To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Erikson or Alli

A Fantasy Football forum for news on fantasy football games run by the Premierleague (FPL).

Spurs Mid?

Erikson
60%
Alli
40%

Total votes: 134

ObiWanKenobiNil
Kevin and Perry

Erikson or Alli

Post by ObiWanKenobiNil »

Both look great to start with nice fixtures. Is Erikson starting in the hold behind Kane or will Alli?

Obviously set pieces are a big part of erikson's appeal.

gallus
Grumpy Old Man

Re: Erikson or Alli

Post by gallus »

Eriksen. Alli is not that good and I think Eriksen will be Spurs' best player this season.

Arhaych
FISOhead
FS Record: Voted "Most Suave Fantasy Manager" - 2012/2013

Post by Arhaych »

gallus wrote:Eriksen. Alli is not that good and I think Eriksen will be Spurs' best player this season.
Alli not that good? Really? How much of Spurs did you watch last season? :o

I've been toying with Eriksen, but right now I'm on Erik Lamela. I think he could be a steal at £7.0m as I think he is finally settled to life in England and enjoying his football in this Spurs team.

Jason Bourne
Red & Blue Braces

Post by Jason Bourne »

Alli for me. Seemed like last season his role was almost exclusively to make the difference in the final third. Eriksen seemed to have more responsibilities in possession game and was looked at to hold the shape tactically.

DAREEL
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Winner of FISO McDonald's Euro 2016 official . league. FPL player since the game began. Successful cash mini league player that usually ends up in profit

Post by DAREEL »

Erekson is a big underachiever if you go by stats. Think I saw he has better stats than alli. He's very off and on though

Mav3rick
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FPL: 1082, 1201, 1800, 10203

The stats are dark and full of errors.

Post by Mav3rick »

DAREEL wrote:Erekson is a big underachiever if you go by stats. Think I saw he has better stats than alli. He's very off and on though
I'm not sure, I think I'd say that Eriksen was about par (for both goals and assists), but that Alli overachieved if going by stats (a bit on goals but defintely on assists).

Alli always looks extremely dangerous in open play though and is one of the top 4/5 midfielders for goal threat for me.

00tennis
Treebeard

Post by 00tennis »

Well, obviously Alli won't be tired from the €uro$..... it's a bit of a coin flip... Lamela @7.0 anyone? Bit of a Siggy/Ayew coin toss......

ctibbits
Dumbledore
FS Record: Won "The Bet" 2014/15

Post by ctibbits »

Been burned by a belief in Lamela twice now and I am not falling for it again. Right now I am on Alli just because I see more explosive returns. However the slow and steady wins the race methodology leads me to think Eriksen could be a better choice because of the set pieces.

00tennis
Treebeard

Post by 00tennis »

ctibbits wrote:Been burned by a belief in Lamela twice now and I am not falling for it again. Right now I am on Alli just because I see more explosive returns. However the slow and steady wins the race methodology leads me to think Eriksen could be a better choice because of the set pieces.
I know what you mean....once/twice & all that

Notned
FISO Knight

Post by Notned »

Would prefer Eriksen of the two I think, but I too am strangely tempted by the Lamela punt. Think he could have a big season.

ctibbits
Dumbledore

Post by ctibbits »

Notned wrote:Would prefer Eriksen of the two I think, but I too am strangely tempted by the Lamela punt. Think he could have a big season.
Punts never seem to work for that price range though right? If Lamela stats off with a flyer you can transfer him in with little loss. But if he does what he has done and lets his owners down then you are left scrounging to make up ground. The only punts I am taking this season are on 4.5 or less. Im just going to be real conservative at the start this season, no new comers, no one unproven, nothing that looks good "on paper" or "should" have a breakout season. Then adjust accordingly over the first few weeks.

acruxen
Treebeard
FS Record: FPL 14/15: 1078

Post by acruxen »

ctibbits wrote:
Notned wrote:Would prefer Eriksen of the two I think, but I too am strangely tempted by the Lamela punt. Think he could have a big season.
Punts never seem to work for that price range though right? If Lamela stats off with a flyer you can transfer him in with little loss. But if he does what he has done and lets his owners down then you are left scrounging to make up ground. The only punts I am taking this season are on 4.5 or less. Im just going to be real conservative at the start this season, no new comers, no one unproven, nothing that looks good "on paper" or "should" have a breakout season. Then adjust accordingly over the first few weeks.
Punts work fine provided you have a strong template base. I've always thought Matt's advice (FPL winner a few years back) is very valuable - around 7 strong template players and 4 punty type players.

I think at the start of the season, it's about making sure you don't fall behind, so I usually adopt a slightly less risky approach and only have 3 punts or so. Also depends on how you define a punt ( I think 10% ownership or below roughly.)

Mav3rick
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Mav3rick »

acruxen wrote: Punts work fine provided you have a strong template base. I've always thought Matt's advice (FPL winner a few years back) is very valuable - around 7 strong template players and 4 punty type players.
I don't want to put words in the mouth of the amazing Spiderm4tt, but I know the strategy you are describing and I don't think he'd describe those 4 players as "punt" types. I believe the term he uses is "quality differential", meaning differential from the template that will emerge. At the start of the season, I don't think this strategy applies since there is no template and hence there are no template players, apart from maybe Aguero. Every player you pick is therefore in the "quality differential" category, but I don't think they should be punts.

In a season starting squad, I would definitely not take 4 punts (assuming that punt means may not start/not sure of starting position/new to the league) as you will have plenty of fires to put out, plenty of players potentially dropping in price and plenty of bandwagons to address.

I think back to last season and the likes of Walcott, who I took as a punt. That ended pretty badly and I'd certainly not want 4 of them in my team!

Glenjamin
Red & Blue Braces
FS Record: average

Post by Glenjamin »

It's a tough call between any of the 3. Eriksen, Lamela or Alli. Champions league throws a spanner in the works aswell. Lamela does the most running and is easiest to replace with another energiser bunny in son.

Eriksen and alli I think will see similar rotation this season and also alli doesn't have to prove himself this season so those extra 500 mins of play time between Eriksen and alli will drop.

Lamela proved himself to be a decent corner taker from the right halving Eriksen corners potentially. Kane now takes the powerful free kicks from range which may also see some of Eriksens deadball box efforts reduced.

I can't see past Alli for the best end of season score between the 3. The way he ghosts into the box is an art that he can only improve on and I don't see a dip in those 10 goals.

Saying all that I currently have Lamela as he just allows that extra 1.5 MIL.

Janssen is an unknown entity though who apparently is happy to be the 'workhorse' striker so he may get some time behind Kane at the expense of Eriksen and alli.

And that's just one big ramble that tells you nothing.....

acruxen
Treebeard
FS Record: FPL 14/15: 1078

Post by acruxen »

Mav3rick wrote:
acruxen wrote: Punts work fine provided you have a strong template base. I've always thought Matt's advice (FPL winner a few years back) is very valuable - around 7 strong template players and 4 punty type players.
I don't want to put words in the mouth of the amazing Spiderm4tt, but I know the strategy you are describing and I don't think he'd describe those 4 players as "punt" types. I believe the term he uses is "quality differential", meaning differential from the template that will emerge. At the start of the season, I don't think this strategy applies since there is no template and hence there are no template players, apart from maybe Aguero. Every player you pick is therefore in the "quality differential" category, but I don't think they should be punts.

In a season starting squad, I would definitely not take 4 punts (assuming that punt means may not start/not sure of starting position/new to the league) as you will have plenty of fires to put out, plenty of players potentially dropping in price and plenty of bandwagons to address.

I think back to last season and the likes of Walcott, who I took as a punt. That ended pretty badly and I'd certainly not want 4 of them in my team!
I just define differential and template by the percent selected by stat. Template at the start of the season would therefore be the most highly owned players - this is of course subject to change. You're right, definitely not 4 Walcott's but around 3 combined with strong highly owned players should work well. As for Lamela, I would like to see how pre-season goes first - rather concerned about the large defensive side of his game (and associated yellow cards.)

Gambit
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Gambit »

Alli, he's a brilliant player, his ability to time runs into the box is as good as anybody in the league.

Only possible question mark is the "2nd season syndrome", but don't think this will be an issue, I expect him to hit double figures for goals again and think he will become one of the best attacking midfielders about.

The Username
Grumpy Old Man

Post by The Username »

8.5mill seems a little rich considering the options at 7.5, Cazola and Fab have pulled 200 point seasons in the past, while Siggy pulled in more points last season then Alli, a bargain at 5.0 last season 8.5 is a different matter.

Mav3rick
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Mav3rick »

The Username wrote:8.5mill seems a little rich considering the options at 7.5, Cazola and Fab have pulled 200 point seasons in the past, while Siggy pulled in more points last season then Alli, a bargain at 5.0 last season 8.5 is a different matter.
Alli did outscore Sigurdsson by 166 points to 158, and that was on significantly less minutes. However Sigurddson only really got going once Monk left though, so the raw numbers are difficult to tease apart. I think FPL price mostly on PPG from last season, which is why Alli costs more but if you dig into some numbers then interesting stats emerge:

In terms of total shots and key passes (from whoscored.com)

Shots Per Game: Alli=2.2; Sigurdsson=2.4
Key Passes Per Game: Alli=1.7; Sigurdsson=1.6

So about equal there, but what about the quality of those shots and key passes, in terms of expected goals and expected assists. This data is from one of the models I follow:

Expected Goals: Alli=8.25; Sigurdsson=8.27
Expected Assists: Alli=3.4; Sigurdsson=3.82

(Expected goals includes things like direct free-kicks and penalties)

Those numbers show Sigurdsson in a very favourable light to Alli, and suggest either an overpricing of Alli or an underpricing of Sigurdsson, and that's before we even make any attempt to factor in the improvement of Sigurdsson's output after Monk left (which might have been dragging his numbers down prior to that managerial change).

Alli does have markedly superior open play expected goals, so if Sigurdsson were to lose penalty duty, he would be much less attractive (his open play xG drops to 5 while Alli's remain at 8.25).

Sigurdsson has been in my optimised GW1 plan for a while, but if those stats are to be believed, then Sigurdsson is more or less Alli's equal, but at 1.0 less and maybe I won't need to worry about keeping the cash back for an upgrade anyway!

DanCaek
Grumpy Old Man

Post by DanCaek »

I think FPL have factored in that Alli could be at the beginning of his ascension. Personally I have Erikson and Sigurdsson in my early draft because they have more history, and consistency. However I think Alli is the most likely of the 3 to be either below 150 or over 200.

Stigtag1
Red & Blue Braces

Post by Stigtag1 »

[/quote]

Shots Per Game: Alli=2.2; Sigurdsson=2.4
Key Passes Per Game: Alli=1.7; Sigurdsson=1.6

So about equal there, but what about the quality of those shots and key passes, in terms of expected goals and expected assists. This data is from one of the models I follow:

Expected Goals: Alli=8.25; Sigurdsson=8.27
Expected Assists: Alli=3.4; Sigurdsson=3.82
[/quote]

Maverick cracking post, what do you mean by models you follow(data)?

Stemania
FISO Jedi Knight
Location: On the Iron Throne of xG, the seat of The Crown Prince of the Stat Perverts. Or if not, in the STC!
FS Record: Best: TFF 321st. FPL 129th. FFS Career HoF Peak 2nd (Live 1st). Ability since lost.

Post by Stemania »

My one slight worry with Siggy at the moment is he's yet to play in preseason I think. Bearing in mind his fixtures go shocking after the awsome first two weeks, it may not actually turn out great to own him and the start or even for a while.

Eriksen and Siggy both in the majority of my drafts so far though. Haven't really gotten close to including Alli tbh.

CarlosTheFinger
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: William Hill Chiswick branch Euro 2008 league winner

Post by CarlosTheFinger »

I've gone for Alli so far. I expect him to improve this season. More goals, assists and fewer yellows. Considering it was his first PL season and Eriksen's third he's doing amazingly to get so close.

Le Red
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Will improve

Post by Le Red »

Alli might just be the kind of player that scares everyone with a price hike only for people to realise later that he's still underpriced.
A decent amount of people thought Harry Kane wasn't worth £9.5 last time around... People just don't want to pay money for players they grabbed for £5.0 the season before.
But I don't think Alli is underpriced by the way. I think the £8.0 region was a good decision by FPL.

Division
Treebeard
FS Record: 1267

Post by Division »

From a more basic point of view, Eriksen takes set pieces and has a great pass so if Kane improves his conversion rate this season Eriksen will benefit from more assists than Alli.

Who is on penalties for Spurs?

Arhaych
FISOhead
FS Record: Voted "Most Suave Fantasy Manager" - 2012/2013

Post by Arhaych »

Division wrote:From a more basic point of view, Eriksen takes set pieces and has a great pass so if Kane improves his conversion rate this season Eriksen will benefit from more assists than Alli.

Who is on penalties for Spurs?
The man with the biggest jaw in mainstream sports.

Harry Kane.

MPTree
Grumpy Old Man

Post by MPTree »

FFS had this to say in their premium mids article:

"Although Eriksen scored six goals, it was his 13 assists that caught the eye during a season in which only Payet and Ozil created more chances. The Dane also led the way amongst all midfielders for shots on target (41), though his penchant for a long shot meant that only 29 of his 100 efforts arrived in the box – Alli, on the other hand, boasted superior close-range threat and fired 40 attempts in the opposition area."

That's kind of the crux of the issue for me. Alli: greater goal threat from open play, gets forward far more. Eriksen: greater assist threat & a good share of set pieces. It's not an easy one from my point of view, but I think Eriksen edges it.

bboy
Cheetah

Post by bboy »

I'd probably go Alli

ctibbits
Dumbledore

Post by ctibbits »

Madness to get both? I hate having to Mids form the same team but am actually considering it this time.

Le Red
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Will improve

Post by Le Red »

I think the reason people are leaning towards Eriksen is because he's more of a known quantity, while it remains to be seen how Alli will react to his second season. I'd still go for Alli since he's a natural goalscorer.

Joccki_10
Grumpy Old Joker
FS Record: 16/17: 55 OR, 1 FISO Forum, 1 NLD and FISO Cup Winner

Post by Joccki_10 »

ctibbits wrote:Madness to get both? I hate having to Mids form the same team but am actually considering it this time.
I am too, but with Martial and Mkhitaryan :)

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Fantasy PremierLeague.com (FPL)”