To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Chips

A Fantasy Football forum for news on fantasy football games run by the Premierleague (FPL).
The Real Slim Shady
Dumbledore
FS Record: 1,465th in FPL 05/06

Chips

Post by The Real Slim Shady »

Anyone else think 'chips' are a waste of time?

I only used mine in the last three weeks and it came to pretty much no use.

Go back to the one wildcard per season and no chips I say.

The Catman
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Winner 2013 TFC T20 wickets league; Winner 2012 F1 Fantasyracers.com. Winner Mirror FF Free League 2014/15. 6th TFC T20 runs 2016.

Re: Chips

Post by The Catman »

Don't particularly like them, didn't use AoA, was a bit lucky with Sanchez 25 pts TC'd, but able to load up on DGW players for BB which worked out pretty well even though a couple of players scored 0 for a game and Gomes didn't do much for me.

Expect we will still have them next season though.

DAREEL
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Winner of FISO McDonald's Euro 2016 official . league. FPL player since the game began. Successful cash mini league player that usually ends up in profit

Post by DAREEL »

I hate them. If it's not broke don't fix it and yes 1 wildcard imo.

Really hope for no more gimmicks next season. I think the bonus point system could be tweaked a bit too.

cesc408
Grumpy Old Man

Post by cesc408 »

Don't mind it either way. Think it takes more skill without the chips, I mean get "Lucky" with a BB or TC and as we saw it can net you a (possibly undeserved flukey) 25 additional points.

Would personally like to get 2 free transfers per GW week, but that's an entirely different story.

owenclass
Grumpy Old Man

Post by owenclass »

I love Chips

From4corners
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by From4corners »

The Real Slim Shady wrote:Anyone else think 'chips' are a waste of time?

I only used mine in the last three weeks and it came to pretty much no use.

Go back to the one wildcard per season and no chips I say.
Would you have said the same had these chips brought you more points?

Carlos Kickaball
Dumbledore

Post by Carlos Kickaball »

I think the chips were mostly good, overall they gave and should give, more benefit to skilful players who used them properly.

The idea that the chips necessarily increase luck is misguided thinking, people falling for a logical fallacy. Yes they are points that come in addition to the game and they could give you few or many points in quite a random fashion, but that is true of every additional gameweek or pick you make in the game, and does not necessarily increase the influence of luck. To give a similar example to those that are convinced that differing outcomes from the chips means luck is increased, I am fairly sure everyone would see that if we had a longer season with an extra gameweek that would decrease the influence of luck, however it would still be true that on that extra week alone managers could score many points or very few in a very random fashion.

Bob Newhart
FISO Knight

Post by Bob Newhart »

owenclass wrote:I love Chips
Prefer rosti, myself.

gallus
Grumpy Old Man

Post by gallus »

2 wildcards and no chips would be ideal.

Stemania
FISO Jedi Knight
Location: On the Iron Throne of xG, the seat of The Crown Prince of the Stat Perverts. Or if not, in the STC!
FS Record: Best: TFF 321st. FPL 129th. FFS Career HoF Peak 2nd (Live 1st). Ability since lost.

Post by Stemania »

I think they were quite fun personally, a bit gimmicky perhaps, but there was something quite exciting about seeing your whole bench play or an assist scoring 9 points.

Oh except AOA, which is pretty rubbish and will hopefully be replaced with a more exciting chip. :lol:

From4corners
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by From4corners »

Stemania wrote:Oh except AOA, which is pretty rubbish and will hopefully be replaced with a more exciting chip. :lol:
The "Captain Hindsight" chip.

wizardoffire
Dumbledore
FS Record: 2013/2014 FISO Hotshots league

Post by wizardoffire »

AOA was useless and in hindsight I probably shouldnt have used it

Overall though I kinda liked them, added a little bit more to the decision making process, plus I got to laugh at a few friends who played them at the most bizarre times :lol:

liquidfootball2
Dumbledore
FS Record: Best fpl finish 233 in 14/15

Post by liquidfootball2 »

AOA a complete nonentity of a chip should be put out of its misery.

The other chips will turn out to be an advantage for good players over casuals imo.

gallus
Grumpy Old Man

Post by gallus »

From4corners wrote:
Stemania wrote:Oh except AOA, which is pretty rubbish and will hopefully be replaced with a more exciting chip. :lol:
The "Captain Hindsight" chip.
Actually I'd love that. Change your captain after the games are played once in a season. :D

hancockjr
Dumbledore
FS Record: FPL: Not as good as it was, but still very respectable.

Post by hancockjr »

I like the chips,they bring extra skill and strategy, but I'd make one very important change which I think would improve them hugely. If there is a double gameweek, the chip should only apply to the first game of the week. That way there will be far more variety in the time it is played, ratherthan 90% of people waiting for DGWs.

Captain hindsight chip would be dreadful.

Suggestions for new ones? Maybe one where the vice captain becomes captain as well ("Double Captain Chip")?

gallus
Grumpy Old Man

Post by gallus »

hancockjr wrote: Captain hindsight chip would be dreadful.
Why? Every season we have a few 50-50 calls where one player ends up scoring a hattrick and the other blanks and people are going mad with rage. Captain hindsight solves that problem.

hancockjr
Dumbledore
FS Record: FPL: Not as good as it was, but still very respectable.

Post by hancockjr »

Firstly they are often not 50/50 calls. Often someone was just wrong, albeit the effect of the error was unexpected.

Secondly why allow someone to make up for an error - that's not assisting skill, it's reducing it.

Mr Clarinet
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Mr Clarinet »

hancockjr wrote:Firstly they are often not 50/50 calls. Often someone was just wrong, albeit the effect of the error was unexpected.

Secondly why allow someone to make up for an error - that's not assisting skill, it's reducing it.
And thirdly, the people who called it right first time are now the ones who are "going mad with rage"!

S_sutton87
Grumpy Old Man

Post by S_sutton87 »

I think it can give a good twist to the game as long as they don't add any more otherwise it will just start getting silly

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

Roope
Red & Blue Braces

Post by Roope »

I thought the chips were alright, a bit unnecessary perhaps, but I wouldn't mind either way. I'd rate my own use of them somewhere aroud 6 to 7/10. Next year I'll prioritize the TC over BB, so save the TC for the most alluring DGW and worry about the BB elsewhere.

AoA is close to useless though and I agree it could be replaced with something more interesting. I used it early on but I think I lost about 4 points because of it. Probably best to save it for a GW when/if you don't have enough playing defenders and ignore it otherwise. A chip that doesn't have to be used at all, IMO.

Gambit
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Gambit »

I like the chips, anything that shakes it up a bit is all good, AOA was by far the weakest so if it is replaced I'd like to see:

goals galore - all goals scored by your players count double - for the week when you have great attacking fixtures

transfer spree - three free transfers not one, for an injury crisis

captain safety net - If your vice captain outscores your captain he is the one whose points are doubled, for those weeks with two obvious picks but the one you pick blanks! :)

0.1 - gives you an extra 0.1 on your transfers, for when you are that tiny bit short on your dream transfer

Anything really, all those websites now crunching all the data, the chips can throw in a hand grenade!

gallus
Grumpy Old Man

Post by gallus »

Gambit wrote: captain safety net - If your vice captain outscores your captain he is the one whose points are doubled, for those weeks with two obvious picks but the one you pick blanks! :)
That's a good one! :D It would probably cause even more rage than we have now and it can't possibly lower your score.

Willij5
FISOhead

Post by Willij5 »

What if you vice scores 1 more point, guttered you used a fantastic chip for an additional point.

What about trade a chip for a wildcard or a number of free transfers etc?

Captain hindsight I like, but you have to choose a player to be your hindsight choice before the gameweek, but how would it work? do you manually choose it? Do you lose the chip if your original choice does the business? Does it take affect over a certain point differential? I think Double captain or joint captain would work better.

reds363
Dumbledore
FS Record: FPL 28th 06/07; TFFO 3rd 09/10; TFF 3rd 12/13

Post by reds363 »

Willij5 wrote:What about trade a chip for a wildcard or a number of free transfers etc?
Ooh interesting idea.

How about, give each manager 4 chips a season, they can use each chip for either a WC or BB or TC? So up to you whether you use 4 WCs or 1 WC + 3 BBs or whatever combo you like? :D

Blue Fire
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Blue Fire »

At first I thought they'd increase the luck factor. Didn't really like them.. especially TC. But both TC and BB won me two mini-leagues, so I ain't complaining :P
AoA is useless though. Hopefully, they'll replace it with something better

Isalla
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Isalla »

I'd like to see who thinks AoA is useless when snow falls and only three games are on in a GW :)

maradonash
Red & Blue Braces

Post by maradonash »

Isalla wrote:I'd like to see who thinks AoA is useless when snow falls and only three games are on in a GW :)
But for that to be of any help, wouldn't all 8 of your mids/forwards have to come from those 6 teams? :?

Vsz
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Won lots of cash leagues and was once, very briefly, top of TFF. Finished 15th too. Various top 5K and 10K FPL finishes

Post by Vsz »

I liked the chips to be honest! Favoured those who plan the most.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Fantasy PremierLeague.com (FPL)”