_NZ wrote:Hi all, I am going to ignore the "told you so" nonsense which is only coming from one source anyhow. I did prepare a long reply but just deleted it. :)
Ruth_NZ wrote:I was just hoping to get beyond the name-calling and "who's right, who's wrong" stuff is all.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ruth_NZ wrote:It would be impossible to say "I told you so" in this case anyway, the matter is very moot either way.
Impossible to say what now?
Ruth_NZ wrote: What I find frustrating is that many FFS managers are now catching up with what I was saying 5 weeks ago having derided it at the time. Seems like my non-Aguero differential is about to become template. :roll:
That's not a "I told you so"? As you're going to continue to argue that black is white, I'll leave it to others to judge as I don't wish to derail the thread.

From4corners
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by From4corners »

I went without Aguero two months earlier than you, Ruth, feel free to look me up and touch me. ;)

Ruth_NZ
Grumpy Old Gorilla

Post by Ruth_NZ »

I give up. :|

Poison Idea
Treebeard
FS Record: Decent

Post by Poison Idea »

The Dazzler wrote: I'll leave it to others to judge as I don't wish to derail the thread.
That's the way I saw it too. "I told you so" is really hard to resist evidently, even though Aguero keepers must be quite happy with the last three weeks, 3 goals, one assist, and last week must've been mediocre at best for the vast majority of decent managers.

I wouldn't have thought of selling and was captaining until the yellow flag, now thinking of selling and upgrading 4th midfielder Bolasie via 2FT, then possibly buying back after CHE. What bothers me is the prospect of spending two hours behind the sofa tomorrow, but hey, it's only the early game. Perhaps he won't start. Perhaps things will work out after that.
Last edited by Poison Idea on 25 Nov 2016, 22:09, edited 1 time in total.

baganboy
Comfortably Dumb(ledore)
FS Record: 2011/12 - 212. 2019/20 - 222.
Altogether 6 top 10Ks. 8 top 20Ks. 9 top 50Ks.

Post by baganboy »

Mav3rick wrote: I don't mind at all the look of the team with stronger defenders, but you still get diminishing returns with the third or even fourth premium defender going in. It's such a hard thing to judge when you have multiple squad improvements to compare.
Okay, I could not follow very well. Could you explain a bit more in detail?

Finisher1
Dumbledore

Post by Finisher1 »

The Dazzler wrote:
Is that an "I told you so" about Ruth_NZ posting "I told you so's"? :lol:

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Fantasy PremierLeague.com (FPL)”