To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Stones

A Fantasy Football forum for news on fantasy football games run by the Premierleague (FPL).
blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Re: Stones

Post by blahblah »

ssshh I'm trying to put people off.

Is it true that Wobbie didn't do any defensive training\work?

The Catman
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Winner 2013 TFC T20 wickets league; Winner 2012 F1 Fantasyracers.com. Winner Mirror FF Free League 2014/15. 6th TFC T20 runs 2016.

Post by The Catman »

blahblah wrote:
Is it true that Wobbie didn't do any defensive training\work?
Well it didn't look like it!

liquidfootball2
Dumbledore
FS Record: Best fpl finish 233 in 14/15

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Stones

Post by liquidfootball2 »

liquidfootball2 wrote:
Curwinkle wrote:Good signing for Joe Hart owners. Increased save points potential :wink:
Except Joe himself may be axed
Hate quoting myself Image

Mav3rick
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FPL: 1082, 1201, 1800, 10203

The stats are dark and full of errors.

Post by Mav3rick »

So what did everyone think of city's defence?

SuperGrover
Grumpy Old Man

Post by SuperGrover »

Mav3rick wrote:So what did everyone think of city's defence?
Hard to judge as Sunderland sat very deep and played for counter. On the goal they switched off but not sure if that will be a consistent problem. Certain they will improve with Kompany's leadership, but how good are they now? No idea.

i will say Caballero looked very shaky with the ball at his feet.

liquidfootball2
Dumbledore

Re: RE: Re: Stones

Pretty unimpressed, showed the same lack of concentration that was so prevalent last season. Sunderland hardly posed much threat and still scored. Obviously kolarov isn't a centre-half and players are out but so is the jury.

It just reminded me of so many displays last year when they would turn the most clearcut cleany by conceding late goals. A lot of work needs to be done but Old Trafford looking the place to get defenders for me. (until tomorrow perhapsImage )

Droughton
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: FPL 11/12 - 292

Post by Droughton »

If you watch the build up to the Sunderland goal, Guardiola is screaming at Sterling when the throw-in is being taken to track back and double up on Januzaj. He doesn't and Januzaj cuts inside, pass, pass, John Stones strangely rushes out to close the ball down on the edge of the box and leaves a huge gap in behind himself - Defoe reacts immediately and makes a run into the space and the ball is threaded through.... goal. Relly Stones should defend where he is and let the DM/Spare man close the ball down... Rodwell is hardly renowned for his finishing ability. Lots of work yet to get to a solid unit

SuperGrover
Grumpy Old Man

Post by SuperGrover »

liquidfootball2 wrote:
Pretty unimpressed, showed the same lack of concentration that was so prevalent last season. Sunderland hardly posed much threat and still scored. Obviously kolarov isn't a centre-half and players are out but so is the jury.

It just reminded me of so many displays last year when they would turn the most clearcut cleany by conceding late goals. A lot of work needs to be done but Old Trafford looking the place to get defenders for me. (until tomorrow perhapsImage )
That's true, but understand they were tied for 3rd in CS last season so if they are like last season you are still talking about an elite defence. Also, funny to see you promote Man U. prior to them playing. Who knows how well they will actually play.

liquidfootball2
Dumbledore

I'm impressed by Bailly and even without Smalling they looked good against Leicester.

José also has a reputation for good defensive sides by and large as his Chelsea showed bar last season's nightmare. Shaw fit and playing looks a real addition.

Its more what I expect than evidence at this stage though and I would expect Utds and possibly Chelsea's defence to be better.

City are looking to get a keeper but they weren't great last season and haven't brought in any defensively sound defenders. Stones will progress quickly under Guardiola and is a real talent with the potential to be one of the best, but he's far from the finished article now having suffered badly under the nightmare manager that was Martinez.

SuperGrover
Grumpy Old Man

Post by SuperGrover »

liquidfootball2 wrote:I'm impressed by Bailly and even without Smalling they looked good against Leicester.

José also has a reputation for good defensive sides by and large as his Chelsea showed bar last season's nightmare. Shaw fit and playing looks a real addition.

Its more what I expect than evidence at this stage though and I would expect Utds and possibly Chelsea's defence to be better.

City are looking to get a keeper but they weren't great last season and haven't brought in any defensively sound defenders. Stones will progress quickly under Guardiola and is a real talent with the potential to be one of the best, but he's far from the finished article now having suffered badly under the nightmare manager that was Martinez.
Interesting as I thought Bailly looked horrible in the Shield game. Yeah he has skills, but he made multiple errors that set up goal scoring opps for the opponent. I wouldn't be surprised to see him benched in GW2 and see Mourinho go Blind-Smalling until he gets some consistency.

Also, as far as City "not great" last season, they were tied for 3rd in CS. To repeat, tied for third. That means only two teams were better. Yeah, maybe that's not as good people expect but it's still really good when juxtaposed with their competition. if they are only as good as last year, Stones will be an absolute steal assuming he starts consistently. A 5.0 on the 3rd best D in the league? Everyone will have him.

liquidfootball2
Dumbledore

SuperGrover wrote: Also, as far as City "not great" last season, they were tied for 3rd in CS. To repeat, tied for third. That means only two teams were better
Well this is just plainly wrong

Leicester conceded 36
Arsenal conceded 36
Spurs conceded 35
City conceded 41
Utd conceded 35
Southampton conceded 41

So in fact of last years too six only Southampton in sixth conceded as many.

http://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/pr ... e/2015-16/

Carlos Kickaball
Dumbledore

Post by Carlos Kickaball »

liquidfootball2 wrote:
SuperGrover wrote: Also, as far as City "not great" last season, they were tied for 3rd in CS. To repeat, tied for third. That means only two teams were better

Leicester conceded 36
Arsenal conceded 36
Spurs conceded 35
City conceded 41
Utd conceded 35
Southampton conceded 41

That's a list of goals conceded, not a list of clean sheets...

Mav3rick
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FPL: 1082, 1201, 1800, 10203

The stats are dark and full of errors.

Post by Mav3rick »

liquidfootball2 wrote:

Leicester conceded 36
Arsenal conceded 36
Spurs conceded 35
City conceded 41
Utd conceded 35
Southampton conceded 41

It's a tricky one to call and depends rather on what you place the most emphasis. Last season in terms of expected goals conceded, city were 2nd in the league behind only Spurs (and not by much).

But they did concede quite a lot of actual goals which could have been down to individual mistakes or just bad luck. Hard to know without looking at every goal.

The thing that worries me isn't that they won't repeat or better last year, it's that they will be worse! I know that the system is bedding in and they apparently now require a new keeper, but premier league managers and strikers aren't daft and when they see (what I would call extreme) strategies in defence like citys, then they, like Defoe did, will exploit the holes and mistakes while the team is learning how to apply it properly.

What I did like from an FPL perspective was the way stones was stepping forward and getting involved in the game. Whether that translates to BPs or not I don't know (will he actually lose out on things like % passes completed for example).

Glenjamin
Red & Blue Braces
FS Record: average

Post by Glenjamin »

liquidfootball2 wrote:

Leicester conceded 36
Arsenal conceded 36
Spurs conceded 35
City conceded 41
Utd conceded 35
Southampton conceded 41

That's goals against. Not clean sheets.

Man u 18
Arsenal 18
City 16

liquidfootball2
Dumbledore

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Stones

Glenjamin wrote:
liquidfootball2 wrote:

Leicester conceded 36
Arsenal conceded 36
Spurs conceded 35
City conceded 41
Utd conceded 35
Southampton conceded 41

That's goals against. Not clean sheets.

Man u 18
Arsenal 18
City 16
OK sorry I missed the cs bit and read as third best defence. It does however show they were some way off Spurs, Utd, Leicester and Arsenal in terms of their defence and that confirms the impression I had of them.

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

Bit harsh judging their defence with only 1 CB in the XI, but it was Sunderland....

Weisenwolf
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: 2,234 points; back when this was considered a good score....

Post by Weisenwolf »

Droughton wrote:If you watch the build up to the Sunderland goal, Guardiola is screaming at Sterling when the throw-in is being taken to track back and double up on Januzaj. He doesn't and Januzaj cuts inside, pass, pass, John Stones strangely rushes out to close the ball down on the edge of the box and leaves a huge gap in behind himself - Defoe reacts immediately and makes a run into the space and the ball is threaded through.... goal. Relly Stones should defend where he is and let the DM/Spare man close the ball down... Rodwell is hardly renowned for his finishing ability. Lots of work yet to get to a solid unit
Stones is renown for this sort of recklessness and the pundits are always saying that he will learn but he does not appear to do so.

froog
FISOhead

Post by froog »

SuperGrover wrote:
liquidfootball2 wrote:I'm impressed by Bailly and even without Smalling they looked good against Leicester.

Interesting as I thought Bailly looked horrible in the Shield game. Yeah he has skills, but he made multiple errors that set up goal scoring opps for the opponent. I wouldn't be surprised to see him benched in GW2 and see Mourinho go Blind-Smalling until he gets some consistency.

Also, as far as City "not great" last season, they were tied for 3rd in CS. To repeat, tied for third. That means only two teams were better. Yeah, maybe that's not as good people expect but it's still really good when juxtaposed with their competition. if they are only as good as last year, Stones will be an absolute steal assuming he starts consistently. A 5.0 on the 3rd best D in the league? Everyone will have him.

really? general consensus was that he had a great game. think he even got man of the match.

liquidfootball2
Dumbledore

blahblah wrote:Bit harsh judging their defence with only 1 CB in the XI, but it was Sunderland....
I don't think anyone is, I said the jury is still out (as it has to be with nothing really to judge it on). The only thing we have is last year and first impressions, so maybe they will be better this year but I think Utd were good last year and could be even better.

For me City look to have more options going forward but Utds defence is potentially better especially when they eventually get Smalling back.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Definitely regarding MU, they should be very tight, despite Fellaini appearing to be a Jose favourite.

I would guess the "regular" Citeh defence will have a different: GK (not Hart), at least one FB and a CB.

SuperGrover
Grumpy Old Man

Post by SuperGrover »

froog wrote:
SuperGrover wrote:

really? general consensus was that he had a great game. think he even got man of the match.
Yeah i seem to be in the minority there but I thought he really struggled with Vardy's pace. He also made a couple questionable decisions that lead directly to chances (some half chances, but chances none the less). No question the kid has talent but that was a bit worrisome to me. We'll find out if Mourinho agrees at all once Smalling is back.

SuperGrover
Grumpy Old Man

Post by SuperGrover »

liquidfootball2 wrote:
blahblah wrote:Bit harsh judging their defence with only 1 CB in the XI, but it was Sunderland....
I don't think anyone is, I said the jury is still out (as it has to be with nothing really to judge it on). The only thing we have is last year and first impressions, so maybe they will be better this year but I think Utd were good last year and could be even better.

For me City look to have more options going forward but Utds defence is potentially better especially when they eventually get Smalling back.
I don't think there is any question that United will most likely have a better defence than City, but I also think is most likely it will be pretty close. The fact Stones is a starter at 5.0 for what will almost certainly be one of the top defenses in the league makes him a steal.

liquidfootball2
Dumbledore

Yes I agree on Stones I have him myself and think most teams I've seen do too

Bertie64
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: 28640....

Post by Bertie64 »

It'll be interesting to see how City's defence pans out as Pep's playing systems get more embedded into the minds of the players.

Will they be a good defensive unit? Almost certainly.
I'm not as convinced they will be a 'set-and-forget' defence like the Arsenal (of ages ago, yawn...) or more recent Chelsea and Man U teams.
But I'm also not really sure such a thing exists any more in EPL. Obviously we still have to see with Chelsea this season but maybe this Man U side is as close as it gets and they aren't rock solid either.

All the top sides look much more about going forwards and I think on many occasions there will be other defenders from lesser fancied teams that offer better chances of the CS in any given week.

At 5m Stones fits the bill perfectly for me and the low expectation of attacking returns means I won't mind benching him one bit if I think there is a better option.
A 6m or 6.5m defender you more or less have to play every week to make sure you get the benefit of the attacking points if/when they come. Until we see a bit more of what Pep's new methods mean for them I would not want one of those from City.

As long as he features in Pep's side he will be in my 15, and in the near term be starting most/all games for me.
I can't see anyone else at the price who could be considered a better bet right now.

Gambit
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Gambit »

so, what do people think now after two games?

clearly first choice, which is good, but I've not been convinced by City defensively (and they haven't played top teams), from a defensive point of view I don't like how the full backs push right into the centre midfield areas, a couple of times today they were horribly exposed but Stoke didn't possess enough pace to take advantage.

With West Ham, United, Spurs, Everton in the next 6 matches I can't see too many clean sheets even if City win the games.

I'm thinking of maybe swapping out if I don't get any pressing issues, looking at the next few weeks and I think the likes of Chelsea, Everton, or even Palace have fixtures that look more suited to clean sheets?

Or is he better just to keep and bench him instead, don't really want 5m on the bench though?

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Pep's 4-1-4-1 isn't doing it for me, and I jettisoned him with the WC.

Razorback
FISO Knight
FS Record: 8th overall TFF 06/07, TFF25s & FISO Super League Champion 06/07, FISO Euro 2008 Predictions League Champion, 2nd overall Sky FF 08/09, 263rd overall FPL 08/09, Block Party Super League Champion 10/11 & 44th overall TFF 11/12

Post by Razorback »

He's a hold for me ATM, having trouble justifying starting him next week though...

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

And then the Manxland Derby - which could get very messy if Pep goes 4-1-4-1.

liquidfootball2
Dumbledore

Hold until I wildcard early and perhaps a little after, not a set and forget as still liable to make poor judgements and be caught out of position.

I do think he's a Guardiola type defender though as his attributes of comfortable on the ball, bringing it out and seeing a pass are ideal for his style. Perhaps City's best form of defence will be to keep the ball and dominate possession and Stones fits this way too.
Last edited by liquidfootball2 on 21 Aug 2016, 08:50, edited 1 time in total.

Gambit
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Gambit »

have been reading the injury rumours regarding West Ham, if they turn out to be true I will keep Stones for this week as West Ham (h) could provide a good chance of a clean sheet. Will see how they look this afternoon.

I do agree that Stones will be a Pep favourite, it's just that I can see more clean sheet potential at other teams and I'm loathe to have a 5m defender benched every other week

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Fantasy PremierLeague.com (FPL)”