To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Gray and (probable) ban

A Fantasy Football forum for news on fantasy football games run by the Premierleague (FPL).
blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Gray and (probable) ban

Post by blahblah »

If you have him when will you sell him\old him?

When he gets close to the first drop?

Or dependent on how many matches it is (assuming that he gets one)? If so, how many?

Owsler
Dumbledore

Re: Gray and (probable) ban

Post by Owsler »

I can do:

Gray -> Benteke (leaving me 0 itb). Any price changes and I'm stuffed without a further transfer.

Geri
Red & Blue Braces

Post by Geri »

Is there any invastigation or indication he might get ban or just people's reaction/opinion to the situation?

Owsler
Dumbledore

Post by Owsler »

Owsler wrote:I can do:

Gray -> Benteke (leaving me 0 itb). Any price changes and I'm stuffed without a further transfer.
Benteke comes off after several chances to score, Wickham comes on and promptly scores :lol: :lol:

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

Geri wrote:Is there any invastigation or indication he might get ban or just people's reaction/opinion to the situation?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/37169558

and http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/37167131 could provide some sort of benchmark?

Weisenwolf
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: 2,234 points; back when this was considered a good score....

Post by Weisenwolf »

Geri wrote:Is there any invastigation or indication he might get ban or just people's reaction/opinion to the situation?
be amazed if he doesn't get a ban; he's not Jamie Vardy you know :lol:

Tall Paul
Dumbledore

Post by Tall Paul »

He almost is like the Jamie Vardy of this time last year (the time of his racial slurs that went unpunished) - his career path from non-league to Premier League has been pretty similar anyway.

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

Got to love a bit of faux outrage. Must have been so shocked that they couldn't bring themselves to complain for 4 years.....

Weisenwolf
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Weisenwolf »

murf wrote:Got to love a bit of faux outrage. Must have been so shocked that they couldn't bring themselves to complain for 4 years.....
No story in a Hinkley player, plenty in a Prem player

Tall Paul
Dumbledore

Post by Tall Paul »

murf wrote:Got to love a bit of faux outrage. Must have been so shocked that they couldn't bring themselves to complain for 4 years.....
Who is the they that you're referring to?

Geri
Red & Blue Braces

Post by Geri »

Wow didn't know the thing was getting serious. It was years ago.
Have to actually start considering a substitute .
Benteke going to CP fits the bill quiet nice but dries out all my money ITB.

Weisenwolf
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Weisenwolf »

Geri wrote:Wow didn't know the thing was getting serious. It was years ago.
Have to actually start considering a substitute .
Benteke going to CP fits the bill quiet nice but dries out all my money ITB.
He's facing a fairly serious charge from the FA; he's (allegedly) committed acts which are criminal and which he has essentially admitted and he's likely to be banned for a number of weeks.

I don't know how serious it is for him or Burnley but it has implications for FPL players certainly.

After his performance at the weekend he should be getting transferred in but as the story gains traction he's starting to go the other way. Not quickly so there is no panic but he may drop before the weekend, if he pleads guilty next week, which it would be hard for him not to do, more managers will become aware and when/if he is banned for a few games it'll be a mass exodus IMHO. Be a couple of weeks before any ban happens but if you have him keep an eye on developments I suggest.

Perhaps someone who knows Burnley better than I do has an insight into how Gray missing for a few weeks might affect the team from an FPL perspective; their could be opportunities....?
Last edited by Weisenwolf on 23 Aug 2016, 22:01, edited 2 times in total.

Tall Paul
Dumbledore

Post by Tall Paul »

I'm not sure he's likely to be banned.

Given how long ago the original tweets were made and his apology, I suspect (and hope) he may get away with a fine and some sort of rehabilitation course or something.

Weisenwolf
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Weisenwolf »

Tall Paul wrote:I'm not sure he's likely to be banned.

Given how long ago the original tweets were made and his apology, I suspect (and hope) he may get away with a fine and some sort of rehabilitation course or something.
He was an adult when he made those comments and a registered player, there is no statute of limitations on the FA rules, it is, by FA standards a serious offences and the subject matter makes it 'aggravated'. A 'rehabilitation' course would be pointless since he states he is no longer that man anyway and a fine is hardy appropriate for an 'aggravated' offence. He should and probably will get a ban. How can he get a lesser punishment than a player picking up a second yellow?

eastcentral1
Dumbledore

Post by eastcentral1 »

Now that he's been charged he's likely to be banned. Especially seeing as he has no defence. He will argue mitigating factors, such as the length of time since they were first posted, which will probably knock a few games off.

As above, if I had him I'd be thinking about saving a transfer to deal with it (and hoping he gets to play in the decent fixtures after this weekend). It's unfortunate for his owners that the one game he is definitely going to play is against Chelsea (although perhaps they can score on the break as against Liverpool).

Weisenwolf
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Weisenwolf »

There is another factor too; is he preoccupied with it? if he has genuinely moved on this is going to hurt! or is it? could be cathartic too; we just don't know.

Character test so to speak....

fantasyfaz
FISOhead
FS Record: Telegraph weekly Tinkerman winner Telegraph Cricket weekly winner, TFFO 3rd place 2009, TFFO manager of the month Sept 2008

Post by fantasyfaz »

More than likely a fine. No ban.

SuperGrover
Grumpy Old Man

Post by SuperGrover »

I don't see how he isn't banned multiple games. He posted a hashtag that encouraged burning people alive simply due to their sexual orientation. Rio got banned three games calling a fan's mom a slut. Barnes I'd suggesting genocide. Seriously. That's exactly what the hash tag said. If he isn't banned I expect a huge uproar.

Tall Paul
Dumbledore

Post by Tall Paul »

SuperGrover wrote:I don't see how he isn't banned multiple games. He posted a hashtag that encouraged burning people alive simply due to their sexual orientation. Rio got banned three games calling a fan's mom a slut. Barnes I'd suggesting genocide. Seriously. That's exactly what the hash tag said. If he isn't banned I expect a huge uproar.
Barnes?

We're going over old ground here, but you're writing like he did this yesterday. It was over 4 years ago. I completely agree that it was an horrendous thing to post, but he clearly doesn't hold those views now and a long ban would be over the top imo. It would be particularly unfair on the club who had nothing to do with Gray at the time of the tweets, although again I agree that they could and should have done more to delete them before they become public knowledge.

SuperGrover
Grumpy Old Man

Post by SuperGrover »

Obviously meant Gray.

Btw how do folks know he doesn't hold thise views now? What has he done to prove it? Given that he's shown those views before the burden of proof is that he has changed. I have seen nothing to suggest he has other than his statement when confronted by the media.

I say all this as a big Gray FPL proponent and current owner.

eastcentral1
Dumbledore

Post by eastcentral1 »

As has been mentioned on another thread, these tweets were in his twitter feed, which he actively uses, until a few days ago. It may be a mitigating factor that he first posted them years ago, but he was as good as publishing them to the world until last week. Players need to learn how twitter works. If it had been posted on his personal website 4 years ago, and not deleted, would people make the same point?

Tall Paul
Dumbledore

Post by Tall Paul »

SuperGrover wrote:Obviously meant Gray.

Btw how do folks know he doesn't hold thise views now? What has he done to prove it? Given that he's shown those views before the burden of proof is that he has changed. I have seen nothing to suggest he has other than his statement when confronted by the media.

I say all this as a big Gray FPL proponent and current owner.
It's well documented that he had a troubled early life, when he was involved in gang culture growing up. Since becoming a professional footballer, he's turned his life around. He's also had support from his teammates saying he's not homophobic now.
eastcentral1 wrote:As has been mentioned on another thread, these tweets were in his twitter feed, which he actively uses, until a few days ago. It may be a mitigating factor that he first posted them years ago, but he was as good as publishing them to the world until last week. Players need to learn how twitter works. If it had been posted on his personal website 4 years ago, and not deleted, would people make the same point?
And I've acknowledged that and agree with you. However, I still think there's a big difference between tweets that were originally posted a long time ago and those, like Rio Ferdinand's, which were made currently.

eastcentral1
Dumbledore

Post by eastcentral1 »

I agree that it makes a difference. Probably a big difference.

Huxley
Red & Blue Braces

Post by Huxley »

As I have zero ITB I may do Gray -> Stuani, depending on the length of any potential ban. If it is short enough hopefully I can ride any price rises/falls and buy him back for a profit before people realise Stuani isn't getting much game time.

The other option is Mahrez -> Someone and Gray -> Negredo, but my stubbornness that Gray is still a good pick makes me hesitate.

SuperGrover
Grumpy Old Man

Post by SuperGrover »

Tall Paul wrote:It's well documented that he had a troubled early life, when he was involved in gang culture growing up. Since becoming a professional footballer, he's turned his life around. He's also had support from his teammates saying he's not homophobic now.
If the evidence is that his friends say he's not then I'm not buying it. Friends are often loyal and homophobia is rampant in professional athletics so it is highly unlikely anyone would call him out on it even if he were still homophobic. If this is evidence he's changed and that should be a mitigating factor then I'm not buying it.

I understand he had a hard life growing up, but publicly pushing for genocide (which burn them all most certainly means) as a 21 year old is abhorrent. He should have been punished then (although it's unlikely anyone noticed given where he was playing at the time). He will most certainly be punished now. My guess is 3-5 games with potential forced service in the LGBT community through either fines or charitable work.

If he were a minor when tweeting those comments I might understand. He wasn't close. He was 21, old enough to vote, drink, fight in the military, and be given capital punishment in the States. You don't get a pass at that age. You're an adult and you have to be prepared to suffer the consequences.

Football Hero
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Football Hero »

SuperGrover wrote:
Tall Paul wrote:It's well documented that he had a troubled early life, when he was involved in gang culture growing up. Since becoming a professional footballer, he's turned his life around. He's also had support from his teammates saying he's not homophobic now.
If the evidence is that his friends say he's not then I'm not buying it. Friends are often loyal and homophobia is rampant in professional athletics so it is highly unlikely anyone would call him out on it even if he were still homophobic. If this is evidence he's changed and that should be a mitigating factor then I'm not buying it.

I understand he had a hard life growing up, but publicly pushing for genocide (which burn them all most certainly means) as a 21 year old is abhorrent. He should have been punished then (although it's unlikely anyone noticed given where he was playing at the time). He will most certainly be punished now. My guess is 3-5 games with potential forced service in the LGBT community through either fines or charitable work.

If he were a minor when tweeting those comments I might understand. He wasn't close. He was 21, old enough to vote, drink, fight in the military, and be given capital punishment in the States. You don't get a pass at that age. You're an adult and you have to be prepared to suffer the consequences.
Yeah, I agree. Hopefully he gets a long overdue punishment for those comments.

tommyk7
Grumpy Old Man

Post by tommyk7 »

If Gray gets banned for TWEETS he made FOUR years ago it will absolutey be the stupidest thing I've ever heard of regarding professional sports.

Football Hero
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Football Hero »

tommyk7 wrote:If Gray gets banned for TWEETS he made FOUR years ago it will absolutey be the stupidest thing I've ever heard of regarding professional sports.
You're an Andre Gray owner I'm guessing.

posouth
Cheetah
FS Record: good....

Post by posouth »

Why now? Why not four years ago? (when I did not buy him, that is!)

sibrown4
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: TFC Lions 2nd in League of Leagues Triumph. Draft FPL/TFF Combo League Winner 2018-19

Post by sibrown4 »

I'm taking him out now - feeling is that the FA will have no option but to apply a ban even though I'm not sure it would be the right thing to do. Probably using a very early Wild Card to tidy up the team and replace him with Negredo. The Boro striker is not for the long term though but see him through to the fixtures Boro will face at the beginning of October.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Fantasy PremierLeague.com (FPL)”