To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

GW2 Captain - Who gets the armband?

A Fantasy Football forum for news on fantasy football games run by the Premierleague (FPL).

Who will be your captain?

Aguero
56%
De Bruyne
No votes
Sterling
No votes
Ibrahimovic
14%
Rooney
1%
Martial
1%
Kane
7%
Eriksen
No votes
Costa
1%
Hazard
8%
Firmino
3%
Coutinho
2%
Mane
2%
Sanchez
1%
Walcott
No votes
Vardy
4%
Mahrez
0%
Other
2%

Total votes: 256

swadd1er
Dumbledore

Re: GW2 Captain - Who gets the armband?

Post by swadd1er »

swadd1er wrote:Aguero with a double so far tonight, could've had 4 if he stuck those penalties away. City full of confidence, Aguero (c) for me.
Make that a hat-trick. Could've had 5..

cesc408
Grumpy Old Man

Post by cesc408 »

Just remember if your watching the game you will have noticed just how awful this team is. We saw city struggle at times to break down Sunderland last Weekend. Away to Stoke could be tougher.

Even still Aguero is on form and seems a decent choice.

flaviooooo
Wideboy

Post by flaviooooo »

No fear of Aguero getting some rest this weekend? He played 90' tonight

Gambit
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Gambit »

cesc408 wrote:Just remember if your watching the game you will have noticed just how awful this team is. We saw city struggle at times to break down Sunderland last Weekend. Away to Stoke could be tougher.

agreed, Aguero is always a good choice but I don't place much weight on the hat trick tonight, pub team defending, they didn't overrun Sunderland so easily and Stoke could prove just as tricky.

Gravelaine
Kevin and Perry

Post by Gravelaine »

Gambit wrote:
cesc408 wrote:Just remember if your watching the game you will have noticed just how awful this team is. We saw city struggle at times to break down Sunderland last Weekend. Away to Stoke could be tougher.

agreed, Aguero is always a good choice but I don't place much weight on the hat trick tonight, pub team defending, they didn't overrun Sunderland so easily and Stoke could prove just as tricky.

And you have to wonder if he will start now.

Gambit
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Gambit »

I think he'll start, and I always think he can score, it's just a question of whether I think he will be my highest scoring player this week. And at the moment I still think it will be Hazard.

Pirlo's Beard
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Pirlo's Beard »

I feel like this is a week where one of the non-template (Agüero/Ibrahimović type) picks could score big. Agüero and Ibrahimović themselves are good shouts, although I think they both have reasonably tough opponents this week in Stoke and Southampton. I'm certainly not swayed by Agüero's hat-trick tonight into thinking he's the outright best pick. Steaua were terrible, especially in the second half when they gave Agüero and City the freedom of the pitch. This week I'm finding it hard to look past two of my midfield players.

Alli tops the FFS projections for midfielders this week, and yet there's something that's putting me off Spurs a bit. Or rather, a lot of little things that are putting me off them. They were unimpressive for long spells against Everton, although they did finish the game strongly. Possible hangover from the end of last season? Pochettino did allude to it after the game. They're still without Dembélé, and are a much less fluid side without him. Also, the introduction of Janssen has me worried about how it might potentially affect Alli's scoring chances. I think Alli is a good captain pick, but I have enough doubts about Spurs at the minute to cause me to look elsewhere.

Liverpool have started like a train. They look hungry and full of goals. Although I don't expect Burnley to be pushovers, I think Liverpool will have too much firepower for them. Mané showed enough last weekend with his good performance and fantastic goal to earn the armband. Many on here have expressed the difficulty of guessing which Liverpool midfielder will score well in a given week. Hopefully this week it's Mané's turn to be the star.

Mané (C)
Alli (V)

Droughton
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: FPL 11/12 - 292

Post by Droughton »

Coutinho (C)
Hazard (V)

Mo Bot
Dumbledore
FS Record: Inaugural Last Man Standing. FISO Fantasy Eurovision champ 2012. World #1 in UFPL for a whole week

Post by Mo Bot »

I wouldn't put too much emphasis on the hat trick tonight but the result means he doesn't have to be rested before the second leg. Oh yes, it's also further proof he's in fine form apart from the penalty spot.
Aguero (C)
Hazard (VC)

Broadsword
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: A work in progress, probably good for >2,000 pts

Post by Broadsword »

Martial

Brad
Treebeard

Post by Brad »

Shareef Babu wrote:
RedDevilRyan wrote:
Shareef Babu wrote:
RedDevilRyan wrote:Aguero just missed a penalty against steaua bucuresti.
Aguero has just missed another penalty against steaua bucuresti.
Will this force pep to take Aguero off penalty duty?
Its two now
I edited my post.

:D :D
Pep seemed nonplussed about it in his post match comments - 'a penalty is a penalty' and a shrug when asked about it, then quickly pointed out that Aguero followed it up with a hat trick and that he was impressed that he didn't sulk but got on with it. I'd think it'd make sense to keep Aguero as penalty taker until he scores again. Pulling him off after missing two in a row could really harm his confidence - not something a manager of Pep's level would be likely to do surely?

redchemist
Grumpy Old Man

Post by redchemist »

Sparky's Stoke will be another matter entirely. And I dont like early kick off captains.

Jamie Vardy and Leics will bounce back with a reckoning this week at the King Power against a poor Arsenal. They foolishly underestimated Hull and I think leasons will be learned.

Vardy (c)
Ibra (vc)

zerinot
Red & Blue Braces

Post by zerinot »

put Kane in from the start planning to captain him this week, but didn't look that impressive gw 1 so might change my mind.

Resonare
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Resonare »

Hazard (c)
Firmino (vc)

ALAN1289
Treebeard

Post by ALAN1289 »

on ibra at the moment.seriously thinking about mane tho.

Curwinkle
FISOhead

Post by Curwinkle »

Toying between Payet and Hazard. I don't like early fixture captaincies, even if it is Aguero.

Owsler
Dumbledore

Post by Owsler »

ALAN1289 wrote:on ibra at the moment.seriously thinking about mane tho.
Nice differential. Still early to recover if the usual suspects do better.

JLH
FISOhead

Post by JLH »

Pirlo's Beard wrote:I feel like this is a week where one of the non-template (Agüero/Ibrahimović type) picks could score big. Agüero and Ibrahimović themselves are good shouts, although I think they both have reasonably tough opponents this week in Stoke and Southampton. I'm certainly not swayed by Agüero's hat-trick tonight into thinking he's the outright best pick. Steaua were terrible, especially in the second half when they gave Agüero and City the freedom of the pitch. This week I'm finding it hard to look past two of my midfield players.

Alli tops the FFS projections for midfielders this week, and yet there's something that's putting me off Spurs a bit. Or rather, a lot of little things that are putting me off them. They were unimpressive for long spells against Everton, although they did finish the game strongly. Possible hangover from the end of last season? Pochettino did allude to it after the game. They're still without Dembélé, and are a much less fluid side without him. Also, the introduction of Janssen has me worried about how it might potentially affect Alli's scoring chances. I think Alli is a good captain pick, but I have enough doubts about Spurs at the minute to cause me to look elsewhere.

Liverpool have started like a train. They look hungry and full of goals. Although I don't expect Burnley to be pushovers, I think Liverpool will have too much firepower for them. Mané showed enough last weekend with his good performance and fantastic goal to earn the armband. Many on here have expressed the difficulty of guessing which Liverpool midfielder will score well in a given week. Hopefully this week it's Mané's turn to be the star.

Mané (C)
Alli (V)
Why are you always so convincing? I don't have Mané yet but very tempted by Mahrez :arrow: Mané.

CupidStunt000
FISOhead

Post by CupidStunt000 »

Curwinkle wrote:Toying between Payet and Hazard. I don't like early fixture captaincies, even if it is Aguero.
Why not?

Aguero (C)
Hazard (VC)

Bergkamp_22
FISOhead
FS Record: 2,263 points

Post by Bergkamp_22 »

Pirlo's Beard wrote:I feel like this is a week where one of the non-template (Agüero/Ibrahimović type) picks could score big. Agüero and Ibrahimović themselves are good shouts, although I think they both have reasonably tough opponents this week in Stoke and Southampton. I'm certainly not swayed by Agüero's hat-trick tonight into thinking he's the outright best pick. Steaua were terrible, especially in the second half when they gave Agüero and City the freedom of the pitch. This week I'm finding it hard to look past two of my midfield players.

Mané (C)
Alli (V)
I wish FPL rewarded thinking like this, but i learnt the hard way that doing the boring most popular captain pick is generally the way to go rather than risking it. So i admire your bravery :lol:
I totally think the same way though, and the least i'd like to do is bring in a 2nd Liverpool mid just for now, as they have started on fire for sure. I'll see, but i feel i might be rolling over my transfer as it's early, probably seeing a demolition of Burnley in the process :(

Aguero (c) Ibra (vc) sigh.

Pirlo's Beard
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Pirlo's Beard »

JLH wrote:Why are you always so convincing?
Jedi mind control. :wink:
Bergkamp_22 wrote:I wish FPL rewarded thinking like this, but i learnt the hard way that doing the boring most popular captain pick is generally the way to go rather than risking it. So i admire your bravery :lol:
Of course you're right, it's generally best to play it safe. FPL does sometimes reward the braver move though, the key is picking your moments. I'm forever reminded of a GW about halfway through last season when Lukaku was the popular captain pick at home to Palace. All week I had a good feeling for Mahrez away to Swansea but I played safe in the end and captained Lukaku. He did fine - a goal and 8 points. Mahrez absolutely smashed it with a hat-trick and 21 points. The regret was huge.

That wasn't the only occasion either. There were other times when, if I'd been a bit bolder, I would have ended up with more points. Boldness can be rewarded, the key as I say is picking the right moments. I've resolved to be a bit bolder this season whenever I see an enticing captain pick that I think could trump the favourite.

I have a good feeling for Mané this weekend. Hopefully my boldness will be rewarded.

Bergkamp_22
FISOhead
FS Record: 2,263 points

Post by Bergkamp_22 »

Pirlo's Beard wrote:
Bergkamp_22 wrote:I wish FPL rewarded thinking like this, but i learnt the hard way that doing the boring most popular captain pick is generally the way to go rather than risking it. So i admire your bravery :lol:
Of course you're right, it's generally best to play it safe. FPL does sometimes reward the braver move though, the key is picking your moments. I'm forever reminded of a GW about halfway through last season when Lukaku was the popular captain pick at home to Palace. All week I had a good feeling for Mahrez away to Swansea but I played safe in the end and captained Lukaku. He did fine - a goal and 8 points. Mahrez absolutely smashed it with a hat-trick and 21 points. The regret was huge.

That wasn't the only occasion either. There were other times when, if I'd been a bit bolder, I would have ended up with more points. Boldness can be rewarded, the key as I say is picking the right moments. I've resolved to be a bit bolder this season whenever I see an enticing captain pick that I think could trump the favourite.

I have a good feeling for Mané this weekend. Hopefully my boldness will be rewarded.
Again, completely agree but i've lost my boldness when it comes to captaincy on this game. Captaincy in my mind for how i play has almost been wiped out of the way as part of an enjoyment sector of the game, and rather to keep on track with the casual/general consensus while letting the rest of my team picks do the talking (all being well..)

This doesn't play into my thinking now to convince myself (let alone you), but i remember having a truly horrific time 3 seasons ago with captaincy when going with my gut. Two seasons ago i changed due to looking at what consistent top players like Ville did, and understanding the logic behind it once i read quite a bit as to why play boring/safe.

This isn't to sway you, which it wouldn't anyway, i want you to keep to that and i hope it comes off 8-) there's probably more regrets to come now isn't there? This league is filled with a greater depth of options now every week.

acruxen
Treebeard
FS Record: FPL 14/15: 1078

Post by acruxen »

Bergkamp_22 wrote:
Pirlo's Beard wrote:

Again, completely agree but i've lost my boldness when it comes to captaincy on this game. Captaincy in my mind for how i play has almost been wiped out of the way as part of an enjoyment sector of the game, and rather to keep on track with the casual/general consensus while letting the rest of my team picks do the talking (all being well..)

This doesn't play into my thinking now to convince myself (let alone you), but i remember having a truly horrific time 3 seasons ago with captaincy when going with my gut. Two seasons ago i changed due to looking at what consistent top players like Ville did, and understanding the logic behind it once i read quite a bit as to why play boring/safe.

This isn't to sway you, which it wouldn't anyway, i want you to keep to that and i hope it comes off 8-) there's probably more regrets to come now isn't there? This league is filled with a greater depth of options now every week.
Yes this is the optimal way to pick captain - the only time when you can make ground is when there is a huge split poll. Kane vs Aguero I think two seasons ago is an example I remember (Kane hattrick, Aguero blank).

Maybe once a season I may play it by gut, the player has to be super explosive for this ever to have any merit.

Pirlo's Beard
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Pirlo's Beard »

acruxen wrote:the only time when you can make ground is when there is a huge split poll.
Well that's not exactly true is it? Ultimately the way you make ground is by outscoring other players, regardless of what the polls say before the event. In fact, you can make up even more ground if the vast majority captain the favourite and you pick someone different who outscores him. Agreed, the favourite is usually the favourite for a good reason. Again, it's about picking your moments.
acruxen wrote:Maybe once a season I may play it by gut, the player has to be super explosive for this ever to have any merit.
Like Mané, for example? :wink:

ZeroRemorse
Grumpy Old Man

Post by ZeroRemorse »

Pirlo's Beard wrote:
JLH wrote:Why are you always so convincing?
Jedi mind control. :wink:

I remember rocking with Michu back a few seasons ago and being really satisfied when he bagged a brace and an assist. Sometimes the niche picks pay off dividends. The trick is always to pick an inform player, like Mahrez last season. I think Mane is a good bet, he had a storming game vs Arsenal, and he's quick, great finisher and creates many chances, always has a high chance of score 1+. Good luck.

Bertie64
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: 28640....

Post by Bertie64 »

Pirlo's Beard wrote:
acruxen wrote:the only time when you can make ground is when there is a huge split poll.
Well that's not exactly true is it? Ultimately the way you make ground is by outscoring other players, regardless of what the polls say before the event. In fact, you can make up even more ground if the vast majority captain the favourite and you pick someone different who outscores him. Agreed, the favourite is usually the favourite for a good reason. Again, it's about picking your moments.
acruxen wrote:Maybe once a season I may play it by gut, the player has to be super explosive for this ever to have any merit.
Like Mané, for example? :wink:
Hate to rain on anyone's boldness Pirlo, but it sounds like Mané is in hospital having a scan on his shoulder. Maybe more (c)rocked than (c)aptain...

Carlb5253
FISOhead

Post by Carlb5253 »

MANE IS INJURED.

Shoulder surgery according to Sky sources!

Pirlo's Beard
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Pirlo's Beard »

Oh for the love of God. :lol:

Alli (C) then I suppose? Annoyingly £0.5m short of Mané :arrow: Payet.

CR9
Wideboy
FS Record: Superb

Post by CR9 »

Carlb5253 wrote:MANE IS INJURED. Shoulder surgery according to Sky sources!
http://www.empireofthekop.com/2016/08/1 ... nd-injury/

ZeroRemorse
Grumpy Old Man

Post by ZeroRemorse »

Jesus, Liverpool have no luck do they..

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Fantasy PremierLeague.com (FPL)”