To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Defensive Gems 16/17

A Fantasy Football forum for news on fantasy football games run by the Premierleague (FPL).
Resonare
Grumpy Old Man

Re: Defensive Gems 16/17

Post by Resonare »

scarletjim wrote:Ok that's reassuring - I've not got a 'full premium' defender, so it seems I'm not out of kilter with what other 'proper' players are doing.
In no way would i describe myself as a "proper" player though, not casual either but there are plenty here with more to offer on this kind of subject :)
DonTanTilla wrote:It's not really my opinion. They are 4th favourite for a cleanie this week according to the bookies and will be up there or there about's most weeks.

If you think that sort of information is rubbish you could just lump £1000 against a city clean sheet each week and watch the money roll in over the remainder of the season.
Might do something like that, actually. Will need to take a deeper look at City's underlying defensive stats.

TheChairLeg
Red & Blue Braces

Post by TheChairLeg »

I'm tempted by Stones. Man City's next 5 fixtures are delicious. Their defensive performances have been worrying this season but it can't continue forever, can it?

The only other attractive alternative in my eyes is Bournemouth. Their record is much more impressive so far and their fixtures are good. I'm not sure who the best pick is in their defensive line. Daniels is rising tonight at £4.9m but Smith has just as many points so far £4.7m

Weisenwolf
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: 2,234 points; back when this was considered a good score....

Post by Weisenwolf »

Stones has played in every game this season and has 2/3 the number of points Kingsley has while Kingsley has played only 2/3 the number of games. Stones is also almost a cool mil more expensive. Look elsewhere IMHO

Joccki_10
Grumpy Old Joker
FS Record: 16/17: 55 OR, 1 FISO Forum, 1 NLD and FISO Cup Winner

Post by Joccki_10 »

Neil Taylor probably dropping to 4.2m tonight. Played the full game against Stoke on Monday night.
Swans' fixtures aren't that bad from GW13 and on (except for GW14: Spurs away).

DonTanTilla
Treebeard

Post by DonTanTilla »

What are we thinking about Swansea's defensive line-up at present. Is it a wait and see still for now?

Im stuck on Amat and might have to switch to Kingsley, but if he's dead in the water too it would be a horrible waste of a sub.

Mr Clarinet
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Mr Clarinet »

Taylor, Amat, Kingsley... doesn't the appearance of Swansea players in the Defensive Gems thread risk contravention of the Trade Descriptions Act?

TheoRiginal
FISOhead
FS Record: Virginal

Post by TheoRiginal »

Mr Clarinet wrote:Taylor, Amat, Kingsley... doesn't the appearance of Swansea players in the Defensive Gems thread risk contravention of the Trade Descriptions Act?
I am sure Mourinho, Manchester United and Zlatan in particular hope you are right . . .

SuperGrover
Grumpy Old Man

Post by SuperGrover »

Holebas suspended next GW. Could be worse as LEI at home isn't a great fixture (not bad, but not great). Still a bit annoying.

Paulista
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Paulista »

SuperGrover wrote:Holebas suspended next GW. Could be worse as LEI at home isn't a great fixture (not bad, but not great). Still a bit annoying.
Also annoying is the potential price drop.

What are people doing with Holebas (and/or Smith)?

Not sure whether or not to sell him yet, but if I do, I think it will be for Nyom; i haven't checked any stats on him yet, but seems nailed on, WBA have BUR,hul,WAT,SWA in 4 of the next 5, and he's 0.2 cheaper than Evans.

Notned
FISO Knight

Post by Notned »

Paulista wrote:
SuperGrover wrote:Holebas suspended next GW. Could be worse as LEI at home isn't a great fixture (not bad, but not great). Still a bit annoying.
Also annoying is the potential price drop.

What are people doing with Holebas (and/or Smith)?

Not sure whether or not to sell him yet, but if I do, I think it will be for Nyom; i haven't checked any stats on him yet, but seems nailed on, WBA have BUR,hul,WAT,SWA in 4 of the next 5, and he's 0.2 cheaper than Evans.
Keeping myself as I've already taken a hit, but can definitely see the attraction in bringing in a West Brom replacement.

Geri
Red & Blue Braces

Post by Geri »

Keeping Holebas and selling Smith. Holebas has a couple of good fixtures after Leicester and is playing pretty offensive. Thinking of bringing Brunt in as he is pretty attacking too but the 0.5 difference between him and Nyom is to be considered. That money can be used to bring Alonso instead of Vertonghen GW15, but that is 3 (4 including int. break) weeks away

SuperGrover
Grumpy Old Man

Post by SuperGrover »

I'd be surprised if Holebas drops. The red flag will push the NTO req pretty high and he's a good long-term pick.

Neil D
FISOhead

Post by Neil D »

What about Cedric? Back in the Southampton team after an injury lay off? They look tight at the back.

yttod1010
FISOhead

Post by yttod1010 »

what do we know about Ake ? likely to keep his place ? 4.2 :shock:

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

yttod1010 wrote:what do we know about Ake ? likely to keep his place ? 4.2 :shock:
I read\heard something about Chelsea wanting him back due to his lack of match time.

Whether that means he starts more or whether that was a token appearance to shut Chelsea up - I haven't a clue.

(I do like being helpful 8-) )

Stemania
FISO Jedi Knight
Location: On the Iron Throne of xG, the seat of The Crown Prince of the Stat Perverts. Or if not, in the STC!
FS Record: Best: TFF 321st. FPL 129th. FFS Career HoF Peak 2nd (Live 1st). Ability since lost.

Post by Stemania »

blahblah wrote:
yttod1010 wrote:what do we know about Ake ? likely to keep his place ? 4.2 :shock:
I read\heard something about Chelsea wanting him back due to his lack of match time.

Whether that means he starts more or whether that was a token appearance to shut Chelsea up - I haven't a clue.

(I do like being helpful 8-) )
I'm pretty sure he was only playing because Smith was suspended.

Ruth_NZ
Grumpy Old Gorilla

Post by Ruth_NZ »

blahblah wrote:I read\heard something about Chelsea wanting him back due to his lack of match time. Whether that means he starts more or whether that was a token appearance to shut Chelsea up - I haven't a clue.
2nd time Bournemouth have done that to Chelsea, they did it with Atsu as well. It's pretty safe to say they won't get a 3rd opportunity.

Aké was a regular PL player at Watford last season. And played very well. If Bournemouth only wanted squad cover that's fine but then they shouldn't have told Chelsea he'd be in contention for the first team. The whole point of someone like Aké going on loan is to play regularly and gain experience.

Anyway... Smith Francis Cook Daniels is the back 4 at Bournemouth when they are available I think. Would need an injury to see Aké get a regular run.

redcat1
Grumpy Old Man

Post by redcat1 »

In defence highly unlikely, Smith will come back in. But with Wilshere unable to play against Arsenal and if Surman is still out Ake will likely play in midfield.

Pirlo's Beard
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Pirlo's Beard »

Ruth_NZ wrote:2nd time Bournemouth have done that to Chelsea, they did it with Atsu as well. It's pretty safe to say they won't get a 3rd opportunity.
As George W. Bush once famously said, "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me..... uh, can't get fooled again!"

TheoRiginal
FISOhead
FS Record: Virginal

Post by TheoRiginal »

Pirlo's Beard wrote:
Ruth_NZ wrote:2nd time Bournemouth have done that to Chelsea, they did it with Atsu as well. It's pretty safe to say they won't get a 3rd opportunity.
As George W. Bush once famously said, "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me..... uh, can't get fooled again!"
I thought Roger Daltrey was lead singer for The Who?

Paulista
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Paulista »

Is Amat a good shout at home to Palace this weekend?

hancockjr
Dumbledore
FS Record: FPL: Not as good as it was, but still very respectable.

Post by hancockjr »

Nice to see him back (I still have him) but presumably his place is not safe? Have not seen the Everton goal but heard it was his weak header that precipitated it.

Mr Clarinet
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Mr Clarinet »

hancockjr wrote:Nice to see him back (I still have him) but presumably his place is not safe? Have not seen the Everton goal but heard it was his weak header that precipitated it.
I wouldn't say it was a terrible header; and then no-one challenged Coleman for the second ball, and Coleman's header went in pretty much the only place it couldn't be saved. So it'd be a bit harsh to drop Amat on the basis of Everton's equalizer. But I doubt his place is secure. Is anyone's in that defence?

hancockjr
Dumbledore
FS Record: FPL: Not as good as it was, but still very respectable.

Post by hancockjr »

Yes, my main point is the manager clearly doesn't know his best 11 yet, so although Amat played last week it's a big gamble to assume he's locked in now. A hold (probably- certainly I have better things to do with transfers) but buying would be very "brave".

Mr Clarinet
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Mr Clarinet »

hancockjr wrote:Yes, my main point is the manager clearly doesn't know his best 11 yet, so although Amat played last week it's a big gamble to assume he's locked in now. A hold (probably- certainly I have better things to do with transfers) but buying would be very "brave".
Yes, currently a hold for me too, on the same basis.

Billy Bongo
FISO Knight

Post by Billy Bongo »

Brunt

Hotstepper
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Reasonable

Post by Hotstepper »

Billy Bongo wrote:Brunt
Yes.

OIEIAO
FISOhead

Post by OIEIAO »

I think I have too much spent and/or inefficiently in defence at the moment - Coleman - Stones - Lovren - Holebas - Kingsley
Coleman's easy run is over now so looking at a way to get Alonso in.

I fancy replacing Stones or Lovren with a cheaper rotator.
West Brom don't have the easiest run of fixtures but they rotate with Watford pretty well.... Between now and the end of Jan Watford have
EVE mci sun CRY TOT sto MID bou ars

The underlined weeks (16 and 19 and if it can possibly last, 23) West Brom have Swansea at home, Southampton away and Middlesbrough away despite some horrible stuff in between. Their next couple are also favourable.
A good rotation for Holebas?
If so would you go for Nyom (£4.3m) or Evans (£4.5m)? They both seem fairly nailed... but have been let down by Pulis tinkering with the back 4 in the past.

WBA a better pairing than Middlesbrough anyway who also have bad weeks 16 and 19. Bournemouth are also a consideration but not as easy to find a bargain there.
West ham maybe but would like to see a glimmer of team form first.

tehavanka
Wideboy

Post by tehavanka »

Paulista wrote:Is Amat a good shout at home to Palace this weekend?
Great sh(oot)out:)

redcat1
Grumpy Old Man

Post by redcat1 »

Does anyone know if Chambers is nailed on or will Friend take his spot when fit again ?

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Fantasy PremierLeague.com (FPL)”