To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Stones

A Fantasy Football forum for news on fantasy football games run by the Premierleague (FPL).
Owsler
Dumbledore

Re: Stones

Post by Owsler »

Is he playing well in a defence that isn't going to match his performance with clean sheets.

Gambit
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Gambit »

yes, he's doing ok, but the way Pep plays the full backs are almost number 10's at times and they look vulnerable at the back.

I'm sure the plan is to dominate possession and keep clean sheets by virtue of the fact that the opponents can't get the ball, maybe that will work, but looking at them against Sunderland/Stoke and seeing the teams they have coming up and I can't see lots of clean sheets.

he will play every week I'm sure, but with no history of attacking potential, not looking good for clean sheets, and in a team where attacking players will dominate the bonus points I'm struggling to justify keeping him.

Owsler
Dumbledore

Post by Owsler »

Same. And I'd have no problem downgrading him to a 4.5er.

Mav3rick
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FPL: 1082, 1201, 1800, 10203

The stats are dark and full of errors.

Post by Mav3rick »

Did anyone glance at the BP situation midgame? From reddit they are saying that stones was on for an 8 pointer before the Bojan pen, which would at least mean that the style at city suits him for BPs and he may nick more BPs than we thought.

acruxen
Treebeard
FS Record: FPL 14/15: 1078

Post by acruxen »

Season keeper for me, bar a massive exodus and thus price drops, 5m for city defensive coverage is a bargain.

Don't really care about formations or tactics or anything, bottom line is man city's expected defensive returns are higher than what a 5m priced defender should be returning.

Gambit
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Gambit »

acruxen wrote:Season keeper for me, bar a massive exodus and thus price drops, 5m for city defensive coverage is a bargain.

Don't really care about formations or tactics or anything, bottom line is man city's expected defensive returns are higher than what a 5m priced defender should be returning.
that was my thinking at the start, a first choice City defender for 5m, result!

but watching their two games, and his scores of 2,1 could become annoyingly familiar over the next month or so, maybe I'm being too hasty but I see better choices for less money.

will have a look at the bonus points thing mentioned by Mav, maybe give him one more week especially if West Ham look toothless today.

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

And the Sweeper Keeper is yet to arrive....

The Real Slim Shady
Dumbledore
FS Record: 1,465th in FPL 05/06

Post by The Real Slim Shady »

He's only 5 and starting for City and people wanna ship him out :? I'm sure soon as bald willy is back on the bench he'll get CS maybe an assist here and there besides yesterday was a penalty. People have no patience.

Gambit
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Gambit »

well, West Ham certainly did look toothless having been hit hard with injuries.

Stones stays, and as Bournemouth looked even more inept going forward I want him for that game too.

West Ham (h) play
United (a) bench
Bournemouth (h) play

will then reassess the situation

acruxen
Treebeard

Post by acruxen »

Gambit wrote:
acruxen wrote:Season keeper for me, bar a massive exodus and thus price drops, 5m for city defensive coverage is a bargain.

that was my thinking at the start, a first choice City defender for 5m, result!

but watching their two games, and his scores of 2,1 could become annoyingly familiar over the next month or so, maybe I'm being too hasty but I see better choices for less money.

will have a look at the bonus points thing mentioned by Mav, maybe give him one more week especially if West Ham look toothless today.
Yes I think I will be keeping him through price drops for at least the next few fixtures. If I wildcard soon I may also be able to hop off and on stones and make 0.1!

Gambit
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Gambit »

hopefully there won't be any price drops, he's closer to a rise than a drop and IF they can get a clean sheet v West Ham he may actually go up! :)

Bertie64
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: 28640....

Post by Bertie64 »

A lot of chat on here about how people are going to dump Stones. I could be wrong, but I don't think anyone has actually said for who...

Loads of you suggest better picks, often for less money even, so... Who is me another 5.0 defender or less who you think will out score him by the end of the season.

Gambit
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Gambit »

Bertie64 wrote:A lot of chat on here about how people are going to dump Stones. I could be wrong, but I don't think anyone has actually said for who...

Loads of you suggest better picks, often for less money even, so... Who is me another 5.0 defender or less who you think will out score him by the end of the season.
whoever people bring in don't have to outscore him by the end of the season, they just have to outscore him for the weeks they have them.

Bertie64
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Bertie64 »

Gambit wrote:
Bertie64 wrote:A lot of chat on here about how people are going to dump Stones. I could be wrong, but I don't think anyone has actually said for who...

whoever people bring in don't have to outscore him by the end of the season, they just have to outscore him for the weeks they have them.
Agreed. But still no names are forthcoming....

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

Valencia and Shaw are two.

I fancy Everton's defence so Baines is my third playing Defender.

Bertie64
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Bertie64 »

blahblah wrote:Valencia and Shaw are two.

I fancy Everton's defence so Baines is my third playing Defender.
Yeah, but they are more expensive, most people probably already have one of them, many might not want to or have space to double up with DeGea and Ibra/Martial etc..., so not only can you own all three, but I would argue maybe you should have all three. If you have capacity for 2 Man U defenders that is. Still can't see a reason not to take Stones TBH.

Everton haven't sparkled so far, but that's another more expensive pick in a team that has shown no better form.

Let's not forget that it was only a bizarre interpretation of some new directive that led to the goal. Without that complete anomaly we would not be having this debate. Stones would have his CS and possibly a couple of BPS to go with it and all would be good with the world...

Gambit
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Gambit »

yet again he lets me down! annoyed with myself for keeping him, didn't even get the 2 points today :(

United, Spurs, Everton are 3 of this next five, I know he's a first choice at a top team but City just don't look solid at the back, West Brom defenders look a better bet, cheaper and more of a goal threat.

will wait and see if the international games throw up any injures but he's close to getting the boot from my squad!

Football Hero
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Football Hero »

Gambit wrote:yet again he lets me down! annoyed with myself for keeping him, didn't even get the 2 points today :(

United, Spurs, Everton are 3 of this next five, I know he's a first choice at a top team but City just don't look solid at the back, West Brom defenders look a better bet, cheaper and more of a goal threat.

will wait and see if the international games throw up any injures but he's close to getting the boot from my squad!
I'm almost feeling stubborn with him now though, surely he has to come good soon?

acruxen
Treebeard

Post by acruxen »

I read he was injured? Am I wrong?

Gambit
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Gambit »

Football Hero wrote:
Gambit wrote:yet again he lets me down! annoyed with myself for keeping him, didn't even get the 2 points today :(

I'm almost feeling stubborn with him now though, surely he has to come good soon?
the problem isn't really with Stones though, he's not playing badly, it's just that this City team, whilst very good going forward, are not exactly solid at the back. they don't look like a team that will shut a game down when they take the lead.

still very early in the season but I think numerous clubs have all looked stronger at the back than City, I do like his GW 5 & 6 fixtures but 5m is a lot to pay for a defender in a team that isn't getting clean sheets, especially as he as little attacking threat.

The Libero
Wideboy

Post by The Libero »

I agree with your logic and I am holding Stones for that reason.

I think the most likely candidates for 5.0ers that may outscore Stones would be Morgan and Huth at Leicester or Jagielka, Williams or Funes Mori at Everton.

If Leicester rediscover their defensive form of second half of last season they are a better bet than City - but is that realistic without Kante....doubtful.
Perhaps a better chance is Everton becoming organised like Southampton were under Koeman, in which case Williams could be a reasonable bet especially with his tendency to accumulate bonus points.

It's still Stones for me, probably the closest one I'd be looking to swap to would be Williams.

Razorback
FISO Knight
FS Record: 8th overall TFF 06/07, TFF25s & FISO Super League Champion 06/07, FISO Euro 2008 Predictions League Champion, 2nd overall Sky FF 08/09, 263rd overall FPL 08/09, Block Party Super League Champion 10/11 & 44th overall TFF 11/12

Post by Razorback »

He's still a hold for me, he's playing well & I've got faith that City's defence will get better sooner rather than later...

LamebrainEddy
Red & Blue Braces

Post by LamebrainEddy »

Heard whispers off city fans of Stones potentially playing in midfield when Kompany returns, that would be very interesting

Bergkamp_22
FISOhead
FS Record: 2,263 points

Post by Bergkamp_22 »

I got rid of him in my WC purely because of the fixtures upcoming aren't looking good. Come end of the season though i do expect him to be right up there for sure. I'll wait till City actually hold a first clean sheet before i go back to him though

CarlosTheFinger
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: William Hill Chiswick branch Euro 2008 league winner

Post by CarlosTheFinger »

For me, the idea behind having defenders at teams like Man Utd, Chelsea, Man City and a fully fit Arsenal defence is that you play them every week and they will get you clean sheets in about half of the games and with fewer goals conceded. More importantly, you won't need to waste transfers on them. Given they're relatively cheaper compared to previous years and Stones is even cheaper than most of these, this should be even more the case. It's the cheaper ones alongisde them them you'll be tinkering with based on form and fixtures.

Therefore, I'm keeping faith until he's injured or starts being rotated.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

LamebrainEddy wrote:Heard whispers off city fans of Stones potentially playing in midfield when Kompany returns, that would be very interesting
When Gundagon is fit?

I see him replacing Silva or KdB, otherwise Citeh will get very few CS's imho. This 4-1-4-1 hasn't worked against Sunderland, Stoke and a very under strength WHam.....

math!
Dumbledore
FS Record: Yes

Post by math! »

acruxen wrote:I read he was injured? Am I wrong?
He is yellow flagged on fpl but there is the international break.

Weisenwolf
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: 2,234 points; back when this was considered a good score....

Post by Weisenwolf »

Owsler wrote:Same. And I'd have no problem downgrading him to a 4.5er.
I did last week and got a clean sheet this week, Citeh defence may improve at some point but, cheap as he is for Citeh, he's still not vale. When Vinny comes back, then he's a bargain IMHO

Weisenwolf
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: 2,234 points; back when this was considered a good score....

Post by Weisenwolf »

It's an eye scratch; won't be an issue come the next game

ZeroRemorse
Grumpy Old Man

Post by ZeroRemorse »

Stones is gone for me, freeing some cash up and WBA, United, Chelsea, Spurs, Everton all have better prospects of picking up CS than Stones.

If you can't keep a clean sheet from Sunderland/Stoke and an injury riddled WHU side and you have United next up at OT, you're gone.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Fantasy PremierLeague.com (FPL)”