To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Which assist rules should apply?

A Fantasy Football forum for news on fantasy football games run by the Premierleague (FPL).

Deflected crosses off the keeper doesn't count
3%
Deflected crosses off the keeper does count
9%
Deflected crosses off defenders doesn't count
5%
Deflected crosses off defenders does count
7%
Deflected shots off the keeper doesn't count
2%
Deflected shots off the keeper does count
10%
Deflected shots off defenders doesn't count
4%
Deflected shots off defenders does count
9%
Deflected passes where the opposition player significantly deflects the ball when standing in the penalty area doesn't count
5%
Deflected passes where the opposition player significantly deflects the ball when standing in the penalty area does count
4%
Deflected passes where the opposition player significantly deflects the ball when standing outside the penalty area doesn't count
7%
Deflected passes where the opposition player significantly deflects the ball when standing outside the penalty area does count
4%
Setting up own goals doesn't count
3%
Setting up own goals does count
8%
Being fouled for a converted free kick doesn't count
2%
Being fouled for a converted free kick does count
8%
Being fouled for a penalty doesn't count
No votes
Being fouled for a penalty does count
10%

Total votes: 138

Football Hero
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Football Hero »

I'm interested in knowing what assist rules most people think should apply in this game, as the rules have changed a few times over the years.

RomynPG
Dumbledore
FS Record: FPL 134 overall 06/07 ... never close since

Re: Which assist rules should apply?

Post by RomynPG »

Football Hero wrote:I'm interested in knowing what assist rules most people think should apply in this game, as the rules have changed a few times over the years.
What are the rules now? ... and what do you think?

Football Hero
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Football Hero »

RomynPG wrote:
Football Hero wrote:I'm interested in knowing what assist rules most people think should apply in this game, as the rules have changed a few times over the years.
What are the rules now? ... and what do you think?
The changes from last season were that crosses punched away by the keeper do not count as assists now, but they did count last season. Hence why Tadic did not get an assist for Redmond's goal in GW1 against Watford after Gomes pushed the corner out to Redmond.

Also, shots deflected off defenders do count as assists now, whereas previously the shot always needed to be deflected off the keeper for the assist to count.

So effectively only pin-point crosses count as assists this season and random ricocheting shots always count as assists.

I used to prefer it when virtually all assists counted, save for when a significant deflection occurs outside the penalty area. That was the rule a few season's ago and most goals ended up with assists back then. Considering there's not that many ways for players to score points each match, I feel that FPL should be doing as much as they can to award as many assists as possible.

gallus
Grumpy Old Man

Post by gallus »

voted for everything counts

Football Hero
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Football Hero »

Hopefully Zlatan's assist gets removed as per FPL's rules for this season.

TheoRiginal
FISOhead
FS Record: Virginal

Post by TheoRiginal »

tl:dr

Resonare
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Resonare »

IMO, everything should count other than setting up your own goal (including pen) because that's simply too vague.

Football Hero
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Football Hero »

Resonare wrote:IMO, everything should count other than setting up your own goal (including pen) because that's simply too vague.
I agree, it has the advantage of awarding points for more things, plus debate over deflected passes and crosses becomes irrelevant because they all count. It's a shame that FPL had to change this so that goals only have assists awarded about 80% of the time now, rather than 95% of the time.

However it seems that FPL are bending the rules in GW5 to favour Zlatan owners at the moment though, (presumably due to his high ownership), as Zlatan's 'assist' still stands for some reason, despite players with lower ownership's not having deflected crosses counting as assists in GW1 - GW4, (Tadic in GW1 against Watford for instance).

Omarz14
Red & Blue Braces

Post by Omarz14 »

Apart from the assists...I still can't understand why a player doesn't get any points for winning a penalty that is eventually missed. Unfair.

Omarz14
Red & Blue Braces

Post by Omarz14 »

I would love categorizing assists....

Great cross/pass should get all 3 points.

A player who just passes the ball to the goalscorer who runs the length of the pitch and scores, could get 2.

A deflected assist/ fouled player..etc...gets 1 point.

That's just a wild thought of course. :mrgreen:

Football Hero
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Football Hero »

Omarz14 wrote:Apart from the assists...I still can't understand why a player doesn't get any points for winning a penalty that is eventually missed. Unfair.
Because there is no goal at the end of it.

It's no different to laying it on a plate for a player to tap it in and they proceed to sky it over the bar; you don't get an assist there either, despite giving them a better chance to score than a penalty.

Football Hero
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Football Hero »

Having looked at the assists that FPL awarded today, there was potentially four contentious ones:

1.) Ibra crossing for Rashfords goal, where the ball was crossed towards the centre of the goal and was deflected back towards the near post for Rashford to score.

2.) Puncheon's corner towards the centre of the area, was flicked on back towards McArthur who then shot and scored.

3.) Bony tried to pass the ball low and forwards towards Diouf in the centre of the area and the ball got deflected towards the edge of the area where Arnautovic smacked the ball in.

4.) Tadic crossed towards the near post and the ball got helped on by a defender with a large looping lob towards the far post for Austin to score.

1.), 2.) and 4.) were given as assists and 3.) was not.

Having a look at FPL's 'logic' here it seems that if a ball is crossed in towards the centre of the area say, then if a defender/goalkeeper either helps the ball on towards the far post, (often applying more power to the ball so that it reaches the far post), OR the defender/goalkeeper knocks the ball back from where it came from towards the near post, then in FPL's mind, these count as insignificant deflections and an assist is awarded.

However if the defender/goalkeeper intercept the cross and move the ball from the centre of the goal back towards the 'D' or edge of the area, then this means an assist does not get awarded.

This to me seems rather ludicrous as significant deflections can occur in all of those scenarios where for instance the ball is helped on towards a player that the pass was not going to otherwise reach at the back post, or a cross being over-hit and then being knocked back towards the near post.

I personally think all of these scenarios should count as assists, but if some of them shouldn't count then in my mind none of them should count. I don't like the way that FPL are rather arbitrarily allowing some to count and some not.

Kenzo
Kevin and Perry

Post by Kenzo »

Previously it was 1 touch rebound of opponent player the box = assists, rebound outside the box = no assist
More than 1 opponent touch the ball = no assist

Kenzo
Kevin and Perry

Post by Kenzo »

Just read the FPL help page on assist, nothing's changed

Football Hero
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Football Hero »

Kenzo wrote:Previously it was 1 touch rebound of opponent player the box = assists, rebound outside the box = no assist
More than 1 opponent touch the ball = no assist
That's not true because no assist was given for Redmond's goal:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RM-bvurDk4A

The cross was only touched by one player, and the ball did not rebound outside the box, yet no assist was given.

The difference here, (like with the Bony example above), appears to be that the ball was pushed out towards the 'D', as opposed to being pushed towards the near or far posts.

Kenzo
Kevin and Perry

Post by Kenzo »

Fpl did have some mistakenly awarded assist or non assist over the past seasons, but the rules didn't change. Which you are claiming the rules changes.

There were controversy like Rooney's touch some seasons ago.

Football Hero
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Football Hero »

Kenzo wrote:Fpl did have some mistakenly awarded assist or non assist over the past seasons, but the rules didn't change. Which you are claiming the rules changes.

The rules have changed, because you get assists from shots that are blocked from defenders now, whereas previously the blocked shot had to come from the goalkeeper. You also don't get assists when the goalkeeper palms crosses out towards the 'D', whereas previously you did get assists for that.

Also, you used to get assists for any type of deflection, so long as the deflection took place inside the area.

Kenzo
Kevin and Perry

Post by Kenzo »

Football Hero wrote:
Kenzo wrote:Fpl did have some mistakenly awarded assist or non assist over the past seasons, but the rules didn't change. Which you are claiming the rules changes.

The rules have changed, because you get assists from shots that are blocked from defenders now, whereas previously the blocked shot had to come from the goalkeeper. You also don't get assists when the goalkeeper palms crosses out towards the 'D', whereas previously you did get assists for that.

Also, you used to get assists for any type of deflection, so long as the deflection took place inside the area.
It didn't change, it had always been whether the block happens inside the box or outside the box, not by defender or gk

MoSe
Dumbledore
FS Record: FISODAS CUP Winner Season 25
FISO H2H Winner: 15/16 Div2 - 16/17 Div1
FISO Mirror: 16/17 PL Winner

Post by MoSe »

Kenzo wrote:It didn't change, it had always been whether the block happens inside the box or outside the box, not by defender or gk
This is my 3rd season, and I'm positive I never saw any mention about in or outside the box in the assist rules.
If there ever was, must have been prior to the 14/15 season, but your "always" does not apply to the last 3 seasons

Kenzo
Kevin and Perry

Post by Kenzo »

MoSe wrote:
Kenzo wrote:It didn't change, it had always been whether the block happens inside the box or outside the box, not by defender or gk
This is my 3rd season, and I'm positive I never saw any mention about in or outside the box in the assist rules.
If there ever was, must have been prior to the 14/15 season, but your "always" does not apply to the last 3 seasons
I had Defoe when his shot was blocked by a defender outside the box and fell to his team mate who scored. Fpl released a statement that week and stated Defoe was not awarded the assist as the block took place outside the box, despite no second rebound before the goal.

Kenzo
Kevin and Perry

Post by Kenzo »

Football Hero wrote:

Imo for Redmond goal, based on current Rules, the Fpl help states that "shot on goal" rebound counts as assist.

Tadic ball was a corner, not "shot on goal" and the GK punched it to Redmond.

Probably not a mistake by Fpl

MoSe
Dumbledore
FS Record: FISODAS CUP Winner Season 25
FISO H2H Winner: 15/16 Div2 - 16/17 Div1
FISO Mirror: 16/17 PL Winner

Post by MoSe »

Kenzo wrote:
MoSe wrote:
I had Defoe when his shot was blocked by a defender outside the box and fell to his team mate who scored. Fpl released a statement that week and stated Defoe was not awarded the assist as the block took place outside the box, despite no second rebound before the goal.
1. which season it was?
2. I should have been more specific, and say "I'm positive I never saw any mention in the rules"
Even if that happened in the last 3 seasons, and I forgot about it or overlooked it as it didn't concern me,
it wasn't written in the rules, so much that FPL had to release a statement for the specific case to clarify it

also, by stating that it didn't change and it had always been like that, you imply that it's still that way now
so it should be written in the rules, whereas it's NOT
FPL Rules wrote:> Scoring
Assists
Rebounds

If a shot on goal is blocked by an opposition player, is saved by a goalkeeper or hits the woodwork, and a goal is scored from the rebound, then an assist is awarded.
still no mention whatsoever about where the block happens

I have no problem accepting what you report, and I even thank you for clarifying and reminding it
but it's not written in the rules, it was a specific ruling for a specific case, easy to not be aware of it if one overlooked that specific case

Kenzo
Kevin and Perry

Post by Kenzo »

MoSe wrote:
Kenzo wrote:
MoSe wrote:
1. which season it was?
2. I should have been more specific, and say "I'm positive I never saw any mention in the rules"
Even if that happened in the last 3 seasons, and I forgot about it or overlooked it as it didn't concern me,
it wasn't written in the rules, so much that FPL had to release a statement for the specific case to clarify it

also, by stating that it didn't change and it had always been like that, you imply that it's still that way now
so it should be written in the rules, whereas it's NOT
FPL Rules wrote:> Scoring
Assists
Rebounds

If a shot on goal is blocked by an opposition player, is saved by a goalkeeper or hits the woodwork, and a goal is scored from the rebound, then an assist is awarded.
still no mention whatsoever about where the block happens

I have no problem accepting what you report, and I even thank you for clarifying and reminding it
but it's not written in the rules, it was a specific ruling for a specific case, easy to not be aware of it if one overlooked that specific case
I am sorry I can't recall which specific season, but there was 1 season when there was a constant review of points/action every gameweek, and Fpl will provide a statement when it happens.

It only last 1 season, now there aren't reviews or statement release.

But to the same claims of changes, there aren't any previous rules to compare too.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Fantasy PremierLeague.com (FPL)”