To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Side-game data project / FPL data collection

A Forum for all Fantasy PremierLeague.com (FPL) Links, Mini-Leagues and Side Games (i.e. inter-FISO competitions run by FISO users)
Mav3rick
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FPL: 1082, 1201, 1800, 10203

The stats are dark and full of errors.

Re: Side-game data project / FPL data collection

Post by Mav3rick »

Tacalabala wrote:Ignore Data by GW, its superfluous - GRID is the vital data. I'll attached last season's and then you'll see what I mean
Ok, I see, so it's multiple rows for each GW, with each set of coloured rows a stat (like transfers made, or points hits) for that manager in each GW.

I think most of the info is there. Looks like you might need the GW rank/overall rank but I've seen that and can easily add it.

If you added an Excel sheet that pulled down the data from my site (into a new tab on your spreadsheet?) could you then do VLOOKUPs or similar to find the right row of imported data, and then get the grid updating that way?

Tacalabala
FISO Knight

Post by Tacalabala »

Mav3rick wrote:
Tacalabala wrote:Ignore Data by GW, its superfluous - GRID is the vital data. I'll attached last season's and then you'll see what I mean
Ok, I see, so it's multiple rows for each GW, with each set of coloured rows a stat (like transfers made, or points hits) for that manager in each GW.

I think most of the info is there. Looks like you might need the GW rank/overall rank but I've seen that and can easily add it.

If you added an Excel sheet that pulled down the data from my site (into a new tab on your spreadsheet?) could you then do VLOOKUPs or similar to find the right row of imported data, and then get the grid updating that way?
Yep, I think what you are proposing is correct.

To give a real idea, attached is last year's Data, Cup and Queries, so you can see how it looks in action - you need to unhide columns in the Cup sheets to actually see the data pull from Data.

Also, I've attached this year's URL list.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mav3rick
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Mav3rick »

Cool, I'll have a look tonight and see what I can make of it.

What is the best outcome for you? A recreation of the 'grid' online similar to what I'm doing for the GW score? So a big table that you can copy paste? I presume that you're doing much more in terms of data transformation once you have the 'grid'?

Tacalabala
FISO Knight

Post by Tacalabala »

If we were going to have a shared 'Mastersheet' in the cloud, GRID would basically be that sheet. I've never found the league pages useful beyond simply regurgitating what is already available on FPL pages to view (this is basically what I do with Spring League in the main.

Individual FPL player data => Mastersheet/GRID => Vlookup/Sidegames sheets

Tacalabala
FISO Knight

Post by Tacalabala »

Mav3rick wrote:Cool, I'll have a look tonight and see what I can make of it.

What is the best outcome for you? A recreation of the 'grid' online similar to what I'm doing for the GW score? So a big table that you can copy paste? I presume that you're doing much more in terms of data transformation once you have the 'grid'?
Absolutely ideally I'd like a recreattion of the data FPL used to produce in the queries (as you can see in the individual tabs in Data), but online GRID I could certainly work with as well, as long as it's something I can refresh on Excel then I'm happy :)

Thank you Mav, what I bloody hassle, another fine mess from FPL towers!

Mav3rick
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Mav3rick »

We might want to think about the storage and generation of the grid and the implied master sheet that it might evolve into. Recreating the old FPL data structure while useful to existing processes might not be the cleanest way forward. I think I'd favour building the grid and storing it.

I can present the information I currently have slightly differently to reproduce the grid on a per GW basis, but as I don't store anything the full grid over 38 GWs would be 40k queries to produce each time (if using the FISO league to get the initial team ids). I don't really want to store any data from FPL as it complicates maintenance of the data retrieval and transformation that I'm doing.

That's really the thing we need to connect I think... FPL team Ids -> gw performances -> storage in the grid.

Either a list of interesting team ids (and a way for you to pass them to my site) that can generate the grid on the fly for up to a few hundred teams, or an intermediate step where someone sucks in the data from my site using the FISO league each GW, updates the grid with Vlookups and then saves it on Google sheets or similar for everyone to use in their side games.

I'm fairly sure I could give you a page where you paste in comma separated team ids to produce the grid on the fly (this might not be great for Excel web queries, unless they can POST data?), but moving forward if we ever want enhanced data in the grid, I think it would be easier if it was a stored Google sheet or similar.

Hopefully someone reading might have some ideas, but if not I'll see if I can recreate the grid tonight and after work tomorrow. I'm a developer rather than an excel wizard, so maybe if we have one or two of those onboard we could find the best solution all round.

Tacalabala
FISO Knight

Post by Tacalabala »

Agreed with everything you've said - the thought had occurred to me only during the week that really we should centralised sidegame sign ups, what you are saying is another means of centralizing the data - anything you can do to recreate GRID will be magnificant, beyond that then I'm absolutely onboard.

Making joining the FISO Forum League ML an absolute requirement for 2017/18 is certainly an easy way forward also.

FPLCasual
Kevin and Perry

Post by FPLCasual »

Amazing work Mav3rick!

RomynPG
Dumbledore
FS Record: FPL 134 overall 06/07 ... never close since

Post by RomynPG »

A central repository is where I think this will lead.

I'm going to approach the 5AS stuff along the lines of get it working first and then look to replace it by moving it online over this season. (I want to move the whole game to the web - not just the data collection side)

My system parses the league pages from a list of leagueIDs and stores per squad each gws points scored, transfer cost, points nett &points overall. I then access that storage sheet (squad_stats) with various functions - get_FISOName(id), get_Squadstats(id, GW, points scored/point nett) - from other sheets.

I've put a cut down version of my base sheet for last years Champs League on gDrive - https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B724q ... 3BteWY1Q00 - that has the basics in it for reference.

I've got to replace the bit that gets each league page and parses it to get the data I need for squad_stats. For the Incredibles, for example, I need to call
https://fantasy.premierleague.com/drf/l ... &ls-page=1

and parse the json returned. I'm closing in on what I need - I think.

Mav3rick - I get the impression, correct me if I'm wrong, that the league page on your site generates itself by looking at each squad and not the league page itself? If I can consume json and only need gw points level info, and not goals assists cs etc, then fpls link would give me enough.

MoSe
Dumbledore
FS Record: FISODAS CUP Winner Season 25
FISO H2H Winner: 15/16 Div2 - 16/17 Div1
FISO Mirror: 16/17 PL Winner

Post by MoSe »

We both used webqueries Taca, but with a different approach.
Yours was more clearly organised, with a distinct tab for each username, which was also your key in the formulas
Mine was more compact although less readable, with no .iqy file saved, all queries import zones saved in the same tab, every 50th row (plenty room with 38 gw), and with the FPL ID embedded in the query name and in the zone name
I could the use parametric reference formulas, by inserting the idividual IDs (and NOT usernames) in the indirect zone names used in the lookup and index formulas

The amazing point, is that queries are required to import data from multiple sources with updating data , which URL is constant.
If I have all the needed data in one single source, I don't need automated queries any more: I'll just "import" the data from there with one single manual copypaste every gw. :mrgreen:
Of course I'll have to revamp the way I permanently store only the sidegame relevant data, and rearrange accordingly all the formulas in my division tables
Your problem, is that even abandoning the individual player iqy approach, you still have the problem of over 30 5AS leagues to draw from, and that's too much to do without queries
Not mentioning that the Cup has a furtherly different structure not linked to a single league

I figure you'll be forced to redesign your whole formula structure anyway
I'm just going from memory, and I'll be on mobile till the 22nd, I'll be happy to share some more punctual suggestion THEN, not earlier

The main goals should be
- to have a FISO username - FPL ID global reference DB, at least for all members involved in at least one side
- to have a rmt data page which does NOT draw the individual rows FPL ID from a league members, but from the above IDs list, so as to have a unique repository dedicated to ALL the fiso sidegames and not just a specific league
- or at least, to do the league data page not for a league, but for a shortlist of selected ID that we'd communicate to Mav and that he'd keep in a simple hidden page to only be used as input for the tool he already set on

We can't hope to replicate our last season solution and tools, they'll have to be revamped anyway

Finally, the Fencing Men Sword Team semi is about to start, so you'll have yo excuse me... 8-)

Tacalabala
FISO Knight

Post by Tacalabala »

5AS leagues? I think you have me confused with Romyn.

I'm surprised there is such variety in our methods, perhaps naively I assumed that you would have something like GRID if not identical, I can't imagine doing it another way(!).

MoSe
Dumbledore

Post by MoSe »

Yes sorry, you're both sidegame gurus in my view

Trying to summarise:
to keep unaltered your (our) last season formula structure, Mav should kindly provide us a different resource, simply a html replica of any teams history page, removing the new site pulselive banner, just with the data table
Of course you'd have to modify/reenter every query, as they'd have a different url from last season (they'd have had to anyway, as FPL changed all their urls too)

Or, as he imagined to organise the current tool he excellently provided, we migrate to a multiple teams single table, but with a single gw url
- teams selection issue: linked to a league is stfwd and easy, from an independent ID list would be more flexible and suitable, although I figure it would require more coding effort
- constant url thruout a season
That requirement is not satisfied by the current tool with the /1 syntax
I had suggested to replace it with a ?GW=1 syntax, which would still require us to learn how to setup parametric queries depending also from a variable value in a cell

That would be a different organisation of the data we import, but I fiugure you should still manage to gather them in a GRID summary table, you'll just have to change the formulas leading from the new import format to your usual GRID

kidzio
Wideboy

Post by kidzio »

Mav3rick wrote:
Tacalabala wrote::| My web queries don't work!

I'm going to need help, otherwise I really don't know what I'm going to do. Spreadsheet and iqy files attached.
I've had a look at your spreadsheet, it looks like most of the data you need on the "Data-By-GW" tab would be available on the link above. So for example, the FISO 5AS Bad Boys league has things like the GW score, points benched, transfer hits, team value etc.

If you can link up your FISO manager name to the FPL Team Id, then you should be able to import all the GW score data you need? I'd think that one web query to pull in all the GW scores from the FISO league into your Excel workbook would be your best bet, and then you can work out any massaging of the data within Excel if you need to keep any existing sheet formats?

This is the FISO league (31821) (it can take 20-30 seconds to load as there are 1,000+ entrants to get the GW scores for). Can you update your web query to pull in the information from that table?

If there is data that you're missing, let me know what you need and I'll try to retrieve it from the FPL JSON and display it as an extra column in the table for you to pull down. SG offered earlier to help out creating Excel files from the data, I suspect that some sort of standard FISO format downloadable Excel file would be useful, but if I'm honest I don't want to take on maintenance of that on top of the raw data and JSON parsing. I don't mind collaborating though and I can extract and present the relevant FPL data, if someone else can mould it into a useful Excel workbook.
I can't thank you enough! It's very good! Not sure if it's too much to ask for GW rank, overall Rank and captain as well? Thank you once again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FPLCasual
Kevin and Perry

Post by FPLCasual »

How long does it take to update scores on the RMT site?

https://ratemyteam.uk/Fiso/SideGameData/17443/1
https://fantasy.premierleague.com/a/lea ... 43/classic

Teams are order but scores are still from MD1.

Mav3rick
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Mav3rick »

Interesting, maybe the gameweek data URLs aren't quite right. Maybe I need to do something else as the match days go by rather than as the GWs pass.

I'll have a look at it tomorrow night.

RomynPG
Dumbledore

Post by RomynPG »

RomynPG wrote:I've got to replace the bit that gets each league page and parses it to get the data I need for squad_stats. For the Incredibles, for example, I need to call
https://fantasy.premierleague.com/drf/l ... &ls-page=1

and parse the json returned. I'm closing in on what I need - I think..
sussed it - got my downloads working from the link root above. Can tick through a list of leagues and store the data in my main lookup sheet - and it's lightning quick - does all 34 5AS leagues and the 20ish pages of FISO main league in seconds - and a single click.

Need to grab the current GW from another page to complete full automation but at least it works - and a lot simpler than parsing raw html. I'll post something to my gDrive later - it might help others.

FPLCasual
Kevin and Perry

Post by FPLCasual »

Mav3rick wrote:Interesting, maybe the gameweek data URLs aren't quite right. Maybe I need to do something else as the match days go by rather than as the GWs pass.

Nice job with the update :)

Mav3rick
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Mav3rick »

FPLCasual wrote:
Mav3rick wrote:Interesting, maybe the gameweek data URLs aren't quite right. Maybe I need to do something else as the match days go by rather than as the GWs pass.

There was something weird in the FPL GW data (which had the old points value). I've changed the code to look in a different place to get the points tally.

Mav3rick
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Mav3rick »

Tacalabala wrote:anything you can do to recreate GRID will be magnificant
This is the simplest thing I can do this evening given the data I already have, does it help at all?

It's the exact same data that I had before, but I'm loading and displaying it in the GRID format as I understood it. The GRID can work via a league ID (as in the URL above), or by supplying a comma separated list of team ids.

You can automate the step of copy/pasting in the team ids if you can get Excel to POST data (to recreate the form submission that you would otherwise do manually).

I've removed all styling as it doesn't seem relevant for this particular feature so it looks pretty ugly, but I thought less formatting is better here. Also, the "Change From Previous GW" hasn't been implemented, as it's not that easy for me to work it out the way that the data renders. I hope that's not a huge loss for you?

The GW rows will automatically be added as the new gameweek deadlines pass, but if you want it could be a static list of 38 rows with zeros in the rows for which we have no data.

Tacalabala
FISO Knight

Post by Tacalabala »

Thank you Mav, that does look promising, I'll have a play after the Chelsea game tonight and report back.

I know we'll come up with a great solution, but this is all unnecessary on FPL's part, it just smacks of the people having to legitimate their job by reinventing the wheel. There are plenty of other things they could done which would have greatly enhanced the game, including pay features, without having to take all this away.

Tacalabala
FISO Knight

Post by Tacalabala »

Yep, I can certainly roll with that :D The comma separate list function is perfect, I can copy and paste the list each time no problem. Please can you add the zeros for the weeks with no data? It sounds mad, but that way I can literally copy and paste into a sheet and my GRID could then feed off the raw numbers. Once up and running, I could do the whole thing in a matter of a minute, which is perfect for me. The fact that is can do this during the GW is brilliant, Saturday night updates are back on!

I'm blown away, I can't thank you enough to be honest :)

MoSe
Dumbledore

Post by MoSe »

I'll have to give it a run when I'll get on my work-PC, which could be after gw2, but at first look it looks like it will make my sidegame setup and update work A LOT EASIER than in previous seasons! :D

question:
should I insert 120 ID, will the lines wrap up or extend horizontally?
Hope there's NO line-wrap....

also, when copy-pasting, will excel recognise it as a table, or will it paste as single text lines, to be parsed?

will check next week

Yours is by far the best contribution to fiso fpl life, at least sidegame-wise
I'm almost happier than Viviani winning the Olympics Omnium gold ;)

FPLCasual
Kevin and Perry

Post by FPLCasual »

Mav3rick wrote:
FPLCasual wrote:

There was something weird in the FPL GW data (which had the old points value). I've changed the code to look in a different place to get the points tally.
Worked perfectly for end of GW. Big test will be next week with hits included.

RomynPG
Dumbledore

Post by RomynPG »

RomynPG wrote:Need to grab the current GW from another page to complete full automation but at least it works - and a lot simpler than parsing raw html. I'll post something to my gDrive later - it might help others.
Go it all going now and have uploaded a template sheet that is preloaded with all the 5AS squads (with FISOName) and the main FISO forum. Needs a couple of VBA Refrences to be there (Runtime Scripting, ActiveX and WinHttp) - list on the Control page - but once going it's a one-click update to work through a list a league IDs.

template on gDrive
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B724q ... GpzWWdadG8

There's also a example sheet with shows how easy it is to use the built-in formulas - =getSquadStats(ID, GW,Points scored) + others - no complex lookups. If you're running a game that only needs gw level detail, (points scored, points, nett, transfers, overall score etc), and not goals assists and other player level detail then give it a look - it's been the update base for many games over the years (Cup, Divisionals, 5AS H2H & Champs etc)

Talking of the Divisionals ... MoSe - how come your admin is a complex as it is? I understand, from looking at Taca sheets, that he uses player level data but the Divisionals is based on GW scores (scored or nett) and all your other data is based on that isn't it? The system I use for the H2H, above, is a doddle to use and worked for the Divisionals for years - and, unless I've missed something, would still be perfect for you. You don't need a league on FPL - when I needed to I just added the smallest league someone was in the list for those not in the FISO league - it would get everyone in the end.

Great work from Mav3rick - thanks dude - the revelation that the data was now able as json, as opposed to parsing html, has enthused me again on a sidegame central store.

(With the exception of some GUI issues) I really like to the new site - so much easier to get the data you need and the data is lovely and clean ...it's a pain barrier I'm more than happy to go through. Hopefully your work will let Taca/Mose get there also.

always a fun start to the sidegame season ...

Mav3rick
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Mav3rick »

RomynPG's sheet might be the best long term solution that people are looking for. It would certainly be better as the season wears on since it will be much faster than my site, which is reliant on looking up every FPL teams GW details to get the goals scored etc, which is data that isnt relevant to everyone.

It's good work RomynPG, and you're right that the site is much better for anyone who wants to do things with the FPL data.

Tacalabala
FISO Knight

Post by Tacalabala »

Mav3rick wrote:RomynPG's sheet might be the best long term solution that people are looking for. It would certainly be better as the season wears on since it will be much faster than my site, which is reliant on looking up every FPL teams GW details to get the goals scored etc, which is data that isnt relevant to everyone.

It's good work RomynPG, and you're right that the site is much better for anyone who wants to do things with the FPL data.
Romyn, could you include the 'missing' data, in that what is present on the history page should be the baseline?

At the moment your sheet does the ones in bold:

GW points - GW points on bench - GW rank - GW transfers - GW cost - Overall points - Overall ranking - Value - Change from previous week

We're in danger looking after our own needs and not also those of other potential sidegame runners as well. Which is my point really - I don't have the knowledge and experience you evidently have, and FPL's decision may well put people off running a sidegame if they put this barrier up.

Mav, please can you add the static zeros to your GRID aggregator?

Mav3rick
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Mav3rick »

Yes, will do taca. I'll try to do it by tomorrow evening.

Tacalabala
FISO Knight

Post by Tacalabala »

Thank you :) thanks to you, FISO Cup is now up to date, so pat yourself on the back

RomynPG
Dumbledore

Post by RomynPG »

(chopping your post in to two and reversing the order ... reply makes more sense that way...)
Tacalabala wrote:We're in danger looking after our own needs and not also those of other potential sidegame runners as well. Which is my point really - I don't have the knowledge and experience you evidently have, and FPL's decision may well put people off running a sidegame if they put this barrier up.
In the short term "our own needs" are very much the priority - I feel better knowing I've got the 5AS sorted and that other sidegames are close to adapting to the new data layout - and I'm happy to help others where I can.

Potential sidegame admins have to make up their minds about whether they can admin a game - there's always plenty of help about, as this thread shows - but at the end of the day its up to them to decide how complicated they make their data requirements and how they get that data.

I think the changes on FPL have made it much easier to run sidegames now and I'm looking forward to having a play.
Tacalabala wrote:Romyn, could you include the 'missing' data, in that what is present on the history page should be the baseline?
At the moment your sheet does the ones in bold:

GW points - GW points on bench - GW rank - GW transfers - GW cost - Overall points - Overall ranking - Value - Change from previous week
If "GW Cost" is tranfer penalties then that's the same as GW transfers (/4 ... WC excluded).
Overall points are there.

... as for the others - do you use them?

Occasionally I have needed data I don't collect in sidegames - tiebreakers etc - but in the rare cases they are needed I'll look the data up. I'm not going to collect squad-level data when I only "really" need gw-level just for the sake of it.

I can certainly adapt my template to help - and am looking at that now - but the fact is that if you want to get squad-level info someone is going to be grabbing data for each squad - be that Mav3rick, (who then aggregates it for me/you to grab), or me/you with Excel (or whatever).

...it's the same question to MoSe - what data to you really need - and what is just nice to have?

(To me the crucial thing with my approach is that the core data is separate from the sidegame specific sheets and that the data is called for via understandable formula - =getSquadStats(id,gw,stat) and not some vLookup nightmare. The vLookup nightmare is encapsulated in the functions).

Moist von Lipwig
FISO Knight
FS Record: FPL Spring 16 Winner 2010-11. Murfs F1 Predictions 2012 Winner. Pick Quick 2012-13 Winner. SP4s Predictions League A & Champions League

Post by Moist von Lipwig »

Got a nasty surprise yesterday in updating the H2H leagues, the web queries to pull in the results list and overall table now only return all the extraneous guff around the outside and none of the FPL info itself.

Using Office365 which only really has the option to pull in the page through a web query rather than individual tables - I'm going to have a try with Excel 2000 at home tonight, which for some reason seems to have more functionality and does break pages down into tables (or at least used to on the old site). So if that doesn't work my level of intelligence is stumped on just getting a straight copy of the results and table off the page.

I suspect even if the web query can be made to work I'm going to have to faff on with the data as they no longer have the team name and manager name in separate columns.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “FPL Links, Mini-Leagues & Side Games”