To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Who should I keep… Valencia or Shaw?

A Fantasy Football forum for news on fantasy football games run by the Premierleague (FPL).

Who is the better FPL defender?

Antonio Valencia
71%
Luke Shaw
29%

Total votes: 77

fergusg
Treebeard

Who should I keep… Valencia or Shaw?

Post by fergusg »

I would like to jump on the Paul Pogba bandwagon, which means that I need to swap him for one of the three Man United players that are already in my squad, namely:
• Antonio Valencia
• Luke Shaw
• Zlatan Ibrahimovic

I have two free transfers to use and £1m in the bank.

Assuming that it’s a no-brainer to retain the services of Ibrahimovic, I’d need to dispose of Valencia or Shaw and replace one of them with a £4.5m defender... whilst also replacing Deulofeu with Pogba.

Therefore, my question is this… who’s the better Man United defender, Valencia or Shaw? Who would you keep if you were in my situation?

I need to make this decision very quickly, due to the imminent price rise to Pogba.

FYI – Here’s my squad for your perusal:
GW2.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Re: Who should I keep… Valencia or Shaw?

Post by blahblah »

I'm not sure Pogba is worth losing one of them. I thing that the three you have could prove to be must-haves this season.

Razorback
FISO Knight
FS Record: 8th overall TFF 06/07, TFF25s & FISO Super League Champion 06/07, FISO Euro 2008 Predictions League Champion, 2nd overall Sky FF 08/09, 263rd overall FPL 08/09, Block Party Super League Champion 10/11 & 44th overall TFF 11/12

Post by Razorback »

I've been thinking about this myself & as things stand it's 50/50 between the two.

Shaw feels like the safer choice though...

gallus
Grumpy Old Man

Post by gallus »

blahblah wrote:I'm not sure Pogba is worth losing one of them. I thing that the three you have could prove to be must-haves this season.
this, they are both better picks than Pogba.

Gambit
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Gambit »

as good as Pogba is, there is every chance they will both outscore him.

How many clean sheets do you think United will get this year? didn't they get 15 last year, or was it 18? Will Pogba get enough goals/assists to match the clean sheets, taking into account that both Shaw and Valencia will pick up a few assists and maybe the odd goal.

I would keep both and ignore Pogba, but if you are dead set to get rid of one then it's a toss of a coin - both first choice, both bombing forward.

maybe Shaw is the safer pick but over the course of the season I would fancy Valencia to edge the assists/goals, although Shaw has the advantage of playing on the same side as Martial.

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

Apologies for the woeful typing, above.

The point is that there will be Mids who score similar\more points than Pogba, and some will be cheaper; but few Defs are going to get anywhere near Valencia and Shaw: they are part of probably the highest scoring defence and they are integral to their attacks....

Razorback
FISO Knight
FS Record: 8th overall TFF 06/07, TFF25s & FISO Super League Champion 06/07, FISO Euro 2008 Predictions League Champion, 2nd overall Sky FF 08/09, 263rd overall FPL 08/09, Block Party Super League Champion 10/11 & 44th overall TFF 11/12

Post by Razorback »

One of Pogba, Mkhitaryan or Martial could become essential picks this season, if that happens then the OP's question is very relevant (assuming Ibrah holds on to his must have status :wink: )...

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

I have enough to ponder in the here and now :?

My point is that you have to consider Shaw\Valencia & Midblob vs One of the above & Defblob. I don't see Defblob getting anywhere near them, and plenty of Midblobs getting near the three above.

If Jose changes things around\about and bans Shaw and Valencia from attacking then that could well change, but until then they are definitely a hold, imho. It won't be long before they are close to 6m, and then too expensive to get back in?

Razorback
FISO Knight

Post by Razorback »

A bit of forward planning is good thing :wink: .

The Libero
Wideboy

Post by The Libero »

Gambit wrote:as good as Pogba is, there is every chance they will both outscore him.

How many clean sheets do you think United will get this year? didn't they get 15 last year, or was it 18? Will Pogba get enough goals/assists to match the clean sheets, taking into account that both Shaw and Valencia will pick up a few assists and maybe the odd goal.

I would keep both and ignore Pogba, but if you are dead set to get rid of one then it's a toss of a coin - both first choice, both bombing forward.

maybe Shaw is the safer pick but over the course of the season I would fancy Valencia to edge the assists/goals, although Shaw has the advantage of playing on the same side as Martial.
Pogba got 8 goals and 12 assists last year in Serie A; the year before he got 8 and 3 and the year before he got 7 and 7. Those aren't bad records if he replicates them over here, and given his reputation as the most expensive player I wouldn't be surprised if there's a bandwagon if say in the next few weeks he has a game where he scores a couple and assists a couple. We saw this happen last year with De Bruyne where people held off him at first then there was a clamour to get him in.

But I agree that in terms of value for money Shaw and Valencia at 5.5 look much better and at Pogba's price point you could look at Eriksen, Alli or Firmino or for cheaper, Coutinho, Tadic who might not be too far behind Pogba. I guess the gamble on Pogba is based on the idea United could storm away to the league with Pogba the driving force which will separate him from his competitors...but at the moment with United I think their defenders are premiums but priced at 5.5 so I would say the best United option are two defenders or De Gea plus Zlatan.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

But not actually selling one of them now?

WE can worry about about:
Who to bring in for Kun when he breaks?
Which of the (non MU, lol) top end mids are going to be the one(s) to get?
Coleman (when fit) vs Baines?
Who fills the 3rd Forward spot? I'm on a watching brief here, and is probably my main issue.
Should I "design" a kit for them?

Owsler
Dumbledore

Post by Owsler »

Shaw was lucky to get the penalty points. Valencia looks like he'll get attacking points very soon. Valencia for me.

cesc408
Grumpy Old Man

Post by cesc408 »

Hull next. Worth keeping both for now

HungryHungrySuarez
Red & Blue Braces

Post by HungryHungrySuarez »

is valencia 100% safe when darmain is back?

wizardoffire
Dumbledore
FS Record: 2013/2014 FISO Hotshots league

Post by wizardoffire »

I think Valencia is above Darmian in the pecking order, get the impression that Jose doesnt like Darmian

ZeroRemorse
Grumpy Old Man

Post by ZeroRemorse »

blahblah wrote:But not actually selling one of them now?

WE can worry about about:
Who to bring in for Kun when he breaks?
Which of the (non MU, lol) top end mids are going to be the one(s) to get?
Coleman (when fit) vs Baines?
Who fills the 3rd Forward spot? I'm on a watching brief here, and is probably my main issue.
Should I "design" a kit for them?
Using the EPL stats site, I looked through all the 3rd slot forwards and Benteke clearly stands out with the highest goals per match. 0.43 above Lukaku, Giroud and Negredo. Albeit Gray hasn't had enough time in the EPL to get a good read on him yet. But Benteke is hard to ignore and I've picked him up as my 3rd choice.

CarlosTheFinger
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: William Hill Chiswick branch Euro 2008 league winner

Post by CarlosTheFinger »

I chose Shaw over Valencia because of Darmian. Shaw doesn't seem to have any real competition. Cue Ashley Young appearing at left-back against Hull.

fred1266
Dumbledore
FS Record: EFCL Fantasy League & Jurassic League Winner 11/12, EFCL Fantasy League Winner 13/14. EFCL, FISO 5AS The Kangals, Jurassic League, 3DM PRINTERS TT & Trini Gunners Winner 14/15

Post by fred1266 »

CarlosTheFinger wrote:I chose Shaw over Valencia because of Darmian. Shaw doesn't seem to have any real competition. Cue Ashley Young appearing at left-back against Hull.
Rojo

CarlosTheFinger
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: William Hill Chiswick branch Euro 2008 league winner

Post by CarlosTheFinger »

fred1266 wrote:
CarlosTheFinger wrote:I chose Shaw over Valencia because of Darmian. Shaw doesn't seem to have any real competition. Cue Ashley Young appearing at left-back against Hull.
Rojo
Oh yeah. Forgot about him. Hopefully Jose does too.

SuperGrover
Grumpy Old Man

Post by SuperGrover »

HungryHungrySuarez wrote:is valencia 100% safe when darmain is back?
Darmian is healthy and available. Rojo is too. Both are rumored on their way out. Don't see anyone replacing either Shaw or Valencia unless there are injuries.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Ditto, they are the only players who provide genuine width, imho.

Resonare
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Resonare »

Went with Shaw because he's the only one who provides width and crosses on the left-side as United have no left-footed wingers and Mata looked to be on his way out.

n92DJ20js!jx
Wideboy

Post by n92DJ20js!jx »

Imo Valencia, better attacking potential and hopefully not a rotation risk.

breakfastbutty
Kevin and Perry

Post by breakfastbutty »

Picked Valencia, but not without a twinge of regret (especially as Shaw has done better with the points haul so far)

Weisenwolf
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: 2,234 points; back when this was considered a good score....

Post by Weisenwolf »

I chose Valencia

HungryHungrySuarez
Red & Blue Braces

Post by HungryHungrySuarez »

much of a muchness i think, although Shaw's 'assist' (i.e. being kicked) has boosted him to a likely price rise this week. Something to bear in mind, given that if he does well again at the weekend he could go up another .1 which would be a free earner for you if you then still wanted to jump to valencia.

Weisenwolf
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: 2,234 points; back when this was considered a good score....

Post by Weisenwolf »

HungryHungrySuarez wrote:much of a muchness i think, although Shaw's 'assist' (i.e. being kicked) has boosted him to a likely price rise this week. Something to bear in mind, given that if he does well again at the weekend he could go up another .1 which would be a free earner for you if you then still wanted to jump to valencia.
If United keep another clean sheet Valencia may be purchased above Shaw as he will be cheaper and he could rise too next week.

Joccki_10
Grumpy Old Joker
FS Record: 16/17: 55 OR, 1 FISO Forum, 1 NLD and FISO Cup Winner

Post by Joccki_10 »

Shaw injured "yellow flagged" again? What's going on there...

Gambit
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Gambit »

he's been playing with an injury apparently (groin strain), due to have a scan this week.

Joccki_10
Grumpy Old Joker
FS Record: 16/17: 55 OR, 1 FISO Forum, 1 NLD and FISO Cup Winner

Post by Joccki_10 »

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/luke-shaw-henr ... rn-1583204

So apparently Shaw isn't injured, but not 100% match fit...

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Fantasy PremierLeague.com (FPL)”