To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Does Giroud deserve some attention?

A Fantasy Football forum for news on fantasy football games run by the Premierleague (FPL).
DonTanTilla
Treebeard

Re: Oliver Giroud, we have to talk about hairy Olly

Post by DonTanTilla »

Weisenwolf is drunk again

Mav3rick
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FPL: 1082, 1201, 1800, 10203

The stats are dark and full of errors.

Post by Mav3rick »

Weisenwolf wrote:OK so Arsenal fans wanted better but he walks on the pitch & scores twice. Only £8.8M is he a prospect or was it only a tired Sunderland?
Giroud didn't do anything special for his goals, so it's really a question of if Wenger is going to stop playing Sanchez up front.

Giroud is quite expensive though, and I'm not sure that it's worth the risk given the imminent fixtures anyway.

owenclass
Grumpy Old Man

Post by owenclass »

Lets not talk about Hairy Olly as when i put him in my team, he never does anything

Pulpy
Grumpy Old Man

Re: Does Giroud deserve some attention?

Post by Pulpy »

If he gets minutes (even as sub) he'll make Ozil a better pick going forwards.

MoSe
Dumbledore
FS Record: FISODAS CUP Winner Season 25
FISO H2H Winner: 15/16 Div2 - 16/17 Div1
FISO Mirror: 16/17 PL Winner

Post by MoSe »

Paulista wrote:How did he get 3 bonus over Sanchez? Is it because his first goal (Arsenal's second goal) was deemed the 'winning' goal?
ZeroRemorse wrote:
Mav3rick wrote:It's because Sanchez loses a load of BPS points during the game. Things like being tacked when taking people on are very costly. See Sanchez in this table, and see (to the left of the vertical line) how many BPS points he is losing in comparison to other players:

http://public.tableau.com/profile/turd1 ... Sbreakdown
Thanks for the info, this definitely clears a lot of things up!
very interesting!

but also, simplier, partly because a midf goal is worth 18 BPS while a fwd goal is 24 BPS
In this match, having both scored 2 goals, Giroud got 12 BPS more for simply being a fwd

Actually
Giroud 53 BPS = 48 for 2 goals + 5 everything else
Sánchez 40 BPS = 36 for 2 goals + 4 everything else

goals and position made almost all the difference

BobMem
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: The Graduates - FISO 5AS H2H Champions 13/14
FISO King of Rock and Roll - Elimination game winner 2015/16

Post by BobMem »

Although the difference in 'everything else' means Giroud would still have walked away with 3bp even if mids and strikers got the same BPS for goals.

Mav3rick
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Mav3rick »

I don't think it's that surprising that a forward with two goals got the 3BP, that is probably to be expected.

But how has Sanchez only got +4 points for "everything else" during a 90 minute appearance, when he should be getting 6 just for playing 90 mins? Well, according to that link he loses (per appearance):

3.57 for being tackled
1.43 for fouling
0.71 for offsides
and 0.71 for shots off target and 0.86 for big chances missed (although Giroud is similar on these two marks).

Being tackled looks particularly damaging when you look down the list. Someone like Costa for instance is losing almost 6BPS points per match just in being tackled.

Pulpy
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Pulpy »

Mav3rick wrote: Being tackled looks particularly damaging when you look down the list. Someone like Costa for instance is losing almost 6BPS points per match just in being tackled.
Harsh really on talented players like Sanchez who are more likely to take opponents on so are bound to lose the ball occasionally. Certainly something to be aware of.

Weisenwolf
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: 2,234 points; back when this was considered a good score....

Post by Weisenwolf »

DonTanTilla wrote:Weisenwolf is drunk again
:oops:

The Username
Grumpy Old Man

Post by The Username »

I think after what Wenger said this week about Sanchez and Walcott playing together, i dont think Giroud is a first team starter.

Weisenwolf
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Weisenwolf »

Mav3rick wrote:
Weisenwolf wrote:OK so Arsenal fans wanted better but he walks on the pitch & scores twice. Only £8.8M is he a prospect or was it only a tired Sunderland?
Giroud didn't do anything special for his goals, so it's really a question of if Wenger is going to stop playing Sanchez up front.

Giroud is quite expensive though, and I'm not sure that it's worth the risk given the imminent fixtures anyway.
It is certainly highly likely he will be an impact sub as he was yesterday or at best play the odd game where his size/physicality helps.

Weisenwolf
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Weisenwolf »

The Username wrote:I think after what Wenger said this week about Sanchez and Walcott playing together, i dont think Giroud is a first team starter.
They have certainly worked well together; still torn over whether to keep Walcott myself.

Hotstepper
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Reasonable

Post by Hotstepper »

Thinking Lukaku > Giroud.

Anyone with me?!?

ricardo68
FISOhead

Post by ricardo68 »

Minutes on pitch say no.

Cornish Gooner
Treebeard

Post by Cornish Gooner »

Was really tempted to get him in for Lukaku but I've gone with Defoe instead just for the certainty of starts. Giroud could be gold though, he's clearly wound up and is looking to prove a point everytime he gets the chance but maybe Wenger is happy to have that "impact sub" option on the bench rather than play him for long periods. It'll become clearer over the next couple of weeks and I'll definitely get him if he looks like starting.

Hotstepper
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Hotstepper »

Interesting Wenger played what looked like a first choice 11, but with Giroud up front and Walcott benched. Sanchez I assume back on wing. And Olivier scored again, on penalty duties. I'm in, Lukaku > Giroud done.

Mav3rick
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Mav3rick »

Did it look first choice? Gibbs and Ospina played didn't they? I think Giroud probably deserves a start for BOU, but I'd not be surprised at all if Iwobi drops out for the weekend.

I'd like Giroud to be an option going forward but with all the previous quotes from Wenger about Sanchez being the striker I am currently far too worried about his game time beyond this weekend to get him in myself.

Hotstepper
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Hotstepper »

Mav3rick wrote:Did it look first choice? Gibbs and Ospina played didn't they? I think Giroud probably deserves a start for BOU, but I'd not be surprised at all if Iwobi drops out for the weekend.

I'd like Giroud to be an option going forward but with all the previous quotes from Wenger about Sanchez being the striker I am currently far too worried about his game time beyond this weekend to get him in myself.
Sorry I suppose what I mean is that the midfield and forward picks looked viable first choices. Giroud been scoring every time he plays, coincides with a bit of a drop off in Walcott's form. Been a month or so since his last big performance. PSG was a big game for Arsenal, so a big call for Wenger starting Giroud.

It's definitely an FPL gamble on him. I doubt he's a season keeper, but with a good run of fixtures I think he could be explosive. Doesn't necessarily have to be a straight Walcott or Giroud choice, as Iwobi would come into that. Plus he took last night's pen ahead of Sanchez and Ozil.

I'm even considering CAPTAIN Giroud!! :D :D

Fuzzy
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: meh

Post by Fuzzy »

Mav3rick wrote:Did it look first choice? Gibbs and Ospina played didn't they? I think Giroud probably deserves a start for BOU, but I'd not be surprised at all if Iwobi drops out for the weekend.

I can't second guess Wenger, but on last weekends performance it would be a backward step if he drops Iwobi. They really missed the width and the smart positioning and linkup play that he provides.

Onto the immediate question of Giroud, he is no certain starter just yet, but if he starts and looks dangerous on the weekend (after playing last night) he becomes very interesting.

TheoRiginal
FISOhead
FS Record: Virginal

Post by TheoRiginal »

I seem to remember getting little or no sleep around the time my kids were being born, so maybe Wenger took pity on Theo, or just recognised that he was not 100% for the CL.

Mind you, I have been tired ever since I became a father, so maybe a move to the unencumbered Giroud is a good idea....

cesc408
Grumpy Old Man

Post by cesc408 »

Still think Walcott will be back in our team come the weekend

Paulista
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Paulista »

Ben Dinnery tweeted -
Giroud ankle injury is not as bad as initially feared, the striker continues to be assessed. #AFC optimistic he could be ready for Sunday.
And he was out and about yesterday doing promotional work -

https://mobile.twitter.com/Arsenal/stat ... 7652904963

TheoRiginal
FISOhead
FS Record: Virginal

Post by TheoRiginal »

Paulista wrote:Ben Dinnery tweeted -
Giroud ankle injury is not as bad as initially feared, the striker continues to be assessed. #AFC optimistic he could be ready for Sunday.
And he was out and about yesterday doing promotional work -

https://mobile.twitter.com/Arsenal/stat ... 7652904963
You can't see the wheelchair in that photo....

Payet
Treebeard
FS Record: 2016/2017: 8.879

Post by Payet »

Are there any news about Giroud's situation? I can see he's fit, but what are the odds Wenger will bench him since they have quiet easy fixture @ Emirates?

I'm asking this because of my triple-captain chip.

Cornish Gooner
Treebeard

Post by Cornish Gooner »

Arsenal press conference is 0900 tommorrow so hopefully we'll get some news then.

Weisenwolf
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Weisenwolf »

My guess is that he will be on the bench. Makes sense to let him rest unless we need plan 'B' although it may also depend on whether Bellerin is playing.

Finisher1
Dumbledore

Post by Finisher1 »

Payet wrote:I'm asking this because of my triple-captain chip.
Triple captain chip should be played in DGW. That is pretty much a fact.

Weisenwolf
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Weisenwolf »

Finisher1 wrote:
Payet wrote:I'm asking this because of my triple-captain chip.
Triple captain chip should be played in DGW. That is pretty much a fact.
+1
Unless there is only 1 and BB is a better choice

Payet
Treebeard
FS Record: 2016/2017: 8.879

Post by Payet »

Yeah, I know. But I would be satisfied if my triple-captained option scores 15 in a single Gameweek (which would mean gaining 45 points total).

So it doesn't make a big difference, though. This week Hazard, Sanchez (with Giroud out), Costa and maybe Lukaku look like possible 15+ scorers.

Rivers
Treebeard

Post by Rivers »

Wenger confirms Giroud in training since yesterday.

I think he'll start - he's in form and the match isn't until Sunday.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Fantasy PremierLeague.com (FPL)”