To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Best 4.5 mid 16/17

A Fantasy Football forum for news on fantasy football games run by the Premierleague (FPL).
sunbather
FISOhead
FS Record: Top 60k FPL finish seven years in a row, best result Top 2k

Best 4.5 mid 16/17

Post by sunbather »

Another thread that I assume will be created by someone at some point, might as well be me.

I tend to pick a 4.5 mid but the only success I remember was good old George Boyd. I think we loved him because he used to score in the games that Aguero or Costa was injured if I recall correctly?

Last year I went for Tettey but that was a small failure since he lost me .2 or .3 in the end. One of the main things I'm looking for this year would be for someone to keep or gain value.

Stemania was saying that Højbjerg at Southampton could be a good option "if he plays and is in the box to box role" so I'll start the discussion with him.

Beerfuelledman
FISO Knight
FS Record: FISO 17/18 FPL Cash Draft League Winner

Re: Best 4.5 mid 16/17

Post by Beerfuelledman »

Højbjerg should be a pretty straight replacement for Wanyama. My concerns with him are around how well Southamption will play under Puel. (Hes on 2 goals in 56 games)
Namphalys Mendy looks to be a direct replacement for Kante at Leicester, though in 196 games over 6 yrs hes managed 1 goal.
There are literally LOADS of options at least. Mile Jedinak looks to me to be a great option IF he can hold a starting spot in the Palace midfield. Palace are buying well and could do better this season.
Im currently thinking Darren Fletcher for the money seems least risky (20 goals in 264) but am subject to change.

Roope
Red & Blue Braces

Post by Roope »

I've usually gone for the 4.5 mid, but I'm not sure if I've been happy with this strategy. I might even go for a 5th mid up to 5.5 this season (Joshua King?) for increased dynamicity within the squad.

Højbjerg would be a decent shout, but if you never intend on playing him you might as well choose someone from a less 'potential' team. I mean if Long/Austin/JRod/Tadic fire up and Bertrand/VVD keep CSs, you might not want to have a useless Soton player preventing extra transfers in. Unlikely scenario, but I remember this happening to me.

Arhaych
FISOhead
FS Record: Voted "Most Suave Fantasy Manager" - 2012/2013

Post by Arhaych »

I can't really see any viable attacking options. Mostly 3 point machines.

I'll likely be going with Darren Fletcher or Adam Clayton.

cesc408
Grumpy Old Man

Post by cesc408 »

Fletcher for me. I play 343 and would chose 2 defenders over bringing in my 5th midfielder so dont need much thought in it

swadd1er
Dumbledore

Post by swadd1er »

I started a 'cheap starters' thread yesterday for this to be discussed but it looks like it's getting discussed here instead :lol:

redcat1
Grumpy Old Man

Post by redcat1 »

One i'll be keeping an eye on is Lewis Cook (BOU). Not sure if he'll start the first few game but can see him being a regular by the end of september

Finisher1
Dumbledore

Post by Finisher1 »

Roope wrote:I've usually gone for the 4.5 mid, but I'm not sure if I've been happy with this strategy. I might even go for a 5th mid up to 5.5 this season (Joshua King?) for increased dynamicity within the squad.
Would you ever play King rather than your four other midflielders? To me it seems pointless to pay extra money for someone that you'd never play.

eastcentral1
Dumbledore

Post by eastcentral1 »

someone rubbish so nobody buys him in the first place and he doesn't lose value

gallus
Grumpy Old Man

Post by gallus »

I went with Clayton. He should be nailed for 2 points a week.

MOBIUS
Treebeard
FS Record: FPL 2005-06 52nd. 2013-14 117th

Post by MOBIUS »

Fletcher or Barry for me. Cant see why anyone is expecting much in the way of points for a bargain bucket midfielder. Surely anyone is getting one in as an enabler. Regular starter is my only criteria. All well and good if we find one who might chip in with goals but at that price he's on the bench anyway.

dino1980
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: FPL Best, 1,000th 2014-15.

Post by dino1980 »

Whoever I end up with I know that it won't be the most popular option (I'll keep an eye on % owned). Last year I believe that was Wanyama - who I started with - when the wildcards got wielded in GW3 I'm fairly certain he dropped in value as a lot of people jumped ship to Westwood as he was on corners/some free kicks for Villa.

Finisher1
Dumbledore

Post by Finisher1 »

I'd love to have someone like Stanislas last season - not exactly nailed, but very attacking when he plays. I'm not exactly tempted by the usual "nailed on 2 points but never more", if I have a surprising injury I'd rather have a chance for big points (with a risk of 0 points) than certain 2 points but nothing more.

The Username
Grumpy Old Man

Post by The Username »

I was very impressed with Leko at WBA toward the end of the season think he played the last three or four games hes 17, but he looked a superb creative player, not sure if any WBA fans could comment on his chances, even coming of the bench looks like he has goals and assists in him.

RidleyMTB
Grumpy Old Man

Post by RidleyMTB »

gallus wrote:I went with Clayton. He should be nailed for 2 points a week.
I'm currently on this as well

Notned
FISO Knight

Post by Notned »

The Username wrote:I was very impressed with Leko at WBA toward the end of the season think he played the last three or four games hes 17, but he looked a superb creative player, not sure if any WBA fans could comment on his chances, even coming of the bench looks like he has goals and assists in him.
This.

I'll keep a close eye on pre-season, but he has the spot in my current draft.

Mav3rick
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FPL: 1082, 1201, 1800, 10203

The stats are dark and full of errors.

Post by Mav3rick »

If Moyes goes to Sunderland, does anyone think that might bring Rodwell at 4.5 into contention for a regular start? He must have been brought through the Everton youth system by Moyes which could work in his favour. His best attacking numbers (for shots and key passes) came in his Everton years.

Notned
FISO Knight

Post by Notned »

Mav3rick wrote:If Moyes goes to Sunderland, does anyone think that might bring Rodwell at 4.5 into contention for a regular start? He must have been brought through the Everton youth system by Moyes which could work in his favour. His best attacking numbers (for shots and key passes) came in his Everton years.
Could be a great shout, that! Definitely one to keep an eye on.

00tennis
Treebeard

Post by 00tennis »

Notned wrote:
Mav3rick wrote:If Moyes goes to Sunderland, does anyone think that might bring Rodwell at 4.5 into contention for a regular start? He must have been brought through the Everton youth system by Moyes which could work in his favour. His best attacking numbers (for shots and key passes) came in his Everton years.
Could be a great shout, that! Definitely one to keep an eye on.
Defo a shout, but for now Fletch is best pick then prob Hojberg/Watson or Capoue

The Real Slim Shady
Dumbledore
FS Record: 1,465th in FPL 05/06

Post by The Real Slim Shady »

Create a poll!

Stemania
FISO Jedi Knight
Location: On the Iron Throne of xG, the seat of The Crown Prince of the Stat Perverts. Or if not, in the STC!
FS Record: Best: TFF 321st. FPL 129th. FFS Career HoF Peak 2nd (Live 1st). Ability since lost.

Post by Stemania »

Have any Watford fans been keeping tabs on Capoue's position? Rumours he's been getting forward a lot in the centre of the 352, any truth in them?

2 goals so far in friendlies.

Mav3rick
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Mav3rick »

Notned wrote:
The Username wrote:I was very impressed with Leko at WBA toward the end of the season think he played the last three or four games hes 17, but he looked a superb creative player, not sure if any WBA fans could comment on his chances, even coming of the bench looks like he has goals and assists in him.
This.

Leko missing out today in what looks very first-teamy for WBA:

Foster; Dawson, McAuley, Olsson, Evans; Phillips, Fletcher (c), Yacob, McClean; Rondon, Berahino #WBA

Rodwell also missing out, though Whatmore (5.0) is playing for Sunderland:

Mannone, Jones, J Robson, Kaboul, Kone, Cattermole, Kirchhoff, Lens, Khazri, Borini, Watmore.

Probably kills off my interest in Leko and Rodwell, but Whatmore (assuming Borini drops out for Defoe) is on my radar as a useful 5.0 mid with a good bit of upside. Whether I can spare the cash for him remains to be seen, but I think he'd suit a 4-3-3 (FPL) lineup.

00tennis
Treebeard

Post by 00tennis »

Stemania wrote:Have any Watford fans been keeping tabs on Capoue's position? Rumours he's been getting forward a lot in the centre of the 352, any truth in them?

2 goals so far in friendlies.
''I know a number of you are hoping that Capoue will be your cheap 4.5 midfielder but based on this showing I'd look elsewhere. He isn't on all corners (he took them from the right, Holebas from the left) and while he has some licence to go further forward with the exception of one shot which flew past the right hand post he did very little. The oft talked about responsibility for free kicks didn't materialise, though in truth Watford didn't have any in shooting positions and played all the other one's short.

Weisenwolf
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: 2,234 points; back when this was considered a good score....

Post by Weisenwolf »

Mav3rick wrote:
Notned wrote:
This.

Leko missing out today in what looks very first-teamy for WBA:

Foster; Dawson, McAuley, Olsson, Evans; Phillips, Fletcher (c), Yacob, McClean; Rondon, Berahino #WBA

Rodwell also missing out, though Whatmore (5.0) is playing for Sunderland:

Mannone, Jones, J Robson, Kaboul, Kone, Cattermole, Kirchhoff, Lens, Khazri, Borini, Watmore.

Probably kills off my interest in Leko and Rodwell, but Whatmore (assuming Borini drops out for Defoe) is on my radar as a useful 5.0 mid with a good bit of upside. Whether I can spare the cash for him remains to be seen, but I think he'd suit a 4-3-3 (FPL) lineup.
If Watmore is playing out of position as the above suggests that could be a good call. Pretty decent fixtures too.

Mav3rick
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Mav3rick »

If he was OOP in the game then he's a no-go because Defoe will come in. Playing wide of the attacking three would be nice though.

dabezzz
Treebeard

Post by dabezzz »

Ben Watson for me. 4.5mil, on set pieces, scores a few here and there.

TheBigLewandowski
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: OR 1,259 2016/17

Post by TheBigLewandowski »

Gone with Darren Fletcher here. Seems to start every game for them. Always thought he was one of their best performers last season.

Stemania
FISO Jedi Knight
Location: On the Iron Throne of xG, the seat of The Crown Prince of the Stat Perverts. Or if not, in the STC!
FS Record: Best: TFF 321st. FPL 129th. FFS Career HoF Peak 2nd (Live 1st). Ability since lost.

Post by Stemania »

00tennis wrote: ''I know a number of you are hoping that Capoue will be your cheap 4.5 midfielder but based on this showing I'd look elsewhere. He isn't on all corners (he took them from the right, Holebas from the left) and while he has some licence to go further forward with the exception of one shot which flew past the right hand post he did very little. The oft talked about responsibility for free kicks didn't materialise, though in truth Watford didn't have any in shooting positions and played all the other one's short.
Thanks for that. In fairness a midfielder who takes some corners, has some licence to go forward, and has an outside chance of being on some freekicks is actually pretty decent for 4.5m I'd have thought.

Is previous set piece merchant Watson likely to be regular do we expect?

danbiro

Post by danbiro »

Routledge seems to be in decent preseason form. For 5.0 seems like a better bet than a 2 point 4.5 mid.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

SefSemillia
Treebeard

Post by SefSemillia »

Jordon Mutch - anyone. I liked him at Cardiff - made me some good FPL points so why not!

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Fantasy PremierLeague.com (FPL)”