To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Has Rashford been Wellbecked?

A forum for discussion on Football matters not involving fantasy issues.
Football Hero
Grumpy Old Man

Has Rashford been Wellbecked?

Post by Football Hero »

In my mind he has that feel of a Danny Wellbeck now. He isn't ever going to make it as a star at Man Utd in my opinion. True stars usually only ever have an up and up trajectory with the momentum of their careers, (there is the odd exception like Bale), and so for most young up and coming players, once their career momentum takes them on a downturn it rarely ever recovers. That is where I feel Rashford is now. Some currently undiscovered, random unknown in the Man Utd academy at the minute has a better chance of being a future star for Man Utd than Rashford, since they haven't had their 'chance' yet, and may grab it with both hands when it comes their turn.

To be fair, I didn't really rate Rashford that much from what I saw of him last year; he just looks a bit too ungainly on the ball and he doesn't look smooth or natural in motion. I think he was just in the right place at the right time in the penalty area for some of his goals, and once the law of averages evens out, he won't have that many goals in him.

I reckon he'll spend a few seasons kicking around at Man Utd as an occasional back-up player, then when Zlatan and Rooney get too old, Mourinho, (or whoever is in charge at that point), will look to replace those two with established, world class stars, and Rashford won't get a sniff. Then he will get the message that he needs to leave and he'll go to Arsenal, Spurs, Leicester or some club like that.

Thoughts?

JLH
FISOhead

Re: Has Rashford been Wellbecked?

Post by JLH »

I wouldn't pick him for my fantasy team! This post is more suited for a United forum

Mo Bot
Dumbledore
FS Record: Inaugural Last Man Standing. FISO Fantasy Eurovision champ 2012. World #1 in UFPL for a whole week

Post by Mo Bot »

I think he'll be first choice for all Europa League, FA and League cup games plus get the odd start in the league. If that's the case, he'll get 20-25 games potentially. If he scores 20 from that then he has a chance of getting some more games in the league. If he scores less then he probably isn't good enough.

Carlos Kickaball
Dumbledore

Post by Carlos Kickaball »

Rashhford.

He's been Wellbecked now...

CR9
Wideboy
FS Record: Superb

Post by CR9 »

Football Hero wrote:I think he was just in the right place at the right time in the penalty area for some of his goals.
He's a striker. That's sort of the point.

baganboy
Comfortably Dumb(ledore)
FS Record: 2011/12 - 212. 2019/20 - 222.
Altogether 6 top 10Ks. 8 top 20Ks. 9 top 50Ks.

Post by baganboy »

Football Hero wrote:..........
I am trolling, and this is absolutely not suited for this forum, please delete et al - but well, there you go. This is assuming Mourinho does not do another Chelsea mark 2 at Man United, and the fifth placers in the league do not become fifteenth-placers. And compete not against the first, second and third, but the 16th, 17th and 18th. I'd say it's not impossible.

Owsler
Dumbledore

Post by Owsler »

I think it's a real shame. He's a youngster, sure, but seems to have bags of confidence. If he was a starter, I'd have him over lots of other strikers. Why does he stay? Is he locked in, stupid, his agent's an ass? I don't understand the mentality of manager's hoarding players and/or players sticking around just to be benched or gawping from the stands.

Football Hero
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Football Hero »

CR9 wrote:
Football Hero wrote:I think he was just in the right place at the right time in the penalty area for some of his goals.
No, it was just lucky as no striker can anticipate where crosses are going to be heading with that consistency.

Le Red
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Will improve

Post by Le Red »

Rashford has shown class, not just poaching. He'll be used in the cups and is certainly the first name to be looked at whenever Ibra or Rooney are injured or need a rest. He'll have time to play.

Football Hero
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Football Hero »

Le Red wrote:Rashford has shown class, not just poaching. He'll be used in the cups and is certainly the first name to be looked at whenever Ibra or Rooney are injured or need a rest. He'll have time to play.
Yeah, he will have time to play, but pretty much no matter how he performs, you know that he will right back on that bench again and make way for Zlatan and Rooney, so it doesn't really feel like he is truly 'auditioning' if that makes sense.

He would probably have to score 2+ goals in most games that Ibra/Rooney are out for Mourinho to seriously change his opinion on him. That is why I feel he's essentially falling back into the 'Danny Wellbeck' role at the club, which is fine from United's point of view, because you need back-up; but from Rashford's point of view he's unlikely to ever be the main striker at a top club or in the England national team.

Le Red
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Le Red »

Football Hero wrote:
Le Red wrote:Rashford has shown class, not just poaching. He'll be used in the cups and is certainly the first name to be looked at whenever Ibra or Rooney are injured or need a rest. He'll have time to play.
Yeah, he will have time to play, but pretty much no matter how he performs, you know that he will right back on that bench again and make way for Zlatan and Rooney, so it doesn't really feel like he is truly 'auditioning' if that makes sense.

He would probably have to score 2+ goals in most games that Ibra/Rooney are out for Mourinho to seriously change his opinion on him. That is why I feel he's essentially falling back into the 'Danny Wellbeck' role at the club, which is fine from United's point of view, because you need back-up; but from Rashford's point of view he's unlikely to ever be the main striker at a top club or in the England national team.
"Unlikely to ever be" is a very strong sentence. Guy's young af and has plenty of time to develop and get an opportunity. Ibra won't last forever and Rooney's yet to prove he can stop decaying.

Football Hero
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Football Hero »

Le Red wrote:
Football Hero wrote:

"Unlikely to ever be" is a very strong sentence. Guy's young af and has plenty of time to develop and get an opportunity. Ibra won't last forever and Rooney's yet to prove he can stop decaying.
Yeah, but once Rashford has been tarred with that 'back-up sub' brush, I can't see him replacing them long-term, as United will just splash out on expensive replacements; and Rashford will either stay as back-up for the replacements, or leave to go to a lower club.

Le Red
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Le Red »

Football Hero wrote:
Le Red wrote:
Football Hero wrote:

Yeah, but once Rashford has been tarred with that 'back-up sub' brush, I can't see him replacing them long-term, as United will just splash out on expensive replacements; and Rashford will either stay as back-up for the replacements, or leave to go to a lower club.
It could happen. It's despicable that some players are labelled as "subs" and managers think that's what they are meant to be for the rest of their lives. But I still think Rashford will make it through at some point, and I hope it's at United and not somewhere else.

Bob Newhart
FISO Knight

Post by Bob Newhart »

Football Hero wrote:
CR9 wrote:
No, it was just lucky as no striker can anticipate where crosses are going to be heading with that consistency.
Rubbish. Anticipation is a key component of any good striker's game.

CR9
Wideboy
FS Record: Superb

Post by CR9 »

Bob Newhart wrote:
Football Hero wrote:
CR9 wrote:
What he said!

gallus
Grumpy Old Man

Post by gallus »

Football Hero wrote:
CR9 wrote:
Tell that to Inzaghi. Reading the game is one of the most important skills for strikers.

Football Hero
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Football Hero »

Bob Newhart wrote:
Football Hero wrote:
CR9 wrote:
You're right, he is rubbish. ;-)

Like I said, in all honesty I think his time at the top of the game is finished, maybe it never even started.

DragonSwag
Treebeard

Re: RE: Re: Has Rashford been Wellbecked?

Post by DragonSwag »

Football Hero wrote:

Like I said, in all honesty I think his time at the top of the game is finished, maybe it never even started.
Hes 18, what

Football Hero
Grumpy Old Man

Re: RE: Re: Has Rashford been Wellbecked?

Post by Football Hero »

DragonSwag wrote:
Football Hero wrote:

Hes 18, what
He's finished as a Man Utd first team prospect imo.

Mourinho has already said that he wants to keep him around for cup games. That's a damning indictment for Rashford's first team chances.

If you want to make it into the first team at the big clubs, it seems like you need to break into the first team of a mid-table club first and then get bought for £30M+ by the big boys. Then they will play you in their first team as a 'star'. Think of Luke Shaw and John Stones.

When was the last time that a young player from a big club's academy broke through into that club's first team?

DragonSwag
Treebeard

Post by DragonSwag »

I was more adressing this sentance, maybe I misunderstood

"his time at the top of the game is finished"

I agree his time at UTD is probably finished but saying hes finished with top football is a bit too much.

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

And MU could buy him back for 60 0r 70 times what they sell him for in a few years time?

Football Hero
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Football Hero »

DragonSwag wrote:I was more adressing this sentance, maybe I misunderstood

I agree his time at UTD is probably finished but saying hes finished with top football is a bit too much.
Yeah, he will have a career in football, just like Danny Wellbeck does, hence the title of this thread.

Football Hero
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Football Hero »

blahblah wrote:And MU could buy him back for 60 0r 70 times what they sell him for in a few years time?
That's his best chance of becoming a Man Utd regular, yes.

Tranners
Kevin and Perry

Post by Tranners »

He is 18 years old, asking him to be Uniteds main man is unrealistic, Mourinho knew this and brought Ibrahimovic in for a couple of years untill Rashford is really ready, with Martial on the left and Rooney at number 10, it was important for Mourinho to strengthen the front line

Saying Rashfords United career is finished is absurd, he will be the future no question about it

bigcliff2
Dumbledore
FS Record: Rubbish

Post by bigcliff2 »

Football Hero wrote:
DragonSwag wrote:I was more adressing this sentance, maybe I misunderstood

Yeah, he will have a career in football, just like Danny Wellbeck does, hence the title of this thread.
Just about ffs...

ctibbits
Dumbledore
FS Record: Won "The Bet" 2014/15

Post by ctibbits »

Tranners wrote:He is 18 years old, asking him to be Uniteds main man is unrealistic, Mourinho knew this and brought Ibrahimovic in for a couple of years untill Rashford is really ready, with Martial on the left and Rooney at number 10, it was important for Mourinho to strengthen the front line

Saying Rashfords United career is finished is absurd, he will be the future no question about it

Equally as absurd a statement. You have no more basis for the confidence in that statement as FH saying his career is finished at United. It all remains to be seen. Couple of seasons ago Macheda was the "future" of United also. :roll:

Le Red
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Le Red »

The fact that Welbeck is rubbish and Rashford is not makes this an uneven comparison.

Football Hero
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Football Hero »

ctibbits wrote:
Tranners wrote:He is 18 years old, asking him to be Uniteds main man is unrealistic, Mourinho knew this and brought Ibrahimovic in for a couple of years untill Rashford is really ready, with Martial on the left and Rooney at number 10, it was important for Mourinho to strengthen the front line

Equally as absurd a statement. You have no more basis for the confidence in that statement as FH saying his career is finished at United.
It all remains to be seen. Couple of seasons ago Macheda was the "future" of United also. :roll:
I disagree. There is more basis to what I am saying than what he is saying. How many young players are making it through the academy at the top clubs these days? Rashford is far more likely to not be United's future, than be United's future. It's more prudent to assume that none of these youngsters will actually make it from the top club's academy until it actually happens.

Ashers
FISO Knight
FS Record: OFL Fantasy Fives Winner 2011/2012, SDT wins WDT, weekly, monthly and seasonal prizes. Fantasy Darts daily winner, TFFO mini league winner & FISO U21 Threes Champs 13.

Post by Ashers »

Please can you refrain from quoting every part of the previous message. There are a number of quotes on here with quotes quoting other quotes.

It makes for a difficult read and loses the part of the message you're trying to highlight.

As for Rashford, he is 18 and won't go far wrong if he follows Welbeck (without the injuries).

LamebrainEddy
Red & Blue Braces

Post by LamebrainEddy »

Ashers wrote:
As for Rashford, he is 18 and won't go far wrong if he follows Welbeck (without the injuries).
I agree, people like to write off Welbeck but he was a good servant for United and was (in my view) unfairly shunted from the club he'd supported since he was a kid to make way for some mercenary striker with crocked knees. (Falcao) I was very sad to see him go.

He might not have been prolific but he worked enough on the pitch to justify his spot, injuries have really let him down.

Mourinho coming to united concerned me with regards to Rashford, Ibrahimovic coming concerned me even more. This is the ideal time to be blooding our youth and we aren't doing it, I just hope Rashford gets at least some of the minutes he should have earned with his performances so far.

Anyway, as FPL picks we can probably all agree that neither of them will see our teams this season

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Football Talk & Events”