To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Too Early to WC?

A Fantasy Football forum for news on fantasy football games run by the Premierleague (FPL).
Huge Lion
Treebeard

Too Early to WC?

Post by Huge Lion »

So after all the planning, the first 2 GWs didn't go that well (40 & 55 respectively).

Went for Rooney ahead of Ibra and captained Vardy ahead of Aguero both weeks. :oops:

Anyway, looking to chase value now and considering playing my WC to bring in some of the players with the most transfers in this GW. Here's what I'm thinking of;

Valdés :arrow: Foster
Baines :arrow: Love
Bolasie :arrow: Bojan
Sigurdsson :arrow: Pogba
Costa (who replaced Vardy at the final whistle yesterday) :arrow: Negredo
Rooney :arrow: Ibrahimovic
Wilson :arrow: Holgate
Smith :arrow: Amat
Højbjerg :arrow: Capoue

Keeping Aguero, Jakupovic, Stones, Shaw, Hazard and Barkley.

Am I mad to WC so early and should I wait until the GW4 break?

Or is the strategy just plain unsound?

Rich2086
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: 09/10--2235--49,014

Re: Too Early to WC?

Post by Rich2086 »

Personally as tempting as it might be id hold off until next week. You've got 3 games then and a break to take stock and assess your situation and how players are playing. You'll only wish you'd kept it until next week and Holgate, Amat, Love, Capoue how long term are those likely to keep contributing? Not many more weeks i would have thought

Ironfist
FISO Knight
FS Record: FPL 09/10 - 1824th

Post by Ironfist »

Huge Lion wrote:So after all the planning, ...
Anyway, looking to chase value now and considering playing my WC to bring in some of the players with the most transfers in this GW.
It's a Huge Turnip if you ask me! :mrgreen:

Gambit
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Gambit »

Huge Lion wrote:So after all the planning, the first 2 GWs didn't go that well (40 & 55 respectively).

Went for Rooney ahead of Ibra and captained Vardy ahead of Aguero both weeks. :oops:

Anyway, looking to chase value now and considering playing my WC to bring in some of the players with the most transfers in this GW. Here's what I'm thinking of;

I wouldn't make those changes, why would you get rid of Bolasie and Baines with the great fixtures Everton have got coming up?

Sunderland and Stoke have looked dreadful so I'd avoid Love and Bojan.

by all means play your WC but as others have said, around half your in transfers look dodgy, no offence. How many points do you think Love, Bojan, Holgate, Amat and Capoue will get you long term?

Bertie64
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: 28640....

Post by Bertie64 »

Gambit wrote:
Huge Lion wrote:So after all the planning, the first 2 GWs didn't go that well (40 & 55 respectively).

I wouldn't make those changes, why would you get rid of Bolasie and Baines with the great fixtures Everton have got coming up?

Sunderland and Stoke have looked dreadful so I'd avoid Love and Bojan.

by all means play your WC but as others have said, around half your in transfers look dodgy, no offence. How many points do you think Love, Bojan, Holgate, Amat and Capoue will get you long term?
I would add Swansea to that list too. Amat is an enabler but I can't see when you would ever want to play him, even assuming he keeps a place in their starting XI.

The only change that makes any sense in the entire list to me is Rooney. Pretty questionable pick in the first place.
You can definitely fix it with a -4. If you must do three it's only -8. You can make that back by keeping the wildcard and using a bit more GWdata to decide your changes longer term.

I actually though the entire post was a windup at first... A lot of the players you are getting rid of are on many peoples watch lists at least.

ZeroRemorse
Grumpy Old Man

Post by ZeroRemorse »

I popped mine early as I could this week to get in before price rises and this is what it's looking like so far, done a few drafts, no doubt will change through the week a bit more. Shaw Valencia in particular, but I think Valencia looks more dangerous, but monitoring Shaws price rise, might take both of them.

Bertie64
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Bertie64 »

ZeroRemorse wrote:I popped mine early as I could this week to get in before price rises and this is what it's looking like so far, done a few drafts, no doubt will change through the week a bit more. Shaw Valencia in particular, but I think Valencia looks more dangerous, but monitoring Shaws price rise, might take both of them.

Is that your budget blown? If you could upgrade Collins to Stones I think it would pay off. I know everyone's down on him but they concede to a penalty that simply does not exist 90% of the time last week and in my humble opinion the points difference between them will be more that 0.5m would suggest.

If it were me, and there's nothing in the bank, I would be looking at Redmond. I'm totally unconvinced by SOU this season so I may be out of kilter with a lot of folks here. Personally I think they struggle to make top 12 and I think there are better cheaper options. Then again I would probably downgrade Walker and use the cash to upgrade.

Just my opinion. Not everyone will agree.

OIEIAO
FISOhead

Post by OIEIAO »

Bertie64 wrote: I actually though the entire post was a windup at first... A lot of the players you are getting rid of are on many peoples watch lists at least.
A bit harsh! You can always shoot for value and bring the players you really want back in before the wildcard.

Nevertheless, I would not recommend this week. Why?

You can take advantage of 14 days price movements by waiting until the international break.

It's already Sunday so you have lost the crucial first day's price movements - if you haven't read the CTC guide this is useful but lots of players rise on a Saturday (or Friday as this was when the GW deadline was). Start this sort of plan right after the deadline and then you can load up on players that are due to rise at the first opportunity. I made this mistake 2 years ago and only got 0.1 from several players even doing it in a two week window.

I'm not a massive fan of an early wildcard anyway but you will find plenty of support for a pre-GW4 wildcard around here.

Bertie64
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Bertie64 »

OIEIAO wrote:
Bertie64 wrote: I actually though the entire post was a windup at first... A lot of the players you are getting rid of are on many peoples watch lists at least.
A bit harsh! You can always shoot for value and bring the players you really want back in before the wildcard.

Nevertheless, I would not recommend this week. Why?

You can take advantage of 14 days price movements by waiting until the international break.

It's already Sunday so you have lost the crucial first day's price movements - if you haven't read the CTC guide this is useful but lots of players rise on a Saturday (or Friday as this was when the GW deadline was). Start this sort of plan right after the deadline and then you can load up on players that are due to rise at the first opportunity. I made this mistake 2 years ago and only got 0.1 from several players even doing it in a two week window.

I'm not a massive fan of an early wildcard anyway but you will find plenty of support for a pre-GW4 wildcard around here.
I'm not sure what you are saying. Did I misread this post and he is asking if we think he can make money on theses choices then pick a better XV? I think these are the players he wants to end up with and I think that many of the players the poster is selling are better choices. I really did think it was a wind up....

Sorry if I sounded harsh, but it's a bad call in my opinion.

You appear to assume something different about the nature of the original post. However I also think the chances of making a short term profit on any of these picks is about zero. It's just not a good set of picks. It's not helping the original poster by pretending otherwise. Obviously all this is IN MY OPINION only.
Last edited by Bertie64 on 21 Aug 2016, 20:08, edited 1 time in total.

ZeroRemorse
Grumpy Old Man

Post by ZeroRemorse »

Bertie64 wrote:
ZeroRemorse wrote:I popped mine early as I could this week to get in before price rises and this is what it's looking like so far, done a few drafts, no doubt will change through the week a bit more. Shaw Valencia in particular, but I think Valencia looks more dangerous, but monitoring Shaws price rise, might take both of them.

Is that your budget blown? If you could upgrade Collins to Stones I think it would pay off. I know everyone's down on him but they concede to a penalty that simply does not exist 90% of the time last week and in my humble opinion the points difference between them will be more that 0.5m would suggest.

If it were me, and there's nothing in the bank, I would be looking at Redmond. I'm totally unconvinced by SOU this season so I may be out of kilter with a lot of folks here. Personally I think they struggle to make top 12 and I think there are better cheaper options. Then again I would probably downgrade Walker and use the cash to upgrade.

Just my opinion. Not everyone will agree.
It is sadly, I only have 0.1m left. I really want to keep Stones as well. I've been tinkering around to find space for him and even considering just dropping Williams, which might be the best option. I'm considering a 6.5/6m downgrade for Lamela as well, but quite like Spurs upcoming fixtures and I'm sure he will pick up a goal or assist. Any suggestions where I could free up that extra cash? Benteke is nailed for me.

Bojan and Shaq call out to me some what.

The other option is jsut being patient and waiting for Evertons fixtures to hit a rough spot and flick Williams for Stones, which is the long term goal.
Last edited by ZeroRemorse on 21 Aug 2016, 20:08, edited 1 time in total.

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

Early WC'ing (and mine went last GW) is more about getting rid of players than getting them in, as that can normally be done through Free Transfers. But also making the Squad as safe as possible, and something to build from.

Without going through the whole list: having Holgate, Amat and Love at the back is very risky, imho, without cash to upgrade Holgate to someone sensible when Coleman is fit and Ronald finishes buying CB's; and I'm far from convinced about Pogba - there is a thread about him here.

Good Luck, but not as much as I get :D

Weisenwolf
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: 2,234 points; back when this was considered a good score....

Post by Weisenwolf »

blahblah wrote:Early WC'ing (and mine went last GW) is more about getting rid of players than getting them in, as that can normally be done through Free Transfers. But also making the Squad as safe as possible, and something to build from.

Without going through the whole list: having Holgate, Amat and Love at the back is very risky, imho, without cash to upgrade Holgate to someone sensible when Coleman is fit and Ronald finishes buying CB's; and I'm far from convinced about Pogba - there is a thread about him here.

Good Luck, but not as much as I get :D
Played mine already too and agree that Pogba is a bad buy.

Owsler
Dumbledore

Post by Owsler »

Thinking I'm going to have to WC this week. Mane and Capoue now injured and doing 3 transfers (already shifted Vardy for Ibra) just to wildcard a week later doesn't feel good.

Gambit
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Gambit »

Owsler wrote:Thinking I'm going to have to WC this week. Mane and Capoue now injured and doing 3 transfers (already shifted Vardy for Ibra) just to wildcard a week later doesn't feel good.
could you not put your WC back if you are generally happy with your squad (after your transfers)? and save it for if you really need it further down the line

Owsler
Dumbledore

Post by Owsler »

I could. One more transfer (shifting Mane is the likely one) would just be a -4 hit. I suppose when you start taking hits you look at the other places you'd make transfers and then suddenly you're at a WC level.

Weisenwolf
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Weisenwolf »

I suggest you play with the transfers on the site and see what the best you can come up with is, add up the transfers required and then decide whether you could live with the FT and one or two hits (always less damaging early season than later) or whether you can ride it as is using just the FT or whether a WC is really what's necessary.
Last edited by Weisenwolf on 22 Aug 2016, 18:14, edited 1 time in total.

Gambit
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Gambit »

Owsler wrote:I could. One more transfer (shifting Mane is the likely one) would just be a -4 hit. I suppose when you start taking hits you look at the other places you'd make transfers and then suddenly you're at a WC level.
yeah I know what you mean, it's just that I see some players who WC early because that's what they do every year, but if you are happy with your squad and already have key players - Aguero, Ibra, United defender etc, would it really hurt to not WC early?

everyone is different but for me I would much rather take a -4/-8 and maybe even a -12 than play my WC.

with the transfer window still open and the CL (and rotation) yet to start what looks like a template squad now might be completely different by GW10 etc.

it's entirely up to you but don't waste it if you are happy with your squad.

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

How long is Mane likely to be out for?

Owsler
Dumbledore

Post by Owsler »

@Gambit I agree. I lost a decent lead early last season because I started doing wild transfers to keep things interesting. Naturally it had a disastrous effect.

@blahblah Not sure. I noticed Mane had posted an Instagram showing no strapping or anything to suggest the injury was bad. But has there been any news about Feghouli? Managers seem to be really cagey at the moment.

SuperGrover
Grumpy Old Man

Post by SuperGrover »

Bertie64 wrote: I know everyone's down on him but they concede to a penalty that simply does not exist 90% of the time last week
I think you are being too kind. That is the weakest holding penalty I've ever seen. Anyone really think Sterling could keep Shawcross from moving if he really wanted to/ Yeah he grabbed his jersey, but Shawcross wasn't fighting it. That penalty was ridiculous.

sjaugen
Treebeard

Post by sjaugen »

blahblah wrote:How long is Mane likely to be out for?
Should be ready for the weekend. Klopp had a presser yesterday

Owsler
Dumbledore

Post by Owsler »

Yeah, noticed he's back at training. Good news.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Ho hum Nolito or Mane this GW?

Weisenwolf
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Weisenwolf »

Owsler wrote:Thinking I'm going to have to WC this week. Mane and Capoue now injured and doing 3 transfers (already shifted Vardy for Ibra) just to wildcard a week later doesn't feel good.
Capoue is only a bit injured

Resonare
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Resonare »

Holding off on mine until the hype on some players settle and others begin to pick up form.

The Username
Grumpy Old Man

Post by The Username »

Thinking an early wildcard may not be the best use this year.

May hold of until later in this half of the season.

Roope
Red & Blue Braces

Post by Roope »

The Username wrote:Thinking an early wildcard may not be the best use this year.

Same here, I think. I'm 75% happy with my squad as it is and can't think of anything one or two transfers wont fix.

I'll see what it looks like after next GW but as things stand I might save the WC for an injury crisis.

Weisenwolf
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Weisenwolf »

blahblah wrote:Ho hum Nolito or Mane this GW?
Decisions, decisions.................

Weisenwolf
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Weisenwolf »

Roope wrote:
The Username wrote:Thinking an early wildcard may not be the best use this year.

Same here, I think. I'm 75% happy with my squad as it is and can't think of anything one or two transfers wont fix.

I'll see what it looks like after next GW but as things stand I might save the WC for an injury crisis.
Yea don't fix what isn't broke :lol:

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Fantasy PremierLeague.com (FPL)”