To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Cheap starters

A Fantasy Football forum for news on fantasy football games run by the Premierleague (FPL).
swadd1er
Dumbledore

Cheap starters

Post by swadd1er »

It was inevitable that a thread like this was going to appear at some point and it may be that some people are waiting for this to pop up so they can discuss any information they have. Also mentioned in the 'must haves' thread.

So, who are the cheap starters out there and who are you going with as your 'placeholder'? (4.0 defenders, 4.5 mids and 4.5 strikers)

Arhaych
FISOhead
FS Record: Voted "Most Suave Fantasy Manager" - 2012/2013

Re: Cheap starters

Post by Arhaych »

My take on things (as this is a subjective topic)

There are no standout options at 4.0 apart from Jakupovic right now, and even then I've been told that Hull are actively pursuing a new GK.

Defenders (£4.5m):

Jonny Evans - WBA
Gareth McAuley - WBA
Papa Souare - CRY
George Friend - MID
Eric Pieters - STO
Ben Mee - BUR
Matt Lowton - BUR
Andy Robertson - HUL
Federico Fernandez - SWA
Neil Taylor - SWA

There may be a few others, but those are the most nailed on for me.

firestarter197
FISOhead
FS Record: FPL 3,002 in 2011/12, 6,583 in 2017/18

Post by firestarter197 »

Arhaych wrote:My take on things (as this is a subjective topic)

There are no standout options at 4.0 apart from Jakupovic right now, and even then I've been told that Hull are actively pursuing a new GK.

Defenders (£4.5m):

Jonny Evans - WBA
Gareth McAuley - WBA
Papa Souare - CRY
George Friend - MID
Eric Pieters - STO
Ben Mee - BUR
Matt Lowton - BUR
Andy Robertson - HUL
Federico Fernandez - SWA
Neil Taylor - SWA

I would add Francis from Bournemouth, club captain and nailed on. A couple of options from Sunderland @4.5 as well if anyone fancies them

Ralfbergs
FISO Knight
FS Record: Murfs Premiership Predictions Knockout Cup 13/14 Winner

Post by Ralfbergs »

West Brom options are actually quite good given that they starting fixtures ain't that bad

Rich2086
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: 09/10--2235--49,014

Post by Rich2086 »

Any value in the Strikers from 6.0 and cheaper? Maybe if Shako gets a move, id love to put Ings in but cant see him getting regular starts. To many question marks over the others the only viable strikers for me start at 6.5

Ralfbergs
FISO Knight
FS Record: Murfs Premiership Predictions Knockout Cup 13/14 Winner

Post by Ralfbergs »

Rich2086 wrote:Any value in the Strikers from 6.0 and cheaper? Maybe if Shako gets a move, id love to put Ings in but cant see him getting regular starts. To many question marks over the others the only viable strikers for me start at 6.5
You don't rate Rhodes? 6.0 from Middlesbrough. Scored 16 last year and top scorer from promoted teams. And this time I actually know him from before and have even seen him play when I travelled to England - he scored 2 goals against Charlton :D. In my opinion he is a really good pick for 6.0

Rich2086
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: 09/10--2235--49,014

Post by Rich2086 »

Ralfbergs wrote:
Rich2086 wrote:Any value in the Strikers from 6.0 and cheaper? Maybe if Shako gets a move, id love to put Ings in but cant see him getting regular starts. To many question marks over the others the only viable strikers for me start at 6.5
You don't rate Rhodes? 6.0 from Middlesbrough. Scored 16 last year and top scorer from promoted teams. And this time I actually know him from before and have even seen him play when I travelled to England - he scored 2 goals against Charlton :D. In my opinion he is a really good pick for 6.0

This is what I put in the other thread
Im no Boro fan but I wouldnt be quick to get Rhodes in, good championship striker but I think he will struggle in the prem. He needs a lot of chances to convert one and he wont get anywhere near the space in the champ compared to the prem. He's not blessed with lightening pace or strength like Deeney or Vardy, Boro bought him for one reason to get them out the Champ if they could get back something like what they paid he will be gone. Also they have signed Negredo today so even his game time might come into question. Karankas favoured formation is 4-2-3-1 I cant see that changing

For what its worth im pretty sure Burnley went 4-4-2 pretty much all season and Hull went 4-4-2/4-4-1-1

Mav3rick
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FPL: 1082, 1201, 1800, 10203

The stats are dark and full of errors.

Post by Mav3rick »

Probably worth keeping an eye on any Palace signings given Wickham is 6.0. Vokes has a very good record too if Burnley continue to play 2 up front.

The Username
Grumpy Old Man

Post by The Username »

Whose this years Lamabert, Austin, Igahlo?

Gray? Wilson? Rhodes?

Terry Henry
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: See me after class!

Post by Terry Henry »

The Username wrote:Whose this years Lamabert, Austin, Igahlo?

Gray? Wilson? Rhodes?
Igahlo and more so Deeney are still well priced, and could be great. I think Gray will do well, but who knows. There are lots of good options in this price range.

gallus
Grumpy Old Man

Post by gallus »

Gray? Wilson? Rhodes?
Wilson

The Username
Grumpy Old Man

Post by The Username »

Terry Henry wrote:

Gray? Wilson? Rhodes?
Igahlo and more so Deeney are still well priced, and could be great. I think Gray will do well, but who knows. There are lots of good options in this price range.
Austin might be the new Austin at Southampton as well. Im half tempted to go Austin and Gray with Aguero. The level of options in 6.5 striker are enticing. Benteke as well if he gets a move.

LamebrainEddy
Red & Blue Braces

Post by LamebrainEddy »

Gray? Wilson? Rhodes?
I don't think any of the promoted teams will score prolifically. Their defences will be solid though and i expect middlesbrough and burnley to scrape out of relegation. Gray's year will be comparable to Danny Ings' first season in the prem IMO - decent scorer lacking proper support. I might try a punt on Musa myself, I think under Ranieri he may be the value pick of the leicester attack

The Username
Grumpy Old Man

Post by The Username »

LamebrainEddy wrote:

Gray? Wilson? Rhodes?
I don't think any of the promoted teams will score prolifically. Their defences will be solid though and i expect middlesbrough and burnley to scrape out of relegation. Gray's year will be comparable to Danny Ings' first season in the prem IMO - decent scorer lacking proper support. I might try a punt on Musa myself, I think under Ranieri he may be the value pick of the leicester attack
He strikes me as a Deeney type Gray, he can also assist and on pens. Wilson as well was on pens.

LamebrainEddy
Red & Blue Braces

Post by LamebrainEddy »

The Username wrote:
LamebrainEddy wrote:

Gray? Wilson? Rhodes?
He strikes me as a Deeney type Gray, he can also assist and on pens. Wilson as well was on pens.
Aye but if the team isn't set up to attack the the number of shots he can take in a game is capped. Dyche will have learnt from Burnleys season in the prem and he will look for defensive stability first, maybe trying to nick a 1-0 win here and there. Looking at Watford, their goal scoring form didnt really kick in until a few games in but their season in the championship finished with 91 goals - nearly 20 more than Burnley last season. I'd rather take Deeney/Wilson over Gray for those reasons.

Of course I'll probably be completely wrong and Burnley will win the Prem

Geri
Red & Blue Braces

Post by Geri »

I don't understand the love for Paredes. He is the sixth most owned defender in the game. Is it only because of the price or is he somehow nailed ?

Roope
Red & Blue Braces

Post by Roope »

Geri wrote:I don't understand the love for Paredes. He is the sixth most owned defender in the game. Is it only because of the price or is he somehow nailed ?
It's due to the filters. He's the highest scoring (last season) max 4.0 defender. No idea if he's a starter. Plus its a cumulative effect, once people choose him more people are inclined to do so and so on (people assume that because he's the highest % owned, he's the best choice -- herd mentality, happens a lot in FPL).

redcanuck
FISOhead
FS Record: Sky sports Fantasy league Winner 2008-09

Post by redcanuck »

Defenders (£4.5m):

Jonny Evans - WBA
Gareth McAuley - WBA
Papa Souare - CRY
George Friend - MID
Eric Pieters - STO
Ben Mee - BUR
Matt Lowton - BUR
Andy Robertson - HUL
Federico Fernandez - SWA
Neil Taylor - SWA

Do you think it is suicidal to go with 5 of the above?

gallus
Grumpy Old Man

Post by gallus »

redcanuck wrote:

Defenders (£4.5m):

Jonny Evans - WBA
Gareth McAuley - WBA
Papa Souare - CRY
George Friend - MID
Eric Pieters - STO
Ben Mee - BUR
Matt Lowton - BUR
Andy Robertson - HUL
Federico Fernandez - SWA
Neil Taylor - SWA

Do you think it is suicidal to go with 5 of the above?
yes, you need more Baines. If he's back on pens he's a bargain of the season at 5.5

00tennis
Treebeard

Post by 00tennis »

Terry Henry wrote:

Gray? Wilson? Rhodes?
Be careful with Ighalo-bit of a Berahino case.....wants/wanted to leave and think big part of both their success last season was each other

00tennis
Treebeard

Post by 00tennis »

Gray deffo worth starting with>>can change to Wilson/AN Other when better fixtures if Gray hasn't ignited the PREM-also other bandwagons may will appear by then....

Gambit
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Gambit »

I also like Gray, always looked good whenever I've seen him and also like his fixtures - 5 of the first 7 at home including games against Swansea, Hull and Watford, I think points are there for him.

Berahino / Benteke if they move to teams who would start them every week, Palace would be a great move for Benteke.

SuperGrover
Grumpy Old Man

Post by SuperGrover »

gallus wrote:yes, you need more Baines. If he's back on pens he's a bargain of the season at 5.5
Why would he be back on pens?

Weisenwolf
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: 2,234 points; back when this was considered a good score....

Post by Weisenwolf »

He took the last one after others had failed

The Username
Grumpy Old Man

Post by The Username »

Roope wrote:
Geri wrote:I don't understand the love for Paredes. He is the sixth most owned defender in the game. Is it only because of the price or is he somehow nailed ?
It's due to the filters. He's the highest scoring (last season) max 4.0 defender. No idea if he's a starter. Plus its a cumulative effect, once people choose him more people are inclined to do so and so on (people assume that because he's the highest % owned, he's the best choice -- herd mentality, happens a lot in FPL).
His price will collapse very quickly though.

gallus
Grumpy Old Man

Post by gallus »

SuperGrover wrote:
gallus wrote:yes, you need more Baines. If he's back on pens he's a bargain of the season at 5.5
He took the last one and has something like a 15/16 record. That's probably the best in the league.

sibrown4
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: TFC Lions 2nd in League of Leagues Triumph. Draft FPL/TFF Combo League Winner 2018-19

Post by sibrown4 »

The Username wrote:
LamebrainEddy wrote:

Gray? Wilson? Rhodes?
Gray isn't a great footballer. His control is poor but whilst he does have the knack of finding the net in the championship Imwould avoid. Rhodes am not even sure he will be a regular.

00tennis
Treebeard

Post by 00tennis »

gallus wrote:
SuperGrover wrote:
He took the last one and has something like a 15/16 record. That's probably the best in the league.
16/17 (15th & only 1 he has missed v De Gea in 2014 I think it was) Le Tissier esq(think he only ever missed 1) from the penalty spot :mrgreen:

Terry Henry
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: See me after class!

Post by Terry Henry »

Gray with a brace already against Bradford.

SuperGrover
Grumpy Old Man

Post by SuperGrover »

00tennis wrote:
gallus wrote:
SuperGrover wrote:
16/17 (15th & only 1 he has missed v De Gea in 2014 I think it was) Le Tissier esq(think he only ever missed 1) from the penalty spot :mrgreen:
I don't think his success matters much or else he wouldn't have moved off them to begin with. I think what is much more important is that he hadn't taken one before that since GW11 of 2014.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Fantasy PremierLeague.com (FPL)”